Stuffing/Filling

NYNM
  • Total Posts : 3037
  • Reward points : 0
Stuffing/Filling - Sat, 11/12/05 10:41 PM
With Thanksgiving around the corner. I'm wondering what's some "secret ingredients" for your stuffing (recipes not necessary, just the "secrets"). Raisins? Cornmeal? Jalapenos?

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 5:16 PM
Chopped cilantro. Gizzards. Chopped mandarin oranges. The cornmeal isn't a secret, it's just in there. Never thought of raisins. Just might try that this year.

Scorereader
  • Total Posts : 5546
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 5:21 PM
sausage.

Lexi
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 6:15 PM
I do two types:

My mother's traditional (in memorium): Stuffing mix, mirepoix, mushrooms, chestnuts, sausage and plenty o' sage. Throw in some chicken fat and/or stock - should sound like cottage cheese before it's baked so it's not dry.

Jalepeno, cornbread (Fresh!) and all of the above except the nuts as nephew #2 is allergic. Started this the year of the deep fried turkey. The stuffing continued - the turkey did not. Think I'll add cilantro this year - that'll make it really sing!

Because I make the stuffing and not the bird I have no gizzards, but if I did I'd chuck those in too!

This truly is my favorite holiday - we (just my sibs now as the folks are gone) cook all night on Wednesday and get trashed. Sidecars and mediocre Chinese food here we come!

linus
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 6:34 PM
Yum.
Celery, onions and finely chopped peeled apple. Saute in butter, when soft but not brown, add to the bread cubes with plenty of garden grown sage, more butter, chicken broth, some chopped parsley and black pepper.
funny I have never stuffed the bird in my life. We always started it on the stuff and finished the stuffing in the oven so the top got a tad brown. We love the crispy bits.

• Total Posts : 222
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 7:39 PM
Sausage and apples, with corn bread and white bread, celrey and onions and parsley and celrey greens sauted in lots of butter, Bell's Seasoning with an extra shot of thyme. Eggs and stock made from the neck and gibblets.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 7:50 PM
Bell's seasoning.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4074
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 8:25 PM
If you're within reasonable driving distance of a good Jewish bakery, try using Challah bread as your base. Cut into 1" chunks and dried out in the oven, rehydrate and bake with mushrooms, onions, celery, raw egg, lots of garlic and chicken broth (what else?). The Challah, which is an egg bread, has a wonderful sweetness and rich texture that ordinary white bread doesn't have. I learned this method when trying to duplicate the amazing Challah stuffing made by The Bagel restaurant in Skokie, Illinois. The Bagel used to cater our Thanksgiving until the family got a little too big and the event got a little too expensive so we turned it into an organized pot luck affair.

laytonj1
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 9:25 PM
Craisins and toasted pecans are yummy in stuffing

NYNM
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 9:52 PM
Lexi: What is mirepoix?

Is this a French recipe?

wallhd
  • Total Posts : 416
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 10:06 PM
Perhap a sideline to this thread:

My folks always called what you put in the body cavity of a turkey dressing.

My wife (who was NOT brought up in Upstate NY) has always called it stuffing.

I've always wondered if stuffing vs dressing debate was one of regional useage or what.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Wally
Plattsburgh, NY

linus
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 10:19 PM
Here in Ohio, it's always called stuffing.
the other thing I forgot to add was sometimes my cousins in GA send us fresh pecans.
they get added to the stuffing when we have them. Wonderful!

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/14/05 10:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by wallhd

That sounds backwards. It was all "stuffing" in my house, but my ex-MIL called anything "stuffed" into the body of the turkey "stuffing" and the rest that was baked in a pan was "dressing."

NYNM
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Tue, 11/15/05 1:08 AM
Around Eastern PA it's called "filling", esp. in PA Dutch area. You can order "filling" all year round. It's just served as a side whether or not you have poultry. Mostly onions, celery and seasoning, maybe bacon, too.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17796
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Tue, 11/15/05 1:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Is this a French recipe?

A mirepoix is a mixture of diced celery, carrot and onions.

jellybear
  • Total Posts : 1135
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Tue, 11/15/05 8:23 AM
Shoot me all you stuffing Purists but I swear by STOVETOP STUFFING!There I said it.

PaulBPool
  • Total Posts : 278
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Tue, 11/15/05 8:53 AM
Alright, might as well open myself up to the gunfire...but a few years ago, when I was still living with my wife and kids, and the boys were young, I actually made "White Castle" stuffing for the thanksgiving bird. The recipe is available in their restaurants, and I believe, on their website. Basically you take a bunch of their burgers (fully cooked), crumble 'em up, add a few ingredients, and stuff 'em in the bird.
And, if you really thing about it...the burgers are pretty much loaded with onion, the soft rolls, the broken up beef, well, it's not as much of a stretch as it sounds at first. Anyway, the boys had a great laugh at it, it was NOT awful, and for you skeptics, no, it was not at all a contributing factor to the marriage ending!

Lexi
  • Total Posts : 248
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Tue, 11/15/05 9:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by NYNM

Is this a French recipe?

A mirepoix is a mixture of diced celery, carrot and onions.

Hey Michael - give a girl a chance to answer. I'm a single mom of two kids, I have a full time job and need to sleep once in a while too!

Poopy
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Wed, 11/16/05 9:52 AM
My favorite recipe is stuffing mix (not Stovetop, but the dried bread cubes) sauteed diced mushrooms, celery and onion (must be cooked in real butter), diced water chestnuts, salt, pepper all moistened with chicken broth.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Wed, 11/16/05 11:05 AM
Mine is also a legacy stuffing... The most required items include biscuits, cornbread, black olives, gizzards, celery, and hard boiled eggs.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Wed, 11/16/05 11:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lexi

I do two types:

Because I make the stuffing and not the bird I have no gizzards, but if I did I'd chuck those in too!

I haven't made a whole bird in years, so I substitute chicken gizzards, which can be had in the meat section of most grocery stores in little tubs.

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Wed, 11/16/05 12:10 PM
I've done the White Castle dressing (never cooked it in the bird) ... I'll probably do it again this year (kind of like a food novelty act.)

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Wed, 11/16/05 12:38 PM
We always do dressing in a pan, but when I think of stuffing, I think of it being cooked inside the cavity of the turkey. I only use cornbread and white bread-I do not like any of the stuffing mixes.
I prefer to add my own seasonings and vegetables.

Fieldthistle
  • Total Posts : 1948
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Wed, 11/16/05 1:24 PM
Hello All,
Growing up, we never had real stuffing. It was always dry and made from a box or a bag. My wife introduced me to the real stuff. Homemade bread, celery, onions, carrots, sausage, and all kinds of spices, from nutmeg to sage, to rosemary to thyme, salt and pepper of course. The spices change a little from year toyear. But it has to be cooked inside the cavitity of the turkey to be tasty outside of it. At least for my taste. But my taste are rather virginial.
Take Care,
Fieldthiste

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Thu, 11/17/05 7:47 AM
I simply love dressing as a side for anything and stove top is a quick and easy pantry staple. But for the holidays? Pepperidge farms makes a good bagged variaty and we'll usually have 2 or 3 different flavors. Adding your own ingredients like sausage or old bay makes its your own..

fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Thu, 11/17/05 2:18 PM
Rick Rodger's Italian Style Stuffing recipe which you could find on the internet. Italian bread, sweet Italian sausage, lots of red bell peppers, onions, parmesan, black cured olives, white wine. I think its the small expensive cured mediterranean black olives in this that make it stand out.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Thu, 11/17/05 2:40 PM
I like adding poultry seasoning to mine. That and using Spicy breakfast sausage..

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1136
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Mon, 11/21/05 10:13 PM
Add chopped pecans.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Fri, 12/23/05 3:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
Originally posted by wallhd

That sounds backwards. It was all "stuffing" in my house, but my ex-MIL called anything "stuffed" into the body of the turkey "stuffing" and the rest that was baked in a pan was "dressing."

Thats how I always knew it... Dressing in my house, cuz the bird was never stuffed.....

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Tue, 12/27/05 11:22 AM
Cornbread STUFFING with Kale and Linguica. Every year I say I'm doing something different and someone insists on this.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17796
RE: Stuffing/Filling - Tue, 12/27/05 11:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lexi

Hey Michael - give a girl a chance to answer. I'm a single mom of two kids, I have a full time job and need to sleep once in a while too!

Well, I thought you were taking a nap. Sorry.