Anyone else love rice pudding?

Double Cheeseburger
2006/01/11 13:46:13
Recently I had oral surgery and have had to go on a soft diet. Having grown tired of pudding, Jello, etc., I thought about rice pudding. Haven't had any homemade since my grandmother made it for me. That was when I was eight years old and she came to stay with us when my brother was born. I am now collecting Social Security. Anyway, I found a wonderful recipe and want to share it with you. Here it is:
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/3 cup raw rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional but good)
1/3 cup raisins
Combine milk, rice, and salt in heavy saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender (about 20 mins.). Stir frequently.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk brown sugar and egg. Add half a cup of the hot rice mixture, beating quickly to blend. Add egg mixture back into the pan and stir, on low heat, for 10 mins. or so, until thickened. Do not boil! Stir in vanilla, remove from heat, stir in the raisins. Serve warm or cold. Makes about 4 servings, less if you're really craving it.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/01/11 14:22:25
quote:
Originally posted by shortchef

Recently I had oral surgery and have had to go on a soft diet. Having grown tired of pudding, Jello, etc., I thought about rice pudding. Haven't had any homemade since my grandmother made it for me. That was when I was eight years old and she came to stay with us when my brother was born. I am now collecting Social Security. Anyway, I found a wonderful recipe and want to share it with you. Here it is:
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/3 cup raw rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/3 cup raisins
Combine milk, rice, and salt in heavy saucepan, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until rice is tender (about 20 mins.). Stir frequently.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk brown sugar and egg. Add half a cup of the hot rice mixture, beating quickly to blend. Add egg mixture back into the pan and stir, on low heat, for 10 mins. or so, until thickened. Do not boil! Stir in vanilla, remove from heat, stir in the raisins. Serve warm or cold. Makes about 4 servings, less if you're really craving it.

GREAT POST!!!!

I love rice pudding, My late Grandmother, made the best rice pudding, I have ever eaten, I haven't tasted any quite like it. She kept the receipe in her head and nobody in the family knows it.

A side note, I never knew it was rice pudding until I was in my late teens, My Grandmother always called it "rice". When Grandma made "Rice" everyone knew what whe meant!
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/01/11 14:37:58
Hey Short Chef I copied your recipe because I love rice pudding and yours is different. Never put brown sugar in RP, but there is a first for everything. If it turns out good I will get back to you. I have a few recipes for rice pudding that I will send you----if I can find them. In the meantime ----------------------------Bon Apetit (stolen from Julia)
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/01/11 14:40:26
I absolutely detest ricce pudding with raisins. I remember this restaurant my uncle use to take me to, where the waiter would always ask if I wanted flies in my rice pudding. Terrible place, the Normandie Restaurant on Chapel Street in New Haven.
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/01/11 14:43:02
In graduate school, we went through a phase of looking for good eats for cheap. I had a rice pudding phase. I went through about 10 recipes; boiled and baked. My favorite ended up being something like taking all the ingredients, including raw rice, mixing them up, and popping it all into the oven, and cooking until dry, i.e, the rice cooked. It came out pretty good.
4fish
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/01/12 19:16:04
If you don't mind delayed gratification, you can make the first part of the recipe foolproof by cooking it in a double boiler. You don't have to worry about it boiling or burning, but it does take about two hours as opposed to twenty minutes.
NYNM
Filet Mignon
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/01/16 00:13:31
I've had some RP in local East Indian Restaurants. Often featured on the menu.
A bit different: more like sweet rice soup (much more thin) - good spice, rather tasty.
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/01/16 11:28:59
NYNM, I have had that one too, in Frederick, MD at the Bombay Grill. It was delicious! They offered it on their lunch buffet as dessert, and it was served ice cold. What a delicious ending to a spicy meal. Too bad they had such tiny dessert dishes, I must have looked like a pig when I went back three times...
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/01/26 04:55:26
I love Rice pudding. Thje best I've had is Roddity's restaurant in Chicago's Greektown.
mmh337
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/04/05 13:58:01
I too love rice pudding. Have you been to "rice to riches"? it's like an ice cream shop except with rice pudding. there are so many flavors it's delicious!
Big Butt BBQ
Junior Burger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/04/05 14:11:07
I was never a fan of rice pudding.Last week an elderly Italian woman gave my wife a container of rice pudding that was made with a quality vanilla ice cream and a small grain rice. Needless to say, I am now a fan of rice pudding.
Blower
Hamburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/04/05 15:20:59
quote:
Originally posted by shortchef

2 1/2 cups whole milk
1/3 cup raw rice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1/3 cup raisins

I always soak my rasins in brandy or spiced rum the night before
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/04/05 16:14:25
I'd forgotten the "flies" in rice pudding. My Father called them that, too. Also called chocolate jimmies on ice cream "ants." Didn't stop us from eating either, but I got my share of dirty looks when ordering.

Hadn't had, or thought about rice pudding in ages, and then a couple of years ago I ate at a Malaysian restaurant (now closed) in Quincy Market in Boston. A friend ordered the black rice dessert, which was truly delicious, a soft, sticky dark-colored spicy rice pudding.

Flash forward to this Christmas and one of my guests wanted to make a rice pudding recipe (which I think she got from the NY Times Sunday Mag). Seasoned with cardamom, and I believe containing coconut milk. Made it with long-grain white rice but it was almost the same as the black rice from the restaurant.
pcdiva
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/04/05 17:43:22
I put pineapple instead of rasins in my rice pudding if I feel a need for fruit. It's funny, I'm the only one in the family that likes rice pudding or tapioca pudding. Everyone else complains about the texture.

Nummy!

Alice
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/04/06 15:35:12
Never tried pineapple, Alice, but that sounds great. Next time I make it I'll use that. A variation of the recipe I posted was in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette food section yesterday. It's the only other one I ever saw that uses brown sugar and was contributed by a Portuguese chef. He says it's Portuguese style. His contained a little heavy cream along with the milk. One of my Indian friends told me she uses grated coconut in hers. That would be nice with the pineapple, wouldn't it?
fabulousoyster
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/06/30 13:32:05
If you love rice pudding, try making a Rice Kheer with almonds, pistachios and some cardamon. Its very delicious and smells wonderful.
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/06/30 18:56:46
sounds good to me, fabulousoyster. Got a recipe to share with me?
fabulousoyster
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/07/02 17:31:01
From Epicurious, this is a tried and true.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/109350

I like spice, so I use the pods and pistachio instead of cashews. There are many variations on Kheer.
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
RE: Anyone else love rice pudding? 2006/08/01 14:49:01
To all rice pudding lovers: Add losts of skinless, slivered almonds to your recipes. Crunchy and delicious. I use golden raisins sted of black ones. Dried cherries are good, too. Definitely soak them in rum or brandy overnight first! - Rusty