upside down plants

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
  • Reward points : 0
upside down plants - Fri, 01/20/06 5:57 PM
Does anyone have experince with growing tomatoes from the bottum of hanging containers? I've tried it a couple times with mixed results. Not needing to stake is a big plus but having to continually raise the container is a hassle, 8foot of plant, 2foot of bucket a foot of hanging chain and your 11 feet in the air!! Maybe pruning the top (bottum?) of the plant?? Perhaps a bush variaty....

shortchef
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: upside down plants - Fri, 01/27/06 10:54 AM
I haven't had any experience with this, but at least two of the seed/plant catalogs I received within the last two weeks have holders , like big plastic bags, for growing tomatoes like that. They grow up instead of down and can be put on a pole so they don't take up so much room. I'm thinking of trying one. I think the one catalog was called "Gardens Alive." Maybe we can compare notes this summer after we see how it works out. Good luck to you from a fellow gardener.

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: upside down plants - Fri, 01/27/06 11:56 AM
Try finding a 'determinate' variety, where they specify the length the plant will grow. 'Indeterminate' varietys can grow any length the feel like, with no set pattern.. Example of a plant to try would be Bush Early Girl Hybrid, which is a compact determinate. Otherwise try growing cherry tomatoes and clip the ends when they get too long... (stick the cut ends in water and they'll root)..

Check www.tomatogrowers.com for varieties, or to request on of their free catalogs..