The "Double Good"

Author
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
2006/01/11 13:59:28 (permalink)

The "Double Good"

I have been looking for a recipe for a sandwich that I used to eat when I was a kid. To my knowledge the sandwich was never produced outside of the city of Meridian, MS. When I was a kid the place to get it was on the Frontage Rd across from the power station. There was a Shell station that had a snack bar that catered to truckers and folks. The man who ran it made a sandwich called the "Double Good". Now, as far as I can remember it was like a Chicken Fried Hamburger with cheese. A real artery stopper.
Long story short, the place closed down and in all my subsequent visits to Meridian over the decades no-one has offered the sandwich. I did run into a lady who ran a now defunct buffet who said she knew how to make them but she didn't have one on her menu so I took that with a chunk of salt. Anyone out there ever runa cross this one?

10 Replies Related Threads

mbrookes
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1355
    RE: The "Double Good" 2006/01/11 15:20:24 (permalink)
    Haven't run across one, but I would love to. That sounds good. Is "chicken fried hamburger" like chicken fried steak made with ground beef? Do you remember what else was on it?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3741
    RE: The "Double Good" 2006/01/11 15:55:56 (permalink)
    Chicken Fried Hamburger

Ingredients

1 lb. ground beef
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 c. flour
    1/4 c. oil
    salt and pepper to taste
    Method

Shape ground beef into flat patties; chill.
    Place milk and flour in 2 flat dishes slightly larger than patties.
    Place each hamburger patty in milk; turn over.
    Dip in flour.
    Place patties in hot skillet with oil; season.
    Cook on each side until crispy, flattening as patties cook.

HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 665
    RE: The "Double Good" 2006/01/11 16:02:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mbrookes

Haven't run across one, but I would love to. That sounds good. Is "chicken fried hamburger" like chicken fried steak made with ground beef? Do you remember what else was on it?

I agree. That sounds really good. I'd be curious as well what additional condiments were on it.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: The "Double Good" 2006/01/17 22:05:49 (permalink)
    All I ever remember them being served with was cheese and mayo, maybe the ocassional limp leaf of lettuce. A real artery clogger of a sandwich but worth every bite. Real old fashioned trucker food. I made some inquiries and there was a restaurant, The Red Hot in a Frontage road hotel that purported to sell them...of course after trying to call them the phone's disconnected, so I will hazard a guess that they're out of business.
    Guess, I'll have to take out an ad in their paper!

It's becoming a quest now!
    jimlong
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: The "Double Good" 2007/11/03 18:15:11 (permalink)
    Hey Root-Beer Man
    I grew up in Meridian and ate at least 100,000 Doublegoods, I think they originate at the Lamp Post Rest. on the frontage road or Gibson's drive in on C Street. Man...they were GREAT!!!!! If you find out how to make them...let me know. jimlong@cmaaccess.com
    Wistah
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: The "Double Good" 2007/11/03 18:40:57 (permalink)
    I googled and came up with this - not sure if there is any worthwhile info here but take a look...

http://community.cnhi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/21510935/m/998105122/p/192
    Bloozegal
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:The "Double Good" 2012/07/13 20:30:45 (permalink)
    hi lucky you, i know how to fix the double good, i worked at a resturant in meridian called the torch, I also ate them at the red hot and queen city truck stop. yes red hot was torn down i thought it moved somewhere else but guess not, queen city truck stop may be called something else now, was on interstate 20 as you go into meridian going east, anyway the way i was showed was
    veal cutlet
    battered and breaded the way you do fried chicken
    buns should be toasted, with mayo on both halves
    and you add veal cutlet, slice cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle,
    eat it up, yes its awesome love the double good, but i use musturd instead of mayo.
    been thinking about it lately and googled it and found this post
    wow huh!
    Wlstck
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:The "Double Good" 2013/05/08 02:47:34 (permalink)
    I remember this sandwich.  We ate it at the Lamp Post Drive Inn across from the Red Hot Truck Stop in Meridian, MS.  My mom always told me it was a deep fried veal cutlette.  It was the best.  I remember when I was 9 and in the hospital 50 years ago she went and got me one and brought it back to Rush's Hospital.

Wlstck
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:The "Double Good" 2013/05/08 02:50:49 (permalink)
    I remember it at the Lamp Post.  But you are right it was veal.  I had to ask my mother what veal was at the time I was so young.  I still crave this sandwich.  It had the crunchiest crust ever the meat so tender and oh so good.   I don't understand why it still isn't around. 
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:The "Double Good" 2013/05/12 17:12:09 (permalink)
    Wlstck

I remember it at the Lamp Post.  But you are right it was veal.  I had to ask my mother what veal was at the time I was so young.  I still crave this sandwich.  It had the crunchiest crust ever the meat so tender and oh so good.   I don't understand why it still isn't around. 

Too expensive?

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1