Bone or No Bone Steak's

Post
roossy90
Sirloin
2005/11/29 20:14:23
Ok.... I just got a couple of NY Strips from the store, with bone.. Cuz I like to treat the dawg...
I buy at the grocery store, and find that bone-in NY's AND Sirloins are VERY hard to find nowadays...

But.. that steak was one of the best I had in a long long time....
I wanted to eat the bone it was so good!

Just Kidding of course...

What gives..??.. Why did they stop selling without the bone-in?
I have noticed this over the last few years.. And that is Florida to Massachusetts to Maine I have seen this in the last 4 or so years....
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/11/29 21:11:33
IMHO. "Bone-In" sells for less than other. I contribute this to the laziness of the average consumer, i.e. "boneless chicken breasts", etc. A marketing farce...
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/11/29 21:47:20
No question in my book, I would always prefer a bone-in steak versus a boneless.

John
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/11/30 11:34:59
Bone in sells for less per lb. because you're paying for the bone! Depending on the the price, and the weight of the bone, it may or may not be cheaper to buy bone in.

In addition, since I don't eat bone, I don't always want the bone in.

As far as boneless chicken breasts, when there's a sale ($1.99/lb) It's a better deal than bone in. In this case not only am I not paying for the bone, I'm also not paying for the weight of the skin, which is the most unhealthy part of chicken.

I don't cut as well as the butcher, so I will often get boneless when the bone isn't needed. A NY Strip does not need a bone. On the otherhand, a T-bone steak wouldn't really be a t-bone steak without the bone.

On the other hand, if I know I have time to make a soup or stock, I'll go ahead and get chicken and/or beef with the bone depending.

So, it all comes down to either whether I intend to use the bone, whether the price with the bone in is really "cheaper" or not, and whether or not I have time to even deal with the bone.

But if you want a NY Strip with the bone, speak to the butcher and ask for it. I'm sure he'll be glad to do it and will adjust the price accordingly.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/11/30 18:18:22
T_Bones---2---2---2 steaks in one!!!
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/11/30 19:27:51
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

T_Bones---2---2---2 steaks in one!!!


One for me and one for the doodlebug!..
I love a good T-Bone me-self!
CoastFan
Cheeseburger
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/11/30 21:00:10
A bone-in ribeye is pretty hard to beat in my book. When I go to Ruth's Chris, they'll sometimes have it as a special (not on their regular menu). If the waiter doesn't mention it, I'll ask. There have been a couple of times they had it, and I got it.

RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/11/30 21:58:30
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

T_Bones---2---2---2 steaks in one!!!


Plus a bone to gnaw on!

John
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/11/30 22:25:56
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

IMHO. "Bone-In" sells for less than other. I contribute this to the laziness of the average consumer, i.e. "boneless chicken breasts", etc. A marketing farce...

That's exactly right. The desire for "convenience" has made it necessary for vendors to provide meat with less flavor.

Beware whatcha ask for, ya just might get it...
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/12/02 22:02:00
quote:
Originally posted by CoastFan

A bone-in ribeye is pretty hard to beat in my book. When I go to Ruth's Chris, they'll sometimes have it as a special (not on their regular menu). If the waiter doesn't mention it, I'll ask. There have been a couple of times they had it, and I got it.



I saw a few in the Shaws grocery store tonight as a matter of fact!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/12/05 11:27:23
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

IMHO. "Bone-In" sells for less than other. I contribute this to the laziness of the average consumer, i.e. "boneless chicken breasts", etc. A marketing farce...

That's exactly right. The desire for "convenience" has made it necessary for vendors to provide meat with less flavor.

Beware whatcha ask for, ya just might get it...


Isn't the meat quality more important than the bone being connected or not? especially a NY strip (which was the cut that started the thread)? I'm not saying a bone isn't great, especially the steaks that require the bone, such as a T-bone. But I find getting meat with more "flavor" has more to do with the raising of the cattle more than anything else.

on a separate thought, I think that sometimes flavor gets confused with fat content. I've had some very very lean steaks that were far more tasty than fat ladden cuts. I attribute this to the fact that the cattle was free roaming and grain fed.

roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/12/07 13:37:11
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

IMHO. "Bone-In" sells for less than other. I contribute this to the laziness of the average consumer, i.e. "boneless chicken breasts", etc. A marketing farce...

That's exactly right. The desire for "convenience" has made it necessary for vendors to provide meat with less flavor.

Beware whatcha ask for, ya just might get it...


Isn't the meat quality more important than the bone being connected or not? especially a NY strip (which was the cut that started the thread)? I'm not saying a bone isn't great, especially the steaks that require the bone, such as a T-bone. But I find getting meat with more "flavor" has more to do with the raising of the cattle more than anything else.

on a separate thought, I think that sometimes flavor gets confused with fat content. I've had some very very lean steaks that were far more tasty than fat ladden cuts. I attribute this to the fact that the cattle was free roaming and grain fed.




Hmmmm.. that is something to ponder.
Maybe I just happened to get a very tasty cut that day, and it just happened to have the bone --
But still rather have the bone, so as my little doodlebug can have something to occupy himself..
Sharing is caring....
But still, You dont see very many cuts with the bone nowadays... I used to get sirloins that had the bone it..
I think that was the gist of my post anyway...
Where's the bone?.. Ha ha..
I guess it is a convienence factor, like Adjudicator said...
Boss 302
Junior Burger
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/12/12 16:22:37
A New York Strip with the bone is a T-Bone steak.
My butcher ( Hi-Way meat Market ) told me that it is cheaper to buy a steak boneless then with the bone as you can not eat the bone (makes sense to me) so why buy something if you are going to throw it away.
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Bone or No Bone Steak's 2005/12/12 20:46:18
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 302

A New York Strip with the bone is a T-Bone steak.
My butcher ( Hi-Way meat Market ) told me that it is cheaper to buy a steak boneless then with the bone as you can not eat the bone (makes sense to me) so why buy something if you are going to throw it away.


This was not a T bone.. It only had one long side to it, and the bone was thick, my NY's that I got were about 2 inches thick, as was the bone.. Usually dont see a T bone that thick....well, at least not in the restaurants...
Tara