Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Junior Burger
2005/12/14 10:41:48
Personally im a Krispy kreme fan mainly because of the fillings and the free hot fresh donuts they give you upon entry! Does anybody know any killer munchposts around the U.S???
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:40:57
I like the KKs better, but I don't buy enough donuts for it to matter. I am not a coffee drinker, but I buy a lot for my wife, and she thinks that DD is the best by far. When I do buy donuts, it is usually at DD because I am there for the coffee anyway. I need to drive a good distance to get to a KK,,,,,,,,,the local shipped in KKs are horrid. If I am in the mood for a drive, and crave donuts, I generally go to Butler's in Westport Mass. There are several threads about Butler's Donuts on this site. BTW, I crave Mountain Dew too, but had to give it up.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:49:25
Basically, they both suck.
i_crave_mountain_dew
Junior Burger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:55:00
what!!!!! HERECY!!!! kill the non-believer!

where do u eat ur donuts!?!
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:58:21
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

Basically, they both suck.

Please, Tell us what You really think, don't hold back!!!!!!!!!!!
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 12:59:08
If you like KK, enjoy them while they're around. Their stock has been in freefall for ages. DD, on the other hand, was just sold for $2.4 billion. The DD joints are springing up like sugary crocuses, all over the place.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:06:35
quote:
Originally posted by i_crave_mountain_dew

what!!!!! HERECY!!!! kill the non-believer!

where do u eat ur donuts!?!

www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=62

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:08:21
quote:

Personally im a Krispy kreme fan mainly because of the fillings and the free hot fresh donuts they give you upon entry! Does anybody know any killer munchposts around the U.S???

Yes, I do! Sweetwater's of Kalamaoo and Battle Creek Michigan.

I just made Topic about Sweetwater's on "other Desserts"
TFitz
Hamburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:25:53
I agree with wanderingjew. In Baltimore there are still a few "old school" bakeries left. My favorite is Fenwick, a German bakery. As with all things roadfood I would prefer to give my money to a person not a corporation.
i_crave_mountain_dew
Junior Burger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:33:15
oohh theres no doubt that old skool small owner run donut joints are usually a hell of a lot better! i think that krispy kremes are far superior to dunkin donuts, hw cum the stocks falling so much?
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:44:42
If I had to pick between the corporates, Krispy Kreme would be the winner. If I had to pick a mom and pop joint, Marges Donut Den in Wyoming (MI) is my choice. Unfortunatly, Krispy Kreme is only about a 3 or 4 mile drive, where Marges is a 12 or 15 mile drive... :(

renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:46:10
they are doing poorly because they got greedy. too much expansion, too fast. They saw outsourcing their product into supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, etc as a way to get more money. I and a lot of others saw it as degrading their product.

They stuck to donuts which is nice to see. They did not go the DD route of making donuts a peripheral part of their business. But they forgot to keep the donuts something special. They made their product common, and forced it on the populace.

So many people's first taste of a KK now is not freshly baked, but has been sitting around for hours in a gas station. Not the way to enjoy a KK. If that was my experience, I would not get a second one either.

In short, KK did not protect their brand better. They forgot what made them special and are in the process of ruining themselves.
i_crave_mountain_dew
Junior Burger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:46:40
for me its the oter way round i have quite a few small fantastic little donut joints nearby but when getthe KK craving i have to drive for about two or three hours!
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:47:23
Oh, my preference for donuts are Butlers in Westport, MA.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 13:51:57
quote:
Originally posted by Scallion1

If you like KK, enjoy them while they're around. Their stock has been in freefall for ages. DD, on the other hand, was just sold for $2.4 billion. The DD joints are springing up like sugary crocuses, all over the place.

I got the following off from the Dount Donuts website.

Dunkin' Donuts is not a publicly traded company, rather it is a wholly owned subsidiary. The parent company of Dunkin' Donuts Incorporated is Allied Domecq and their stock (ALLD) is traded on the London Stock Exchange.
hatteras04
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 14:24:41
Shouldn't this thread be in the fast food forum and not taking up valuable space where we can debate whether or not to toast a pop tart?
porkbeaks
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 14:33:00
quote:

for me its the oter way round i have quite a few small fantastic little donut joints nearby but when getthe KK craving i have to drive for about two or three hours!

if ur reely in the Tampa area, wy do ti take u solonf to git to a kk? or due u just driv slooow?

http://www.local.com/results.aspx?keyword=krispy+kreme&location=tampa%2C+fl&Submit.x=46&Submit.y=9
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 14:48:38
I agree with renfrew. After years of no KK in my area, we got two, one in each of two major towns outside of Rochester. After about two years, they closed the location in Greece, due to their not needing that excess manufacturing capacity. They siad they can supply all the locations who sell their donuts from the Henrietta store and the Greece store (the one near me) didn't have enought foot/car traffic.

I love the KK glazed donuts when they are fresh, and have trouble inhaling anything less than four at a sitting. Yes, they are so light, it seems like I inhale rather than swallow them. Once they have been sitting on the shelf for a while, they're not that great. Also, I never cared for KK's other donuts. For regular donuts, I prefer DD or Tim Hortons.
stanpnepa
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 15:15:37
Best I ever had...Allie's in N.Kingstown Rhode Island. We get KK's at work...and they're quite tasty "hot". My favorites are the sprinkled and filled with the sweet (non-Boston) cream.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 16:02:38
Dunkin Donuts makes a better doughnut. Maybe not a better glazed, but erverything else is better at Dunkin' Donut, beginning with the coffee and continuing with the apple fritters, blueberry, chocolate, headlights, eclairs, boston creams, etc etc.

KK is a gimick that has taken on by storm. but as they continue selling the crap in grocers and gas stations, people will start associating them with crappy donuts.

I lived in the Piedmont Triad, and I'm happy for the Winton-Salem company, but IMO, Dunkin Donuts are better all around.

But all these bakeries make better donuts (all in Syracuse, NY - and I'm not even mentioning DC and Balto Bakeries): Harrison's, Glory Bee, Community Bakery, Patrician Snowflake, Geddes Bakery, Wegman's, and Bella Bakery.

So, I'm not putting Dunkin' Donuts on a huge pedestal either, but the KK donut becomes a piece of lead in my stomach.

Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 16:52:52
quote:
Originally posted by renfrew

Oh, my preference for donuts are Butlers in Westport, MA.

Once you have been to Butler's, all others pale in comparison!!

I don't get to Butler's often, but I don't bother with other donuts between my visits...it just isn't worth it.

My kingdom for a Long John!!! (wish I had a kingdom!)
Scallion1
Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 16:58:56
quote:
Originally posted by garryd451

quote:

Dunkin' Donuts is not a publicly traded company, rather it is a wholly owned subsidiary. The parent company of Dunkin' Donuts Incorporated is Allied Domecq and their stock (ALLD) is traded on the London Stock Exchange.

I never said DD was a publicly traded company.

It's a subsidiary of Allied Domecq, which, in turn, was bought by Pernod Ricard. The new owners are private equity groups.

If you're interested, here's the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/13/business/13doughnuts.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1134597456-aeM8nOFYiIAYb++6nRFsfw
prius
Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 17:11:16
You cannot beat a fresh KKD...how could anyone believe these soft pillows of light dough melting on your tastebuds could "suck"?
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 21:26:58
quote:
Originally posted by hatteras04

Shouldn't this thread be in the fast food forum and not taking up valuable space where we can debate whether or not to toast a pop tart?

lmao!!
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 21:29:37
quote:
Originally posted by prius

You cannot beat a fresh KKD...how could anyone believe these soft pillows of light dough melting on your tastebuds could "suck"?

i know they are dear to many but as for---sorry--just too darn sweet! I must admit to being partial to real oldfashioned Yankee apple cider cake donuts!!----w/ NO topping or glaze at all!
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 21:45:34
quote:

quote:

quote:

I never said DD was a publicly traded company.

It's a subsidiary of Allied Domecq, which, in turn, was bought by Pernod Ricard. The new owners are private equity groups.

If you're interested, here's the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/13/business/13doughnuts.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1134597456-aeM8nOFYiIAYb++6nRFsfw

Your first post was very, very misleading, you first mention K.K.'s stock price falling, then you mentioned that K.K.'s stock has been falling for years....I agree with all You said is true...

Then You mention Dunkin Doughnuts was recently sold for 2.4 billions, I asummed You meant their Stock, because You were talking about K'K's stock. That's why I thought You meant Donut Donut's stock.

Now help me here, Was Dunkin Donuts sold for 2.4 billion or was Dunkin Donuts Parent Company sold for 2.4 billion?

Also the majority of Allied Domecq Assets and Profits are from the 15 or 20 different Liqours they own and not Dunkin Donuts?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 21:55:20
quote:
Originally posted by prius

The donuts produced by this corporate cookie cutter CHAIN tastes like boiled granulated sugar. There is a local chain here in Southern New England called honey dew donuts. They put out a half decent product. As I said before, I would rather have a three day old Honey Dew Donut than the globs of wet sugar from Krispy Kreme
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/14 23:07:32
I have to agree with wanderingjew here. I have never understood the fascination for Krispy Kremes. And yes, I have tasted them fresh out of the "oven." Wanderingjew's description of them being "globs of wet sugar" hit the mark precisely for me. After eating one bite of these sugar bombs, I always feel as if I need an emergency injection of insulin, and I am not a diabetic. I also cannot discern any other flavoring than pure sugar in their product...and this is regardless of the kind of doughnut I eat there.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 00:29:19
quote:

LOL
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 01:02:17
quote:
Originally posted by mr chips

quote:

LOL

Fast food is Gourmet compared to Pop Tarts!!!" />" />
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 02:00:50
quote:

quote:

quote:

LOL

Fast food is Gourmet compared to Pop Tarts!!!" />" />
You are correct sir.
i_crave_mountain_dew
Junior Burger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 03:27:16
damm rite!!! CANT BEAT a fresh KK!! i dont know if dunkin donuts does fresh out of the oven, but dunkin donuts always seem so grizzly where as KJK just slip down ur throat! i also agree that puttin them out in super markets suck aswell, thats the beauty with small owner run joints, theyve only gt 1 maybe 2 stores and so they can focus on the donuts instead of always trtin to expand!
i_crave_mountain_dew
Junior Burger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 03:30:29
damm rite!!! CANT BEAT a fresh KK!! i dont know if dunkin donuts does fresh out of the oven stuff, but dunkin donuts always seem so grizzly where as KK just slip down ur throat! i also agree that puttin them out in super markets suck aswell, thats the beauty with small owner run joints, theyve only gt 1 maybe 2 stores and so they can focus on the donuts instead of always tryin to expand and impress the board of jerks!
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 07:24:17
I'm with wanderingjew. I would'nt darken eiter one of their door ways on a bet. In this area the small Honey Dew chain is very good but the superior one is Kanes in Saugus Ma. I hate to say it but McDs has better coffee than all of them. Chow Jim
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 08:00:09
Hey I--Crave__Mt _Dew. you wol;dnt happen to a cousin named WafflehouseRules, would ya?
tmiles
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 10:44:07
quote:

they are doing poorly because they got greedy. too much expansion, too fast. They saw outsourcing their product into supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, etc as a way to get more money. I and a lot of others saw it as degrading their product.

They stuck to donuts which is nice to see. They did not go the DD route of making donuts a peripheral part of their business. But they forgot to keep the donuts something special. They made their product common, and forced it on the populace.

So many people's first taste of a KK now is not freshly baked, but has been sitting around for hours in a gas station. Not the way to enjoy a KK. If that was my experience, I would not get a second one either.

In short, KK did not protect their brand better. They forgot what made them special and are in the process of ruining themselves.

Before thre was a KK, there was a KK. "Old" KK was around for years and grew slowly if at all. "New" KK was taken over by promoters who saw a good story to tell.

A long retired friend at one time worked for a division of Beatrice, at a time that Beatrice was a growing, hype driven conglomerate. Beatrice also owned KK. Beatrice left KK alone to make donuts. At corporate planning sessions, as my friend tells me, the KK executives would have to "wash off the flour" to attend the meeting. His comment showed that the KK executives were operation minded leaders who did not hide in an office. When it came time to allocate cash for expansion, the KK execs, to their credit, took the slow growth route to create steady, if unspectacular, profits. Most of the cash went to other parts of Beatrice. As time went by Beatrice had it's own problems, and KK became a cash cow to be sucked dry. KK went through years of change and problems, with the only the outstanding donuts staying the same. IMO, because the donuts stayed so good, and had a very loyal following, the hot shot boys saw a story to be told on Wall Street. Now, as has been mentioned, half the KKs sold are stale, overpriced junk, sold hours after cooking, in supermarkets and gas stations. How can the new management, brought in to save the company, restore the KK reputation?
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 15:21:15
My suggestion would be to immediately stop the outsourcing. Make it so you can only go to a KK shop to get a KK. Also, cut back on the varieties. Stick to the basics and for crying out loud, bring the sour cream back to the Northeast. We can handle it, I promise you. Us Yankees like the sour cream donut.

Second, improve the coffee. Third, make the stores smaller. No need for them to be that big. They feel sterile and corporate now, not homey like the older ones in the south.

Things they should definitely NOT change:

1. Making donuts in the store. This is one of the only chains to still do this and it is a huge benefit.

2. The hot light concept. Used to be a traffic jam when this was on.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 15:36:40
quote:

My suggestion would be to immediately stop the outsourcing. Make it so you can only go to a KK shop to get a KK. Also, cut back on the varieties. Stick to the basics and for crying out loud, bring the sour cream back to the Northeast. We can handle it, I promise you. Us Yankees like the sour cream donut.

Second, improve the coffee. Third, make the stores smaller. No need for them to be that big. They feel sterile and corporate now, not homey like the older ones in the south.

Things they should definitely NOT change:

1. Making donuts in the store. This is one of the only chains to still do this and it is a huge benefit.

2. The hot light concept. Used to be a traffic jam when this was on.

I Understand KK is making a lot of money by having their Donuts being sold in Grocery Stores, Gas Station, Party Stores, et., and etc., I don't think they would give this profit up!

What are they going to gain by stopped selling by this method and also how will they make up this profit.

Alof of these places that sell KK, used to sell Dunklin Donuts or local Pa and Ma Donuts, so by giving this up, they be giving these profits to these companies. I talked to a friend of mine that owns a bakery that employees approx 25 people. He would love for KK to give this type of sales up, He would love to get his old customer back!
mtstroud
Junior Burger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 15:43:40
Heresy to my fellow Southerners, I suppose, but I was quite fond of Dunkin--when they still had retail stores in the region. They have pulled out entirely, and I regret them submitting to KK's monopolizing. I thought the texture was considerably better on Dunkins; they had a bit more "bite" (chewiness) to them, to my taste.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 15:58:05
quote:
I Understand KK is making a lot of money by having their Donuts being sold in Grocery Stores, Gas Station, Party Stores, et., and etc., I don't think they would give this profit up!

What are they going to gain by stopped selling by this method and also how will they make up this profit.

Alof of these places that sell KK, used to sell Dunklin Donuts or local Pa and Ma Donuts, so by giving this up, they be giving these profits to these companies. I talked to a friend of mine that owns a bakery that employees approx 25 people. He would love for KK to give this type of sales up, He would love to get his old customer back!

What they are going to gain is a better product. Yes, they might lose some money in the short term. No question about it. But they are putting out a ****ty product frankly.

My suggestions were in response to tmiles's question regarding what management can do to restore KK to its former glory. To do that, management has to care more about the product and the reputation of what KK once was than the quick short term bucks in selling these donuts everywhere.

Also, I am not sure they are making that much off of this anymore either. At least in the Northeast. When these little kiosks first popped up, the donuts sold really quick. Now every case I see is filled to the brim with old, stale donuts. More than once I have asked the clerk if they still sold a lot of donuts fromt here. The reply? They throw out more than they sell. Some places have started removing the cases.

garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/15 16:23:15
quote:

quote:

What they are going to gain is a better product. Yes, they might lose some money in the short term. No question about it. But they are putting out a ****ty product frankly.

My suggestions were in response to tmiles's question regarding what management can do to restore KK to its former glory. To do that, management has to care more about the product and the reputation of what KK once was than the quick short term bucks in selling these donuts everywhere.

Also, I am not sure they are making that much off of this anymore either. At least in the Northeast. When these little kiosks first popped up, the donuts sold really quick. Now every case I see is filled to the brim with old, stale donuts. More than once I have asked the clerk if they still sold a lot of donuts fromt here. The reply? They throw out more than they sell. Some places have started removing the cases.

I am sure that there sales to other type store have gone down some, when the closest kk to me, opened, it had 5 straight trucks in it's delivery fleet, it now has four! But You, can peddle alot of donuts with 4 straight trucks!!!!!!!!

mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/16 03:37:33
I first visited a kk in suburban D.C. in Virginia. I loved watching the donuts on the belt, the red light, the freebie while waiting in line. I thought they were good and it seemed to me they were a regional chain, like Burgerville or In N OUt that served a quality product I liked
KK moved into suburban Portland with the usual hype and it was fun to go there. But the novelty wore off and I found the donuts to be more ordinary.
Then I moved near Annie's Donuts in Porland. The owner and baker is a Cambodian refugee who works his tail off and makes good donuts and seems more interested in serving good eats than selling nostalgic souveneirs. The coffee could improve but the atmosphere and the donuts are fist rate. KK does not seem so special anymore.
Dunkin Donuts is completely out of the Portland area right now.
sizz_leteen
Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/16 15:23:09
Alright, as ashamed as I am to admit it, I think that KK are orgasmically good, if you're a big donut fan. Ever since my health kick over a year ago, I haven't set foot in a KK, but I'll admit that I LOOOOOOVE the raspberry-filled, kreme-filled, and cheesecake donuts they have. I've never tried DD, but I don't believe I've ever heard anything great about them. I'm really not a big donut person, though. If I absolutely need a donut, I settle for a boring Tim Horton's one. But if I was approached with a box of KK donuts, you can bet I'd lunge at them.
trudyn
Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/21 00:19:41
Seame Donuts in Raleigh Hills(westside suburban Portland) makes an excellent donut. As a side point, Waddle's, an old Portland restaurant, was kicked out of its Jantzen Beach site to make way for a Krispy Kreme. But the KK folks backed out and now this venerable spot will be taken over by Hooter's. Ah, progress.
Hillbilly
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/21 12:04:33
quote:

I grew up with KK in northwestern North Carolina since 1939. They had regular distribution routes to grocery stores and gas stations throughout North Carolina back as far as the 1940s and 1950s. No, the product at the gas station across the street from my elementary school was nothing like the fresh hot glazed donut at the Stratford Road store (bakery)in Winston Salem, but they were still better than most packaged treats. This store was a welcome beacon along highway 421, and one of a very few places open 24 hours.
sizz
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/21 14:10:10
Donuts Anyone?
Cambodian Americans own some 90 percent of California’s donut shops .
Though good statistics are hard to find, there are 1,800 independently Cambodian- or Korean-owned donut shops in Los Angeles alone. And the San Jose Mercury reported that California has approximately 5,000 independent donut shops and that Cambodians own as many as 90 percent of those independent franchises.
http://www.asianweek.com/2000_06_22/biz1_cambodiandonutbiz.html

On our many trips to the east coast Linda and I found Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts to be.... how should I say it nicely? ..... wanting. Like wanting a better donut ........
Comparing Krispy Kreme to Dunkin Donuts is like comparing McDonalds to Burger King....their both bad.
And the east coast coffee that should go with a good donut is also laughable.
Hang in there East Coast there's a Cambodian donut shop coming to your neighborhood soooooooooooon!
laststandchili
Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/21 14:30:56
I don't care for KK, a big box of holes from DD however has eased the miles of many a roadtrip, but I don't go there for anything else.
BTW Carlson's in Annapolis is a local institution (although they've never impressed me that much). They are Thai owned, and w/i the past few years have started offering Thai food, which I've heard is excellent, as well as baked goods.

Vayo con Queso
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/21 17:51:51
I live near Niles Michigan on the Michigan/Indiana stateline, there are only 3 Dunkin Donuts and 1 Krispy Kremes within a 50 miles radius of me!

Maybe D.D. and K.K. are more of a Urban thing than a rural thing.

I search both D.D. and K.K. websites and both have less than 8 stores each in Western Michigan and Northern Indiana

They both have alot of stores in the surburban area of Chicago that is located in Indiana. And they both have alot of stores in the Lansing Area of Western Michigan.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/21 18:15:28
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

Donuts Anyone?

I agree, kk and dd are laughable, however the local independent donut shops of Southern New England are truly the nations best.

As far as coffee, I too laugh at the dredge they serve at Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks for that matter. The local coffee houses in my neighborhood seem to do the trick
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 06:31:40
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Dunkin Donuts makes a better doughnut. Maybe not a better glazed, but erverything else is better at Dunkin' Donut, beginning with the coffee and continuing with the apple fritters, blueberry, chocolate, headlights, eclairs, boston creams, etc etc.

Amen! I'm not a big glazed doughnut fan so the luster or the warm light being on at KK does nothing for me, because I know their other doughnuts are going to stink. I like the chocolate cake and and bavarian creme dougnuts and they are always fresher at DD (although I very rarely ever got to either).
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 07:10:06
Personally there is nothing more than I enjoy than a hot Krispy Kreme. They have improved their coffee. I do not care for the rest of their doughnuts.

The hot ones though are the best. The only problem I have with them is they seem to enlarge when you have ingested about a half dozen

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 08:38:57
quote:

Look at the above post, the post above is the first post on this topic, it doesn't say anything about Dunkin Donuts, Now, look at the last Sentence, which is:

Does anybody know any killer munchposts around the U.S???

I think this why this post don't belong on the fast food forum!
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 09:35:22
Wanderingjew,

I agree with you on the New England independent donut thing. I have found the best donuts at independent shops from New Jersey to Maine.

FPCZYZ - If on your many trips out to the east coast all you have been sampling is KK or DD, I strongly sugggest you get off the highway and try one of these donut shops. A lot of them are reviewed on this site, including two of my favorites: Butlers in Westport Ma and Allies in Kingston RI. As far as coffee goes, I find Starbuck's and Seattle's Best to be just as laughable as the east coast chains. Peet's is pretty good though. But we have plenty of coffee shops on this coast that serve up excellent coffee.

Speaking of Butler's, I went there on Sunday and found out that they had been bought by a new owner recently\. Met their adult children and was chatting a bit with them. They are now open seven days a week, from 5-5. Donuts were as excellent as they always have been and it seems like they wont be messing with them at all. I hope so.

enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 12:44:22
quote:

but dunkin donuts always seem so grizzly where as KJK just slip down ur throat!
So does phlegm, which by the way, I prefer to a Krispy Kreme donut any day.
joanie41
Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 13:13:04
I do like KK donuts, but I refuse to go to our local shop after being treated rudely last year. Don't need to waste my money on empty calories!

I have had some of the great Southern NE donuts (like the ones listed in RF) but as far as I know, there simply isn't that type of shop around here. No good bagels, either. So it's icky chain donuts or none at all. In general, that means I don't eat them at all. Probably just as well; I have a hard time stopping at just one donut!!
saps
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 14:16:03
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

quote:

but dunkin donuts always seem so grizzly where as KJK just slip down ur throat!
So does phlegm, which by the way, I prefer to a Krispy Kreme donut any day.

That's a keeper.
sizz
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 14:36:50
quote:
renfrew Posted - 12/22/2005 : 09:35:22
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you on the New England independent donut thing. I have found the best donuts at independent shops from New Jersey to Maine.

FPCZYZ - If on your many trips out to the east coast all you have been sampling is KK or DD, I strongly sugggest you get off the highway and try one of these donut shops.

yes ..... I am sure there are a few good independent donut shops between NJ and ME.......... but my post above was sticking to the thread's subject KK vs DD. and my point was that in California 90% of our donut shops are independent......... and they are on the highway
lunasatic
Cheeseburger
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/22 14:37:07
Shipley's Donuts in Natchitoches, LA at 7am on Saturday morning! A religious experience! Heaven on earth! Better than sex! GO! GO NOW! GET IN LINE!
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/23 05:38:37
quote:

Donuts Anyone?
Though good statistics are hard to find, there are 1,800 independently Cambodian- or Korean-owned donut shops in Los Angeles alone. And the San Jose Mercury reported that California has approximately 5,000 independent donut shops and that Cambodians own as many as 90 percent of those independent franchises.

On our many trips to the east coast Linda and I found Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts to be.... how should I say it nicely? ..... wanting. Like wanting a better donut ........
Comparing Krispy Kreme to Dunkin Donuts is like comparing McDonalds to Burger King....their both bad.
Hang in there East Coast there's a Cambodian donut shop coming to your neighborhood soooooooooooon!
My favorite Donut shop in Portland, Annie's Donuts is owned by a Cambodian gentleman. I wonder how this ethnic predominance came to be?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts 2005/12/23 07:31:14
quote:

quote:

Donuts Anyone?

My favorite Donut shop in Portland, Annie's Donuts is owned by a Cambodian gentleman. I wonder how this ethnic predominance came to be?

Sounds like a West Coast thing.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial