Punch flavor and Choco-Bake substitutions?

JulesF
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
Punch flavor and Choco-Bake substitutions? - Fri, 05/30/03 10:28 PM
Does anyone know of a non-carbonated punch product that would be similar to the old Hi-C Citrus Cooler flavor? It was lemon-lime-and maybe orange flavor and almost a flourescent green. It was last called "Ecto Cooler," I think. KoolAid made a similar Kiwi-Lime flavor for awhile, but now neither product is made (I checked with the companies.) It made the best punch I can remember (my wedding punch-15 years ago. It was so good it didn't matter that it was "ecto-green.") Now it seems that all the green color drinks are either kiwi or berry flavored and would not work for this punch.

Second product I need a substitution for: I can no longer find pre-melted chocolate called Choco-Bake (Nestles). It came in 3 oz. packets. Normally I'd prefer to use melted chocolate chips or squares of baking chocolate, but don't know what quantity to use or if oil should be added. The recipe is called Ho Ho Cake, it's awesome! (Devil's food cake, topped by a creme "filling", then topped off with a thin chocolate icing or coating layer. Tasted just like Ho Hos!) This Choco Bake was used for the final step, that thin chocolate topping. I don't recall whether this final thin chocolate layer was supposed to firm up or not. (Still waiting for the Nestle folks to email me back on this question!)

I'd be happy to share these recipes if I can find workable substitutions. Thanks!

seafarer john
  • Total Posts : 3481
RE: Punch flavor and Choco-Bake substitutions? - Sat, 05/31/03 10:54 AM
I think Jim jones bought up the whole store of that stuff and took it to Guiana with him about 20 years ago...

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Punch flavor and Choco-Bake substitutions? - Sat, 05/31/03 2:47 PM
Since then......Kool Aid is forever known in our house as "Jim Jones Juice" LOL

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Punch flavor and Choco-Bake substitutions? - Sat, 05/31/03 5:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by JulesF

Does anyone know of a non-carbonated punch product that would be similar to the old Hi-C Citrus Cooler flavor? It was lemon-lime-and maybe orange flavor and almost a flourescent green. It was last called "Ecto Cooler," I think. KoolAid made a similar Kiwi-Lime flavor for awhile, but now neither product is made (I checked with the companies.) It made the best punch I can remember (my wedding punch-15 years ago. It was so good it didn't matter that it was "ecto-green.") Now it seems that all the green color drinks are either kiwi or berry flavored and would not work for this punch.

Second product I need a substitution for: I can no longer find pre-melted chocolate called Choco-Bake (Nestles). It came in 3 oz. packets. Normally I'd prefer to use melted chocolate chips or squares of baking chocolate, but don't know what quantity to use or if oil should be added. The recipe is called Ho Ho Cake, it's awesome! (Devil's food cake, topped by a creme "filling", then topped off with a thin chocolate icing or coating layer. Tasted just like Ho Hos!) This Choco Bake was used for the final step, that thin chocolate topping. I don't recall whether this final thin chocolate layer was supposed to firm up or not. (Still waiting for the Nestle folks to email me back on this question!)

I'd be happy to share these recipes if I can find workable substitutions. Thanks!

Are you thinking of Cactus Cooler by any chance?

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Punch flavor and Choco-Bake substitutions? - Sat, 05/31/03 10:09 PM
Cactus Cooler is an orange-pineapple soda (which I only ever saw in gas station vending machines as a kid).

PS. Jim Jones used only Grape Koolaid.

JulesF
  • Total Posts : 16
RE: Punch flavor and Choco-Bake substitutions? - Tue, 06/3/03 7:10 PM
I think EliseT is right about Jim Jones using only Grape Koolaid. I vaguely remember doing a report on that incident in college.

I found some Choco-Bake at a supermarket I hadn't checked. The substitution is 1 oz packet=1 square of unsweetened baking chocolate (melted).

Still wondering about a substitute for the old Hi-C Citrus Cooler flavor...

Thanks all,
JulesF