Hot!12th Annual Jersey Hot Dog Tour - Sept 12th , 2015 - past trip reports

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 43 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
John A
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4295
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/22 07:24:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Dog King

Benzee, I don't think you can say anymore than that!

Yes, I was thinking of an Upper Hudson Valley Hot Dog Tour, this would include the following:

1. Tommy's Hot Dog truck on Rte. 32 north, Tillson. Serves a Sabrett 8/1 n/c with various toppings including a baked bean and slaw dog.
2. Lickers Ice Cream and Texas Weiners, Kinston. The main item here is ice cream and coffee however the owner has a thing for hot dogs like some other people around here. I thought they were ok but I'll let everyone else be the judge.
3. Dallas Hot Weiners II, Broadway, Kinston. There are three in the area, all owned by the same family. This one has easier parking.
Hop on the NYS Thruway north to Troy NY to check out:
4. Gus's Hot Dogs
5. Hot Dog Charlies
6. Famous Lunch

All three (4, 5 and 6) serve the infamous 3" n/c hot dogs par-boiled and then griddled. Each one has a special chili sauce which can be purchased in jars if one wishes. Hot Dog Charlies is a bit spicier than most, similar to Father and Son.
The three are also very close to each other. The Troy Pork Store, open since 1920, is just around the corner from Famous Lunch.

Everyone... let me know what you think.

The one on North Front Street has a municipal parking lot about one minute away. The guys that run it told me they are the grandsons of the original DHW owner. It's now in a different location on NFS but the dogs are pretty much the same as they were 50 + years ago.

Great reports and pics from everyone, thanks for sharing.
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 753
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/22 08:46:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

hi again all,
miss my "hot dog tour" buddies already!

My computer has been broken , (it ran too HOT; burned out the power) but I still have some more good pics to put in my "hot dog tour" report...

I'll finish my official report from my sisters computer when I go up there Sat. night....
my pics are also stored on that computer...(till I can get mine back to life!)

(and I'm a "trip report" behind ,as I still want to do my Syracuse NY State Fair Labor Day weekend report...)

looking forward to more hot dog tours, mini-meets, Nashville type tours, etc, etc...

fondly,
ellen

No WONDER you have been so quiet! You were missed Ellen!
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/22 08:54:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

Hot Dog King,

I just had a Hofmann's a few days ago. I compared one to a Thumann's and a dog from John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains, N.J. which I found out sells the dogs made by Kocher's butcher shop. Kocher's is a popular butcher shop in Bergen County who sells hot dogs to between 30 and 40 different establishments. One of which is the Karl Ehmer's Hillsdale location. This place actually sells from their store and serves (at their outdoor cart) Kocher's German franks rather than Karl Ehmer's own German franks which are made in College Point N.Y. As you can imagine, the people at the main office are not pleased. I spoke to one of them recently. But anyway, Hofmann is a good frank, but a little milder than Thumann's and Kocher's, which are my 2 favorite German style franks. I also like Sahlen's from Buffalo, N.Y. and the special recipe Grote & Weigel frank made for the Galloping Hill Inn. These are my favorites in this style.

For anyone interested there are still some Sahlen's franks available at the Bridgewater Wegmans. Ken8038 posted about these. It's the only place I know of in Jersey that carries them. I called the store and was told that they only carry them in the summer months. Currently, they have 12 lbs left and will not be restocking until next summer. They come in 3 lb packages, but I was able to have the deli manager open a package and put aside a pound for me which I will pick up tomorrow. The rest of the franks in that package will be sold loose in the deli. If you've never had a Sahlen's, let me suggest that you get down to Wegmans (Bridgewater location only) before they run out. This is the dog that is served at the popular Ted's restaurants in and around Buffalo. These dogs have a somewhat tight casing and are great on the backyard grill. They are charbroiled till well done at Ted's.

It would be interesting to do a Sahlen's/Zweigles/Hoffman's taste test someday - a 'Thruway Series' of dogdom - the three AAA ballclubs in Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse annually 'compete' for what is called the Thruway Cup - whichever team has the best record head to head against the other two wins. I believe all three produce a white hot, so it would be possible to have two divisions - white and red.

Ever have a Zweigles Texas Hot John? Your local Wegman's should have those in the regular case next to all the Ball Park/Oscar Meyer slime. They also sell combo packs of both red and white dogs.
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2339
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/22 18:19:38 (permalink)
Never had the Texas Hots. A few weeks ago I was in the Woodbridge Wegmans and they only had their brand of White Hots. I was told that they discontinued Zweigles White Hots. Last Tuesday I went and they had them again along with the Texas or Red Hots. I was there for Thumanns and Hofmanns. I'll try Zweigels soon though. The woman at the deli counter told me that that the Hoffmann's outsells everything, even Thumanns.
Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/23 20:59:31 (permalink)
some places for consideration for the max's/windmill trip:

boardwalk hot dog in brick (schikhaus i believe)

jo-jos in toms river

joyces in brick (i do not know if they are still open)

there was also a place in brick on mantoloking road called the hut, but i think it closed up.

hope this helps

Bill
loucrew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/24 05:20:10 (permalink)
Joyces Place is closed. No one's been there in months.
jordan23
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/24 21:19:08 (permalink)
Good luck in Vegas and hope to see you soon at a Crabfest tour or another dog tour in the future.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/25 19:49:44 (permalink)
what about the truck that serves Sabretts by the railroad station in Red Bank or That Hot Dog Place also in Red Bank. I also heard the chain 5 Guys Burgers and Fries does a good dog and they have a location in Brick. Bill M, where in Brick is Boardwalk Hot Dog?

DPuro329
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/25 20:03:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ConeyIslandLou

If anyone remembers, I was shooting video along with my stills during the trip. I was successful in downloading it on my DVR recorder/burner! So if anyone wants a copy of the slideshow with the video portions, just shoot me an email! It really came out cool!

Folks,

Lou did a great job with this! I got my copy and it makes an excellent memento of a fun day. Just e-mail him and he will send you one. I know the guys I work with want one.
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/26 18:13:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John Fox

Hot Dog King,

I just had a Hofmann's a few days ago. I compared one to a Thumann's and a dog from John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains, N.J. which I found out sells the dogs made by Kocher's butcher shop. Kocher's is a popular butcher shop in Bergen County who sells hot dogs to between 30 and 40 different establishments. One of which is the Karl Ehmer's Hillsdale location. This place actually sells from their store and serves (at their outdoor cart) Kocher's German franks rather than Karl Ehmer's own German franks which are made in College Point N.Y. As you can imagine, the people at the main office are not pleased. I spoke to one of them recently. But anyway, Hofmann is a good frank, but a little milder than Thumann's and Kocher's, which are my 2 favorite German style franks. I also like Sahlen's from Buffalo, N.Y. and the special recipe Grote & Weigel frank made for the Galloping Hill Inn. These are my favorites in this style.

For anyone interested there are still some Sahlen's franks available at the Bridgewater Wegmans. Ken8038 posted about these. It's the only place I know of in Jersey that carries them. I called the store and was told that they only carry them in the summer months. Currently, they have 12 lbs left and will not be restocking until next summer. They come in 3 lb packages, but I was able to have the deli manager open a package and put aside a pound for me which I will pick up tomorrow. The rest of the franks in that package will be sold loose in the deli. If you've never had a Sahlen's, let me suggest that you get down to Wegmans (Bridgewater location only) before they run out. This is the dog that is served at the popular Ted's restaurants in and around Buffalo. These dogs have a somewhat tight casing and are great on the backyard grill. They are charbroiled till well done at Ted's.

I have business up in Newark, NY in the next week or two and since it is a three hour drive for me I might as well stop by Hofmann's and check things out. If anyone wants anything, I'll bring a cooler along. Which by the way isn't a bad idea for the next tour!
Saturday I visited Helmbolds in Troy, NY. The dogs there are beef and pork with natural casing. I picked up some 10/1 and some of their chili sauce. I would say they are similar to a Thumann's and the way they are served is similar to a michigan... onions, mustard and a spicy meat sauce.
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/26 19:06:14 (permalink)
HDK: while you are in the Newark do not miss the opportunity to visit some of the wineries along Seneca and Keuka Lakes (especially, do not miss Konstantin Frank on Keuka and Herman Wiemer on Seneca).

BTW: We''l be up there, 10/8- 10/11, staying at the Inn at Glenora, enjoying some outstanding wines and replenishing the cellar . If you are still in the area maybe we could get together...

cheers, John
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/27 15:55:50 (permalink)
hi again, buds..

my hot dog trip report is finally completed....

(page 15).......take a look ! Benzee, John, Ken, Mike, Lou, and enjoy!!

ellen
ConeyIslandLou
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/27 21:15:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

hi again, buds..

my hot dog trip report is finally completed....

(page 15).......take a look ! Benzee, John, Ken, Lou, and enjoy!!

ellen

Great report Ellen!

Did you want a DVD?
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/27 23:11:09 (permalink)
Ellen,
It was a fine tour, and you did an excellent job of capturing its essence in photographs.
Good work.

The Bear
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1601
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/28 20:18:10 (permalink)
<<my hot dog trip report is finally completed....

(page 15).......take a look ! Benzee, John, Ken, Mike, Lou, and enjoy!!>>

Hey Ellen, I took several looks and I sure enjoyed! Thanks so much for posting the pictures and the great report. You're one of the main reasons why this site is as good as it is. The fact that you were able to eat yet more Hot Dogs the next day is amazing. Me, I took one look at that tub of Chili from Father & Son in my fridge the next morning and stuck it in the freezer (right next to the Sahlen's Hot Dogs) for another day.

General Note to all: This weekend I'm off on a 3 day trip to Albany and then Cooperstown. I'm finally ready for more Hot Dogs and I've got my Albany/Troy Hot Dog places all lined up for Saturday, along with the Orchard Tavern for Pizza, and my BrewPubs all lined up for later in the day. Thanks to all who have posted about that area on this board, it's where most of my tips come from. ---Ken
Bill M
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/28 22:10:01 (permalink)
boardwalk hot dog is on drumpoint road in brick. not too far from the 5 guys and one of the windmills. their hot dog is comparable to max's, also less expensive than max's. The truck in red bank is also good as well.

Bill M
Benzee
  • Total Posts : 1878
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/29 17:52:47 (permalink)
Hello all ,

Great trip report Ellen !!
John Fox and I are trying to coordinate a mini Hot Dog Meet at Charlies Pool Room in Alpha NJ on Veterans Day Monday Nov. 12th.

They would open specifically for our group .
I'm thinking if we get 8-10 that want to meet at Galloping Hill Inn we can take a 10 passenger Executive Van that one of my coworkers operates . Probably would cost about $20 each for the roundtrip.

We would look at about a 2 hour stay at Charlies , or visit one or two others in the area also .
Monday being a holiday John is off from work and I gather many of you are also . I'm willing to take a VAC day if we can get this off the ground .

Friends from west Jersey and PA could meet us there .

Give us an idea everyone what you think .

Benzee
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/09/29 18:14:09 (permalink)
You can count me in.

Hit the Hot Grill or Rutts Hut on the way down the GS Pkwy?
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/01 14:57:11 (permalink)
wish I could be there, Benzee......I'm leaving on Nov. 11th for 10 days in Vegas !
I help my sis escape from her domestic life with hubby and the 4 kids...
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/01 18:21:14 (permalink)
Benzee: Gail and I are a tentative YES- will be more definite soon. We'd love to visit that place after the great write-up we saw on these pages a while ago.

Cheers, John
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/01 19:01:09 (permalink)
I wouldn't miss it for the world.
Out-of-staters and Jerseyans still not familiar with the rare Hot Dog Experience that is Charlie's Pool Room may understand my zeal after clicking the below blurb from HollyEats.

The Bear

http://www.hollyeats.com/CharliesPoolRoom.htm
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/01 21:09:58 (permalink)
Or here:

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~mspecian/links/crazylinks/cpr.htm
tamandmik
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 949
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/02 09:43:26 (permalink)
I wonder if Toby's Cup will be on the itinerary. When I lived in NJ, I'd make a stop at this roadside hotdog hut, which is right on Rt 22 in Phillipsburg. Its frontage almost touches the road. I remember them being unique in that they served their hotdogs with a wedge of sliced pickles.
Fontaine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/02 13:04:34 (permalink)
Toby's is close to Charlie's Pool Room. Also close by is Jimmy's on the Delaware.

Is there any interest in my bringing a box of Yocco's Hot Dogs?
I live in the area.

Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/02 18:09:33 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The Hot Dog Mini Meet is confirmed !!

Date : Monday November 12th Noon - 2 pm

Place : Charlies Pool Room
1122 East Boulevard
Alpha NJ

Meeting Point : A few of us will carpool from Upstate NY to Galloping Hill Inn in Union NJ at 1100am
We will have a 10 pass. Executive Van to take us to Charlies from there . ( Est. cost $20 per )
For those that want to drive feel free , also the PA and West Jersey folks should meet us there .

Charlies is opening that day just for us so we would like to get a head count of attendees and who needs transportation .

So far
Benzee
John Fox
Coney Island Lou
Hot Dog King
Screenbear
Seafarer John and Gail
Fontaine ( no transp.)

For further info feel free to email me
benzee95@hotmail.com

Benzee

Fontaine
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/02 19:25:23 (permalink)
I'll be at Charlie's - I live across the river so I don't need transportation.

Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/04 16:54:02 (permalink)
Hello Fontaine ,
Very good see you then .
I will change the heading to the mini meet and after it change back to the tours

Benzee
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/05 22:17:34 (permalink)
Hey Everyone,
If the weather is nice on the 12th, maybe consider stopping at Aunt T's dog pound, a Sabrett cart just off Route 22 Westbound, by Phillipsburg High School. I work in the area so I'll try to stop by to join you.

DPuro329
Benzee
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/07 10:45:38 (permalink)
Hello all ,

The meet is shaping up nicely everyone .
DPuro , I do not know the area well but will have to see .
I will be in Charlotte and Disney World next two weeks on VAC so any questions or posts I will get to when I return .
Had a nice mini meet with CI Lou at Coney Island Rest. yesterday to discuss upcoming meets and dog tours .
I will be sending out flyers to all on my list when I get back about the meet at Charlies .

Benzee
John Fox
RE: Jersey Hot Dog Tours and Mini Meets 2007/10/16 09:58:02 (permalink)
I spoke with one of the owners of Charlies Pool Room. They will be open just for us and will be happy to see us on Monday Nov. 12th. Anyone who wants to join us is welcome.

Someone I know who lives in Florida for most of the year will be returning to Jersey for a few days. He expressed a desire to go to Jimmy Buff's in East Hanover. He's never been there before. I will be meeting him for a dog and maybe a few beers. Anyone wishing to join us, please feel free to stop by. It will be Saturday Oct. 27th between 12:00 and 1:00. The back room will be available.
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 43 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1