Family edible Christmas tradition

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
  • Reward points : 0
Family edible Christmas tradition - Mon, 12/5/05 7:26 PM
We've done this for at least fifty years. It's pretty to look at, and children love eating it.
We're making a Christmas wreath.

Melt a cube of margarine with one bag of large marshmellows. Mix in 1/2 of a large box of corn flakes, and 1 1/2 tsp. green food coloring.
Form this onto a serving dish in the shape of a wreath. Decorate with red hots for berries and add a bow.

I know, I know...simple minds, simple pleasures.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17828
RE: Family edible Christmas tradition - Mon, 12/5/05 7:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

We've done this for at least fifty years. It's pretty to look at, and children love eating it.

Melt a cube of margarine with one bag of large marshmellows. Mix in 1/2 of a large box of corn flakes, and 1 1/2 tsp. green food coloring.
Form this onto a serving dish in the shape of a wreath. Decorate with red hots for berries and add a bow.

It takes much more than a simple mind to enjoy a simple pleasure. It takes love and understanding and a sense of tradition. You're very fortunate.

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Family edible Christmas tradition - Mon, 12/5/05 10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

It takes much more than a simple mind to enjoy a simple pleasure. It takes love and understanding and a sense of tradition. You're very fortunate.

Ditto, Mr. Hoffman. Poverty, thanks for sharing that. Cool...

I grew up with a huge extended family. I don't have that anymore. I love hearing about people who have kept the traditions. That's what is worth cherishing...

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6229
RE: Family edible Christmas tradition - Tue, 12/6/05 11:27 PM
We already put in our order for edible Christmas stuff with my Mother. A batch of Italian hazelnut torte for me and a batch of "Berscrutti" (Biscotti) for The Big Guy. Then Mom says, "I can't find any hazelnuts here." Don't scratch the order Mom, nice try, but it's not gonna work, I can buy them ON LINE. Silence. She says, "Really?" Yep, they're on a FedEx truck right now. Sorry. Turn the oven on and start baking.

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Family edible Christmas tradition - Wed, 12/7/05 8:46 AM
My Mom still makes her old faithful Bundt pan full of monkey bread on Christmas Eve. This had been a tradition for years along with her hot Cranberry Cider.

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Family edible Christmas tradition - Wed, 12/7/05 7:32 PM
What I like best about our Christmas wreath is this:
A six year old, with a little supervision, can make it, and the total cost is less than the batteries for the toy he wants. Based on my experience, I can promise you that when he's grown, the only thing he'll remember about the Christmas of '05 is the wreath he got to make with grandma and grandpa.