Too much lemon juice in Salsa

Junior Burger
2006/01/13 19:57:40
I made a salsa tonight and put a little too much lemon juice in it. I'm wondering if there is something I can add to take away from that taste a little bit. It's not too over powering but is a little much. Thanks for your help.

Kim
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/01/19 03:49:57
Sieve the salsa. If it's still too lemony add a little more onion and a touch of sugar. May I ask, why lemon instead of lime?
Oneiron339
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/01/19 07:21:47
Yeah, I always use lime juice. Less tart and adds more flavor to the other ingredients.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/01/19 07:49:45
Lemon juice, red wine vinegar and celery in a salsa recipe has me stop reading it.
Those small limes that a good Mexican grocery carry works well for me.
Even in Milwaukee, they sometimes go for 30 for a dollar; I stock up and freeze in my ice cube tray before transferring to a hd plastic freezer bag.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/01/23 18:52:52
It may be me, but that doesn't make a lick of sense MilwFoodlovers.

Belay that, I reread it and now it makes sense. I completely agree with you about red wine vinegar, or any vinegar for that matter, in a salsa.
AndreaB
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/02/06 08:05:24
Ack not lemon! Lime and fresh pressed garlic and cilantro No sugar either.

Andrea
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/02/06 09:55:50
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

It may be me, but that doesn't make a lick of sense MilwFoodlovers.

Belay that, I reread it and now it makes sense. I completely agree with you about red wine vinegar, or any vinegar for that matter, in a salsa.

Capt., I was taught in Az. to use regular vinegar as the acid for my batches.
Any citrus imparts it's own flavor, which isn't bad, but is added for those qualities.
A bigger question is Cilantro, Yes or No, in the salsa?
I'm in the YES category.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/02/10 01:47:52
Cilantro, always. REF: vinegar, it too imparts its own flavor, and I've never met a vinegar that I like, so it's verboten in my salsas. Plus, I can't see how it would add to the fresh taste of a just made salsa, vinegar essentially being something that's been allowed to go bad. Fresh lime in a salsa pops it, for want of a better term, and enhances the just picked freshness of the chiles, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/02/10 03:22:53
I like many different salsas. A resturant I used to go to in San Francisco was well-known for its green salsa (very heavy on the tomatillos and cilantro) and, I admit, it was addicting even though I'm not usually a cilantro fan. On the other hand, the place I currently favor, La Rondalla:

has a much more straight-forward salsa with big chunks of tomato and jalapenos (they seem to use both fresh ones and marinated--"en escabeche"--ones) and if there's lime in it, I can't taste it so I suspect they use vinegar. Also I can't taste much cilantro though it looks like there's some in there. Anyway, I usually polish off a big bowl of the stuff with their made-on-site chips. My point is simply that there are lots of ways to make salsa, many of them yummy. Most good Mexican cookbooks have multiple salsa recipes. Why do people have to argue there's only one "right" way when all they are really saying is there one way that they personally like best?

And just to emphasize the point that tastes vary (a lot), enginecaptain says he doesn't like vinegar. I love the stuff--often drink spoonfulls of it straight from the bottle and not just balsamic, but cider/wine/sherry vinegars also because he's right about it having its own flavor which I like. And it is NOT something "allowed to go bad"--the process of turning sugars into alcohol is really one of oxydation and further oxydation of alcohol produces an organic acid like vinegar (acetic acid). But the process can go wrong and produce off flavors and nasty chemicals (aldehydes etc) if not controlled every bit as much as the process of making wine.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/02/10 04:30:53
Take a swig of wine that's gone to vinegar and tell me that stuff didn't go bad.
Bla.
BT
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/02/10 12:42:17
That's because wine-going-bad is uncontrolled oxydation as opposed to the process of making fine vinegar. Ever try making your own wine when you didn't know what you were doing? That doesn't taste so great either.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/04/04 04:09:33
quote:

And just to emphasize the point that tastes vary (a lot), enginecaptain says he doesn't like vinegar. I love the stuff--often drink spoonfulls of it straight from the bottle and not just balsamic, but cider/wine/sherry vinegars also because he's right about it having its own flavor which I like.

beachykeen
Junior Burger
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/07/02 14:06:43
Lime, lime, lime, lime, ad infinitum
Don't forget the cilatro!
beachykeen
Junior Burger
RE: Too much lemon juice in Salsa 2006/07/02 14:09:00
Ooops-meant "Cilantro" not "Cilatro"