Winter time hot dog cart sales

myway
  • Total Posts : 308
  • Reward points : 0
Winter time hot dog cart sales - Wed, 01/25/06 2:25 PM
Hi,
I was just kind of curious if anyone, in the North, has they're hot dog cart open in the winter time. I do not see them here in Indiana. I thought about it, but am unsure as to the problems that occur. Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Wed, 01/25/06 2:49 PM
Only one I know of is Cowboy Bob... He keeps his open all year, though he has a stand in, vs. a cart..

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Wed, 01/25/06 3:37 PM
My cart is open until Christmas. November & December were very cold in Wisconsin. From Thanksgiving until Christmas, weekend business was like a roaring freight train. I always close down from January-May 1st. This year, I'll reopen July 1st. Problems with cold weather come from high winds that play havoc with the burners on a cart. They'll need protection from the wind. I've never had problems with condiments freezing, but others have. Using a damp cloth to wipe down stainless steel creates instant icing. Portable water supply containers must be kept indoors to avoid freezing. To prevent freezing, buns are kept indoors until just before going into the steamer. Soda and water must be kept in closed coolers with no ice. Diet sodas will explode when exposed to extreme cold. Bottled water freezes if exposed. I work at an outdoor shopping mall and business slows down after Christmas through the spring. Summer, fall, and early winter it picks up and that's when I work.

CSD

Burgermeister
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Thu, 02/2/06 5:50 PM

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17823
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Thu, 02/2/06 6:02 PM
They're open all year around in downtown Columbus.

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3218
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Sat, 02/4/06 12:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

And I'll bet he's freezing his buns during the winter!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17823
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Sat, 02/4/06 2:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by chicagostyledog

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

And I'll bet he's freezing his buns during the winter!

I can't say. All I know is there are several carts outside each of the office buildings and government buildings in downtown Columbus, as well as in front of several hospitals.

Xfireguy
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Fri, 03/3/06 10:16 AM
Ever been to NYC in the winter? They're still out there. I know a couple in CT that if its not snowing or too cold they're out there.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Fri, 03/3/06 11:36 AM
There is a guy up here in New England that sets up on the bottom of large hill where many people go sledding. Sells dogs, chili,coffee,hot chocolate. On a good day there is always a line at the wagon. The kids slide down a couple of times and then they want something. There is a big turn over of business all day long, and to the guys credit he dose a great job of policeing the area at end of day. Chow Jim

cowboy bob 2
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Winter time hot dog cart sales - Sun, 03/5/06 3:43 PM
Well its been an easy winter as far as clothing goes. since jan I haven't worn my long johns, A mild one. In the spring I'm going to spiff up my old stand in trailer and sell it off. My sales are about the same every week lately. Can't wait till spring when sales should increase. My current trailer is a 8.5x20, A lot of room inside, BUT! I'm thinking of an 8.5x30 for next year. It will have a 10ft section with an entrance door and an exit and with condiments in this area for self service and a counter seperating me from customers and a large sign stating "NO Loitering", Now my customers are dressed for winter and all arrive in a car. I went over my 300 minutes for my cell phone so, I upped it to 600 minutes for call aheads. I average about 10 to 20 a day. I encourage them to call ahead. I am now doing 2 doz "average" egg sandwiches a day now. $2 plain egg and cheese to $2.50 for a meat and egg and ch. I cook them in cooking rings. and toast their buns on grill. Cook your bacon ahead of time. then refridgerate them and nuke them for 10 sec. or throw them on warm spot on grill. wala!
I do frozen sausage pattys in Nuker for 30 sec. then grill them while eggs are cooking. Some truckers say when they leave SC or Boston, all they think about is one of my sanwhiches. And I ain't lying.
Well in 2 weeks I'm going to offer a tunafish Sand. on a crustini round bun for $3.00 w/lettuce, I'm now doing chicken tenders $1.25 ea. PS I have 4 refridg. units and 1 Freezer in my trailer, but am soon replacing 2 with a window merchandiser for viewable beverage sales. cost about $1,200 for 19cf True unit.
Later CBB in PA