Steak-Altoona Iowa

bigfeeler6
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
Steak-Altoona Iowa - Tue, 01/31/06 8:23 PM
I've been a Roadfood fan for a long time and I find it STUNNING that The Big Steer in Altoona, Iowa is not a favorite of theirs. I love steak, have eaten alot of their steak favorites, and The Big Steer's Iowa raised corn fed beef steak is special and supreme. Plus, at around $20, they're affordable. They're better than the great steak at Geno & Georgetti's (Chicago)and half the price. Plus, the place is cosy, "old school", and situated next to a good racetrack (Prairie Meadows). I can't believe M & J haven't been there. Best, Bob Nastanovich

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Steak-Altoona Iowa - Thu, 02/16/06 10:51 PM
Sure sounds good...........the cost of getting to Altoona might just cut into the $20 steak price, though! (sounds good for someone making a cross country drive..., just like I once enjoyed a good steak in Grand Island , Nebraska)

cause , really, what else is there to do in Altoona? Go look at the house where Tom Arnold lived? Is'nt that known as Tom Arnold's birthplace?

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Steak-Altoona Iowa - Thu, 02/16/06 10:54 PM
actually, come to think of it, I think Ottumwa, IA was Tom Arnolds hometown..

ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1503
RE: Steak-Altoona Iowa - Fri, 02/17/06 12:40 AM
And Radar's from "M*A+S*H, too...and the home of the long defunct Sylvania Club, a true roadhouse tavern on Route #34 outside of Ottumwa, run by Herm Seligman, one of the nicest guys there ever was.

I really liked his burgers. I was told his steaks were great, but I never had one. I was a college kid. Herm would have given it to me for nothing, but I'd never ask. He was Aces. Always asked me if I had enough dough. Here's to you, Herm.
The Bear

helen_t
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Steak-Altoona Iowa - Sat, 04/22/06 8:11 AM
I am sure - it sounds good. Look here: http://fooddelivery.50webs.com

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 788
RE: Steak-Altoona Iowa - Sat, 04/22/06 8:47 AM
I went to college in Fairfield, down the road from Otumwa. I remember the Sylvania fondly. As you say, great burgers