Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
  • Reward points : 0
Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Fri, 12/30/05 11:42 PM
Central Georgia farm country is not really the worst roadfood void, but it is probably in the running. There is not much out here. I did some research before I left home, and I have kept an eye out for stuff on the road, but I think I can say that Fort Valley, GA is nowhere I would want to be trapped needing a good meal. Perry seems to be the hip town nearby, and that should tell you something.

I did some driving around today and found one place that looked like it was worth trying, so I stopped in and scoped it out. It is Log House BBQ on the outskirts of downtown Fort Valley. If you are driving along I-75, it is about 10 miles west off of Exit 136.

The building looks like one of those pre-fab log cabin kits. There was one small, wooden sign out front advertising all the things that they smoke -- ribs, chicken, boston butt, shoulder, etc. The parking lot is dirt gravel, and there is one neon sign that simply says "OPEN." Seemed like my kind of place.

When you walk in, there are only two seating tables on either side of the door, and they only accommodate about three people each. There is one long family-style dining table in the middle, but there were no chairs surrounding. You walk up to the counter and place your order. The menu is hand-written on a dry erase board. To say that options are limited would be an understatement. Chicken (1/4 and 1/2), pulled pork and half-slabs of ribs were all available as "meals" served with two sides (beans, cole slaw, or potato salad) for between $5 and $9. They also offered pulled pork and rib sandwiches and brunswick stew. That was about it.

Since I was in a hurry, I just orderd a pulled pork sandwich ($2.99) and a glass (errr....styro cup) of sweet GA tea. All meals come out packaged to go -- and I am sure that the bulk of their business doesn't fight over the two tables that are available, except to wait for their meals to be prepared. In my to go order, the sandwich (pork and two pickle slices on thick white bread) was packed with a small ramekin of BBQ sauce. The pork was delicious -- good smoky flavor, just the right amount of fat to make the meat really juicy, and plentiful on the bread. The pork was pretty good without the sauce, but I added a little to the tail end of my sandwich for tasting sake. It had a little kick to it, but for the most part was nothing exceptional.

I have to say, it was about the best $3 pork sandwich I have had in a good while. If I were driving by again, depending on how hungry I was, I might drive the distance from the interstate.

pcdiva
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Tue, 01/10/06 3:45 PM
wow Ft. Valley has something worth writing about?! I'll have to stop by when I get home to GA again.

Perry is NOT a hip town, but the New Perry Hotel has some fairly good food unless they've aggrivated the head cook again. I like the little hard biscuits and relish tray that they bring to the table. (When you grow up in Warner Robins, you know these things)

Thanks for the update,
Alice

The Travelin Man
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Tue, 01/10/06 4:55 PM
I don't know if I wrote it for anyone else or my own notes for next time. But, it wasn't a bad stop....and there was no information on any places near there otherwise.

tgfny
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Thu, 01/12/06 3:27 PM
My parents are from Ft. Valley. Glad there is a new place now that Nu Way closed its stand there. (15 yrs ago or so.)

The Travelin Man
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Thu, 01/12/06 4:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tgfny

My parents are from Ft. Valley. Glad there is a new place now that Nu Way closed its stand there. (15 yrs ago or so.)

There was also a (new looking) NuWay about a half mile up the road from Log House BBQ. I only remembered seeing it because I was staring at it while filling up at the Shell station across the street.

Heartbreaksoup
  • Total Posts : 407
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Mon, 09/19/11 1:26 PM
Necropost!

This thread came up in search results as I am researching Macon-area BBQ joints for accurate listings at Urbanspoon.  Anyway, Log House's phone number is disconnected and I don't see any genuine information about this restaurant any more recent than this thread, so it looks like it has gone with the wind.

The Travelin Man
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Thu, 09/22/11 9:48 AM
Well, I am a little sorry to hear that the place didn't make it - but, I know that I haven't been back in the five years it has been since I made this post.  

CajunKing
  • Total Posts : 6317
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Thu, 09/22/11 1:03 PM
The Travelin Man

Well, I am a little sorry to hear that the place didn't make it - but, I know that I haven't been back in the five years it has been since I made this post.  

Watch it #1 Son

We may have to add a second definition to your name.

A place you visit closes for good and it has become "travelinmanned"

billyboy
  • Total Posts : 2363
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Thu, 09/22/11 2:21 PM
TTM, you may yet become the Ted McGinley of Roadfood (think Happy Days, Love Boat, etc...)!

The Travelin Man
RE: Log House BBQ, Fort Valley, GA - Fri, 09/23/11 4:45 PM
I believe that Jon Hein called Ted McGinley the Patron Saint of Shark Jumping back when he had his web site (i.e. before he sold out to become one of Howard Stern's sidekicks!).  

It's a badge of honor that I will wear.