Fish Tacos

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 83 of 83
Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17816
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Fish Tacos - Sun, 02/28/10 7:54 PM
Russ Jackson

Michael Hoffman

I've never been able to undestand why anyone would want to ruin both good fish and good tacos by putting them together.

I know it sounds strange Michael. But you really need to try one before you can understand it. If you like fish you will love Fish Tacos...Russ

I like fish and a like tacos. I've had fish tacos. I dislike them.

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Fish Tacos - Mon, 03/1/10 11:58 AM
Michael's post on page 2 got me thinkin;

Why ruin a good steak by chopping it up, then putting it between bread w/  lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickles, mayo, mustard, chili, or who knows what other kinds of other weird toppings. That poor steak... that's just crazzzy!!!
Joe

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1136
RE: Fish Tacos - Thu, 03/4/10 1:16 PM
The same could be said for a lobster roll.  How is a fish taco any different from a fried seafood poorboy, or any other seafood sandwich?  As long as the condiments don't overpower the fish - I see the taco shell as a vehicle for the fish abd like it's warm, crispy texture.   

wanderingjew
  • Total Posts : 7384
RE: Fish Tacos - Thu, 03/4/10 1:23 PM
BelleReve

The same could be said for a lobster roll.  How is a fish taco any different from a fried seafood poorboy, or any other seafood sandwich?  As long as the condiments don't overpower the fish - I see the taco shell as a vehicle for the fish abd like it's warm, crispy texture.   

I disagree,
I'll take a "decent" lobster fresh out of the shell versus the best lobster roll anyday.
However a fish taco is quite unique compared to "just fish" or "just a taco"

DantesRedHot
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Fish Tacos - Fri, 10/1/10 10:19 AM
I use cod or halibut and make a very light beer batter( Sol, cayenne, old bay, white pepper and salt) I found a great recipe for a southwest sauce on youtube ( search: Chef Jason Hill) top with cabbage and homemade pico. I love em and they are so easy. I grew up in Tempe and I haven't been able to find fish tacos out here so I started making them myself.

MontrealMagic
  • Total Posts : 13
RE: Fish Tacos - Tue, 10/12/10 7:27 AM
PapaJoe, I agree lol.
Michael Hoffman just displaying his usual bad attitude.

Had some good tacos in LA, though most of the time I've had to scrape off all the disgusting sauce they bathe it in. I like the simple versions highlighting the fresh fish and tortillas, lightly garnished.

WarToad
  • Total Posts : 1787
RE: Fish Tacos - Tue, 10/12/10 11:41 AM
Having grown up in the Mid-West, I've eaten my fair share of river and lake fish baked, breaded, fried, blackened, pan seared, hot-dished, every which way you can imagine.

Fish taco's 15 years ago to me was unimagineable.  They have hands down become my favorite way to have fish.  Infinately versatile in flavor combinations and textures. 

1bbqboy
  • Total Posts : 4542
RE: Fish Tacos - Tue, 10/12/10 11:48 AM
WarToad

Having grown up in the Mid-West, I've eaten my fair share of river and lake fish baked, breaded, fried, blackened, pan seared, hot-dished, every which way you can imagine.

Fish taco's 15 years ago to me was unimagineable.  They have hands down become my favorite way to have fish.  Infinately versatile in flavor combinations and textures. 

those bagged catfish nuggets make tremendous tacos.

Bogeyman
  • Total Posts : 35
RE: Fish Tacos - Fri, 10/15/10 2:03 PM
Had a great fish taco for lunch today at a little place called Taqueria Los Hermanos in Tucker, Georgia. They have places in Lawrenceville & Lilburn also. This tilapia was flash fried & the meat was still moist, flakey & served with grilled onions, cilantro & lime wedges. The white sauce was almost tarter but not quite & had some heat which did the whole thing justice.

<message edited by Bogeyman on Fri, 10/15/10 2:09 PM>

PapaJoe8
  • Total Posts : 5504
RE: Fish Tacos - Fri, 10/15/10 4:51 PM
Belle, I was just kidding around.

Montreal, you a sharp cookie! LoL

Boogey, those look grea! The sauce makes tha fish taco. Thanks for discribing it. Now to try and make a sauce like that.
Joe

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1136
RE: Fish Tacos - Sun, 10/17/10 4:21 PM
PapaJoe - I'm not mad at you - what a boring world we'd live in, if everyone ate, and liked the same foods.  

KatF
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Fish Tacos - Mon, 02/7/11 12:00 AM
The Taco Spot in Charleston, SC.  Best fish tacos I've ever had.  Everything fresh and homemade, and the largest variety of hot sauces I've ever seen!

1bbqboy
Re:Fish Tacos - Mon, 02/7/11 12:54 AM
hot sauce on fish tacos?

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9548
Re:Fish Tacos - Mon, 02/7/11 3:03 AM
bill voss

hot sauce on fish tacos?

Why not??? Nothing wrong with that.

1bbqboy
Re:Fish Tacos - Mon, 02/7/11 9:38 AM
I like the traditional white zingy sauce. The couple of times I've
put a traditional salsa on them, it ruined the flavor balance for me.
Something like ketchup on a hot dog. :)

dimmie2
  • Total Posts : 238
Re:Fish Tacos - Wed, 02/9/11 11:17 AM
We were going to try some fish tacos at a little place near here.  Drove up in front and the stench was so bad, we backed out and drove away.  They'd be more enticing if they had a nice aroma coming from the place. 

I'm not too wild about anything/everything being rolled up into a taco.  Now if it was a burrito, I might change my mind.

fishtaco
  • Total Posts : 742
RE: Fish Tacos - Wed, 02/9/11 3:59 PM
Bogeyman

Had a great fish taco for lunch today at a little place called Taqueria Los Hermanos in Tucker, Georgia. They have places in Lawrenceville & Lilburn also. This tilapia was flash fried & the meat was still moist, flakey & served with grilled onions, cilantro & lime wedges. The white sauce was almost tarter but not quite & had some heat which did the whole thing justice.

looks pretty tasty!!!

1bbqboy
Re:Fish Tacos - Wed, 02/9/11 6:33 PM
dimmie2

We were going to try some fish tacos at a little place near here.  Drove up in front and the stench was so bad, we backed out and drove away.  They'd be more enticing if they had a nice aroma coming from the place. 

I'm not too wild about anything/everything being rolled up into a taco.  Now if it was a burrito, I might change my mind.

We can get fish burritos here, no problem. Almost too 
much of a good thing though. One does me in.

Foodbme
Re:Fish Tacos - Wed, 02/9/11 8:03 PM
Here in the PHX area, I just recieved a coupon flyer from El Pollo Loco offering FREE Fish Tacos! El Pollo Loco will offer two fish tacos-- the Classic Baja Fish Taco and the Spicy Avocado Fish Taco. Both tacos feature crispy beer battered Alaskan white fish tucked into warm corn tortillas and topped with shredded cabbage and fresh cilantro. The Classic Baja Fish Taco is drizzled with yogurt sauce mixed with El Pollo Loco’s signature house salsa recipe; the Spicy Avocado Fish Taco is topped with yogurt sauce combined with El Pollo Loco’s popular avocado salsa recipe. A slice of fresh lime adds a burst of citrus flavor to each taco.
I like "The Crazy Chicken's" Chicken. It's chicken that's marinated in special herbs, spices and citrus juices and then flame-grilled for flavor that's deliciously different. True Mexican style Grilled Chicken.
El Pollo Loco has more than 380 restaurants in California, Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Colorado, Illinois, Georgia, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, New Jersey and Missouri. If you live near one and haven't tried it, shame on you!

<message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 02/9/11 8:04 PM>

dimmie2
Re:Fish Tacos - Thu, 02/10/11 11:58 AM
We live by one and I haven't tried it.  Don't like El Pollo Loco's greasy chicken.  lol

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Fish Tacos - Thu, 02/10/11 1:22 PM
I have tried fish tacos several times, and they just dont float my boat. And I certainly would not expect any better from El Pollo Loco.Dont care for their chicken, much less anything else they may serve.Just my opinion.

Foodbme
Re:Fish Tacos - Thu, 02/10/11 1:29 PM
dimmie2

We live by one and I haven't tried it.  Don't like El Pollo Loco's greasy chicken.  lol

Strange, I dont find their chicken as greasy at all compared to others like KFC and some cooked in the supermarkets. Maybe you hit  them on a bad day?

dimmie2
Re:Fish Tacos - Thu, 02/10/11 11:00 PM
I might have.  Might have to give them another chance to prove themselves.  :-)

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 83 of 83