Mac & Cheese

Sirloin
2005/11/13 12:27:16
Mac & Cheese, Mac & Cheese.
What is everyone's infatuation with Mac & Cheese?

I do not get "it".
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/13 12:56:33
Probably being a comfort food everyones grown up on...
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/13 13:55:50
I enjoy Mac & Cheese as long is it made from scratch. No Kraft or Golden Harvest for me thank you.
jeepguy
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/13 14:32:16
I've always liked it. I don't love it but it works well aside meatloaf, ham loaf etc. Sorry to say but i just walked home from Jewel (Albertson's) with one of my favorite frozen mac & cheese. It's the President's Choice line and it's really good! Buttery with shredded cheddar on top. Jewel is slowly phasing out the PC line so i was happy to get it again. I'll eat it tonight alongside my ham and turkey sandwich "with Marie's 1000 Island" and Swiss on fresh Pepperidge Farm Original white bread. And a Claussen pickle. This should do me in!
Greyghost
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/13 17:46:50
Macaroni and cheese goes right to the American soul. Thanks to Thomas Jefferson, macaroni has been a part of American cuisine right from the beginning and cheese even before that. It is a natural combination that caught on right away.

The dish is embedded in American memory permanently. It is revered both for its simplicity and endless variations. It was a natural from the beginning, both pasta and cheese can be kept without refrigeration. It is also a hearty dish, an important consideration among our hard working ancestors.

Macaroni and cheese had a huge comeback during the Depression, it was ideally suited for hard times. Both cheap and satisfying it was not only embedded in American culture, it was now enshrined. It saved the budget, it kept families together and the wolf from the door.

In more modern times, I remember macaroni and cheese as a staple of meatless Fridays, which we observed although we were not Catholic. On Fridays it was either fish or macaroni and cheese. Personally, I enjoyed and looked forward to the Friday fare, it was different and a nice weekly ritual.

Last but not least, is the great mouth feel and flavor of macaroni and cheese. It is great comfort food and one with a long history. What's not to like, what's not to get?
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 17:10:12
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Mac & Cheese, Mac & Cheese.
What is everyone's infatuation with Mac & Cheese?

Tastes good. Next.
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 17:23:40
Mac and cheese, done right, with good sharp cheese, a bit of mustard and cayenne, is food of the kings.

Done wrong, it's hospital food. There's not that much middle ground.

I made some this past winter with some aged sharp Cabot cheddar. Oh baby, was it good.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 19:35:20
I'm with stlouisguy; I use the Alton Brown stovetop recipe and extra sharp Cabot. Good, easy, inexpensive, and the kids love it. What's not to like?
linus
Cheeseburger
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 19:49:00
Funny.. I dont HATE it, but I would not order it when I go out to eat. never have.
If I'm lucky enough to eat at a meat and three place, I have always gone for the stuffing, the squash casserole, Green beans with bacon, sweet potatos, etc.
Mac and cheese would be my last choice.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 20:08:30
quote:
Originally posted by linus

Funny.. I dont HATE it, but I would not order it when I go out to eat. never have.
If I'm lucky enough to eat at a meat and three place, I have always gone for the stuffing, the squash casserole, Green beans with bacon, sweet potatos, etc.
Mac and cheese would be my last choice.

These were my thoughts, also.
Greyghost
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 20:25:24
StLouisGuy has a good recipe and one of my favorites.

A variation I like is English cheddar, Coleman's dry mustard, cayenne pepper and a hearty splash of Lea & Perrins. While I love Cabot's cheese, I do prefer the English cheddar, while it is not sharp it does have great depth of flavor and is much richer. The Lea & Perrins adds to the total depth of flavor and also complements the mustard and cayenne.

I know it sounds a lot like Welsh Rabbit, but I do prefer this concoction over macaroni rather than toast.
linus
Cheeseburger
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 20:47:27
yeah, it's not gross or anything.. but It's just not the poo de doo either.
there's so many wonderful sides out there.
But the Welsh Rabbit??? Oh, YES, on toast, with fresh asparagus!
In march, when Asparagus comes into season in ohio, I eat welsh rabbit poured over toast and asparagus once a week at least.
and up my workouts!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 20:56:04
The only time I have ordered Mac and Cheese in a restaurant was at a great cafeteria in Chalmette, Louisiana(Rocky and Carlo"s, I think). Mac and Cheese is great comfort food.
C Turner Joy
Cheeseburger
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/11/14 22:26:44
quote:
Originally posted by Greyghost

Macaroni and cheese goes right to the American soul... <snip>

So well put. Nice post. Thanks.
AndreaB
RE: Mac & Cheese 2005/12/06 20:37:50
If it's made well it is an extreme comfort food ala King. Rich, buttery cheesy creamy mac and cheese Yum! If it's school type or hospital type thumbs and forks down. It also accompanies
Bahamian food quite well.

Andrea