Wetson's

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 65
Author Message
memphis
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2005
  • Location: morris plains, NJ
Wetson's - Sun, 11/20/05 3:44 PM
0
Does anybody remember the Wetson's burger joint on Route 46 in New Jersey. I'm not sure of the exact town, but I know it was near Pine Brook. There was the Kiddieland amusement park rite next to it. Believe it or not, that entire section was turned it to a u-turn for Route 46.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Wetson's - Sun, 11/20/05 9:15 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by memphis

Does anybody remember the Wetson's burger joint on Route 46 in New Jersey. I'm not sure of the exact town, but I know it was near Pine Brook. There was the Kiddieland amusement park rite next to it. Believe it or not, that entire section was turned it to a u-turn for Route 46.


Not specifically about that Wetson's, but check this out...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?whichpage=2&TOPIC_ID=3369#149944

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/10/2005
  • Location: Watervliet, NY
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 12/1/05 9:00 AM
0
I went to high school with one of the Wetteson's...actual last name for the founder of Wetson's....their home resembled a castle....and I did go into Wetson's a couple of times when it was by the Green Acre's mall....can't say it left a memorable impression...I prefer a good pub burger....like from Lawson's Pub in or Sly Fox....not sure if either place still exists...

Jersey Boy
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/5/2006
  • Location: West Orange, NJ
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 01/5/06 10:23 AM
0
Sure, Wetson's was at the corner of Rt.46 East and Hook Mountain Road. Kiddyland was just east of Wetson's, followed by a polynesian restauarant, a miniature golf coure, Goody's hamburgers, O'Dowds Dairy (ice cream) and the Pine Brook Auction Market.
The only real survivor today is the polynesisn restaurant, which is now a spanish restaurant.

memphis
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/20/2005
  • Location: morris plains, NJ
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 01/14/06 6:34 PM
0
WOW. The Pine Brook auction, that was rite next to the Pine Brook Motel, still there today, but looks like a dive. I have been trying to find pictures of Wetsons, and Kiddieland. We just passed by the spot today, and I told my kids about kiddieland. Pretty sad that all they could come up with to fill that spot is a freakin u-turn. Oh well, remember the good ol days.

Bobs
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/28/2003
  • Location: Jackson, TN
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 01/14/06 8:47 PM
0
Seems to me I remember a Wetson's in Keyport N.J.in the 60's. Didn't they serve the .15 burger similar to McDonald's? Please refresh my memory.

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1504
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/18/2005
  • Location: Westfield, NJ
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 01/14/06 11:09 PM
0
The Wetson's I knew was on Rahway Avenue in Elizabeth, N.J. After White Castle, it was our first fast food hamburger joint.

McDonald's, Gino's (and then Burger King) andWendy's hadn't made it to our area yet.

I thought they were pretty good at the time.

pmrkr2
  • Total Posts : 319
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/28/2005
  • Location: new york city, NY
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 01/18/06 4:48 PM
0
i remember one on northern blvd. in roslyn, ny and one in hempstead on hempstead avenue. they we're the place to go hang and the burgers were great. way before there was a mcdonald's or burger king on long island.

duke the dog
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/28/2005
  • Location: fairfield, CT
RE: Wetson's - Sun, 02/5/06 2:51 PM
0
I recall Wetsons in Fairfield,ct. and in Bridgeport, ct. It was a Macs copy but not even as good. The co. folded in the 70s. The Ffld. store was famous because they sold dope over the counter. got busted too. The Fairfield location is now a DUCHESS. GREAT PLACES>>>>>

pml
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/1/2006
  • Location: Yorktown Heights, NY
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 03/1/06 7:36 PM
0
Bringing back great memories. Does anyone remember the Jolly Roger that was next to Wetson's that was next to St. James Church. Been out of the area for a long time I cannot remember the roads

Butch E. Man
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/26/2006
  • Location: Matawan, NJ
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 03/2/06 6:53 PM
0
[:pWOW ! I would love to taste that BRIGHT Orange colored cheese burger once again ! I grew up in Matawan NJ & we went to the one on Rt.36 in Hazlet.This was around 1969. Right at the Airport Plaza. Those burgers had a greese that was just right ...Why did they go bust?? Is there a more detailed reference to find the Wetson story ???

Butch E. Man

newwavemichael
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/17/2006
  • Location: smithtown, NY
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 03/18/06 6:26 AM
0
I just joined big burger fan,a few posts up lida w. states she went to school with the family that owned wetsons,she might be mistaken,the owners were the norbitz family,it was provately owned,they bought nathan's famous around 1974,and the wetson chain got into big trouble,accounting wise,that is the reason they dissappeared,they were as big if not bigger here in new york(long island for me( as macdonalds was,and bigger than bk,and wendys was non existant,today the son wayne norbits is ceo if nathans and they still own the wetson name and recipe,and have toyed with the idea,of putting it on the nathans menu,but they already have a great burger,so they have so far resisted.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 03/18/06 11:34 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by newwavemichael

I just joined big burger fan,a few posts up lida w. states she went to school with the family that owned wetsons,she might be mistaken,


I am no expert on this, but I am pretty sure that at some point there was a Wetson or Wetteson family that was involved in the burger place. Perhaps they sold to the people you indicate.

I remember being at Bridgehampton raceway many years ago and meeting a "Wetson"...not positive, but think he was racing some type of sports car, but could have just been watching...and someone told my dad that he was one of the "hamburger Wetsons".

ndanger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/27/2005
  • Location: miami, FL
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 03/30/06 2:08 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

I went to high school with one of the Wetteson's...actual last name for the founder of Wetson's....their home resembled a castle....and I did go into Wetson's a couple of times when it was by the Green Acre's mall....can't say it left a memorable impression...I prefer a good pub burger....like from Lawson's Pub in or Sly Fox....not sure if either place still exists...

Came across your post, and am replying tardily. I also knew the Wettensons from the 5 Towns, and remember Green Acres and Lawson Pub quite well. There was also a great drive-in in Oceanside called the Texas Ranger.

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/10/2005
  • Location: Watervliet, NY
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 03/30/06 2:39 PM
0
I graduated from Hewlett HS in 1979.....loved Lawson's Pub...great steak and onion rings...also...do you remember Shor's in Hewlett? It became a Burger King...ugh...hmmmm what else.....Itkin's in Valley Stream.....great ice cream...ahhhh the memories

Holly Moore
  • Total Posts : 313
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/26/2004
  • Location: Philadelphia, PA
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 04/1/06 11:57 AM
0
My second job in a restaurant (first was washing dishes at the Five Star Diner, Rte 46 and Rte 202 in Parsippany) was at the Wetson's at the corner of Hook Mountain Road and Rte. 46. There was no cheap hamburger competition and the place was packed all the time. I loved the stress and the tension of a constant rush. Was where I discovered California Cokes - half Coca Cola and half orange drink. I think my father spent more on gas driving me to and from work than I earned working the counter.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/15/2006
  • Location: "Big D"
RE: Wetson's - Tue, 04/18/06 11:50 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by ndanger

quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

I went to high school with one of the Wetteson's...actual last name for the founder of Wetson's....their home resembled a castle....and I did go into Wetson's a couple of times when it was by the Green Acre's mall....can't say it left a memorable impression...I prefer a good pub burger....like from Lawson's Pub in or Sly Fox....not sure if either place still exists...

Came across your post, and am replying tardily. I also knew the Wettensons from the 5 Towns, and remember Green Acres and Lawson Pub quite well. There was also a great drive-in in Oceanside called the Texas Ranger.

I grew up in Woodmere and Cedarhurst (two of the "5 towns") I didn't know the Wettenson brothers personally but, my cousin (2 years older than me) was very friendly with Errol Wettenson. Remember "Shore's" in Hewlett?

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/15/2006
  • Location: "Big D"
RE: Wetson's - Tue, 04/18/06 11:53 PM
0
Speaking of the 5 towns, My very favorite cheesburger was at the "Central Diner" next to the movie theater in Cedarhurst.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/15/2006
  • Location: "Big D"
RE: Wetson's - Tue, 04/18/06 11:59 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
Originally posted by newwavemichael

I just joined big burger fan,a few posts up lida w. states she went to school with the family that owned wetsons,she might be mistaken,


I am no expert on this, but I am pretty sure that at some point there was a Wetson or Wetteson family that was involved in the burger place. Perhaps they sold to the people you indicate.

I remember being at Bridgehampton raceway many years ago and meeting a "Wetson"...not positive, but think he was racing some type of sports car, but could have just been watching...and someone told my dad that he was one of the "hamburger Wetsons".

The Wettensons were big sports car guys. Always buying and selling exotic sports cars.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/15/2006
  • Location: "Big D"
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 04/19/06 12:06 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by newwavemichael

I just joined big burger fan,a few posts up lida w. states she went to school with the family that owned wetsons,she might be mistaken,the owners were the norbitz family,it was provately owned,they bought nathan's famous around 1974,and the wetson chain got into big trouble,accounting wise,that is the reason they dissappeared,they were as big if not bigger here in new york(long island for me( as macdonalds was,and bigger than bk,and wendys was non existant,today the son wayne norbits is ceo if nathans and they still own the wetson name and recipe,and have toyed with the idea,of putting it on the nathans menu,but they already have a great burger,so they have so far resisted.

The Wettenson family did start Wetsons. This was back in the late 50's. I remember the one they had on Queens Blvd. in Forest hills. Those of us that knew about the Wettenson family probably graduated high school in the mid to late 50's.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 04/19/06 8:10 AM
0
quote:
The Wettensons were big sports car guys. Always buying and selling exotic sports cars.


Thanks! Sometimes the memories of 40 years ago get a bit hazy, but I guess I may have this one right.

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/10/2005
  • Location: Watervliet, NY
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 04/19/06 8:33 AM
0
Yeah...I went to Hewlett H.S with their daughter Liza...the house they live in was in Hewlett Bay Park and looked like a castle....ok..more memories of the 5 Towns...there was a luncheonette in Woodmere I think called the Virginian...in Cedarhurst was a delicatessan named Toddy's...my grandfather taught Toddy how to make pickeled herring in cream sauce.....in Hewlett..near Hewlett Elementary..we always hung out at Stan's....playing pinball...buying candy or food...hmmm...what else....oh...and back then...for $5 all you could drink at the Hewlett Inn....and drinking age was 18...ahhh the memories...plus great sandwiches and onion rings at Woodro's

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/15/2006
  • Location: "Big D"
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 04/19/06 10:06 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

Yeah...I went to Hewlett H.S with their daughter Liza...the house they live in was in Hewlett Bay Park and looked like a castle....ok..more memories of the 5 Towns...there was a luncheonette in Woodmere I think called the Virginian...in Cedarhurst was a delicatessan named Toddy's...my grandfather taught Toddy how to make pickeled herring in cream sauce.....in Hewlett..near Hewlett Elementary..we always hung out at Stan's....playing pinball...buying candy or food...hmmm...what else....oh...and back then...for $5 all you could drink at the Hewlett Inn....and drinking age was 18...ahhh the memories...plus great sandwiches and onion rings at Woodro's

The "old" 5 towns were GREAT!! The best place in the world to be a teenager in the 50's. Everything is different now. I went back for a wedding a few years ago and I couldn't belive how things and places and people have changed in Cedarhurst and Lawrence. (LHS 58) But! the old Peninsula diner is still there! The Central diner is gone though.

carasue
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/11/2006
  • Location: boca raton, FL
RE: Wetson's - Sun, 06/11/06 1:50 PM
0
i am a first cousin of errol wetanson. I remember growing up in LOng island before i moved to fla at the age of seven. my mother and i always felt guilty going to mcdonalds. Errol was never a part of Wetsons,,,it was started by his father and uncle. my father begged them to put in breakfast..when the big two were doing it and they didn't see the merit. I spent many days of my childhood in the house in Woodmere...which the mother still lives in, and it wasn't a "castle" lol..they weren't mega rich..just frugal. Errol being listed as the "founder" of wetsons or a "hamburger heir" is hysterical and not true.

LindaW
  • Total Posts : 338
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/10/2005
  • Location: Watervliet, NY
RE: Wetson's - Mon, 06/12/06 2:04 PM
0
uh...it sure looked like a castle...located in Hewlett Bay Park or Hewlett Neck...a beautiful stone home..surrounded by a very very tall stone fencing (wall)...now this was back in the late 70's. The classmate of mine was Liza Wetteson...and she drove a very fancy sportscar to school..so frugal...they weren't.

newwavemichael
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/17/2006
  • Location: smithtown, NY
RE: Wetson's - Fri, 06/23/06 1:47 PM
0
I guess maybe that family started the chain,but in the 70's it was definately owned by the norbitz' and bought by nathans with wayne now the ceo of nathans all the info is available on the nathans and other websites

johnwreedy6
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/20/2006
  • Location: Hendersonville, TN
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 07/20/06 9:11 PM
0

Originally posted by pmrkr2

i remember one on northern blvd. in roslyn, ny and one in hempstead on hempstead avenue. they we're the place to go hang and the burgers were great. way before there was a mcdonald's or burger king on long island.
[Subject: Re: Who Remembers Wetsons?

Iremember Wetsons from the time I was about 10 years old in 1958. My parents used to take us there for dinner because they were so busy. It was in Bethpage L.I. across from a MacDonalds. We lived in North Massapequa which is slightly more than a block away From Statin Island where nobody lives. But thats part of the great thing about New York. I now live in Tennessee and eat at MacDonalds.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I picked up this forum on a Statin Island web page that was'nt available. It' kind of nostalgic for me, you may be correct about Hempstead, but there was also a Jolly Roger Nearby. I was Pretty sure it was Bethpage. /quote]

carasue
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/11/2006
  • Location: boca raton, FL
RE: Wetson's - Sun, 09/24/06 12:49 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

uh...it sure looked like a castle...located in Hewlett Bay Park or Hewlett Neck...a beautiful stone home..surrounded by a very very tall stone fencing (wall)...now this was back in the late 70's. The classmate of mine was Liza Wetteson...and she drove a very fancy sportscar to school..so frugal...they weren't.

richpal
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/25/2006
  • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
RE: Wetson's - Mon, 09/25/06 7:59 PM
0
Yes I do remember the Wetsons. Burgers around 1964 for $.15. Fries for $.10. Yes it was Pine Brook.

mistrtj
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/4/2006
  • Location: boca raton, FL
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 10/25/06 8:33 PM
0
i used to go to the wetson's near the valley stream/lynbrook line because my friend used to be the night manager at the gas stationbetween the wetsons and the dunkin donuts on sunrise hwy. all this "5 towns" talk brings back memories because i used to work at the Howard Johnsons in lynbrook and later managed a country club in the 5 towns. it's a whole new world there now.

MacTAC
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/19/2004
  • Location: Long Island, NY
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 10/25/06 9:12 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by johnwreedy6I picked up this forum on a Statin Island web page that was'nt available. It' kind of nostalgic for me, you may be correct about Hempstead, but there was also a Jolly Roger Nearby. I was Pretty sure it was Bethpage.
There was a Wetson's on Hempstead Turnpike (also called Bethpage Tpk) in Levittown, a few hundred feet west of Jolly Rogers (affiliated with Nunley's/Smiley's Happyland).

Robert Berkowitz
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/15/2006
  • Location: Hicksville, NY
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 11/15/06 11:07 PM
0
The Wetson's on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown, LI, is still there...well, the building, anyway. It's part of the Country Ford Trucks complex west of Jerusalem Avenue. I remember another Wetson's, this one on Old Country Road at Levittown Parkway in Hicksville. It became a Titus Oaks Records store, then abandoned for quite a while, then demolished to make way for a new Dunkin' Donuts store.

Tony Bad
  • Total Posts : 5114
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 11/15/06 11:40 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Berkowitz

The Wetson's on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown, LI, is still there...well, the building, anyway. It's part of the Country Ford Trucks complex west of Jerusalem Avenue. I remember another Wetson's, this one on Old Country Road at Levittown Parkway in Hicksville. It became a Titus Oaks Records store, then abandoned for quite a while, then demolished to make way for a new Dunkin' Donuts store.


Hi Robert! welcome to Roadfood. I spent many hours thumbing through the racks at that Titus Oaks! Another Wetson's building that remains is in Bayshore, on the north side of sunrise, just west of where Bayshore road crosses. It is now a used car dealer.

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4899
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/15/2006
  • Location: "Big D"
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 11/15/06 11:42 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by carasue

quote:
Originally posted by LindaW

uh...it sure looked like a castle...located in Hewlett Bay Park or Hewlett Neck...a beautiful stone home..surrounded by a very very tall stone fencing (wall)...now this was back in the late 70's. The classmate of mine was Liza Wetteson...and she drove a very fancy sportscar to school..so frugal...they weren't.



I agree. The Wettenson family, (the kids, at least) were more extravagant than frugal.

Blanco-Grande
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/30/2006
  • Location: Lauderdale by the Se, FL
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 11/23/06 1:44 PM
0
The Wetsons in Pine Brook turned into a Nathans when I lived there about 1980 and there was another Wetsons in Jersey City in front of Hudson Mall or the old Two Guys on Tonnelle Ave

MacTAC
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/19/2004
  • Location: Long Island, NY
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 11/23/06 7:57 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Berkowitz

The Wetson's on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown, LI, is still there...well, the building, anyway. It's part of the Country Ford Trucks complex west of Jerusalem Avenue.
Actually Robert, that was a Burger 'n Shake. Wetson's was on the south side of Hempstead Turnpike, east of Jerusalem Avenue right next to where Jolly Roger's was.

newwavemichael
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/17/2006
  • Location: smithtown, NY
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 12/2/06 9:24 PM
0
I got to the bottom of who started wetson's we are both right the wetansen's and norbitz' are cousins and started wetsons together here is a little article from a long island fastfood type thread:



In 1959, before McDonald’s and Burger King would blanket the landscape with their ubiquitous outlets, the Island’s own Wetson’s, with its 15-cent burgers and
10-cent fries, established itself. At its peak, Wetson’s had more than 70 hamburger stands throughout the New York metropolitan area. In 1975, as McDonald’s and Burger King continued their unstoppable expansion, Wetson’s was sold to Nathan’s Famous.


To the disappointment of many Long Islanders, Wetson’s 16-year run ended. Nathan’s discontinued the Wetson’s concept and converted many of the restaurants to Nathan’s. The LI hamburger chain created by Norbitz’ father, Harold Norbitz, and his uncle, Carl Wetansen, was no more. It was the mid-’50s when the two businessmen stumbled upon a gleaming new McDonald’s on a trip to Chicago’s suburbs. They were impressed with what they saw—from the golden arches to the cheap food and fast service—and, according to Norbitz, they “basically duplicated it.” They put their own spin on R and D: “Instead of research and development, they had research and duplication,” said Norbitz.




eggsactley
  • Total Posts : 128
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/20/2003
  • Location: Staten Island, NY
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 02/3/07 3:39 PM
0
The former Wetsons on Staten Island at Burger Ave. and Hylan Blvd. has been torn down. It had been an auto parts store for quite some time.

big g in joisey
  • Total Posts : 214
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/13/2003
  • Location: Kearny, NJ
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 02/15/07 10:50 PM
0
My family used to enjoy going to the Wetson's on 46East in Pine Brook,
Nj,when we were younger,it is a Wendy's now,but we used to really like their burgers and fries.

Rob4579
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/28/2007
  • Location: New Windsor, NY
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 03/28/07 6:53 PM
0
I remember the Wetsons on Forest Ave/Broadway on Staten Island.

grtwhtsk
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/8/2006
  • Location: Bismarck, ND
RE: Wetson's - Tue, 04/3/07 5:30 PM
0
I remember my Dad driving us to the Wetsons on Northern Boulevard in Queens.

Buddy Dek
  • Total Posts : 133
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/19/2007
  • Location: Long Island, NY
RE: Wetson's - Mon, 04/16/07 8:51 PM
0
Wetsons had one store on veterans hwy. where it split to become Rt347(smithtown by-pass) also another haven on north service road of sunrise hwy in Bay Shore. I remember them to be second in taste to McD's with their 15c hamburgers.

newwavemichael
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/17/2006
  • Location: smithtown, NY
RE: Wetson's - Sun, 04/29/07 7:48 AM
0
to buddy dek,are you sure that was ever a wetsons at the route 347 split? I have lived 5 minutes from there since 1967 it was a single owned hamburger joint called hubie's,very similar to wetsons,I don't recall it ever being a wetsons,maybe before my time,my dad used to take us to hubie's and then to the smithtown driv-in,some of the best memories I have are from those nights

datsun2K
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/14/2007
  • Location: Summit, NJ
RE: Wetson's - Mon, 05/14/07 7:42 PM
0
I worked in a Wetson's in the Airport Plaza Shopping Center in Hazlet, NJ while in high school in the early 1960's. I remember the fries becasue they were so good. I was often in charge of making them. I would put fresh potatoes in a big spinner machine that would scrub off the skins, then the peeled potatoes would dump in to a large sink full of water to soak for a while to remove some of the starch. I'd then stab potatoes with a big fork and slam them down in a big handled slicer to cut them in to shoestrings where they would fall in to a second sink for soaking. Once I got a big pile of raw cut shoestring potatoes, I would load up the fry baskets and fry them in the hot oil but only to par cook them. Once they were par cooked, they would hang on a big rack that could hold dozens of baskets at a time to cool. When demand for fresh french fries came up, the par cooked potatoes would be dropped in the hot oil again to finish them. This is essentially how pommes frites are made in Europe. When the Wetson's regional manager guy would show up from Staten Island, he was a stickler on doing the french fries right. He was a tough task master to us unruly kids but he taught me the importance of doing a job right and making a product that had integrity. To this day, I still think those fries from Wetson's were like nothing else you could get back then. Nowadays, getting fresh cut french fries is a rarity. Everything is flash frozen now for economy but it just doesn't compare. First time I went to Europe and had pommes frites in Holland, it all came back to me, how good the fries were at Wetson's and how much the pommes frites in Holland tasted like what I remembered.

MacTAC
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/19/2004
  • Location: Long Island, NY
RE: Wetson's - Mon, 05/14/07 8:30 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by datsun2K

Nowadays, getting fresh cut french fries is a rarity.
You're right about that, but we still enjoy them these days at the venerable All American in Massapequa on Long Island...

queens2newport
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/30/2007
  • Location: Newport Beach, CA
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 06/30/07 10:52 PM
0
I remember Wetson's on Northern Boulevard in Little Neck as a kid . . if they closed in 1975, i would have been 10 at the time.

Anyway . . my oldest friend, who I have known since we were 4, was the youngest of 8 kids . . the other 7 older siblings were a mixed bunch, a few of the boys were wild.

Anyway, he told me a story that wayyy back when it was really anything-goes land in NYC and the surrounding areas, his wild older brother and a whole bunch of guys had been drinking all night until they closed a bar in Little Neck at 4AM on a saturday night.

Walking back towards Douglaston where we all grew up, they passed the Wetson's and decided it was time for a 'little snack'. They forced entry & fired up the grill & had a completely insane animal house style rampage for close to two hours, as the story goes.

I can't remember if someone passed out there & they left him, there was something more to the story however it definitely did not include his brother or the group as a whole getting in trouble.

I guess in 75 it turned into a Carvel . . which it possibly still is, I haven't been back to NYC in 7 years or so.

Desert Dog
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/19/2007
  • Location: Glendale, AZ
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 07/19/07 6:29 PM
0
I remember going to Wetsons on Northern Blvd late sixties, didn't they have two clowns? I also remember Chicken Delight, they went out of business in the states but they still have them in Canada.

MacTAC
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/19/2004
  • Location: Long Island, NY
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 07/19/07 6:44 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dog

I remember going to Wetsons on Northern Blvd late sixties, didn't they have two clowns? I also remember Chicken Delight, they went out of business in the states but they still have them in Canada.
They're still in NY, NJ and California. We occasionally still eat at the Westbury location and it's still good...

East811
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/17/2007
  • Location: Atlantic City, NJ
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 10/17/07 1:52 AM
0
yes, I worked @ wetsons pine brook, NJ in the late 60`s.

susan 1955
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/20/2007
  • Location: marietta, GA
RE: Wetson's - Sat, 10/20/07 5:56 AM
0
I have such fond memories of Wetsons. My dad would treat us every few months and take us to the one on 46 in NJ. It was a big deal. I would take orders in the car, which always included milkshakes, and I think in those days (the early 60') our whole family of five ate for under $3.00. Then on the way home we would drive past the Hanover Airport. Ahhh, the good old days.

Taurus4
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/11/2007
  • Location: sarasota, FL
RE: Wetson's - Sun, 11/11/07 5:43 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by datsun2K

I worked in a Wetson's in the Airport Plaza Shopping Center in Hazlet, NJ while in high school in the early 1960's. I remember the fries becasue they were so good. I was often in charge of making them. I would put fresh potatoes in a big spinner machine that would scrub off the skins, then the peeled potatoes would dump in to a large sink full of water to soak for a while to remove some of the starch. I'd then stab potatoes with a big fork and slam them down in a big handled slicer to cut them in to shoestrings where they would fall in to a second sink for soaking. Once I got a big pile of raw cut shoestring potatoes, I would load up the fry baskets and fry them in the hot oil but only to par cook them. Once they were par cooked, they would hang on a big rack that could hold dozens of baskets at a time to cool. When demand for fresh french fries came up, the par cooked potatoes would be dropped in the hot oil again to finish them. This is essentially how pommes frites are made in Europe. When the Wetson's regional manager guy would show up from Staten Island, he was a stickler on doing the french fries right. He was a tough task master to us unruly kids but he taught me the importance of doing a job right and making a product that had integrity. To this day, I still think those fries from Wetson's were like nothing else you could get back then. Nowadays, getting fresh cut french fries is a rarity. Everything is flash frozen now for economy but it just doesn't compare. First time I went to Europe and had pommes frites in Holland, it all came back to me, how good the fries were at Wetson's and how much the pommes frites in Holland tasted like what I remembered.


I lived in Hazlet and remember the Wetsons on RT36 in Airport Plaza. I seem to remember it burned down but as to when I can't say. I don't ever recall ever going there and it may have been burnt down and boarded up as long as I remember. Anyone know the story of this particular Wetsons?

Datsun2k, you were working there before I was even born (1970) so it gives me an idea of how long it was there before I was alive. Any other thoughts or comments would be great.

I always looked at it and hoped they would bring it back as I usually root for the underdog, but it remained un-occupied for as long as I could remember until I moved in 1988.

printernj
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/26/2008
  • Location: hawthorne, NJ
RE: Wetson's - Tue, 02/26/08 1:40 PM
0
I remenber a Wetsons place in Teaneck on Teaneck Road & another in Lodi on Essex Street

mitros
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 2/20/2005
  • Location: hernando, FL
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 02/27/08 8:30 PM
0
I remember the Wetsons in Elizabeth New Jersey. It was on St. George ave., and I recall that they made their frys from FRESH cut potatoes! And the yellow tinge to the bun. Must have been the first bread bun made with egg yolks
quote:
Originally posted by printernj

I remenber a Wetsons place in Teaneck on Teaneck Road & another in Lodi on Essex Street

Flay
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/3/2006
  • Location: Smithtown, NY
RE: Wetson's - Fri, 04/11/08 11:14 PM
0
I just spoke with a co- worker and she remembers the Wetsons at 347 and 454 in Hauppauge long Island from the early 1960's.She says the pool store is there now . Does anybody remember Al Dowd's beefalo burgers on Northern Blvd in Laural Hollow just up the Hill from the fish hatchery in Cold Spring Harbor?They had great burgers and you cuold have a tap beer in a frozen mug!

swirsk53
  • Total Posts : 51
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/5/2006
  • Location: chappaqua, NY
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 04/24/08 4:19 PM
0
The former Roslyn Wetsons still stands as well. It is on the north side of Northern Blvd and is also part of a used car complex. I saw a building near the Bayport LIRR station this past summer that I was also pretty sure was a former Wetsons.

JeannieG
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/7/2008
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
RE: Wetson's - Wed, 05/7/08 8:18 PM
0
The hamburger place at the 347 split was definitely Hubies Hamburgers during the 60's. My brothers and sister and I would beg my father to "HTH...Head to Hubies:):)" before getting on Nesconset Hwy...Mmmmmm...It's now a pool store

kozel
  • Total Posts : 811
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/17/2004
  • Location: Fredericksburg, VA
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 05/8/08 10:18 AM
0
Welcome to the forums Jeannie.

hutt
  • Total Posts : 103
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 4/28/2008
  • Location: north branford, CT
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 05/8/08 10:25 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by JeannieG

The hamburger place at the 347 split was definitely Hubies Hamburgers during the 60's. My brothers and sister and I would beg my father to "HTH...Head to Hubies:):)" before getting on Nesconset Hwy...Mmmmmm...It's now a pool store


Same exact story here, JeannieG! The memories at that great place!
The thick shakes and the roast chicken dinners, the burgers....wow!
The roast chicken & fries dinners were like 59 cents. Fries, burgers for something like 15 cents, more or less? I remember the shakes were really something special and I remember them being 25 cents. Didn't that location become a Wetson's afterwards? I could be mistaken - if you don't know then I'll ask my brother. Going to Hubie's is one of my best memories from childhood. Nice to hear from you!

JeannieG
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/7/2008
  • Location: New Paltz, NY
RE: Wetson's - Thu, 05/8/08 6:13 PM
0
Hmmm...I lived on LI from 1963 - 1986. Worked in the County offices in Hauppauge during the early 70's so I would pass that intersection every day going home and can't say I remember a Wetson's being there,just the pool store after Hubies. Let me know what you find out. Ah, the shakes! Definitely had to have a shake with those yummy burgers:)



khennings
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/10/2008
  • Location: aiken, SC
RE: Wetson's - Sun, 08/10/08 9:39 PM
0
i grew up 4 o 5 blocks from the wetson's in Elizabeth,N.J. (on st. george ave.) on opening day
they gave away hambergers for free. my friends and i were on line all day.i think i got about
20 burgers that day(one at a time). i have not thought about that day in along time.
k. hennings

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 65