Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?"

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Filet Mignon
2003/06/04 13:39:05
OK, I know there are lotsa you Angelinos and ex-Angelinos (must show respect to the mayor) out there. And we're always looking for new places...let's dish.

I'll start us off with the Westside:

The Apple Pan...hickory burgers, steakburgers, pie, water served in paper cones..the "to go" guy throws the bags up in the air as he walks down the counter, and fills them up in a line as they all fall, open and upright...people standing around the U-shaped counter, breathing down your neck as they wait for your seat...Pico Blvd, West LA

Versailles...best Cuban in the world (OK, maybe outside of Cuba). Roasted chicken and pork, dripping with lime juice and garlic, best black beans anywhere. Order it to go on weekends to avoid the line...Venice Blvd West LA

Tia Juana...Shrimp al Mojo de Ajo, swimming in melted butter and garlic, home-made corn tortillas being patted into shape over an open brick oven...Carne asada, guacamole and Sopa de Albondigas...Olympic Blvd, West LA

Howard's Bacon and Avocado...best burgers around...Venice Blvd, West LA

Del Cor Pizza, not New York, but close...Venice boardwalk, Venice Bch

What else? Lucy's tacos, John O'Groats for breakfast, Johnnie's Pastrami french dip on Sepulveda, oh yeah, and who can forget SPUDNUTS?
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 14:13:37
OK Elise,
I am going to guess that underneath that career eater image there beats the heart of a true "Valley Girl"??? If so, then help this retired political hero remember the name of a place that had a great "Rib" reputation out in Thousand Oaks or Simi Valley...Somewhere near the 118 freeway. My Brother lived in Reseda for years and always promised we would head out to it, but got waylaid each time...
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 14:46:25
Ah yes, The Bear Pit. Great Roadfood-y ambiance, huge wooden tables, interesting folksy bear murals, very few people under 50. Big hunks of garlic bread dripping in butter, tender "Q", and it was literally just under the freeway. But every time we ate there my boyfriend got an awful headache...he suspects too much MSG in the sauce. We also like Dr. Hoggley Woggley's Tyler Texas BBQ's brisket, but it doesn't have good sides. Best place in the Valley is Mom's soul food.

As for the "Valley girl", I'm actually a beach girl but I get around...Born in Wilmington, raised in Redondo Beach. Since then I have lived in Gardena, Torrance, Culver City, Santa Monica, Northridge, Downtown LA Arts district, Reseda, Los Feliz, and now have settled in Burbank. And if I haven't lived somewhere, I've probably worked there, so maybe I am a "Career eater" (and according to the scale, I just got a raise!).
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 15:13:20
Leuzinger High(Lawndale)Class of '60. I understand the Where-of's that you describe. The High Desert was the stop for my last 14 years in SoCal.('86-'00)
Thanks for the Valley locations.
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 15:19:53
As a native Angelino (born at Cedars of Lebanon), I've got to join this coversation! I have fond memories of:

-The half-pound "burger royale" at Jan's coffee shop on 3rd Street near La Cienaga (still there).

-Ice cream at Clancy Muldoon's and Robin Rose (both, tragically, gone).

Am I the only person who remembers "Nate's Butter Churn" on Fairfax, just south of Olympic? He had a real butter churn in the window (it looked like a mini-concrete mixer), and you could buy slabs of FRESH butter!!! (That place closed many years ago ...)

I've lived all over the west side and in the south bay, but returned to the west side 'cause I had to be near a few good jewish delis!

jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 15:48:41
The Bear Pit has it's fans *and* detractors... personally I think their best food is the "GT" - the Garlic Toast, either used in the sandwich or with the Hungry Bear plate (two meats plus the little round fried taters and beans). At Dr. Hogly Wogly's Tyler Texas BBQ, similarly - the brisket is great!
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Ah yes, The Bear Pit. Great Roadfood-y ambiance, huge wooden tables, interesting folksy bear murals, very few people under 50. Big hunks of garlic bread dripping in butter, tender "Q", and it was literally just under the freeway. But every time we ate there my boyfriend got an awful headache...he suspects too much MSG in the sauce. We also like Dr. Hoggley Woggley's Tyler Texas BBQ's brisket, but it doesn't have good sides. Best place in the Valley is Mom's soul food.

As for the "Valley girl", I'm actually a beach girl but I get around...Born in Wilmington, raised in Redondo Beach. Since then I have lived in Gardena, Torrance, Culver City, Santa Monica, Northridge, Downtown LA Arts district, Reseda, Los Feliz, and now have settled in Burbank. And if I haven't lived somewhere, I've probably worked there, so maybe I am a "Career eater" (and according to the scale, I just got a raise!).
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 16:16:42
Oh, I forgot all about those trippy potato spheres, like little potato marbles! I've never seen those anywhere else.

So come on, Catosaurus, which delis are the best? I myself am a fan of Nate N' Al's on the westside. I am lucky enough to work a few blocks away from Langer's near Koreatown...if you call ahead they run your order out to you in your car. I wasn't much impressed by Canter's. I always felt sorry for those ancient waitresses, like, "Where are your kids? Why aren't they taking care of you?" I preferred Damiano's pizza across the street for late-night snacks.

And how about the Valley delis? I like Abe's and Art's. Jerry's deli, though good, is just too trendy and gimmicky for me.
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 17:12:43
How 'bout born at Little Company of Mary in Torrance, 'class' of '61? (And I thought we were 'Angelenos'....) I'm afraid that I have few memories of the west side OR the Valley* - once my dad decided we needed a little more space, we moved out to the Inland Empire's Bloomington [yes, Bloomington HS '79] from the South Bay, where he was a total local [Redondo-born; Redondo Union HS '43? & El Camino College '49?], but on trips out of our 'Podunk,' he took us kids mostly to Philippe's, across from Union Station & Olvera Street, Knott's Berry Farm for chicken dinners {"Yes, dad, we know it used to be a fruit stand - 'cause you already told us!"}, and to mostly not-ever-as-good-as-they-used-to-be places that he had to show us for culinary & historical comparisons' sake. The one place that seemed to be a constant for sweets (on our way home - unless dad was feeling a little flush, and up to the expense of getting enough for whoever we were visiting that trip) was a place called [if memory serves] 'Bake-Masters,' a bakery that had the most incredible cheesecake. Big honkin' sheets of it. (Like my fave pizzas, my fave cheesecakes were rectangular.) I don't even remember if they baked anything else - I mean, I'm sure they MUST have, but I don't remember anything else. The last time I was there - I believe in the Del Amo Mall/Fashion Center/Galeria/whatever - was probably in the early '80s. I don't s'pose anyone else remembers them - or knows if they still exist somewhere else, do you? I make myself cheesecakes from an old NYC recipe, but as good as they are, they still don't hold a candle to Bake-Masters.
Rocking myself rhythmically,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

*well, other than Canter's in recent times for loaves of marble rye [before returning to the Bay Area after road trips] & Tommy's runs [for chiliburgers & tamales] the year that I was a Bruin freshman...

P.S. I don't remember us going to Spudnuts anywheres, but I think we used to go to Randy's [I'm not sure that it was always Randy's] in Inglewood because dad used to work there (or maybe he just knew the owners).
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 17:39:43
Hey, R.B. Alba,
now it turns out you're a so-cal guy? I was wondering what SF/berkeley means? as one who has lived in the bay area,(and now lives in the rogue valley-called SF's northern most suburb), I asked several people about your latino-hispanic-mexican deal. Where have you lived beyond california? I'm interested because I've felt, ever since coming first to CA in 1982, that goldenStaters are californians first ...(fill in the blank) second. The thing about CA is that it seems to be a separate entity. It's a world unto itself. In short, I meant no harm by hispanic, because Latino would indicate carribean heritage to me. In Kansas,where I grew up, there were plenty of Mexicans, by way of Jalisco, but no one from carribean countries. But again , the east bay and SF don't like each other. what's up with that?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 18:07:25
Mayor-----you may be thinking of Maverick's just off the 118 in Simi Valley........not exceptional but good BBQ. There is also Wood Ranch BBQ which has now turned into a mini chain with a branch in Simi, Moorpark and Agoura. Best thing is their slow-roasted tritip and humongous combo plates. also their "steak soup". They are good-----but I still think Hogly Wogly's is worth the drive!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 19:04:29
Went to Fairfax a few weeks ago for deli-------the choices are very disappointing now. seems like most of the "real" delis are gone with only Canters-------too touristy! Ah, to still have the Stage, the Bagel or Dave's Cut-Rite Deli around! As another Cedars of Lebanon baby (boy has that area changed) I've found that eating has certainly changed over the years here. Very few of my old favorites are left.

EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 19:10:28
Elise.......try HavanaMania in Manhattan Beach on Inglewood Ave. It's owned by the son of the man who started Versailles. Every Monday he buys a whole dressed pig, marinates it all day and night in citrus juice, herbs and spices and then pit cooks it for 10 hours on tuesday. Tuesday night is Pig night--------the best roast cuban pork I've ever had. Try it!
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/04 20:25:04
quote:
Originally posted by bill voss

Hey, R.B. Alba,
now it turns out you're a so-cal guy? I was wondering what SF/berkeley means? as one who has lived in the bay area,(and now lives in the rogue valley-called SF's northern most suburb), I asked several people about your latino-hispanic-mexican deal. Where have you lived beyond california? I'm interested because I've felt, ever since coming first to CA in 1982, that goldenStaters are californians first ...(fill in the blank) second. The thing about CA is that it seems to be a separate entity. It's a world unto itself. In short, I meant no harm by hispanic, because Latino would indicate carribean heritage to me. In Kansas,where I grew up, there were plenty of Mexicans, by way of Jalisco, but no one from carribean countries. But again , the east bay and SF don't like each other. what's up with that?

Bill,
Let's see if I can cover all this in one reply:
1.) Yes, I'm SoCal born & raised - but I did live short stretches in both Pittsburg & Oakland as a toddler while my dad was working as a merchant seaman.

2.) 'Berkeley/SF' is abbreviation for where I am now - I sleep in Berkeley, but I'm socio-politically still a San Franciscan. I lived in S.F. for over a dozen years, but as the economy drove me out, it didn't necessarily have the same effect on my friends, professional colleagues, & other associations.

3.) I've only ever really lived in California - with different temporary stays elsewhere - but never a mailing address south of Redondo Beach, nor north of Davis. I have, however, spent the entirety of my conscious life thinking about, and discussing with others [especially with other Latinos], those labels that I use for myself, for my distant cousins, for those with whom I have a shared history. The one constant - it seems to escape the logic of non-members. No one ever seems to be intent on disparaging Latinos by using "Hispanic" - and yet they remain insistent that they are the final arbiter of usage for this label because its intent isn't derogatory. I've found numerous people, in my travels around the country, who have come to use "Hispanic" as a polite form for "Mexican" (parallel to using "Asian" for "Chinese"), regardless of whether those being described are Mexican or not. The chief problem seems to be the pathological need to have a single label to neatly distinguish a group that isn't monolithic. (Now, if you WERE talking about a more homogeneous/monolithic group, like Jalisienses [Mexicans from Jalisco] in Kansas, there's no point to calling them "Latinos" if you know they're all from Jalisco. But if you don't know that to be the case, "Latino" covers a lot of territory, and is seldom wrong.) In my own example, "Hispanic" isn't adequate to the task of describing me EXCEPT as a Census Bureau descriptor. Here are some of the labels [plural] that apply to me - and they aren't necessarily mutually-exclusive or -inclusive:

American - my nationality (my passport's marked 'U.S.A.')
Mexican-American - my cultural identifier
Spanish-speaker/English-speaker - my linguistic identifiers
Chicano - my ideological consciousness identifier
Latino - my broad-group cultural identifier

Identifiers for class, or gender, or orientation, or anything else, available on request

4.) Californians who have an active racial, ethnic, national, linguistic, cultural, or other, identities MAY consider themselves Californians second, rather than first; however, they mostly agree that the arrivistes who deliberately moved here are just tourists...;)

5.) The Battle of the Bay? The East Bay is unapologetic about being blue collar [and/or intellectual, in the Berkeley variation], San Francisco has been self-conscious about its rough origins since the days of the Gold Rush, when we needed an opera to class up the joint. S.F. has no good counter (as long as it ignores its own residents who are also blue collar) to the East Bay's criticisms that we are effete, so we focus our attention on L.A., an easy & distant, but oblivious, target. (Most Angelenos find S.F. just fine - quaint, even - but it's municipal sport here to bad-mouth L.A. It bugs us no end that people think of Hollywood & SoCal beaches first when they hear "California" rather than of the bridges & fog of S.F. And heaven help anyone who should presume to criticize S.F.!)

6.) When you say the "caribbean countries" - which ones do you mean? Just the ones where the local patois is English or English-based? I'm a Latino labor activist, and when I go to labor conferences, or any other community-focused events [even those outside my geographic community...], we typically have participants from all over the western hemisphere, including the Carribean, and no one seems to quarrel with the use of "Latino" - from Brazil, or Guatemala, or Trinidad, or Cuba, or even brothers & sisters from Haiti & the Dominican Republic! Would YOU say half that island is "Hispanic" and the other is not? {Could both sides be described as "Hispaniolic"?:)}

Now, I'm curious - what have you been told (& by whom) about the "latino-hispanic-mexican deal"? Any sage insights are deeply appreciated.

Is the mud any clearer yet? (maybe Venn diagrams next?)
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

P.S. Did we even mention 'taquitos' as some of L.A.'s classic "freeway food"? (There was a period in the '80s, as I recall, when the rage was to find the biggest bang for your buck - even bad guacamole-like green stuff was no barrier if you got more taquitos in your order....)
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/05 00:59:33
Ed Sails: Yeah, most of the real delis seem to be on the Westside, on Wilshire near Century City, and in the Valley these days. Next time you're around Fairfax, hit the old Farmer's Market on 3rd. Although that nightmare, "The Grove", is nearby, the Farmer's Market has some of the best food in LA. DuPar's pies, The Gumbo Pot's fantastic catfish sandwich with little slivers of lemon inside, you just can't go wrong. And thanks for turning me on to HavanaMania. My mom, who still lives in Redondo, refuses to go to the Versailles on Sepulveda because they use "too much garlic" (maybe I'm adopted). Maybe I can fake her out.

Richard: I forgot about Knott's Berry Farm's chicken, yum! And surprisingly, Olvera Street has gone from being a tourist trap to serving up some of the best Mexican food in LA. They also have wonderful cultural events...Las Posadas, and Ballet Folklorico...Re: cultural identifiers, etc. The Chicano Studies classes at CSUN, as I understand them, define "Hispanic" as a linguistic term simply meaning "Spanish speaker/speaking", "Latino" delineates Latin-Americans from say, Spaniards, and "Chicano" as a person of Mexican descent born in the United States. I myself, am a proponent of the right to self-identification and will refer to someone however they like (Though I still have a little problem calling my pal here on this board "Pigface")

Now, about those taquitos...that horrible green stuff was made with mayonnaise! Ugh! Chicken flautas have replaced taquitos in my heart. They are bigger, tastier, and more "fried". I like the ones at Las Fuentes on Vanowen in Reseda

Other favorite Mexican places while we're on the subject: El Indio Tortilla Factory on Artesia in Redondo Beach, and Las Hadas on Balboa in Northridge...

-Elise "Call me what you want, just don't call me late for dinner!" T.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/05 10:48:42
I can't believe it. I love Las Fuentes! I used to live in Reseda. Las Fuentes started as a truck stand. They had the best burritos-- shredded chicken, grilled peppers, and a lot of melted cheese. If you wanted sauce on it, it's called "gringo style." They also had grilled trout, which I've never seen in another restaurant. Horchata that tastes like rice pudding. My friends and I used to ditch Reseda High to eat there. I ate there about three times a week. That's one of the only places I miss. I live in Brooklyn-- a Mexican food wasteland.
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/05 13:36:32
Regarding westside delis, I'm partial to Factor's (on Pico Blvd, a few blocks east of Beverwil), and to Izzy's (on Wilshire & 15th) in Santa Monica. The pastrami at Langer's is GREAT, but I'm not in that neighborhood very often. I agree with everyone that Canter's is (and always has been) BAD deli food. I like the waitresses, though.

Junior's, on Westwood Blvd., has got the atmosphere, and their food is OK, but the prices always make me gasp.

Oh, and I've been loyal to the freshly baked bagels at Bagel Nosh (Wilshire and 17th) in Santa Monica for more than 20 years. For those who want to kvetch, I know they're not NY-style, but they are huge and delicious (particularly the cinnamon-raisin and the salt bagel).

When I used to live near Fairfax back in the late 1960s, I bought bread at Kaplan's bakery (long gone, too). Has anyone found decent bialy's in LA?
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/05 16:25:42
I second Izzy's and Factor's, both good places.

In the Valley, Brent's and Art's are both great, with Brent's having a definite edge.

I like Abe's in Northridge too, the food is always good, the staff very competent, (Mary's great) and they have later hours, usually not very busy at those hours. Late hours are a plus for me... Abe's and Izzy's are somewhat comparable.

I'd heard that Abe's brother is Solley, who at one point had three or four Valley delis... now there's only the Van Nuys Blvd. location that I know of - again, good food, not Brent's/Art's level though.

Jerry's is okay, kind of a zoo though, especially in Studio City (if it's reopened after their fire)...

I've been meaning to get to Weiler's Deli at their new location at Balboa and Nordhoff. A friend said they were okay, but Abe's was better.
quote:
Originally posted by catosaurus

Regarding westside delis, I'm partial to Factor's (on Pico Blvd, a few blocks east of Beverwil), and to Izzy's (on Wilshire & 15th) in Santa Monica. The pastrami at Langer's is GREAT, but I'm not in that neighborhood very often. I agree with everyone that Canter's is (and always has been) BAD deli food. I like the waitresses, though.

Junior's, on Westwood Blvd., has got the atmosphere, and their food is OK, but the prices always make me gasp.

Oh, and I've been loyal to the freshly baked bagels at Bagel Nosh (Wilshire and 17th) in Santa Monica for more than 20 years. For those who want to kvetch, I know they're not NY-style, but they are huge and delicious (particularly the cinnamon-raisin and the salt bagel).

When I used to live near Fairfax back in the late 1960s, I bought bread at Kaplan's bakery (long gone, too). Has anyone found decent bialy's in LA?
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/05 16:32:58
I remember Brent's having a great smoked fish platter.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/05 17:23:48
I have to say, I was not impressed with Weiler's. Can't say exactly what it was, just alot of little things. It was deserted instead of bustling, service was nonetheless slow and I just didn't feel comfortable there. I don't remember anything about the food or even what I ate, which says something in itself. There are too many other great delis in the Valley for me to bother trying Weiler's again.

*Izzy's knishes are fantastic!
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/05 17:35:26
I know two great Roadfood quality places. One is a place in Pasadena that locals call The Boat. However it's really called something else, maybe something like Galley. Across from the faux lodge Clearman's Northwoods Inn. This place is in the shape of a boat. Wood everything inside. Great chiliburgers, marinated red cabbage, cheese bread, and big goblets of beer. Another place is a steakhouse in San Dimas called Pinnacle Peak. Charbroiled steaks. Waiters and waitresses wear cowboy hats and western shirts. Ties hang from the wall. If someone wears a tie, they ring a cowbell and cut it off. Big bowl of ranch beans. Beautiful steak. Outside's a wagon. I remember loving to go there as a kid.
Although Brent's is pretty good, A Jewish deli shouldn't be named Brent's. So Valley.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/06 00:40:39
Ya know, I thought the same thing about Brent's, but held my tongue

OK, so I'll follow Goldsborscht and mosey on over to Pasadena. Burger Continental (on South Lake)...what can I say? Huge, juicy patties, comfortable patio, almost weirdly diverse menu, with lots of fun hustle and bustle...my fave pace in the 626! I will be working in Pasadena a few days this month, and I plan on trying Lucky Boy Drive In on Arroyo Parkway and Pie N' Burger on California Blvd. They look promising, anyone else familiar with them?
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/07 18:49:27
Elise,
You'll really like Havana Mania. They also have music a few nights a week--------really adds to the atmosphere. I like the gumbo Pot-----used to go there every week for oyster po' boys and gumbo. If you're down though in Redondo /Hermosa, try the Ragin' Cajun on Pier Ave. The owner is straight from LA----very likeable and makes great food. If you can, try them for breakfast too. Good choices, although as a purist I pass on the omlettes (which my guests have said are great) and I just get fresh made bengiets with their new Orleans coffee. Definitely an eye opener!

How about a good torta? I've had the ones at Casa Sanchez here in Long Beach----they are superb. Outside of that-----I tend to drive long distances for my favorite mariscos and ceviche (Tacos Jalisco in Oxnard) and of course there's nothing like a road(food) trip up to Santa barbara with lunch at La Super Rica. The tamale verduras with sqash, zucchini and white sauce is unbelievable and you can't go wrong with any of their grilled meats on those homemade tortillas. Any place closer to LA to find mexican food like this?
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/07 20:59:32
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Elise,
If you're down though in Redondo /Hermosa, try the Ragin' Cajun on Pier Ave. The owner is straight from LA----very likeable and makes great food. If you can, try them for breakfast too. Good choices, although as a purist I pass on the omlettes (which my guests have said are great) and I just get fresh made bengiets with their new Orleans coffee. Definitely an eye opener!

Yeah, I've been there a few times. Even though it's relatively new (early 90s), it beats that one 2 blocks down on Pier Ave. in the old "50s Cafe" building (On the corner of Manhattan?) Boogaloo cafe is way too trendy/nouvelle to be Roadfood, but they have good food and blues, interesting beer, and their key lime pie is so good I use their recipe now.

While we're in Hermosa Beach, the Backburner Cafe on Hermosa Ave and 14th for breakfast is a must...my favorite pancakes anywhere!

The Mexican restaurant a few doors down the lane from the Backburner on 14th, half a block off the strand (the name of which escapes me), is pretty good too. There used to be 3 or 4 Mexican restaurants in the South Bay all run by the same family that were great. At the one in Manhattan Beach, you got a free burrito if you ate enough chili peppers. Sadly, they are gone and there aren't that many good Mexican places around the beach anymore. I think it's a side effect of the gentrification of that area. Then there's always Rosa's on PCH. It's fried-taco-combination-plate-style American-Mexican, but comfortable and friendly. I have been going there since I was 13 and I'm 37 now, and they still have most of the same waiters! My brother called me from there on his cell phone the other day to tell me "Manuel wanted to say HI"

Bestie's pub, also off 14th (Yes, Hermosa's downtown is 3 blocks each way), has the best fish and chips outside of Santa Monica (Where the King's Head reigns supreme).

In general, downtown Hermosa has a pretty high restaurant turnover rate. Some other places that remain from my younger years are Good Stuff, Fat Face Fenner's and Hennessy's. But there have been some great additions, like Ragin Cajun, Boogaloo, El Pollo Inka (PCH and Aviation) and the Oceon Diner (Aviation between PCH and Prospect).
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/09 15:49:15
How about dimsum? I like both the cart-type places (my favorite is Great Seafood Palace in Artesia) or a plain bakery. There is a good one near Alpine and Broadway in Chinatown----can't remember the name though. South Bay has the Hong Kong Bakery at Vermont and Carson (right at the 110 fwy. exit. I'd like to find a few other choices-----of both types.
rmtnfoodie
Junior Burger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/09 17:33:28
Canter's is bad deli? Gasp?! I drooled on their bakery case last week on a visit to SoCal when we ordered a few things to go. I liked their macaroons and a few bites from their black and white were pretty good. My wife insists that both NY Deli News and DeliTech here in Denver have better, but I'm not so sure.

Anywho, I'm an ex-Angelino, born in South Bay '55. We also visted Randy's Donuts on this trip - excellent stuff and the locals milling around kept us yammering and the kids laughing while we scarfed in the car (we were making up conversations for them while we watched them order). BTW - Apple Pan is always closed on Monday's, so each of the last two trips we've been unable to go since we were passing that way on a Monday. Anyone interested in Fajita's as far north as Bakersfield? Had good stuff there too at a place deep in the 'barrio'.

RT
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 00:19:07
I'm embarrassed to say it, but I think Canter's has the best knishes. Maybe it's because I grew up with them. Yonah Schimmel's on Houston on the Lower East Side is great, with it's dumb waiter and all. It sort of has been sucked up by the new HoJo's hotel. But the potato knish at Canter's is beautiful. I think it's the dough.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 05:03:44
quote:

How about dimsum? I like both the cart-type places (my favorite is Great Seafood Palace in Artesia) or a plain bakery. There is a good one near Alpine and Broadway in Chinatown----can't remember the name though. South Bay has the Hong Kong Bakery at Vermont and Carson (right at the 110 fwy. exit. I'd like to find a few other choices-----of both types.

I'm not sure of the cross streets in Chinatown, but Ocean Seafood is my favorite. Most people prefer Empress pavilion, which is fancier and has a bigger selection, but Ocean Seafood has an incredible Soy Sauce Chicken that keeps me coming back.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 05:10:21
quote:
Originally posted by rmtnfoodie

Canter's is bad deli? Gasp?! I drooled on their bakery case last week on a visit to SoCal when we ordered a few things to go. I liked their macaroons and a few bites from their black and white were pretty good. My wife insists that both NY Deli News and DeliTech here in Denver have better, but I'm not so sure.

RT

Actually, I like Canter's baked goods, and I love getting Halvah carved off that huge block. But for something like a pastrami sandwich, a place like Langer's blows them away. Canter's also has problems with service (I've often been served food the wrong temperature) and quality (Last visit, I was served a fruit salad that had fermented so much it smelled like beer).
rmtnfoodie
Junior Burger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 11:06:00
quote:

quote:

RT

Actually, I like Canter's baked goods, and I love getting Halvah carved off that huge block. But for something like a pastrami sandwich, a place like Langer's blows them away. Canter's also has problems with service (I've often been served food the wrong temperature) and quality (Last visit, I was served a fruit salad that had fermented so much it smelled like beer).

Wow - I wouldn't have expected that. We'll have to look up Langer's next time. The more I thought about it, what stunned me about their baked goods was the display - we've got nothing here like the breadth of goods that Canter's had. I was so shocked, I didn't know what to order, and that's usually not a problem with me! rt
rmtnfoodie
Junior Burger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 11:20:15
quote:

quote:

Elise,
If you're down though in Redondo /Hermosa, try the Ragin' Cajun on Pier Ave. The owner is straight from LA----very likeable and makes great food. If you can, try them for breakfast too. Good choices, although as a purist I pass on the omlettes (which my guests have said are great) and I just get fresh made bengiets with their new Orleans coffee. Definitely an eye opener!

Yeah, I've been there a few times. Even though it's relatively new (early 90s), it beats that one 2 blocks down on Pier Ave. in the old "50s Cafe" building (On the corner of Manhattan?) Boogaloo cafe is way too trendy/nouvelle to be Roadfood, but they have good food and blues, interesting beer, and their key lime pie is so good I use their recipe now.

While we're in Hermosa Beach, the Backburner Cafe on Hermosa Ave and 14th for breakfast is a must...my favorite pancakes anywhere!

The Mexican restaurant a few doors down the lane from the Backburner on 14th, half a block off the strand (the name of which escapes me), is pretty good too. There used to be 3 or 4 Mexican restaurants in the South Bay all run by the same family that were great. At the one in Manhattan Beach, you got a free burrito if you ate enough chili peppers. Sadly, they are gone and there aren't that many good Mexican places around the beach anymore. I think it's a side effect of the gentrification of that area. Then there's always Rosa's on PCH. It's fried-taco-combination-plate-style American-Mexican, but comfortable and friendly. I have been going there since I was 13 and I'm 37 now, and they still have most of the same waiters! My brother called me from there on his cell phone the other day to tell me "Manuel wanted to say HI"

Bestie's pub, also off 14th (Yes, Hermosa's downtown is 3 blocks each way), has the best fish and chips outside of Santa Monica (Where the King's Head reigns supreme).

In general, downtown Hermosa has a pretty high restaurant turnover rate. Some other places that remain from my younger years are Good Stuff, Fat Face Fenner's and Hennessy's. But there have been some great additions, like Ragin Cajun, Boogaloo, El Pollo Inka (PCH and Aviation) and the Oceon Diner (Aviation between PCH and Prospect).

Some of these names bring back memories - more of the environment, not so much of dining experiences. I was born and raised in Manhattan Beach, and was AHS class of '73. Sounds like you may have roamed the same turf around the same era? Kinda of odd that I don't think about eating in the South Bay when we visit, but I'm not too keen on the bar & grill scene. Mebbe I need to drop my prejudice? rt
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 13:20:56
REmember the name of the bookstore on Pier Ave. near Manhattan Av? The one that was a definite counterculture place in the 60's and 70's?
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 14:10:04
I graduated (Bishop Montgomery) high school in 1984, so looks like I'm the young pup of the group thus far. I loved Either or Bookstore. Sadly, it is gone. The South bay is not a great dining mecca like New Orleans or Memphis, but you can certainly do better than the bar and grille scene. Try some of the places mentioned here, and let us know what you think.

Does anyone have good suggestions for downtown and the eastside? What do you think of the Pantry? Tacos Michoacan? The Dresden Room? or Roscoes, Zankou Chicken and Musso and Frank's in Hollywood?
rmtnfoodie
Junior Burger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 16:27:09
quote:

I graduated (Bishop Montgomery) high school in 1984, so looks like I'm the young pup of the group thus far. I loved Either or Bookstore. Sadly, it is gone. The South bay is not a great dining mecca like New Orleans or Memphis, but you can certainly do better than the bar and grille scene. Try some of the places mentioned here, and let us know what you think.

Does anyone have good suggestions for downtown and the eastside? What do you think of the Pantry? Tacos Michoacan? The Dresden Room? or Roscoes, Zankou Chicken and Musso and Frank's in Hollywood?

Definitely will refer to the forums before we go again - I might be back in the fall for a quick visit. rt
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/10 18:29:29
Since "Either Or" bookstore closed a few years ago, I now refer to the building it once occupied as "Neither Nor".

Where South Bay food is concerned, I'm still loyal to The Kettle coffee shop (corner of Highland and Manhattan Beach Blvd). I think their quality and portions can't be beat.

For truly awesome baked goods, though, travel north to Santa Monica and try Babalu (corner of Montana Ave. and 10th Street). Their menu food is pretty good, too, but it's those desserts that call me back.
rmtnfoodie
Junior Burger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 10:03:27
catosaurus - Thanks for mentioning The Kettle! It seems that we do have 'road food tastes' when it comes to the South Bay : We ate there last week when I met up with a cousin, and it was good. I had the Chnese chicken salad and it was fresh, tasty and had the right amount of dressing. I liked their varied menu - seems like they touch a few ethnic bases.

My Dad always used to go there until a few years ago when they "changed management". Not sure if it was the restaurant or my dad's preferences that changed, but it still seems like a social center of MB. Side note : we had origianlly set out for the Chipotle up the street a few blocks. We ate there last year, but it is now closed. Seems odd that downtown MB couldn't keep a place like that open. Blame it on the economy! rt
rmtnfoodie
Junior Burger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 10:07:42
New question - Does anyone remember Hoddy's (spelling) a drive up/ car service hamburger joint on/near Slauson/La Tijera (Baldwin Hills)? We often stopped there when we drove into Los Angeles. They had distinct yellow/cornflour mix hamburger buns, and pretty decent size portions (a standard in the 60's). rt
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 12:33:26
I had to stop going to the Kettle as a teenager as a result of a "misunderstanding" between a certain waitress there regarding me and her boyfriend. So I got hooked on Uncle Bill's Pancake House on Highland in Manhattan Bch. Speaking of Uncles, Unky Roy's on Beryl in Redondo has a mighty fine breakfast as well.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 12:54:29
I was a little disappointed in Roscoes. Chicken was juicy enough, but potatoes were undistinguished-------gravy seemed like it was out of a can and the waffle was----just a plain old waffle. Nothing exciting about the batter for the chicken either. My other disappointment was going there with kids------I could not believe a restaurant like that could not have a few "kids meals" instead of making you purchase a full adult meal for an 8 year old. when a lot of the new "upscale trendy" restaurants are now doing kids meals even it's amazing that a place that is popular with families would not have anything for them.
rmtnfoodie
Junior Burger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 14:14:49
I remember Uncle Bill's - crowds of folks every weekend. When any of us would be driving around looking for a tennis court, a bunch of sleepyheads would be gathering, looking like they needed coffee stat!

rt
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 17:39:32
quote:

catosaurus - Thanks for mentioning The Kettle! It seems that we do have 'road food tastes' when it comes to the South Bay : We ate there last week when I met up with a cousin, and it was good. I had the Chnese chicken salad and it was fresh, tasty and had the right amount of dressing. I liked their varied menu - seems like they touch a few ethnic bases.

My Dad always used to go there until a few years ago when they "changed management". Not sure if it was the restaurant or my dad's preferences that changed, but it still seems like a social center of MB. Side note : we had origianlly set out for the Chipotle up the street a few blocks. We ate there last year, but it is now closed. Seems odd that downtown MB couldn't keep a place like that open. Blame it on the economy! rt

The Chipotle chain is owned by McDonald's (I was surprised, too -- read about it in the New Yorker, of all places)! There's another Chipotle in Hawthorne on Rosecrans Ave. just west of the 405.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 19:46:08
There's this Italian restaurant across From Farmer's Market called Andre's. It's in that Kmart shopping mall (once Zody's), in this tunnel that leads to the back. No one seems to have heard of it, yet it's always packed. A yogi Berra conundrum. All the food's in these big dishes at the counter. You can get spaghetti and ravioli (half and half), chicken cacciatori, lasagne, and either meat sauce or mushroom sauce. All dishes are around $5. They make everything there. You can see the huge pasta machine next door. I love the place. Used to eat there since I was a kid. Only old Jewish people used to eat there. Now it's a mix of old Jews and Hispanic immigrants. The salad dressing is memorable, too-- a mix of I assume 1,000 island and Italian. Better than it sounds. They sell it by the can. Definitely worth the visit. P.S. Representing Reseda HS graduating class of 1988. Keeping it real.
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 20:19:58
Aha! That's why the Boston Market at Topanga Canyon and Ventura in Woodland Hills became a Chipotle... both owned by McD's.
quote:
Originally posted by catosaurus

quote:

The Chipotle chain is owned by McDonald's (I was surprised, too -- read about it in the New Yorker, of all places)! There's another Chipotle in Hawthorne on Rosecrans Ave. just west of the 405.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 20:37:20
Don't know if L A food reaches out as far as Bakersfield...but what the heck, from here they look close together()
Try HODEL's Buffet just off the 99 on the north side of town..at the Olive St exit I believe. Lots of home-cooked items including some really good braised short ribs in gravy! Open Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. Lower Moderate Price range.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 21:39:40
If you go about 45 minutes east of LA to Chino (yeah, Chino) there's a few places of note. A Basque restaurant named Centro Basco. They have a handball wall outside and play heated games on the weekend. They serve something like 5 course meals. There's also Furr's Cafeteria. I know there's others, but this one is the bomb. Very good chicken fried steak with white gravy and all the fixin's. It was my introduction to CFS and I've been enamored since. Furr's is cafeteria style with lots of choices. If you've never been to Chino it's worth the trip. It smells like cows. Feels like the Texas plains. Great swap meet with a livestock and antiques auction every Tuesday and Sunday. It's weird to think such an area exists so close to LA. Cowboy boots worn by real cowboys.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 23:28:10
quote:

I was a little disappointed in Roscoes. Chicken was juicy enough, but potatoes were undistinguished-------gravy seemed like it was out of a can and the waffle was----just a plain old waffle. Nothing exciting about the batter for the chicken either. My other disappointment was going there with kids------I could not believe a restaurant like that could not have a few "kids meals" instead of making you purchase a full adult meal for an 8 year old. when a lot of the new "upscale trendy" restaurants are now doing kids meals even it's amazing that a place that is popular with families would not have anything for them.

My nephews always split a meal between them, but with one kid I can see the challenge. I myself love their waffles, light and fluffy, tasting of buttermilk and nutmeg. But I never eat anything else there, just the Scoe's Special...chicken and a waffle.

For soul food I prefer heading down to South Central, a place like M&Ms on Crenshaw and Martin Luther King Blvd. or Bertha's (1714 West Century...closed Tuesdays).

Have you tried Dinah's fried chicken? There is one on the Westside and one in Glendale. Or can you recommend any other good chicken joints in town?
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/11 23:32:11
quote:
Originally posted by goldsborscht

There's this Italian restaurant across From Farmer's Market called Andre's. It's in that Kmart shopping mall (once Zody's), in this tunnel that leads to the back. No one seems to have heard of it, yet it's always packed. A yogi Berra conundrum. All the food's in these big dishes at the counter. You can get spaghetti and ravioli (half and half), chicken cacciatori, lasagne, and either meat sauce or mushroom sauce. All dishes are around $5. They make everything there. You can see the huge pasta machine next door. I love the place. Used to eat there since I was a kid. Only old Jewish people used to eat there. Now it's a mix of old Jews and Hispanic immigrants. The salad dressing is memorable, too-- a mix of I assume 1,000 island and Italian. Better than it sounds. They sell it by the can. Definitely worth the visit. P.S. Representing Reseda HS graduating class of 1988. Keeping it real.

Darn, someone here is younger than me! Andre's sounds great, can't wait to try it! I lived in Reseda for awhile and there was a good BBQ place on Reseda near Valerio, a little drive-thru shack, but sadly it's gone now.
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/12 12:39:28
I've been to the Dinah's on Sepulveda near Jefferson... couple of years ago now, but we liked the chicken.

My daughter graduated from Reseda HS in 2000 and I know one of the Asst. Principals (his kid goes to middle school with my youngest). Good school.

Ever try the Firehouse (I think that's the name - red theme - serves Gyros etc.) on Victory near Reseda? Always wondered if it was any good...

The Athenian Grill on Reseda is supposed to be great, always a favorite for the RHS kids...
quote:

quote:

My nephews always split a meal between them, but with one kid I can see the challenge. I myself love their waffles, light and fluffy, tasting of buttermilk and nutmeg. But I never eat anything else there, just the Scoe's Special...chicken and a waffle.

For soul food I prefer heading down to South Central, a place like M&Ms on Crenshaw and Martin Luther King Blvd. or Bertha's (1714 West Century...closed Tuesdays).

Have you tried Dinah's fried chicken? There is one on the Westside and one in Glendale. Or can you recommend any other good chicken joints in town?
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/12 13:36:32
My co-worker, raised in Bakersfield, seconds your motion whole-heartedly.

How come no one has mentioned the Original Pantry? http://www.hollyeats.com/OrigPantry.htm Downtown, 8th and Figueroa - 24 hours a day, no locks on the doors, never closed and never without a customer (is that still true? I thought I remembered they had a temporary closing a while back). Steaks, steaks, and lamb chops (for you vegetarians :)) - great breakfasts, sour dough bread and cole slaw when you sit down.

Been around for what, 70 years? - now owned by ex-mayor Riordan, who bought it from the ailing owner and as far as I know, never changed a thing (except he opened an annex, wasn't the same somehow).
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Don't know if L A food reaches out as far as Bakersfield...but what the heck, from here they look close together()
Try HODEL's Buffet just off the 99 on the north side of town..at the Olive St exit I believe. Lots of home-cooked items including some really good braised short ribs in gravy! Open Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. Lower Moderate Price range.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/12 16:11:38
Tried M&M Soul Food on Centinela for the first time last week. It was delicious------had the short ribs, collard greens and their fantastic mac and cheese. Dinah's has been there forever-----used to go as a tyke growing up in Westchester. Chicken has always been good there.
Andre's has been another good place I grew up with. Yes, it's really tucked back there. The food is good and extremely reasonable. When I worked in that area I'd go there at least once a week. The felafel place next to it used to be very good too.
goldsborscht
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/12 16:57:32
I used to love the Pantry. Before a Dodger game I'd go to Philippe's, and after Pantry. Their hash browns were heavenly. However I saw a couple roaches but let it slide. Then the health code violations. Still I went back. But on a trip back to LA, 1st thing I did was stop for breakfast at the Pantry. I got violently ill after a half an hour. On top of that, I couldn't find a bathroom downtown. It's a shame, too. I loved the lamb chops, the waiters, the mugs, the whole thing. But it's not what it used to be.
It's cool someone knows Andre's. It's really a place you want others to try. As far as Firehouse in Reseda, forget about it. It sucks. Listen to Elise-- Las Fuentes is the way to go. I forgot what street it's on. Vanowen? The worst thing for a kick ass hole in the wall to do is expand. It dilutes the product and loses it's charm. Las Fuentes opened a burger place around the corner and it was awful. But stick to the Mexican place. The burrito of choice's name is burrito de pollo con rajas. There was a soul food restaurant in the Valley called Angelina's. It wasn't too bad. A little too clean. Maybe by now it's more worn. It's a fine line between dirty and homey. Anyways, Angelina's was on Sepulveda and Ventura, south of what was once the Galleria. I wonder if it still exists.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/16 13:41:01
You know, every once in a while I have to go to Mrs. Knott's Restaurant for the chicken (or for my other weakness, chicken fried steak). They do have excellent fried chicken---I think it's well worth going to Buena Park for it. I drive over there occasionally for dinner ----it's even nice to get the chicken as carryout and picnic under the roller-coaster. It's especially nice since you don't have to go into the park to enjoy the restaurant. And they have good rhubarb appetizer. Don't forget the boysenberry pie!
Willly
Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/16 14:32:23
It's been years since I've been to the Pantry -- I'm sorry to hear it's gone downhill. My favorite was the sourdough toast fried in bacon fat.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/16 16:31:40
So...full...can...barely...type...

I just got back from lunch at Lucky Boy's on Arroyo Parkway in Pasadena. The building looks nondescript, like any Brolly Hut type burger place. The menu had burgers, pastrami, gyros and burritos, which made me nervous. Too much diversification on the menu is usually a bad sign. But then I saw they had cherry milkshakes and sodas (not cherry coke, bright red cherry soda). Now, I'm a sucker for new milkshake flavors. So I got a double cheeseburger and the shake. The fries looked big and hearty, but a girl's gotta watch her figure. While I waited, peering into the kitchen, flames soared 3 feet above the grill. The burger was much heavier than I expected...wow...crunchy flame-broiled exterior, American cheese flecked with black bits off the patty. I could only eat half of it, which is unusual. The cherry milkshake was subtle, I could have gone for more intense maraschino flavor. I guess Pasadena is a great untapped resource. I also noticed a place on the way here called Top o' the Hat pastrami that had Roadfood written all over it. Guess I'm a lucky girl.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/16 17:37:52
pastrami.....yum.........don't know about "Top of the Hat', but when I get a craving I search out a small chain called "The Hat". Think they have 4 or 5 places from Simi to Anaheim etc. Really good Pastrami Dip------BBQ Beef is ok. I could barely finish the pastrami last time I was there. Good portions given.
jeffskal
Hamburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/16 22:17:11
I Second The Hat in Alhambra or on No. Lake in Pasadena - okay, it's not Langer's but Pastrami dip and fries were good when I went there last. Just about a block or two north of the 210 on Lake, Elise!
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/06/17 01:03:57
OK, how sleepy was I this morning? That's exactly where I was...on North Lake...I wonder where I got the "top" part from? I thought Top of the Hat sounded like a goofy name.

Usually I go to Johnny's Pastrami on West Adams, a block East of Crenshaw, just off the 10 freeway. It's an "exciting" neighborhood best visited during daytime hours unless you're a badass. It's a walk-up stand with friendly girls serving up pastrami piled high on perfectly chewy rolls with pickles.

This is not to be confused with Johnnie's French Dip Pastrami on Sepulveda near Venice Blvd. Also a good nosh, but not the same.

One note on that cherry shake...it was not super creamy and amazing, so I left it half-full in my car. When I returned hours later I looked to see if it was melty-ice-cream-looking. It was still all frothy whipped-gelatin-or-whatever they-put-in shakes-that-is-not-pure-ice-cream-and-milk-looking.
cacrider
Junior Burger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/07/02 22:01:37
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

OK; let's see if i get it right this time!
If you're in Bako, don't miss the Basque food. If you have time, stop at noon or 7 (check times) at Pyrennees; if you don't, stop at the normal foodie times at Wool Growers (both it and Pyrennees are in Old Town Kern, E of 99, on or near 19th and Baker), or at Benji's, just off 99 (get off at Rosedale Hwy/24th st and go W on Rosedale; it's on the left (S) side on corner in a block or so. Great value, loads of wonderful food. Personally, I think the French Fries at Woolgrowers are to die for (and, given my HDL, I may! =:O )
Hoping this goes through,
cacrider the clutz
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/07/02 22:07:50
Hey, Third time is the one that works, for sure!! Welcome to the Boards!!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/07/03 14:03:18
I remember going about 3 years ago to B-Town for a weekend. I tried Woolgrowers and was blown away by my meal. I seem to recall the soup as being exceptionally good. I must get up there again!
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Los Angeles..."Freeway Food?" 2003/07/03 14:22:50
Hey, RMTNFOODIE

Does that stand for Rocky Mountain Foodie? Are you down Denver way? I'm in Lafayette, but my boyfriend lives in Aurora, so I eat down there a lot. I love the diversity -- Lafayette, Louisville and Boulder (where I grew up) are so white bread.

Have you been to the Bagel Deli, as well, on Hampden?
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2