Hot & Sour Soup

Sirloin
2005/11/03 16:16:20
Just what exactly is the "wood ear" that is in most hot n sour soups at the chinese joints?
rjb
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2005/11/03 16:17:21
A mushroom.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2005/11/03 18:23:59

Thanks...After all these years eating it, I just had to ask....
The Mikado
Hamburger
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/06/12 14:45:40
And for my part, it should be in ALL such soups.
mbrookes
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/06/13 13:28:46
Actually, a wood ear is a shelf fungus that grows on the side of hardwood trees.

One of the best things I've ever eaten was "fungus in whiskey sauce" served at the home of a Chinese friend's grandparents.This was made of wood ear (also called hickory chicken by some people). They didn't speak much English, but they cooked like angels!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/06/13 14:21:47
"Wood Ear" is a large blackish fungus (mushroom) shaped like a large ear. And, like all mushrooms, very good for your health.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/06/13 16:16:50
Roosy, are you going to attempt to make this again?? I told you last time.......just order take-out, it's a heck of a lot faster......and the same result!!
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/07/06 10:30:20
Wood Ear is to Van Gogh as Wood Teeth were to George Washington.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/07/06 10:34:19
****z n' giggles aside....Hot and sour soup is a delightful soup for those whom are fans of spicy food. My only complaint about it is that it is usually made with too much Xanathan Gum, a natural thickener. I'd enjoy the soup more if it wasn't so gooey thick.
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/07/06 10:36:45
quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

****z n' giggles aside....Hot and sour soup is a delightful soup for those whom are fans of spicy food. My only complaint about it is that it is usually made with too much Xanathan Gum, a natural thickener. I'd enjoy the soup more if it wasn't so gooey thick.

I judge every Chinese place I eat by this dish. It's a good indicator as to whether the rest of the menu's going to be worth eating.
jerzeydawg
Cheeseburger
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/07/06 10:49:28
quote:
Originally posted by jmckee

quote:
Originally posted by jerzeydawg

I judge every Chinese place I eat by this dish. It's a good indicator as to whether the rest of the menu's going to be worth eating.

Isnt Chinese food great?

It's like a work of art.

I enjoy watching them make the food in the take out places. I usually stand at the counter and watch them cook the whole order. It's such a wonderful thing to watch how they have such a precise system for cooking in those woks.

What are some of your favorite chinese food dishes?

Better yet, i think i'll start a new thread on this as more people will be able to see it. http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20855
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/07/09 20:34:50
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Roosy, are you going to attempt to make this again?? I told you last time.......just order take-out, it's a heck of a lot faster......and the same result!!

LOL... Lisa, check the date of my OP....
I see it was revived..
2 years later and many TAKE OUT orders, I now know what a wood ear mushroom is.... LOLOL....
(Yes, I am sticking with the take out)
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/07/10 04:36:28
Roosy.......I TOLD YA!! I too love hot and sour and have made it from scratch in my restaurants but requires the better part of my morning (or is it mourning?) to julienne all the ingredients, peel the water chestnuts and just do the mise en place for a soup that takes 20 minutes to throw together. The worst part was that it was SO GOOD me and my staff ate a lot of it so I would have to make another soup in the afternoon.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Hot & Sour Soup 2007/07/11 23:49:30
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

Roosy.......I TOLD YA!! I too love hot and sour and have made it from scratch in my restaurants but requires the better part of my morning (or is it mourning?) to julienne all the ingredients, peel the water chestnuts and just do the mise en place for a soup that takes 20 minutes to throw together. The worst part was that it was SO GOOD me and my staff ate a lot of it so I would have to make another soup in the afternoon.

Oh Maybe one day. I found an Asian Market about 20 miles away off the beaten path.....