Why is cake so rare in restaurants?

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
  • Reward points : 0
Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Sat, 11/5/05 12:48 PM
I don't recall seeing cake on many restaraunt menus the last few years. I don't know if this is a regional thing to the Pacific Northwest or if I'm off-base. What do other people think about this?

Willly
  • Total Posts : 396
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Sat, 11/5/05 12:55 PM
At the original Smith and Wolensky in NY, the excellent coconut cake is only hard to find after my wife finishes her two servings (one is usually packed to go)...

Actually, and I think that some restaurant professionals could pipe in, the labor cost vs. price you can charge is high relative to other desserts which are perceived as more "up-market" or "value-added." Think how little time a creme brulee, hot apple tart, or molten chocolate cake takes to prepare, vs a wonderful cake. Also, there is the issue of how long a cake can hold relative to desserts that are single serving and finished to order.

That's just my guess...

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Sat, 11/5/05 1:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

I don't recall seeing cake on many restaraunt menus the last few years. I don't know if this is a regional thing to the Pacific Northwest or if I'm off-base. What do other people think about this?

All of the Greek/American Family restaraunts around here have cake! I think this is the right name for this type place!

tsores
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Mon, 11/7/05 11:37 AM
I wonder if it is an issue of shelf life?

the grillman
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Mon, 11/7/05 11:44 AM
Because most cakes are not easily distinguished from box mixes. Exceptions are carrot cake, good quality chocolate cake, and cheesecake.

Pies, pastries, custards, and fruit desserts are a bigger challenge of a restaurants' capabilities anyway.

Scallion1
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Mon, 11/7/05 3:40 PM
I have to disagree.

The underlying chemical taste of any "mix" cake is, at least to me, unmistakeable.

Pies can be difficult. Pastries? I'm unsure what that includes, but unless you're doing elaborate petits fours I'd say they're do-able.
Custards are every chef's dream: extremely easy to make, with an almost invisible food cost, and appeal across a wide range of cultural and ethnic tastes.

During the great creme brulee excitement, years ago, I never failed to marvel at how much I could get away with charging for a couple of yolks and a few ounces of cream.

Cakes are tougher. Many more variables in a cake batter, and much more sensitive to variations in oven temperature. This is a big factor, especially in smaller restaurants where the pastry chef shares ovens with the line cooks and it's hard to get an even, consistent heat.

Personally, I still cherish my mother's devil's food cake, made with raspberry preserves or, if she was feeling whimsical, pineapple preserves, between the layers. I'm getting weak just thinking about a huge slice of that with some ice-cold milk.

bcory
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Mon, 11/7/05 3:53 PM
Cake goes stale fast

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1909
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Tue, 11/8/05 9:29 AM
I like restaurants that have those cheesey revolving cake/pie display cases in the lobby. If they are well stocked with fresh stuff, we usually buy desert. (example, Post Office Pub in Grafton , Mass). If the case is filled with cakes that are covered with saran wrap that is held up off the cake with toothpicks, we usually do not. As bcory says, most restaurant cake is stale. UPDATE: to add the link www.thepulsemag.com/Dining/popub.html for the aforementioned Post Office Pub. The review has a paragraph on the deserts.

garryd451
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Tue, 11/8/05 5:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

I like restaurants that have those cheesey revolving cake/pie display cases in the lobby. If they are well stocked with fresh stuff, we usually buy desert. (example, Post Office Pub in Grafton , Mass). If the case is filled with cakes that are covered with saran wrap that is held up off the cake with toothpicks, we usually do not. As bcory says, most restaurant cake is stale.

Yes, that is what those Greek/American Places have, that I mention in the previous post!

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Tue, 11/15/05 8:00 PM
Try Cheese Cake. Try any Italian restaurant...at least on East Coast.

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Thu, 11/17/05 4:01 PM
I see chocolate cakes, cake and icing, deep, dark, rich one.

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Thu, 11/24/05 1:13 AM
Was a chaperone on a Memphis trip and went to the A and R Barbecue where I sampled absolutely divine German Chocolate and Lemon cake. i believe they made their own.

Minns
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Wed, 11/30/05 2:56 PM
It'd be nice to see more choices besides chocolate cake (as that's usually what I see cake-wise) on the menus... However, dessert bars (or "after-dinner restaurants") are now popping up around the country, which could make for a fun evening.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Wed, 11/30/05 4:15 PM
I see cakes all over the place here in the middle of California.. unfortunately most of them are either chocolate overload or extra gooey carrot.. I'm with Minns in that I'd like to see more dessert choices other than the obvious ones.. flavored creme brulees or even simple custards, pies other than apple or cherry, interesting pastries, puddings, or homemade ice creams.

garryd451
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Wed, 11/30/05 10:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Minns

It'd be nice to see more choices besides chocolate cake (as that's usually what I see cake-wise) on the menus... However, dessert bars (or "after-dinner restaurants") are now popping up around the country, which could make for a fun evening.

THIS IS NEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone knows of one of these in Indiana or Michigan, please make a post!

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Why is cake so rare in restaurants? - Wed, 11/30/05 10:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

quote:
Why is cake so rare in restaurants?

Because it isn't usually well done... :rimshot:

I just saw this!! LOL!