Best Soda Pop in the USA!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 116
lennonlover2005
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Reward points : 0
Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Thu, 12/29/05 10:06 AM
My vote is for Vernor's...First made here in Michigan back after the civil War...great for marinating ham, sore tummys and for making creamales...(mix vanilla ice cream and Vernor's together!)www.vernors.com

wheregreggeats.com
  • Total Posts : 4530
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Thu, 12/29/05 10:42 AM
Some friends sent me a six pack of root beer (I'll try to dig up the name) from somewhere in WI. It was excellent.

Kemper products out here in the west is always a good, premium, choice.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Thu, 12/29/05 11:04 AM
Foxon Park Birch Beer and Stewart's Root Beer.

wheregreggeats.com
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Thu, 12/29/05 11:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

A Faxon Park and a JB Special from the now closed BiMonte's Pizza was a great combo -- delivered to my hotel room down the block at the now closed Howard Johnson's made the trip worthwhile.

(That HoJo is one of the only decent ones I've encountered in recent years ... it is now being renovated into a Clarion, by the same operators. The new place will be a valid place to stay, but probably a lot more pricey.)

wheregreggeats.com
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Thu, 12/29/05 11:23 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Dr. Pepper is far better in Texas than anyplace else ???

Is it the water ???

Is it that it is best at the original bottling plant ???

rmcielwain
  • Total Posts : 607
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Thu, 12/29/05 11:43 AM

Is it because they make it with real sugar?

Saint Matt
  • Total Posts : 183
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Thu, 12/29/05 11:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Has anyone else noticed that Dr. Pepper is far better in Texas than anyplace else ???

Is it the water ???

Is it that it is best at the original bottling plant ???

Dr. Pepper that is bottled in Dublin, Texas is made with pure cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. That's why it's so much better. I don't like regular Dr. Pepper, but love "Dublin Dr. Pepper."

http://www.dublindrpepper.com/

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Thu, 12/29/05 12:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lennonlover2005

My vote is for Vernor's...First made here in Michigan back after the civil War...great for marinating ham, sore tummys and for making creamales...(mix vanilla ice cream and Vernor's together!)www.vernors.com

I LOVE Vernor's. I grew up on that in Miami, FL!
And that is going back to the 60's and I still buy it to this very day!
Another vote is for Royal Castle Birch Beer....
Tara

Fat guy 42
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Fri, 12/30/05 3:38 PM
Dr Browns cream soda... I like Vernor's too!

And I'm definitely a pepper

roossy90
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Fri, 12/30/05 7:32 PM
Ever notice how you always sneeze after you pop open a Vernor's?
Tara
(or is it just me?

lennonlover2005
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Fri, 12/30/05 8:24 PM
I sneeze too....but then that is a part of the appeal of Vernor's...if you yahoo the name and look it up under "images" you will find an original Vernors mural in Flint Michigan from the 1920's or 30's...very cool. You can get Vernors cream ales at Bill Thomas Haloburgers...soooo worth it! (or make it yourself...)

roossy90
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Fri, 12/30/05 8:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by lennonlover2005

I sneeze too....but then that is a part of the appeal of Vernor's...if you yahoo the name and look it up under "images" you will find an original Vernors mural in Flint Michigan from the 1920's or 30's...very cool. You can get Vernors cream ales at Bill Thomas Haloburgers...soooo worth it! (or make it yourself...)

I think I would be disappointed if I DIDNT sneeze.... It seems to be a part of drinking one!
Tara

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15059
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Fri, 12/30/05 9:00 PM
Vernor's, 'Real Dr Pepper' (yes you can taste the difference), Mission Orange (SoCal, but no longer available I think), Moxie, Cheerwine, Icy-Mug A & W Root Beer where it is still on 'Draft'. All of the above are on my top-taste list.
Add to that Big Red when I want to fit into the social group at a Texas BBQ that doesn't serve Beer.

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1682
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Fri, 12/30/05 9:18 PM
I too love Vernor's..................... and it looks like we all love Vernor's so I wonder why it's so damn hard to find............... I remember as a kid in up-state NY there was a shop that all they served was Vernor's it came out of a fountain not a bottle, and you could also get it with a shot of a real cream ................. yes Vernor's is my all time favorite
and now for what I think has got to be the worst Soda Pop in the world..... " MOXIE" yuk

any one ever heard of a Pop called Johnny Ryan?

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 8:25 AM
Green River
Orange Crush
Sprecher's Root Beer
Dr. Brown's Black Cherry

QFan
  • Total Posts : 641
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 9:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Vernor's, 'Real Dr Pepper' (yes you can taste the difference), Mission Orange (SoCal, but no longer available I think), Moxie, Cheerwine, Icy-Mug A & W Root Beer where it is still on 'Draft'. All of the above are on my top-taste list.
Add to that Big Red when I want to fit into the social group at a Texas BBQ that doesn't serve Beer.

ATM, I usually agree w/ you on most things, but have you actually tasted Moxie? Stuff tastes like cough syrup. Living on the eastern seaboard for the past 30+ yrs I had heard distant rumors from New Englanders about the Moxie mystique. So this past summer Mrs QFan and I had an opportunity to take a car trip through parts of Maine and managed to find some Moxie at a small gas station. Well, QFan had to try it and UGHHH! Couldn't even finish the bottle. I guess you either love it or hate it. I don't see how you could be lukewarm about the stuff.

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL

mayor al
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 10:09 AM

QFan,
I understand your feelings about MOXIE. When I tried it the first couple of times my reaction was just like yours...But Watch Out, The stuff grows on you. It DOES taste like carbonated LAVORIS mouthwash! But after a while you start to crave it !! It's not the top of my list...but when we get within the marketing area I have to have it !! Forget the Diet version...It is yuck!!

mr chips
  • Total Posts : 4715
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 10:13 AM
Henry Weinhard's Root Beer is a personal favorite.

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3090
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 1:53 PM
Sprecher and Blumer's Root Beer are both great. So CSD, how was the Berghoff? Huber Brewing Company in Monroe WI makes both Blumer's soft drinks and Berghoff beer. This fall Monroe has their Cheese Festival and it's well worth attending. Baumgarteners Tavern in downtown Monroe is a working American treasure and serves Roadfood worthy sandwiches such as a Limberger on rye with a thick slice of raw onion;mmmm!
BTW, I love Diet Blenheim's!

roossy90
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 1:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

I too love Vernor's..................... and it looks like we all love Vernor's so I wonder why it's so damn hard to find............... I remember as a kid in up-state NY there was a shop that all they served was Vernor's it came out of a fountain not a bottle, and you could also get it with a shot of a real cream ................. yes Vernor's is my all time favorite
and now for what I think has got to be the worst Soda Pop in the world..... " MOXIE" yuk

any one ever hear of a Pop called Johnny Ryan?

I cant find it up here in Maine, but it was all over the grocery stores in Florida...I MISS IT!
Poor substitute is regular ginger ale, but I only like Schweppes...

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 2:03 PM
Sorry for being so ordinary but it is definately Diet Coke for me. I have it for breakfast.

I was in Germany a few years ago and they thought I was crazy for wanting a Diet Coke for breakfast. The waitress got downright agitated when I requested the third one.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

mayor al
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 2:54 PM

Paul,
You're not alone. I do enjoy Mountain Dew with my 'Libation' in the evening. We chuckle as we call the mixture a "Redneck Whiskey Sour", but we enjoy them very much.

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 3:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Sprecher and Blumer's Root Beer are both great. So CSD, how was the Berghoff? Huber Brewing Company in Monroe WI makes both Blumer's soft drinks and Berghoff beer. This fall Monroe has their Cheese Festival and it's well worth attending. Baumgarteners Tavern in downtown Monroe is a working American treasure and serves Roadfood worthy sandwiches such as a Limberger on rye with a thick slice of raw onion;mmmm!
BTW, I love Diet Blenheim's!

We had a great time. See my review under the "Berghoff's Closing " post. BTW, I enjoyed a cold mug of Berghoff's root beer last night with my wiener schnitzel. Another good Wisconsin drink is Gray's Gourmet Root Beer. They've been around forever.

Happy New Year

CSD

Big Dave
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 3:42 PM
My top choice is TaB. I get regular Diet Coke if the Kroger doesn't have TaB.

cementhead
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 4:24 PM
I really like sundrop.It is not available where I live.Maybe if I could get it anytime it would lose its appeal.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sat, 12/31/05 5:35 PM
Vernors
Dr Pepper
Fountain Coke
Stewart's Grape
Nesbitts Orange (NLA)

phatphil
  • Total Posts : 668
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sun, 01/1/06 1:10 PM
nehi grape,dads root beer and a cold glass bottle only of green river

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sun, 01/1/06 2:25 PM
Jones Turkey and Gravy, or the Broccoli Casserole flavor. I've had this stuff for a few weeks, along with Corn-on-the-Cob, and two others. I took this stuff to work but everyone was chicken to try it- me too! I just can't imagine! Brand new gift pack will be put away until a brave soul crosses my threshold.

lennonlover2005
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sun, 01/1/06 3:45 PM
To roossy90 and fpczyz and anyone else here that loves Vernor's and CANNOT find it in their locale...I would be more than willing to send you a bottle or can no charge( I AM SEROUS!)...just so you can have a taste again. I took some to my Michigan friend who lives in New Zealand and she cried tears of joy when I gave her a can of it! So just email me at carachapina@yahoo.com and we can arrange something...My treat!

enginecapt
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sun, 01/1/06 3:55 PM
What a nice thing to do! It's available in So Cal, otherwise you'd be hearing from me.

tarragon
  • Total Posts : 354
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sun, 01/1/06 4:27 PM
Definitely a Vernor's fan here too - grew up in Michigan so had the "real deal" first hand. And the diet's not -too- bad either. [:P] Yesterday my daughter and I were at a local A&W/KFC outlet and she had the A&W rootbeer from the tap, but it tasted strange. Dunno if it was a bad batch or maybe the tap wasn't mixing stuff right - it definitely tasted different from what A&W root beer should taste like. When I can't get Vernor's (some stores here carry it, others don't), my ginger ale of choice is Canada Dry. Which used to make my very favorite soda: Cherry Ginger Ale! I don't know why they stopped making it; the raspberry and cranberry versions just don't make it, but that Cherry Ginger Ale was the best stuff.

sizz
  • Total Posts : 1682
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sun, 01/1/06 4:44 PM
quote:
lennonlover2005 Posted - 01/01/2006 : 15:45:39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To roossy90 and fpczyz and anyone else here that loves Vernor's and CANNOT find it in their locale...I would be more than willing to send you a bottle or can no charge( I AM SEROUS!)...j

yes indeed a very nice thing to do.................... and you said it comes in a bottle?? now that's what I would love to have. I'd drink the Vernor's and fill up the empty bottle with tea ,recap it and have it sitting on my desk as a reminder of what was the best Pop ever made.

El Guapo
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Sun, 01/1/06 4:47 PM
Hello, all... after many years of reading, this seemed like a fine first topic on which to post.

While I always make a point to enjoy a Vernor's or six when I travel through the Midwest, my favorite regional ginger ale is actually Blenheim, from South Carolina. When last I had it, it was still available only in glass bottles, and in varying degrees of hotness. The bite of Blenheim, and its strong true-to-ginger flavor, makes it a favorite.

But my real addiction is to a New England regional soda, Polar Orange Dry, which is available in both regular and diet versions. The soda, made with 10 percent orange juice, is reminiscent of Orangina, but I prefer the flavor of the Polar version. Whenever I drive through New England, I fill my car with many, many cases. Polar makes a wide range of other unusual sodas-- I picked up a bottle of Pomegranate Dry on my last trip through-- as well as two types of ginger ale, the pale dry version that most brands offer, as well as the sweeter, darker "golden" variety.

roossy90
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Mon, 01/2/06 6:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by El Guapo

Hello, all... after many years of reading, this seemed like a fine first topic on which to post.

While I always make a point to enjoy a Vernor's or six when I travel through the Midwest, my favorite regional ginger ale is actually Blenheim, from South Carolina. When last I had it, it was still available only in glass bottles, and in varying degrees of hotness. The bite of Blenheim, and its strong true-to-ginger flavor, makes it a favorite.

But my real addiction is to a New England regional soda, Polar Orange Dry, which is available in both regular and diet versions. The soda, made with 10 percent orange juice, is reminiscent of Orangina, but I prefer the flavor of the Polar version. Whenever I drive through New England, I fill my car with many, many cases. Polar makes a wide range of other unusual sodas-- I picked up a bottle of Pomegranate Dry on my last trip through-- as well as two types of ginger ale, the pale dry version that most brands offer, as well as the sweeter, darker "golden" variety.

See Polar all the time here, wish it was vernors! HA HA...
Soon, soon, I will be south again..and be able to sneeze at my favorite sodsa!
Thanks for the offer, Lennonlover!

Tara

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Mon, 01/2/06 7:10 PM

I love Hire's Rootbeer, but it is hard to find in my part of Michigan!!

roossy90
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 01/3/06 7:15 PM
oops, I didnt mean to call you a lemmonlover.. lol.. i just changed my faux pax... sorry..
LOL at myself here....

Poverty Pete
  • Total Posts : 2266
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 01/4/06 7:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers
Another good Wisconsin drink is Gray's Gourmet Root Beer. They've been around forever.

Happy New Year

CSD

Gray's has been around since 1856. I used to be their brewmaster. If you like your soft drinks made with cane sugar instead of HFCS, they still do.

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 01/10/06 4:37 PM
My favorite drink is Grapico, but would only have one as a treat because of the sugar and calories. Now there is a Diet Grapico and it is wonderful. Wal-mart and a few other stores here carry it. I buy a 12 pack every week.

10X10
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 01/10/06 5:03 PM
There was time when that HoJO housed a Jimmies of Savin Rock restaurant. And yes, there was a time that a JB special or a pie from Sorrento's could stand up strong and proud to the boyz on Wooster st.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

A Faxon Park and a JB Special from the now closed BiMonte's Pizza was a great combo -- delivered to my hotel room down the block at the now closed Howard Johnson's made the trip worthwhile.

(That HoJo is one of the only decent ones I've encountered in recent years ... it is now being renovated into a Clarion, by the same operators. The new place will be a valid place to stay, but probably a lot more pricey.)

Gizmolito
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 01/10/06 6:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

I stay away from sugar, so my favorites are:

Diet Dr. Pepper
Dr. Brown's Diet Cream
Stewarts Diet Root Beer
and I just re-discovered FRESCA. It's good!

The new Fresca is great. FRESCA Black Cherry is quite a thirst quencher!

Star0082
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 6:00 PM
I was wondering if it was possible for someone to explain what cheerwine is. I'm aware that it is a soft drink but was wondering if someone could describe what it is and what the market area for this drink is. Thanks, Tom

matilda
  • Total Posts : 667
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 6:07 PM
Has Tahitian Treat been mentioned?

angeltearsmc
  • Total Posts : 319
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 6:20 PM
Tom - Cheerwine is made in North Carolina and is marketed in the Southeast. We have it here in northeast Tennessee. It's like super-cherry-ish Dr. Pepper. I liked it okay, but it was a little too sweet for my tastes, and I was drinking the diet one. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheerwine

My "local" favorite soda has to be Dr. Enuf - bottled right here in Johnson City, Tennessee! It's similar to ginger ale, or maybe Ale 8 One (a Kentucky area soda), but really has a clean taste and is very refreshing. Comes in original and herbal (which is cherry-flavored), diet and regular. I like the diet original best (I don't drink regular sodas.)

janifer
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 7:14 PM
Tahitian Treat and Wink are/were two of my all-time favorites.

I can regularly find TT; adult Hawaiian Punch. When I'm craving pseudo grapefruit fizz I can occasionally get Squirt at my local Publix (or more reliably when I go back to NE Ohio to visit my Mom). Growing up there was another grapefruit soda called 50-50; I think it was made by Cotton Club (I think from Cleveland; most likely defunct). Also really liked the Lemon Sour soda that was made by Golden Age another NE Ohio area soft drink bottler that I'm sure is defunct.

I agree with angeltearsmc's assessment of Cheerwine. It was distributed here in NW Florida for a bit years ago and I took a liking to it. I'm in North Carolina two or three times a year and always try to remember to bring a few bottles back with me.

wheregreggeats.com
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 7:29 PM
Hello old topic ...

Vernor's ... I t has been a while, has it been adulterated by a corporation?

Foxon ... Still awesome.

What ever happened to Canfield's?

Star0082
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 7:37 PM
Thank you Angletearsmc for your speedy reply. I have enjoyed Dr. Pepper since first tasting it in Wyoming in 1961 but at the time lived in Massachusetts and didn't even see it again for about 15 years. I still drink it on a semi-regular basis. I will have to try Cherrywine when the opportunity comes up. Thanks again, Tom

goodeatsfan
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 8:44 PM
quote:

Some friends sent me a six pack of root beer (I'll try to dig up the name) from somewhere in WI. It was excellent.

Kemper products out here in the west is always a good, premium, choice.

sprecher root beer.. its brewed like 5 miles from my house in milwaukee i think its the best

also if your ever in milwaukee they give free tours with free samples
which is nice if your over 21 cuz they also make beer

Robearjr
  • Total Posts : 1102
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 9:57 PM
My vote will go to Ale-8-One. No soda mixes better with Bourbon.

Angelle
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 10:27 PM
I like IBC Root Beer, and I love and ice cold NEHI orange soda.

We can still get NEHI right here in So. Cal

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 10:51 PM
Apparently Bruce Bilmes, webmaster extraordinaire, likes Cheerwine, too -- because he posted my canned soda picture over a more appropriate chicken photo from my review of Price's Chicken Coop today. I lived in SC almost all my life and cannot live with Cheerwine. I am now privileged to live in eastern CT, where I drink Hosmer Mountain sodas regularly, locally bottled and 20+ flavors. They have a Coke and Pepsi equivalent (called "Cola Red" and "Cola Blue," respectively) that actually taste better than the originals...low carbonation and a smooth, full-bodied taste.

Then again, my grandparents live in San Antonio, and every summer we'd visit and I'd drink Big Red until I was sick!

SRB
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 11:17 PM
I love Vernors, and my mom always makes sure to have some in the fridge when I'm visiting my family in Ohio - can't get it here in New England. Polar Golden Ginger Ale ain't bad, but it ain't Vernors. (Is it my imagination, or is Vernors sweeter than it was 20 years ago?)

Also - A&W draft & cream soda, Stewart's root beer, and Schweppe's Bitter Lemon (on the rare occasions I can find it - I got hooked on it in Europe, but rarely see it in the states). I like Dr. Pepper but prefer Mr. Pibbs. Every now & then I try a Fanta Red Pop for nostalgia's sake, but I can't say I really like it anymore.

Rick F.
  • Total Posts : 1736
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Tue, 12/11/07 11:34 PM
Vernor's: ok, but a little sweet for ginger ale.
Cheerwine (courtesy Tara): very good.
Delaware Punch: THE BEST!

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 12/12/07 1:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ayersian
Apparently Bruce Bilmes, webmaster extraordinaire, likes Cheerwine, too -- because he posted my canned soda picture over a more appropriate chicken photo from my review of Price's Chicken Coop today.

Ha! Actually, I've had Cheerwine only once or twice. I like it, but the real reason I put that photo on top was I just liked it - the cans of Cheerwine, the fried pie, the sweet potato pie, and the cardboard take-out box just made for an evocative Roadfood tableau (and it's a better photo, too).

Hank's root beer, a Philly brand, is delicious and vanilla-creamy, and priced within reason. The luxury-priced Virgil's root beer is extraordinary, full of interesting flavor, lots of body - more of a sipping root beer. I wish I could get Manhattan Specials around here - it's an espresso soda made with sugar, excellent stuff. And I love Coke when it's made with real sugar, ice-cold directly from those sexy little Coke bottles.

unabashed
  • Total Posts : 435
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 12/12/07 1:36 AM
Stewart's Root Beer & Cream Soda... and of course COKE

mayor al
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 12/12/07 11:28 AM

Someone asked if the Vernor's recipe had changed. I was wondering about that also. It seems to be a bit sweeter and doesn't seem to 'burn' as much. That may just be my aging tastebuds though. Vernors is about the only thing I purchase at our local Meijers store. It is a Michigan based Wally-World sort of place, but they do stock Vernors in regular and diet format as well as a number of FAYGO Flavors. My grandkids seem to love the 'Red Pop' strawberry soda.

I recall that COTT's soda in the Northeast used to offer two types of Ginger Ale...one was "Extra Dry", with a light flavor and color but enough "fizz" to really do a nice job of burning your throat if you gulped it too fast. The second was a "Golden", which seemed to be close to the VERNORS formula. From reading the posts above it seems that POLAR has done much the same in their recipes.

My description of Cheerwine would be a very sweet cherry soda. I don't taste the cola/dr pepper influence at all in it. It is available now and then in the Louisville area...but you have to search it out !!

Nancypalooza
  • Total Posts : 3778
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 12/12/07 11:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

And I love Coke when it's made with real sugar, ice-cold directly from those sexy little Coke bottles.

They *are* sexy! I guess it's all shapes and Freud; Mexican Coke is the closest thing you can easily get to it around here. The yellow-topped two-liter bottles of kosher Coke (with sugar) are available in the spring, but it's not quite the same as the sexy glass bottle.

I'm a Cheerwine dissenter as well. It's cherry soda and it's just too sweet for me. You can occasionally find Cheerwine ice cream in the supermarkets around here, and I think it makes more sense as an ice cream flavor. I will gladly haul it up to the relatives in MN though, and I have taken it to the West coast for a NC-native junkie friend of mine.

enginecapt
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 12/12/07 11:48 AM
Your taste buds are hundreds of years older than mine Al, and I say the same about Vernors not burning as it once did.

aharste
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 12/12/07 12:15 PM
1919 Root Beer from New Ulm , MN. Only available in kegs

ayersian
  • Total Posts : 897
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 12/12/07 12:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen
My description of Cheerwine would be a very sweet cherry soda. I don't taste the cola/dr pepper influence at all in it. It is available now and then in the Louisville area...but you have to search it out !!

You're right, Al, I've seen it in parts on TN, too. Similarly, I used to think that Big Red was only in Texas, but I've bought it as far north as WV and as far west as the L.A. area!

mayor al
RE: Best Soda Pop in the USA! - Wed, 12/12/07 1:17 PM
Big Red is sort of unique. It seems to be available in many parts of the country, but is not well known in many of those same areas. When I returned to SoCal in 1986 I found Big Red in many of the 'discount coolers' in the ARCO AM/PM Mini-Marts, yet very few of my students had every tried it. They were suprized to see a photo I posted in class of a BIG RED vending machine (like the Coke and Pepsi can dispensers) and claimed to have never heard of it...but it was sitting in the mini-marts in their area. Thats a sign of pretty poor marketing plans on the part of the company. My secretary at the college here in Indiana used to start her day with a 44 oz Big Gulp of Big Red. it is a common fountain beverage here in the Louisville area.

The Sprecher Root Beer from Wisconsin is outstanding. I recommend it for any root beer lover. Ann gave us a six-pack of Dang's Butterscotch Root Beer a few weeks ago when we met in Milwaukee. I must admit I could get attached to it. Think of drinking a good root beer while having a mouthful of butterscotch Life Savers.

I have yet to come across an orange soda that equals the old SoCal brands of Mission or Nesbitts. Nehi is close but is missing something in the transition.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 116