Hot!11th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 13th , 2014 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 43
Author
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2324
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/14 20:12:35 (permalink)
I think Galloping Hill Inn would be more convenient for most of the Jersey people as it is right off the Parkway. And the lot doesn't usually fill up until after 12:00. If by chance it was full, there is a strip mall right across the street that has plenty of parking. The A&P located there has closed.

As for Jimmy Buffs, I had suggested the East Hanover location back in January after I had first gone there. So far it's Jimmy Buffs, Papaya King, and Libby's. Libby's was on the itinerary last year, but we had time for only one stop, and Rutts was voted over Libby's. I think Libby's will prove popular. Before eating we can walk across the street and catch a view of the Falls.

J's Beef was also on the itinerary last year, but was left off because the owner's father died a week before the tour and he had to close. Now J's Linden restaurant is closed permanently. He had mentioned that he would be opening again in Seaside Heights, but as of now is not open. Neither is Father& Son who is supposed to move into the building that J's vacated.

So it looks like we have 3 so far. It was decided at the last tour to not go crazy with a lot of stops. Six or Seven would be ideal. First year we did 5. If we meet at the Galloping Hill Inn, that would be another.

The tour is less than 4 months away, so your comments and suggestions are welcome. Someone told me to contact Mark DeCarlo of the Travel Channel as he might be interested in covering our tour. I e-mailed the Travel Channel and was given a P.O. box address to contact Mark. I will be writing him soon. It would be great to have our tour televised.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/14 21:08:21 (permalink)
I will vote to make Amazing Hot Dogs a stop again. But-- we can't get lost and go by that Dunkin' Donuts three times on the way there.

I don't know how many of those on the tour noticed it, but on the way to Amazing Hot Dogs we went by the same Dunkin Donuts three times.

Is there a way to work Charlie's Pool Room into the tour? It is way off the path, but it would be great.
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/14 21:34:26 (permalink)
Gosh...this is difficult...a veritable embarrassment of riches. Trying to narrow down which great New Jersey Hot Dog spots to visit is like trying to decide who to cut from the 1927 Yankees roster.

Though, if hard-pressed, to those already mentioned I'd add Tony's Truck in Branchbrook Park, Newark; Tommy's, as well as Jerry's, 2nd Avenue, Elizabeth, and Amazing Hot Dog, Verona, N.J.

Second Avenue, Elizabeth, N.J...Hot Dog's quarter acre....where the latitude and longitude of HotDogdom intersect. It's practically a culinary phenomenon. For there, my friend, is where you will find both Tommy's and Jerry's. Best Italian Hot Dog and the best dirty water dog, respectively. A little bit of frankfurter Nirvana, right there in Elizabeth, N.J.

I realize that getting to both Tommy's and Jerry's presented some logistical problems last year due to the height of the motor coach and some low bridges we hadn't thought about encountering. However, if it's planned out ahead of time, it should be a piece of cake. Which, incidentally, I'll miss by not going to Calandra's.

But then, playing Devil's Advocate, what about Rutt's Hut, Clifton? How can you have a N.J. Hot Dog Tour without an internationally know ripper...and that relish? Oh, it's enough to cross Solomon's eyes.
The Bear
foobuc
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 150
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/14 22:25:56 (permalink)
i am trying to convince my mother and my brother to go on thsi tour. if you throw rutts hut in there she may drive the bus herself w/ the pedal to the metal! is there still room on the bus and if yes, when do we let you folks know if it is yay or nay. i am all for going but my schedule is always last minute. being it is the middle of my selling month though, i don't see a problem. i'm hungry now...
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/14 23:32:51 (permalink)
I'm glad that we will be adding at least 3 new places this year, Papaya King, Libby's, and Jimmy Buffs. As for the others, I say again let's try to get a consensus. I, as well as the people that live in central or north Jersey can get to any of these places anytime, so it doesn't matter to me if we leave out some of the ones we've gone to every year. Especially since some of them really don't seem to appreciate the business we bring them.

Papaya King is something new to Jersey. It's a New York City style frank featuring a grilled Sabrett dog; something we have not had on any tour. Libby's serves what many consider the quintessential North Jersey Texas Weiner. For those who like Rutt's Hut (which was picked over Libby's as the last place on last years tour) Libby's serves the same Thumanns dog for deep frying that Rutt's does. You can get it with or without the chili sauce. Jimmy Buffs will be a great addition. Here you can get an Italian Hot Dog that is on the same level as Tommy's and arguably better. You can also get the same dog served at the former Syd's, which in my opinion, is better here. They serve the same dog as Jerry's, dirty water style. And they serve the Schickhaus, or Max's dog. So even though this is one place, they serve a variety of dogs.

Being that Jimmy Buffs serves an Italian dog (as does Tommy's) and a boiled Best's natural casing 8 to a lb dog (same as Jerry's) we might want to consider leaving these 2 out. Especially if we opt for the motor coach. One Italian Hot Dog joint is enough, especially when we've never been to Jimmy Buffs. We've gone to Charlies (which is now only a shell of what it used to be), Dickie Dees, and Tommy's at least twice. And if you like the fried hot dog at Amazing Hot Dog, Jimmy Buffs serves the same brand dog (Best's) but it is the same size as the Syd's dog, which I prefer to the shorter, thicker dog at Amazing. It's sauteed in the tilted steel pan which I also like better than the deep frying method at Amazing. Sometimes the big quarter pounder is not served hot enough there. And the chili at Buffs makes an excellent topping to any of their dogs. So at Buffs you have a wide variety to choose from. If you don't like Italian style, it won't be a wasted stop as they serve the Syd's dog, one like Jerry's, one like Amazing, and one like Max's.

I liked Tony's Truck and think it is the best hot dog truck I've been to. I'm torn about returning as they didn't seem to want our business. One of the owners said he just didn't want the publicity fearing that it would make them a target to be robbed. What do you think?

I would love to go to Charlies Pool Room. Two problems though. It's a lot further than the places on our list so far. They have only one frying pan that they prepare their dogs on. It would take a long time to be served. I would like to go with perhaps a smaller group in the future. Maybe I can call ahead and see if they could somehow accomodate us.

Rutt's Hut? I have mixed feelings regarding them as well. Their dog is either loved or hated; there seems to be no middle ground. We've gone there all 3 years and there are many who skip this stop. And I found out that the owners sometimes hassle some of the attendees, maybe confusing them with Munchmobile members who didn't rate this dog as highly as they would have liked. I'm not crazy about their attitude, but I like their dogs and realize that it is a very popular and unique place. I would just as soon hit Papaya King in Clifton and walk across the street to the Getty Grill, a hot dog joint that I've never been to.

As I've said earlier, I live close enough to go to any of these restaurants as often as I want. What I've stated are just my opinions and suggestions. I would rather please the people who look forward to this tour and don't have the chance to get to all of these places. So let's get an idea of where everyone wants to go. I would say Jimmy Buffs, Papaya King, and Libby's are definites. Let's add another 2, 3, or 4 places. Whatever you decide is fine with me.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/15 08:38:11 (permalink)
Just dont leave out Galloping Hill - the best hot dog on the best roll in all of Jersey.

Cheers, John
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1873
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/15 16:38:15 (permalink)
Hello all ,
Great ideas John .
For those that want to reserve seats for the Jersey Dog Tour in Sept . feel free to email me and I will put you on the list .
We had 44 last year and have the mortorcoach reserved .
I agree with John to leave out Tommys and Jerrys and also Amazing Hot Dogs as long as other new stops have similar and equal tasting dogs.
I love the idea of Libbys , Papaya King and Jimmy Buffs to go along with our starting point of Galloping Hill Inn .
We could use two or three more and suggestions are always welcome , or email John to get your point across which places you would like added .

First I heard about Rutts giving a hard time to some atendees . I have no problem if this is left off the list this year . I would suggest we also leave off Tonys Truck as the negative karma from them countered the great tasting dog .

Next if anyone wants to try Charlies Pool Room someday , let me know , and we could carpool there from say Galloping Hill .

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/16 07:46:24 (permalink)
Benzee -

I am up for Charlie's Pool Room any time. We might be able to work in a few other western NJ stops as well.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/16 23:13:09 (permalink)
Akavar ,
Sounds good buddy . I will check with Coney Island Lou and John to see what days are good for them

Benzee
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/17 07:48:56 (permalink)
You guys are welcome any time.

I might suggest that we meet somewhere here in west central NJ. I do not know where all of you live, but there might be a meeting spot further west than Galloping Hill that is more convenient. That is only a suggestion. I am already here - it is up to those traveling to figure out where to meet.

My suggestions for stops are:

Charlie's Pool Room, Alpha, NJ
Toby's Cup, Philipsburg, NJ
Buddy's Grab 'n Go, Flemington, NJ
Dilie's Corner, Stockton, NJ (it is actually right across the river in PA and a beautiful location)
Hot Rod's, Washington, NJ
Hot Dog Johnny's, Butzville, NJ

This is just a list for consideration. Charlie's Pool Room and Toby's Cup are less than 10 minutes apart. Those should be the base that the rest of the tour is built around.

Who knows - this might even get to be considered an official mini meet!!
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/17 17:24:25 (permalink)
Akavar ,

If you would like to set up this intinerary and order of visit , sounds good to me .

Those six sound good to me . I do not know the area so I would leave the logisitcs to you .

Is the weekend or during the week good for you

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/17 20:06:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by seafarer john

Just dont leave out Galloping Hill - the best hot dog on the best roll in all of Jersey.

Cheers, John

On our first tour, the vote was split between Syd's and the Galloping Hill Inn for favorite dog. Both different styles; Syd's a spicy Jewish or kosher style all beef dog, Galloping Hill Inn a German style pork and beef dog. I would say that the dog at the Galloping Hill Inn is the best or one of the three best of it's type. And you can't get this brand of dog anywhere else but the distributor. Two other dogs that I would rate with this one are the dog at Karl Ehmer's (which is served at a cart, but too far from the other stops) and the quarter pounder at Jimmy Buffs. It will be interesting to see how the Jimmy Buffs dog compares with the Galloping Hill dog in the opinions of those who prefer this style. I'm all for leaving the Galloping Hill's dog in. I personally prefer it to the deep fried dogs.

"I agree with John to leave out Tommys and Jerrys and also Amazing Hot Dogs as long as other new stops have similar and equal tasting dogs."

Jimmy Buff's serves the same dog as Jerry's (8 to a lb Best natural casing) dirty water style. I have yet to sample this one at Jimmy Buffs. For those who are looking forward to sampling an Italian Hot Dog on this trip, this Jimmy Buffs location serves one that compares favorably to Tommy's. In fact, these 2 are the 2 best in the state, with Attilio's Kitchen just behind in my opinion. I've been eating at Jimmy Buffs a lot on Tuesday (Fat Tuesday; half price for I-dogs) and Tommy's on Sunday. More and more I'm enjoying Jimmy Buffs. A little less greasy, better bread and peppers. The potatoes seem fresher, while Tommy's has more oil on theirs.

Syd's is gone, but those who loved their dog can get it at Jimmy Buffs. You can ask for it prepared the same way as Syd's (boiled, then grilled) or say nothing and get it sauteed in oil then charbroiled. This is how I like it. If you like the fried dog at Amazing, you can get the same brand dog sauteed in oil. Just ask for it to be prepared this way. And while Jimmy Buffs doesn't have the wide variety of toppings like Amazing, they do have a chili that is unique and a perfect companion to this dog.

We have 4 stops already. I'd like to add 1 or 2 more. Maybe 3 if the majority insist. Remember, at Jimmy Buffs you can get 5 types of dogs (Italian, Syds, Jerry's, Max's, Amazing) that are as good or better than where they are served elsewhere, so you can sample or share more than one different dog.

I'm kind of leaning towards including Rutt's, as their dog is unique with that relish and popular, though many dislike it. But if we do include it, I will go first and speak with the owners.

We have 4 (maybe 5 with Rutts). Let's have some imput on another stop or 2. I think it's fair to go with what the majority wants.

I'd also like to hit out of the way places like Charlies Pool Room, Toby's Cup, and Karl Ehmers. But this would be better if done in smaller groups carpooling. For me, it's unfortunate that I work Saturdays. Maybe we can consider a future trip (in a smaller group) to Tommy's, Jerry's, and nearby places that are open on Sunday.

Let's have your feedback. I'm looking forward to having a great tour.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/17 20:15:13 (permalink)
i would love to go on this tour!! I totally wouldnt mind driving also i have a car that seats 4 comfortably!! and ive been to many of these places so i know my way around!! lets do it!!!!!
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 08:13:14 (permalink)
Benzee -

I will be glad to co-ordinate the Flemington mini-meet. There, it has a name now.

As of now, the day does not matter to me. The only day that I have a rgeular comittment is on Thursday, but even that could be changed if needed. I will be glad to set the agenda. As everyone states their avaialability over the next dew days I will propose a tour that will be last about 4 hours.

John Fox -

Where is Karl Ehmers? I have heard the name as a meat packer (I buy their products at the Flemington Amish Market) but did not know they had a retail oulet.

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1585
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 08:40:25 (permalink)
I am pretty flexible with days off if I have 2 weeks or so notice, so a weekday mini tour to west Jersey would be OK for me. I like Akavar's suggestions. I like the idea of adding Dilly's (I think that's the spelling). They are more noted for thier burgers, I've never had a hot dog there, but I assume the dogs are good too. The only other place I'd suggest is the Stewart's on RT 22 in Lebanon. The quality is up and down, but the setting can't be beat. It might actually be a good place to meet up, it's much closer to the rest of the stops than Galloping Hill.

As for the "Official" 9/15 tour, the only other place I might like to see added is Johnny and Hanges. The other thing I'd say is that I don't see any point in going to any place that dosen't want us, there are plenty of other places to go to. I am going to try to make the tour this time, Saturdays are actually worse for me than weekdays, as I have family obligations most Saturdays. And as a couple of you said, even if you've been to all the places, it's the fun of getting together that counts most. ---Ken
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 09:05:41 (permalink)
Flemington Mini Meet

Ken -

Thanks for the suggestion about Stewart's on Rt 22. I have never been there because we have one here in Flemington. I will check it out soon. Between Stewart's and Dillie's we have a couple of very scenic locations on the trip.

I have checked my calendar and would like to propose either Thursday June 7 or Saturday June 9 for the dates. The tour will start between 11:00 AM and 12:00 noon. It will last about 4 hours. Actual stops will follow shortly but amongst those poposed are

Stewart's, Lebanon, NJ
Toby's Cup, Philipsburg, NJ
Charlie's Pool Room, Alpha, NJ
Dillie's Corner, Stockton, NJ (Actually directly across the river in PA)

As we come back north from Stockton we can stop in Flemington at the Amish market if any one wants to purchase some of their sausages or hot dogs. They also have what I consider to be the best bacon availble anywhere. A trip to the meat counter at this market is a carnivore's dream.

We can also stop at Buddy's Grab 'n Go in downtown Flemington if we get there before he closes. They serve a dirty water dog with "cooked" onions. These are a mild version hot onions which I like better than the few versions of hot onions that I have tried.
ScreenBear
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 09:15:44 (permalink)
Ken,
If you like Johnnmy and Hanges, you might want to try Duffy's Riverside Grill, 855 River St., Paterson, N.J.(973-357-8100), which, I believe, occupies the building where Johnny & Hanges previously resided.

It's an old-fashioned luncheonette/roadhouse. They serve a Thummann's pork/beef, grilled, and the chili sauce is derived, it is said, from the original J & H recipe.
The Bear
desertdog
  • Total Posts : 1946
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 09:16:03 (permalink)

I just noticed on southwest.com is having a special to Long Island ISP airport. From Phoenix it's only $99 each way, cheaper from other cities.

From a time perspective, does anyone know how long it takes to get from this airport into the NY/NJ area, either by car or public transportation?

ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1585
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 10:01:45 (permalink)
<<I have checked my calendar and would like to propose either Thursday June 7 or Saturday June 9 for the dates. >>

Ouch! June 7 is one day I can't do. My long time former boss is retiring and that's his last day. I will be at a retirement dinner in NYC, presumably eating something other than Hot Dogs. Sat June 9 I could do, but I believe John is not available on Saturdays. Can we try Wed/Thur June 13, 14, 20, 21 etc?

Bear: Thanks for the suggestion. From your description of Duffy's it does sound like the old Johnny & Hanges. I was there maybe 10 years ago.
ScreenBear
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 10:04:25 (permalink)
Desert,
I'd say, by car, it would be about 1:15 from ISP to midtown Manhattan, and about 1:45 from ISP to Newark Liberty Airport. At Newark Airport, there are major highway connections to just about anywhere in N.J.
The Bear
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 10:46:51 (permalink)
DD: Newark is the place to fly into. Although the smaller airport in Westchester and Stewart in ulster county are a lot more convenienbt to N. Jersey than anyplace on LI.

If I can get Brooklyn Bill to come along we just might try to join you on that west Jersey tour- we like a weekday best - we're retired....

Cheers, John
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 11:50:29 (permalink)
OK -

Of those that want to go on the Flemington Mini Meet what works best

Weekday
Saturday
Sunday

Based on that we will determine which day works best for the majority.
dannybotz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 357
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 15:50:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Akavar

OK -

Of those that want to go on the Flemington Mini Meet what works best

Weekday
Saturday
Sunday

Based on that we will determine which day works best for the majority.

id love to go and meet some legends of road food!! saturdays are best for me
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 17:18:11 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Mon - Thurs June 4th , 5th , 6 th , 7 th are out for me as I will be away on VAC.
Fridays are no good for me at all as I have a radio show on wtbq.com
Pretty much any other weekdays and Saturdays I'm good .
I prefer Sat . but I'm also aware these are difficult for John Fox , so if he can make a Sat. I would say go with it .
I suggest anyone looking to fly into NY area for the Jersey Hot Dog Tour in Sept , make your way to Newark Airport . . This will leaver you in NJ and probably about a half hour from the start at Galloping Hill Inn .
Stewart in Newburgh is near where our bus will depart from so if you can get into Newburgh on a good price , that may be the way to go also .

Anyone serious about this let me know and I will check some prices and hotel rates in Newburgh area and in Jersey.

Desert Dog ,
If you got the deal for Islip , perhaps there are other deals going to Newark or Newburgh .
You will probably need a rental car no matter where you fly into , perhaps not depending on what we can work .

I like the name of Flemington Hot Dog Mini Meet .
Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/18 19:15:39 (permalink)
This time of year I work 6 days a week, so weekdays and Saturdays are no good for me. I don't think Sunday would be a good day as Charlies Pool Room is closed. The only time that works for me is the week of June 25th as I'm on vacation. Saturday 6/30 I'll be at the Mets-Phillies game. Tuesday Toby's is closed. 6/25, 6/27, 6/28, and 6/29 would be the only days that I could attend. But it's not important that I make this trip as I live close enough to go to these places when I get the chance. Make it for when it is convenient for most.

Akavar,

I think the Stewarts on rt 22 would make a good starting point. And they probably serve a different dog than the location in Flemington. Dietz and Watson all beef is the dog at this one. Most others use Haydu, which in my opinion is inferior.

Karl Ehmers has a retail outlet and a cart in Hillsdale, which is off the Parkway North, around exit 172 or so, almost into New York. The cart serves all beef dogs, beef and pork dogs, brats, kielbasy, weisswurst, and other sausages. The thing that is different here is that this particular Karl Ehmer's store doesn't sell the regular Karl Ehmer's German frank. All Ehmer's products are made in Ridgewood, New York and sent to their stores. You can check their website, http://www.karlehmer.com. The Hillsdale location sells German franks from Kocher's Meats in Ridgefield, N.J. They also serve them on their cart. For more detail on Karl Ehmer's, check the New Jersey Hot Dog thread. Their beef/pork dog (Kocher's) was found to be the best of it's kind by the Munchmobile S.W.A.T. Team.

The cart has a grill and griddle. This place would make a great stop by itself or part of a mini tour.
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/19 09:36:22 (permalink)
Hello all ,

6 / 25 , 6/ 27 , 6 / 28 all work for me . Enough advance notice to take a day off .

I suggest one of these days so we can include John in this mini meet / tour .
Once we have a date I will add it to the heading of this thread .

Benzee
agnesrob
  • Total Posts : 1790
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/19 10:47:05 (permalink)
John, My kids and I have been going to that cart in Hillsdale for years. It is great! I reccomend it.
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/20 13:12:13 (permalink)
Flemington Mini Meet

I just posted a review of Stewart's Drive In on the NJ Hot Dog forum.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40&whichpage=27

The bottom line is -

Thanks everybody for the suggestions about this place. It should do well as a place to start our mini meet.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/20 21:54:26 (permalink)
Hey All,
With regard to the Flemington mini meet, what about Hot Dog Johnny's? Or is that too similar to Toby's Cup? Also in Phillipsburg is Jimmy's on the Delaware, Aunt T's cart by Phillipsburg High School (I'm not sure if she's out on the weekends) and A little farther east is Poppy's cart on route 31 north in Glen Gardner. He's less than 10 minutes north of route 78 and maybe 2 minutes south of Hot Rod's Hot Dogs also in Glen Gardner, and he has this really good homemade garlic relish and good hot onions. But, like Aunt T's I'm not sure if he's out on the weekends, and obviously the weather plays a big factor with carts. Also, next to Poppy's cart is a guy who sells BBQ from a trailer, but his hours aren't consistant, so I have yet to try his food. I'd love to join you guys weekends are better for the wife and I.

Dave
Akavar
Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/05/22 18:18:28 (permalink)
Flemington Mini Meet

I just posted a review of Dilly's corner on the NJ Hot Dog Thread. I would like to make this a stop on the Flemington Mini Meet.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40&whichpage=28

I have been waiting to finalize the date. I was holding this open a few days so that everyone can post their preferred or available dates.

It looks like the balance between when the places are open and when people are available places this event on a Saturday. I realize that this means Benzee and John Fox will not be able to attend.

I know John can get to these places some what easily. I was really hoping we could find a date so that Benzee can experience our wonderful west central NJ hot dog places.

That being said, I will propose a date of Saturday, June 23rd for the event. If we need to change to a week date it will have to be a Wednesday or Thursday because at least one of the places is closed on either Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

The itinerary will be:

Meet at Stewart's Drive In, Rt 22, Lebanon, NJ at 11:00 AM. From there we will do Toby's Cup in Phillipsburg, NJ and then Charlie's Pool Room in Alpha, NJ. We will car pool from Stewart's.

These three places are very close together so in about an hour and a half we will be stuffed. I propose we take about 45 minutes and drive south along the Delaware River to Stockton, NJ to go to Dilly's Corner. That should give us a little time to digest our first few dogs.

If we get out of Dilly's Corner early enough we can stop at the Amish Market in Flemington for some great Lancaster County Meats and other goodies. From Flemington we will continue north back to Stewart's to pick up the rest of the cars.

Estimated time for this outing is between 4 & 5 hours.

If we need to have a second outing on a week day so that those with schedule conflicts can attend - just let me know. I would not mind conducting this tour twice.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 43
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1