To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN!

Junior Burger
2006/01/21 17:36:00
I've read this site for some time and I'd like to add a local favorite that is worth a sidetrip if you are a visitor to the Philadelphia area, or the near Philly 'burbs. There is a small restaurant / bar on Darby Rd. in Havertown called "The LampLighter".
They make an incredible "Baked Italian Soup" which is a baked crock, similar to the type encountered with Onion soups, but filled with a luscious tomato soup, gooey cheese, and wonderful chunks of pepperoni!
To say that it's "Pizza in a crock" does it vast disservice! It's better than the various efforts to blend pizza (a bad idea! Blenders and real pizza!)and is so tasty that you'll find yourself periodially needing a "fix". To me, that's the hallmark of a true "Roadfood Find" and why I am posting this entry. If you live nearby, and you've never tried this original concotion, then DO stop in, mention that you read about it on Roadfood.Com, and dig in!!!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/21 18:22:41
It sounded really interesting till you got to the part about pepperoni.
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/21 19:27:56
Great review! If I were within driving distance, I would be there. Please post more finds.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/21 20:16:33
Try to get the recipe for us!!! And OF COURSE, welcome to RoadFood!
jellybear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/22 09:15:07
That would be hard to beat Italian Wedding Soup.
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/22 09:37:15
That sounds tasty. Send me some. That's an order.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/22 10:31:19
How late are they open. I'm just going to grab my hat and coat can make Philly in about 6 hrs. Chow Jim
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/22 10:47:12
Hmmmm.

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
2 onions, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
4 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
1 pound sliced (or cubed) pepperoni sausage
2 cups beef stock
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir-fry onions, mushrooms, and green pepper until soft but not brown.
Add tomatoes, stock, pepperoni ,and basil. Cook until heated through.
Sprinkle cheese over each bowl, andbroil to melt.

Approx. 8 servings.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/22 13:11:17
Adjudicator---my sister in law got me an apron for Christmas that may be appropratly quoted here----"I dont need a recipe--I'm Italian!"
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/22 13:20:30
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Adjudicator---my sister in law got me an apron for Christmas that may be appropratly quoted here----"I dont need a recipe--I'm Italian!"

Well, I am Scottish by heritage. That does NOT mean I like that stuffed stomach stuff

1 sheep's pluck (stomach bag)

2 lb.. dry oatmeal

1 lb. suet

1 lb. lamb's liver

2 1/2 cups stock

1 large chopped onion

1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, Jamaica pepper and salt

Boil liver and parboil the onion, then mince them together. Lightly brown the oatmeal. Mix all ingredients together. Fill the sheep's pluck with the mixture pressing it down to remove all the air, and sew up securely. Prick the haggis in several places so that it does not burst. Place haggis in boiling water and boil slowly for 4-5 hours. Serves approximately 12.

Maddog
Junior Burger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/23 12:02:49
Dear Adjudicator:

Thanks for the support.(No idea if your recipe would replicate it, not sure they'd share the menu. Call and ask. "The Lamplighter" in Havertown, PA. Area code 610. I'm sure it's listed.)

Dear Mr. Wandering...no ad. Honest! I'm a salesguy who spends a LOT of time eating "roadfood" in places from Cleveland, to Long Island, and down South as far as NC. It's just that last Friday night, I stopped into the Lamplighter (not even a place where I am known for my prodigious thirst for Ireland's Finest, Johhny J.) and it occurred to me that THIS menu item might be well worthy of some props on this site. It's an original in that I haven't encountered it anywhere else, and I love it enough, that truth be told, I haven't even bothered to try anything else on the menu. I take these recommedations seriously, and wouldn't shill for anyone for any reason. If this site became populated with BS props, then it would lose it's credibility and I'd stop reading it. Like I said in my posting...I've been reading for sometime here...I have simply never posted.

And, M. Hoffman, I can tell you that the pepperoni absoultely ADDS to the effect, unless you have an aversion to it. I'm sure they'd leave it out of the crock on request, but to me, it wouldn't be the same.

As for Jimeats, well, Buddy...I LOVE this site for the "Finds" that I have personally checked out, and usually found to be sound recommendations...but there's not much in the way of food that would compel a six hr. drive for me unless I was going to be in that area for some other reason anyway. That's what I like about this site. I can see what the buzz is in every area I visit on business.

Thanks to all for the responses and the "WELCOME". Trust me, I'm not new here....But I only registered last week so that I could post.
If I DO think other places that I visit worthy of a mention, you can be assured that I'll be posting ONLY because the purveyor is somehow unique and worth a visit.

Some places that were specifically recommended by ROADFOOD enthusiasts, and which I have visited as a consequence are:

"Grays Papaya" in Manhattan - (Hot dogs. GREAT!)
"Di Fara's Pizza" - Brooklyn - (Unreal Pizza...but a filthy place and one man service operation... def. worth trying ONCE. Too slow for a second visit.)
"Primanti Brothers" in Pittsburgh. A true original. Worth every penny. Cheap, plentiful, tasty and understandable as a cult fav.

I grew up loving White Castle's (Don't know if that disqualifies my tastebuds from further serious discussions), The Hot Grill and Rut's Hutt, in Clifton, NJ. (Both cult followings and worthy of such),
and the original "Falls' View Grill" (NOT the present chain, but the actual place at the site of the Paterson Falls.)

Pizza rules (thin crust only!) kielbasa and kraut on a roll with mustard is a guilty passion, and roast beef (heroes/subs in NY, Hoagies down here in Philly) should ALWAYS be bloody rare! And oh yes...the NC barbeque is BEST in the eastern part of the state where the sauce has never been introduced to the tomato. There...that's a pretty good overview of my tastes in "Road Food".

-Maddog

Maddog
Junior Burger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/23 13:34:58
Then save the rush to "Brown's Bakery" on Front street in Marietta, OH. For some reason, people in northern WV, SW PA, and parts of Eastern OH have a fetish for "pepperoni rolls". Just like pepperoni bread, only roll size. Some with cheddar, some without.They eat them for BREAKFAST, thus assuring a steady business for people selling antacids in that area. Brown's seems to be the best local version of that particular product, but I'm sure that there are other excellent bakery versions. I know this because my customers disdain doughnuts, and prefer that if I am going to bring something into a meeting, it's a dozen pepperoni rolls.
Williamsburger
Cheeseburger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/23 13:49:11
quote:
Originally posted by Maddog

Then save the rush to "Brown's Bakery" on Front street in Marietta, OH.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the bakery on Front St. in Marietta known (for the last 60 years) as "Brownie's" is no more. After surviving the two major flood through the region last year, it burned. And they have no plans to try to reopen.

I'm very depressed.
Even more so when creeping into town after a late visit with the in-laws and really wanting something sweet. An all night bakery! boohoo!

Cathy
Maddog
Junior Burger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/23 15:35:59
Forgot-

Cathy..thanks for the update. Yes...Brownie's it was! I did know that the flood shut it down...sorry to hear it's gone for good. It was a great bakery and nice people there. Guess I'll be buying my pepperoni rolls in Belpre now.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/23 17:02:59
quote:

Then save the rush to "Brown's Bakery" on Front street in Marietta, OH. For some reason, people in northern WV, SW PA, and parts of Eastern OH have a fetish for "pepperoni rolls". Just like pepperoni bread, only roll size. Some with cheddar, some without.They eat them for BREAKFAST, thus assuring a steady business for people selling antacids in that area. Brown's seems to be the best local version of that particular product, but I'm sure that there are other excellent bakery versions. I know this because my customers disdain doughnuts, and prefer that if I am going to bring something into a meeting, it's a dozen pepperoni rolls.

I understand the pepperoni roll originated in Clarksburg, West Virginia. Or was it Fairmont, West Virginia? I've never had one.
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/23 20:31:17
Maddog I enjoyed your post sounds like a great spot. Please keep us informed on other worthy places. By the way you have great taste in beverages also. My prefrence in Irish spirts is called Paddys can't seem to find it here in the Boston area anymore. Oh and welcome to roadfood. Chow Jim
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/23 20:53:03
quote:

I've read this site for some time and I'd like to add a local favorite that is worth a sidetrip if you are a visitor to the Philadelphia area, or the near Philly 'burbs. There is a small restaurant / bar on Darby Rd. in Havertown called "The LampLighter".
They make an incredible "Baked Italian Soup" which is a baked crock, similar to the type encountered with Onion soups, but filled with a luscious tomato soup, gooey cheese, and wonderful chunks of pepperoni!
To say that it's "Pizza in a crock" does it vast disservice! It's better than the various efforts to blend pizza (a bad idea! Blenders and real pizza!)and is so tasty that you'll find yourself periodially needing a "fix". To me, that's the hallmark of a true "Roadfood Find" and why I am posting this entry. If you live nearby, and you've never tried this original concotion, then DO stop in, mention that you read about it on Roadfood.Com, and dig in!!!

By the way, I trust you understand that my comment was merely about not caring for pepperoni. I was not attacking you, or even the soup.
Maddog
Junior Burger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/24 10:21:44
This thread has, seemingly, lost it's "raison d'etre". Let's stick to the food, and, with luck, someone will actually go to the "Lamplighter" and either affirm my nomination, or trash it. Better to trash reviews than everyone who takes the time to post here.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/24 14:18:23
quote:

This thread has, seemingly, lost it's "raison d'etre". Let's stick to the food, and, with luck, someone will actually go to the "Lamplighter" and either affirm my nomination, or trash it. Better to trash reviews than everyone who takes the time to post here.

I looked up The Lamplighter on the web last night... Seems they have a really decent menu for a tavern! http://www.lamplightertavern.com/
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/25 10:50:19
quote:

I said the same thing in an argument. Trash the post and not the poster. Well said Maddog, and welcome to Roadfood.

Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/25 10:51:23
Oh, by the way, the soup sounds good.
"Lamplighter"...I will have to remember that on my next trip to Philly.

lleechef
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/25 19:04:39
What do you mean, To hell with Wedding Soup? It is a part of Italian culture and cuisine. That's like saying to hell with ravioli and gnocchi! I'm not knocking the pepperoni/cheese/tomato soup which actually sounds pretty good but Wedding Soup is an Italian tradition. Can't mess with tradition. My great-nona made it, my nona made it, my mother makes it and I make it. Tradition!
morningglory
Double Cheeseburger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/27 01:48:00
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Oh, by the way, the soup sounds good.
"Lamplighter"...I will have to remember that on my next trip to Philly.

Here the link:
http://www.lamplightertavern.com/dinner.html#Soups

Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/27 06:42:19
Hey thats refreshing. When was the last time you seen on the menu the statement to the effect that if there was something not on the menu to please ask maybe they can help? Sounds like a pretty good spot to me. Chow Jim
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/01/31 13:11:11

At the request of the top management, who do read the threads, editing was done to delete posts that were either personal attacks, or way offtopic. Manners, people, Manners!!
WingLover
Cheeseburger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 11:38:05
This soup sounds wonderful! This place isn't very far from me, I may have to make the journey!

~Jessica
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 19:31:10
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

At the request of the top management, who do read the threads, editing was done to delete posts that were either personal attacks, or way offtopic. Manners, people, Manners!!

That should be done with more post's. But I do understand you are a limited few who moderate...
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 19:57:27
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:

That should be done with more post's. But I do understand you are a limited few who moderate...

I am not sure what you mean by your response. Would you plese explain.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 20:14:36
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

quote:

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

What I meant was that there are not that many of you (moderators) on duty, per se, who can possibly read every single reply to every post, and that it would take so much of your time if you had to go back and babysit every single post.

Did that make sense?..
You have much better things to do here than babysit those who take jabs at each other, which I have seen happen many times.
I would rather read what you, Sundancer, post.. even though some of those shouting matches make me laugh at the shear nonsense of them.

It kinda was a backhanded compliment for all the moderators, actually.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 20:22:25
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

quote:

quote:

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul:

I THINK he meant to say that "While posts are a plenty"; moderators are few and thus sometimes things slip through that should have been deleted earlier, etc.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 20:29:48
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator
Paul:
I THINK he meant to say that "While posts are a plenty"; moderators are few and thus sometimes things slip through that should have been deleted earlier, etc.

I believe that "he" is a "she"

By the way Adjudicator, I'm still waiting for you to take a trip somewhere and provide us with a trip report!!!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 20:32:03
I will asure all who post here that Al , Red or myself read every post. Obviously we miss some and some folks get into some debate. As soon as we discover this, we take action.

Recently the thing where folks get into debate has decreased. that is a good thing however some still enjoy getting folks angry.

I sincerely wish that would stop now.

Please believe me between Red, Al and myself, we will remove to post.
We ain't the best but I assure you that we have the best interest of Roadfoood.com at heart.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 20:46:26
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator[

Paul:
I THINK he meant to say that 'While posts are a plenty'; moderators are few and thus sometimes things slip through that should have been deleted earlier, etc.

I believe that 'he' is a 'she'

By the way Adjudicator, I'm still waiting for you to take a trip somewhere and provide us with a trip report!!!!

OK. I've been to Atlanta THREE times in the past month. I am going there again next week for three days. Work, work, work. I ate at Mellow Mushroom (aghast!!! a regional CHAIN!!!) this past visit. Great pizza; didn't take my digital cam., though. Explored the options going up to metro Atlanta via I75 via RF. Only options: Southern food. Been there; done that. Sick of that type of vittles.
I have 3-4 reviews in process, sans pics. Will complete as time allows.

Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/02 21:02:47
quote:

quote:
Paul:

Hooray.............I am new to these boards but all I have seen from this guy is a lot of "nothing"[|)][|)]
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/03 13:59:18
Yes I am a she..
Tara
Now, I am done with this particular soup thread....
CYA later...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/03 14:17:38
quote:

Yes I am a she..
Tara
CYA later...

Tara? And you're heading to the South? How perfect is that?
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/03 17:16:34
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Yes I am a she..
Tara
CYA later...

Tara? And you're heading to the South? How perfect is that?

Kinda fits in proper, huh?
And funny, my mom was from Texas, and my daddy was from Virginia... Born and raised in Florida...only a yankee by address..and thats only 2 years of my life!
Down in S.C., I can eat grits without having anyone say "gross", you eat that stuff?..LOL
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/03 19:54:33
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

quote:

quote:
Paul:

Hooray.............I am new to these boards but all I have seen from this guy is a lot of "nothing"[|)][|)]

"Hooray.............I am new to these boards but all I have seen from this guy is a lot of "nothing""

Greymo:

OK Mr. SmartAss...

Why don't you check the archives for a lot of "nothing" from moi.

shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/06 14:50:23
Getting back to the original subject, I thik I've discovered a good base for tht soup. Campbell's Select roasted red pepper and tomato soup, the one in the box. This is good on its own (I was really surprised) and the hearty soup would lend itself to the other ingredients originally posted. Let me know how it turns out.
Blessed are the peacemakers...
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: To hell with "Wedding Soup"...This is ITALIAN! 2006/02/06 15:46:08
Funny you mention that shortchef,
I used to add cheese (usually parmasian) and pepperoni to italian stlye tomato soup or sometimes tomato bisque when I was in college.
I think it makes a great base, the Campbell's select is probably even better.