Guess The Pie..........

Author Message
Z66 Butch
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/8/2005
  • Location: Emporia, IN
Guess The Pie.......... - Sun, 01/22/06 9:42 PM
0
Ok, look at the pictures and tell me what kind of pie I made for supper.

THE PIE:


After serving:


I will give some hints later if needed but I doubt that they will be ............

Butch

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/13/2003
  • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Sun, 01/22/06 10:39 PM
0
Shoo-fly?

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17815
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/1/2000
  • Location: Gahanna, OH
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Sun, 01/22/06 10:48 PM
0
I don't think I want to know. It looks pretty awful.

stephiegirl
  • Total Posts : 132
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/31/2005
  • Location: Bad Axe, MI
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Sun, 01/22/06 11:28 PM
0
I'm guessing Dutch Apple, but I'm probably wrong!

Z66 Butch
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/8/2005
  • Location: Emporia, IN
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Sun, 01/22/06 11:47 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I don't think I want to know. It looks pretty awful.


I would expect nothing less of a comment from you.

Butch


quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

Shoo-fly?


That is correct! It is the first time I have tried it, not something I would crave......

Butch

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/13/2003
  • Location: Chapel Hill, NC
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Sun, 01/22/06 11:50 PM
0
Can't say that shoofly is one of my favorites either....

shortchef
  • Total Posts : 624
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 1/28/2004
  • Location: Nokomis, FL
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Mon, 01/23/06 10:14 AM
0
Is that a wet-bottom or a dry bottom shoo-fly pie? Looks pretty good to me. Gotta make your own if you want a good one, I've never had a great one in a restaurant, even in Amish country. Anybody interested in a shoo-fly CAKE recipe? It's nice and moist, spicy, and really easy. I'll post it if anyone wants it. It has the four basic food groups in Amish country: flour, fat, sugar, salt. Also molasses, allspice and other goodies.

Z66 Butch
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/8/2005
  • Location: Emporia, IN
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Mon, 01/23/06 10:27 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by shortchef

Is that a wet-bottom or a dry bottom shoo-fly pie? Looks pretty good to me. Gotta make your own if you want a good one, I've never had a great one in a restaurant, even in Amish country. Anybody interested in a shoo-fly CAKE recipe? It's nice and moist, spicy, and really easy. I'll post it if anyone wants it. It has the four basic food groups in Amish country: flour, fat, sugar, salt. Also molasses, allspice and other goodies.


It is a wet bottom pie and I did make it myself. I got the recipe here:

http://oldfashionedliving.com/shoofly.html

Diner-Lover
  • Total Posts : 246
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/23/2005
  • Location: Philly Burb, PA
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Mon, 01/23/06 10:49 AM
0
I love a good, wet-bottom, heavy-on-the-molasses Shoofly pie. A good one is sometimes hard to find. The last good slice I had was at the Kutztown (PA) Pennsylvania German Festival last July. It came from a stand set up by a church and I enjoyed my slice as I sat on bleachers and watched square dancers do-si-do-ing.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/18/2001
  • Location: Knoxville, TN,
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Mon, 01/23/06 10:55 AM
0
I had shoofly pie at a huge buffet place in Lancaster, PA. The best I recall was that it was pretty goood. Perhaps similar to pecan without the pecans with some different spices. I guess the molasses made a difference also.

Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Z66 Butch
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/8/2005
  • Location: Emporia, IN
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Mon, 01/23/06 11:05 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

I had shoofly pie at a huge buffet place in Lancaster, PA. The best I recall was that it was pretty goood. Perhaps similar to pecan without the pecans with some different spices. I guess the molasses made a difference also.

Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN


That is a good discription. I made this one with sorghum molasses and the topping was like you would put on a Dutch apple pie. It was very rich.

Butch

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/28/2004
  • Location: dowagiac, MI
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Mon, 01/23/06 2:30 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I don't think I want to know. It looks pretty awful.


Maybe Butch should of said "This Pie is from Waffle House."

I bet Mr. Hoffman's comments were been alot more POSITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: Guess The Pie.......... - Mon, 01/23/06 6:09 PM
0
As long as it was good and YOU ate it,...
I cant tell...looks like some kind of nuts....