DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best!

Sirloin
2005/10/31 11:52:32
It's the end of October, which means the pumpkin ice cream is coming to its annual end.
Just got a quart last night for visiting family...all were skeptics of pumpkin ice cream, all were believers and lovers of Max's pumpkin ice cream after tasting.

Max's is on Wisconsin Ave in Glover Park nieghtborhood. Somewhere around the 2400-2600 block of Wisconsin Ave., south of the Russian embassy across from Guy Mason Park.

I also tried the blueberry white chocolate. Which is fresh blueberry ice cream with white chocolate chunks.

The blueberry ice cream is so good, I would almost rather is came without the white chocolate pieces, but since I love white chocolate, I enjoyed it all the same.

For all DC visitors, this is a small family run ice cream shop (no other location) and all the ice cream is made on site.

PS Happy Halloween!!!

mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2005/11/02 10:31:36
Thanks for all the info about D.C. places.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2006/10/11 14:05:28
another year has passed and Max's Best Ice Cream still makes IMO the best pumpkin ice cream in the mid-atlantic (I'd say "country" but I want to stay humble...and frankly, I haven't had ALL the pumpkin ice cream in the country...so I'll stick to mid-atlantic)
The pumpkin flavor is only available in October.

MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2006/10/16 02:30:56
Huummmm, I can see it now. Dear PP I need to make it down to DC for a fix. Ya know a couple half-smokes from Ben's and then a double scoop of pumpkin ice cream from Max's Best Ice Cream. I'll see ya later.

Mike

Yeahhh, that'l work
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2006/10/16 02:31:38
Scorereader, is there a Metro stop nearby? Which one?

MikeS.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2006/10/16 07:27:01
quote:
Originally posted by MikeS.

Scorereader, is there a Metro stop nearby? Which one?

MikeS.
I'll be in DC friday and saturday this comeing weekend with my ex she likes different ice cream, it would be nice to give it a try. Chow Jim
tarragon
Cheeseburger
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2006/10/16 17:05:40
The closest Metro station, imo, would be Tenleytown/American Univ., at 4501 Wisconsin Ave.; from there, you can ride any of the 30 (30, 32, 34, 36) buses down Wisconsin to the 2400-2600 block of Wisconsin, where Max's should be. Tenleytown/AU is on the Red Line; there are other stops you could get off at - Dupont Circle, where you'd take the P Street Line (G2) to get over to Wisconsin, but then you'd have to catch a bus up Wisconsin. Or you could ride the Blue Line to Foggy Bottom/GWU, and catch one of the 30 buses headed -up- Wisconsin. I think the Red Line Tenleytown stop is probably the best bet.

Good luck! Heh, now I'm thinking of heading over there for some of that Pumpkin ice cream. [:p}]
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2006/10/16 17:37:33
tarragon, thanks for posting the directions. I wasn't able to respond sooner.

I'd metro to tenleytown, and exit on the West side of the street.
Take any bus that comes by to Calvert Street and hop off. It'll just be a few more steps down from the Calvert St bus stop to Max's. It'll be on the same side the bus lets you off.

If you want some more neighborhood places (tourists do not typically find Glover Park neighborhood), go to Kavanaugh's Pizza Pub (formerly Faccia Luna) for wood oven pizza. Then hit Max's for desset. Across the street, there will probably be a softball game under the lights at Guy Mason park. The restaurant, the ice-cream, the game, all creates a very small town feel, just a half mile or so from Georgetown.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2007/10/11 16:16:42
Yup, another year has passed and once again, Pumpkin Ice Cream is the hot seller at Max's Best.

Forgive my yearly reminder, but it's one of my small pleasures. It makes Fall in DC (which is colorless compared to my native Upstate NY) seem uniquely special, because this ice cream rocks, IMHO.

Also, I can't help notice that a few more DC area people who have joined the site this year. Glover Park is so often overlooked, that I feel obligated to give Max his yearly plug.

divefl
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2007/10/11 16:43:58
Never been there, but that may change. little rocklands and icecream.
hep2thejive
Hamburger
RE: DC Area -quick, Run to Max's Best! 2007/10/16 09:49:39
Max's is great. I've been going there since 1999 or 2000, I think.

The Mozambique ice cream is good as well.

Hep