Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political)

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Sirloin
2005/11/15 18:52:59
Does anyone remember Sambo's restaurant's, and are there any still around. I remember it was in direct competition with Dennys.. and I am going way back to the mid 70's for this one....
ouch..I think they might have been national, but had a problem with the name.Cant remember, someone please refresh it for me!
Thanks...
Tara
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/15 19:09:25
the sambo's I remember was like Bigboy or Shoneys, in fact I think it became Shoneys
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/15 19:13:32
http://www.cnn.com/US/9801/28/sambo.revival/
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/16 00:34:14
When we vacationed with our extended family, Sambo's was often our dinner stop of choice. This would have been in the early to mid 70's. Seems that they were mostly located in the south. " /> I was a pancake and waffle eater at dinnertime, so I always loved them. It never occurred to me to question the name until later when it became an issue. To me, it was just a childhood story. Unfortunate choice for a name, but I think it came about because of the connection to butter in the story. It wasn't meant to be a slur.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/16 00:52:33
I did some college time in Salt Lake City in the early '70s. Sambos was the place to work off either adrenaline or liquid refreshment. We'd spend hours, have a $2 coffe bill for the group, but leave at least a $5 tip. That was back about the time Sambos did the ethnic morphing, and then disappeared. Google can provide the history.
Z66 Butch
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/16 13:33:02
We had a Sambo's in Anderson Indiana. We ate there a few times in the 70's. Nothing that I can remember stands out as great food.

Butch
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/16 13:59:21
We had a Sambos in Grand Rapids, MI. (College Ave at I-96). But it was either the late 70's or very early 80's when it met its demise and became an office building..

Lexi
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/16 14:27:22
We used to go to Sambo's in Apple Valley, RI in the early 80s. Because the name was so non-PC (even then!) it was turned into a Denny's by the time I left there in '85. Even though I am a northerner I always appreciate someplace that serves grits and I remember being able to get them there.
GB944
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/16 14:35:59
There was one on the Alameda in San Jose, California, and was a hangout for the students at the local boys' prep school a couple of blocks away. The name has changed, but the building was still there the last time I drove by. I left that school in 1966 (yes, I'm that old) and it was going strong at that point.

One of the tie-ins with the "Little Black Sambo" story was the "Tiger Butter", a whipped butter (with maybe a bit of honey in it) served with every stack of pancakes or waffles.

I guess that Political Correctness has made our world a little more reticent.

gb
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/16 17:47:43
I remember Sambo's!
Wow, blast from the past. I guess they didn't make it.

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/17 17:44:30
I use to drive past their warehouse on I-75 south of Cincinatti. I ate at their location in Indianapolis. I think they went down the tube due to their name???

Food was marginal. Last time i ate there was in 1979.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/17 17:55:16
Common sense said the name had to go. Now Chad may want to try Chadbo or Chadsams or even Chadbatts but I can't imagine any banker funding startup money if he wants to use the old name. I wasn't a diehard chainavoider back in those days but even with Sambo's being the closest restaurant to where I was living back then, I never found much that appealed to me. For a treat, I took my wife and son to IHOP for pancakes.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/17 18:29:24
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Common sense said the name had to go. Now Chad may want to try Chadbo or Chadsams or even Chadbatts but I can't imagine any banker funding startup money if he wants to use the old name. I wasn't a diehard chainavoider back in those days but even with Sambo's being the closest restaurant to where I was living back then, I never found much that appealed to me. For a treat, I took my wife and son to IHOP for pancakes.

Have you been the Original Pancake House in Brookfield? FYI: One of the best national breakfast chains serving excellent pancakes.

MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/18 07:13:42
No but I can recommend Traditional Pancake House on S. 76th across from Southridge with the added bonus of it's not part of a chain. They have some incredible breakfasts.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/18 07:33:40
Whats that noise??----is that a chain rattleing????
tsores
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/18 09:26:47
I remember the Sambo's in Champaign, IL. Great place to go when attending U of Illinois. Garbage up for cheap. I had a roommate that used to have pancakes with his syrup there.
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/18 15:51:36
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Maybe, this will solve the chain rattling: http://www.devce.demon.co.uk/falcone/chain.htm
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/18 16:02:40
quote:

Et tu, tiki?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/18 16:03:47
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:

Maybe, this will solve the chain rattling: http://www.devce.demon.co.uk/falcone/chain.htm

" />
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/18 16:22:35
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/19 16:29:49
quote:
Originally posted by Lexi

We used to go to Sambo's in Apple Valley, RI in the early 80s. Because the name was so non-PC (even then!) it was turned into a Denny's by the time I left there in '85. Even though I am a northerner I always appreciate someplace that serves grits and I remember being able to get them there.

Hear hear!
It sure is hard to find grits up here.. I just moved to maine from florida and I made sure that I took some with me just in case!--But the Dennys in portland has them!
Yippeee!
Tara
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/19 16:31:28
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:

" />

Ha Ha.. the jokesters....
Now dont rattle my chain.....
LAMO
wallhd
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/19 17:06:38
Here in Plattsburgh (NY) we once had a Sambo's. IIRC there were some complaints made somewhere in the USA (not here) that the name Sambo's was bad becasue it had racial undertone.

I always thought that idea was absurd, but I'm just a simple country guy with a 4 year college degree, so who am I to know?

Anyhow, seems to me the name was changed to "Family Sam's" which lasted for a little while.

Finally the location became, and remains today, a Friendly's. It usually a very busy location. It is directly across the street from the Plattsburgh Lum's. Both being just off Exit 37 of I-87.

Wally
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/19 17:24:48
Lums?
Lums like in Lums that cooked their hot dogs in beer Lums?
wallhd
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/19 19:05:23
Right, that Lum's. Some just asked on another thread if the Plattsburgh Lum's still steamed their hot dogs in beer. If I have a chance tomorrow, I'll stop there and ask to look at their menu and find out for sure. Stay tuned.

Wally
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/20 09:02:38
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Et tu, tiki?

just pulling your "Chain", Mr Hoffman!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/23 20:02:39
There is still an original Sambo's in Santa Barbara, CA-----right across from the beach. I think it's the only one left. The name did more harm then anything-------Sambo's food was pretty good.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/23 20:12:00
quote:
Originally posted by wallhd

Right, that Lum's. Some just asked on another thread if the Plattsburgh Lum's still steamed their hot dogs in beer. If I have a chance tomorrow, I'll stop there and ask to look at their menu and find out for sure. Stay tuned.

Wally

AND...
wallhd
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/23 20:18:06
And.....

Sorry something came up and I wasn't able to get there.

Don't think they are open tomorrow for Thanksgiving, but don't give up the ship just yet!!!

And....

Happy Thanksgiving to all who might read this!

Wally
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/23 23:38:35
1970's........Pine Bluff, Arkansas. I was in high School. I had a friend
that worked at Sambo's. He helped me get hired on as a Bus Boy/Janitor.
I am proud to say that before I left Sambo's, I was promoted to Head DMO!

DMO.........Dish Machine Operator!

I left Sambo's to go to work at Pizza Hut. We could get at the Beer there.
Manager caught us and locked the Tap. He never knew after that we would
swap out the keg connections in the back with the Draft Root Beer.
Had all the root "Beer" we could drink!

Not long after that I Graduated High School and went into the Air Force.
Pizza Hut was a good job!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/24 00:59:51
Sambos was the place I took my first wife after we met at a college dance. I had a buck in my pocket and we feasted on a ten cent cup of coffee and a 50 cent dish of ice and a dime tip. It went well.
The Sambo's in Lincoln City, Oregon was not part of the national chain and changed its name to Lil' Sambos's to avoid confusion and legal trouble.
The name was a racial slur and I am glad the name is gone.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/29 01:17:03
We had at least one Sambo's in Fresno and I still have a wooden coin good for 1 free cup of coffee from there. Knowing the story and remembering the wallpaper at the rest. the boy sure looked Indian to me.

The store on Blackstone always donated 2 5 gallon milk cans of pancake batter to our YMCA pancake breakfast plus like 10 lbs of ground coffee.

MikeS.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/11/30 19:43:31
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

I just read the article from your link... thanks!
Tara
Neesie
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/05 18:06:08
We have at least three Sambo's that I can remember in Saint Paul (back in the late '70's). All of a sudden they were gone; one was turned into a Burger King and the other two were tore down and made into other commercial real estate. It was always the place to go after a movie date on a Friday or Saturday night. I never waitressed there but had quite a few friends that did.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/05 18:46:34
I recall that the nearby IHOP had its parking lot considerable fuller than did Sambo's. They both disappeared roughly the same time, with IHOP playing SRO on its return last year after perhaps a 20 year absence.
Neesie
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/06 18:15:48
Hmmm, that's right, they both did disappear about the same time. IHOP came back here about 3 years ago, although not many of them. I remember how suprprised I was to see all the IHOP's in Florida when we vacationed down there over the years. Now if we could just find a Sambo's.....
bmowrer
Junior Burger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/10 22:15:03
I worked at a Sambo's and at a Lum's, both in Manitowoc, WI., in the late 70's and early 80's. Both were good food and reasonable prices...
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/12 21:14:11
quote:
Originally posted by Neesie

Hmmm, that's right, they both did disappear about the same time. IHOP came back here about 3 years ago, although not many of them. I remember how suprprised I was to see all the IHOP's in Florida when we vacationed down there over the years. Now if we could just find a Sambo's.....

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

fdaniels
Hamburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/12 22:05:50
Sambo's....
Huummm, Sambo's....

OH yeah, I remember Sambo's. I used to hang out at the Sambo's in Glenview Ill. This was the very end of the 70's and beginning of the 80's. I worked just down the street, at a job on a rotating shift, and Sambo's was always open. I had friends who lived nearby, and we would meet there. We would sometimes sit, play backgammon and drink coffee for hours on end. The manager didn't mind, as we would watch the door. More then once we would see some teens walking out on a check, and get the plate number as they drove past the door out of the parking lot.

One morning, I walked in, and fell in love. She was a waitress on loan from another Sambo's a few miles away. She was only 17, and was just finishing up a midnight shift. (i was 20) I was lucky enough to hang out with her for about a year, while she dated, got pregers, married and divorced some other 17 (then 18) year old. About a year later I lost track of her. She never knew how I felt about her.

Did I mention that this August, (24 years later) I found her name on another web site? Sent her an e-mail. I proposed to her last month. She managed to sqeak out a "yes."

Oh yeah, I remember Sambo's!

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/15 12:21:03
quote:
Originally posted by fdaniels

Sambo's....
Huummm, Sambo's....

OH yeah, I remember Sambo's. I used to hang out at the Sambo's in Glenview Ill. This was the very end of the 70's and beginning of the 80's. I worked just down the street, at a job on a rotating shift, and Sambo's was always open. I had friends who lived nearby, and we would meet there. We would sometimes sit, play backgammon and drink coffee for hours on end. The manager didn't mind, as we would watch the door. More then once we would see some teens walking out on a check, and get the plate number as they drove past the door out of the parking lot.

One morning, I walked in, and fell in love. She was a waitress on loan from another Sambo's a few miles away. She was only 17, and was just finishing up a midnight shift. (i was 20) I was lucky enough to hang out with her for about a year, while she dated, got pregers, married and divorced some other 17 (then 18) year old. About a year later I lost track of her. She never knew how I felt about her.

Did I mention that this August, (24 years later) I found her name on another web site? Sent her an e-mail. I proposed to her last month. She managed to sqeak out a "yes."

Oh yeah, I remember Sambo's!

Too cool!
Congrat's!
fdaniels
Hamburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/25 16:18:11
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Too cool!
Congrat's!

Thanks Roossy

We recently went back to the old sambo's building. Therfe is another restaurant there now and had lunch. She was walking around, lost in a haze of memories.

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/25 17:44:38
quote:
Originally posted by fdaniels

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Too cool!
Congrat's!

Thanks Roossy

We recently went back to the old sambo's building. Therfe is another restaurant there now and had lunch. She was walking around, lost in a haze of memories.

Memories of melted butter and syrup?..
LOL..
Tara
anselmo1
Cheeseburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/25 19:13:13
I remember going to Florida back in the 1970's on vacation and was amazed how people stood in lines to get into Sambo's on Saturday and Sunday mornings in Ft. Lauderdale. Eventually, Sambo's opened up 4 restaurants in the Buffalo area which were always packed. It was the place for breakfest and was far superior to Denny's hands down.

I do remember the food at Sambo's was quality as compared to Denny's. One day, I noticed that the one Sambo's close to me closed down and was replaced by an office building. Within one year, the other three met the same fate.

As far as racial overtones, nobody thought about it back in the 1970's. Many Black families also ate at Sambo's so I can't see what the problem was?
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/26 11:04:19
I see that some can't.
Here's a link to what I think is a balanced approach to the book, which regardless of the true origin of this chain restaurant's name , is at the center of its "controversy".
http://childrensbooks.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.handprintbooks.com/html%5Ffiles/BOSTONGLOBEarticle.html
For what it's worth, I'm surprised by Sambo's supporters, because in Milwaukee there were always many better choices.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/26 17:57:29
quote:

I see that some can't.
Here's a link to what I think is a balanced approach to the book, which regardless of the true origin of this chain restaurant's name , is at the center of its "controversy".
http://childrensbooks.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.handprintbooks.com/html%5Ffiles/BOSTONGLOBEarticle.html
For what it's worth, I'm surprised by Sambo's supporters, because in Milwaukee there were always many better choices.

I read it was a combination of the 2 owners names, and of course, it was a bad choice for their future, but still, just another Dennys as far as the food compares as far as I could tell.
Greyghost
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/26 20:56:51
Sambo's is not the only business suffocating under political correctness. I find the very term political correctness, offensive. The term posits that some politics are inherently correct while any other viewpoint is inherently incorrect. I submit it is all spin, spin done so well it is incorporated into everyday life and law and is accepted without question.

Am I the only one among us that feels history and language are dangerous things to ignore? It seems we try to rewrite history and even language itself. The fact is our history and language have been brutal and insensitive ... welcome to the world of "manunkind." It has been said before and is worth saying again "if we do not remember history we are doomed to repeat it."

You know it is bad when even powerful multinational companies will not release some of their best stock. A case in point is Disney refusing to release "Song of the South" which I find more informative than offensive. We need a clear unobstructed view of history and it is very important we have that. If we replace our often brutal history with a "feel good" replacement history we are all truly lost.

I recently saw a poll among recent college graduates of all races. The telling question on the poll was "what were the freedom riders" amazingly no one knew! This is truly sad.

I for one do not see the value of replacing actual history with a feel good invented history. To know ourselves and to avoid repeating history we need to know our true history without resorting to artificial devices. To quote Matthew Arnold: "... we must be true to one another, the darkness around us is deep."
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/26 21:00:21
I think we got off the FOOD subject here.
Greyghost
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/26 21:13:55
"I think we got off the FOOD subject here."

Exhibit A.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/28 03:31:59
quote:

I see that some can't.
Thank you for the link to the article. It is a well-wriiten and reasonably impartial explanation of the issues
ladybug
Junior Burger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/28 08:46:39
If you are ever in the Lincoln City, OR area, I would recommend stopping at their Sambo's for breakfast. The food was great, and they had razor clams on the menu for breakfast! I ate there last November while in Lincoln City for business--a much better meal than the free hotel breakfast for sure! : )
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/30 10:03:19
Down here in Mobile you can still see a few former Sambo buildings...there is one in Malbis over the bay on US Hwy 90...back in the day before I-10 was completed over Mobile Bay there was very few motels/restaurants east of Mobile all the way to Pensacola, so this location would have been lucrative....that building and the old Malbis Motor Court are being torn down for a new Lowes....
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/30 11:54:28
quote:
Originally posted by ladybug

If you are ever in the Lincoln City, OR area, I would recommend stopping at their Sambo's for breakfast. The food was great, and they had razor clams on the menu for breakfast! I ate there last November while in Lincoln City for business--a much better meal than the free hotel breakfast for sure! : )

I eat a lot of odd things for breakfast, but I just cannot fathom having any type of clam for breakfast....
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/30 11:57:14
As I read in another thread here where they changed their name to Lil Sambos, as the one in Linocoln City was not a franchise
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/30 12:00:13
Bloody Mary's made with Clamato juice rocks!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2005/12/31 02:55:06
Fried clams are an excellent breakfast dish.
imsofull
Hamburger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2006/01/02 20:24:08
We just returned from Santa Barbara and saw that they have a Sambo's there. That is the first one I have seen in probably 15 years
christopheraia
Junior Burger
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2006/01/08 00:07:58
When I was growing up in Jamestown, New York, we had a SAMBO's Restaurant that was the defacto centerpiece of downtown urban renewal. In an area called Brooklyn Square all the original two and three story buildings fronting the streets were torn down and paved over in acres of asphalt with a suburban-like SAMBO's on one side of the street, a "Hill's Department Store" on the other, and an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips across from that. I remember hearing about the SAMBO's "controversy a few years later from my Grandmother because she and her old lady friends were upset that SAMBO's was closing (after all, SAMBO's didn't intend to be racist they believed) and that they'd have to eat breakfast somewhere else. After that it became a "Friendly's".
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2006/01/09 18:53:08
quote:
Originally posted by imsofull

We just returned from Santa Barbara and saw that they have a Sambo's there. That is the first one I have seen in probably 15 years

http://www.santabarbara.com/dining/a_stones_throw/sambos/default.asp

I just googled it and lo and behold!
sizz
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2006/01/26 00:55:40
looks as if we have two Sambo's threads going at the same time here is the other...
http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7289
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Sambo's Restaurant's(non-Political) 2006/01/26 06:32:49
It seemed best to ignore the prattle on the other thread.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial