The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos

Cheeseburger
2006/02/02 15:11:12
Here's Southern Living's list of The South's best fried chicken restaurants:

http://www.southernliving.com/southern/images/travel_ss/food/650788/chickenchart.html

Which ones have been lost as a result of hurricanes, fires, closures, etc.?
tjr
Cheeseburger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/02/03 14:04:32
As I recollect, Jay's in Louisville closed after some tax/bankruptcy trouble.

One of the favorites in Lou is the Chick Inn. It's a little different style, very crunchy & greasy, but it's always crowded. May not have made the list as they had a fire and only recently rebuilt the whole place.

Surprised to see nothing from Northern or Western Kentucky, may just reflect the fact that they have fewer readers in those areas.
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/02/03 14:54:43
Thanks for the link...good stuff.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/02/03 15:21:51
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan

Thanks for the link...good stuff.

Right! I have been to 10 of these places so I have a long ways to go!
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/02/03 15:37:02
Awww man, I went over to Jax Beach this past Saturday to meet one of my vendors for the first time. She raved about "The Homestead" and their fried chicken but didn't think it was open during lunch hours on Saturday. We ended up at "Joe's Crab Shack". First time we went in there was an 1 1/2 hr wait, we left and walked the beach. When we got back there was only a 15 minute wait that ended up being about 5 minutes. Now that I've eaten there, I DO NOT see the big deal. The best thing I got from there was a shirt......
marky
Cheeseburger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/02/03 15:51:19
frans chicken in boca raton has a way with fried chicken that is unlike any ive ever had. secret method in biz over 40 years. crunchy on the outside juicy inside only one ive had in this league would be strouds in k.c.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/02/26 10:56:11
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Awww man, I went over to Jax Beach this past Saturday to meet one of my vendors for the first time. She raved about "The Homestead" and their fried chicken but didn't think it was open during lunch hours on Saturday. We ended up at "Joe's Crab Shack". First time we went in there was an 1 1/2 hr wait, we left and walked the beach. When we got back there was only a 15 minute wait that ended up being about 5 minutes. Now that I've eaten there, I DO NOT see the big deal. The best thing I got from there was a shirt......
Are you reffering to Joe's Crab Shack -- The Chain ????
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/02/26 11:20:19
We have some winners here:

Jim's Restaurant: 1504 South Memorial Drive, Prattville, AL 36067; (334) 365-7231. Hours: open 24 hours daily. Serves chicken daily. (right off of I-65)

Mr. Chick: 1125 U.S. 84 East, Cairo, GA 39828; (229) 377-3911. Hours: 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday. Serves chicken daily. (20 minutes from my abode)

The Shrimp Boat: 911 South Elbert Street, Milledgeville, GA 31061; (478) 452-0559. Hours: 10:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday. Serves chicken daily.

First United Methodist Church: 307 Flint Avenue, Albany, GA 31701; (229) 432-7407. Serves chicken for lunch on Tuesdays and select Wednesday evenings

Bulloch House: 47 Bulloch Street, Warm Springs, GA 31830; (706) 655-9068. Hours: 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 5-8:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday. Serves chicken daily

Dixie Grill: 101 Dowling Avenue, Live Oak, FL 32064; (386) 364-2810. Hours: 5 a.m.-9:30 p.m. daily. Serves chicken daily.

Shingles Chicken House: 905 Miles Street, Tallahassee, FL 32310; (850) 681-2626. Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday. Serves chicken daily.

seafarer john
Filet Mignon
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/02/26 13:14:53
We were treated to the buffet at Caludia Sanders in Simpsonville, KY last Sunday by Al the Mayor and his lovely wife. The fried chicken was excellent and the rest of the buffet was even better: rare roast beef, harvard beets, pies, , etc.
An excellent place for lunch or dinner any time of the year,

Cheers, John
pinkie
Junior Burger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/06/08 18:25:00
[|)]I LOVE Fatt Matt's Chicken Shack in Atlanta and Matthews in Tucker, GA for the BEST fried chicken ever...yum, get me some.
V960
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/06/08 21:02:27
Only one they got right in NC was Price's.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/06/08 21:36:17
quote:
Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

Are you reffering to Joe's Crab Shack -- The Chain ????

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would even consider Joe's Crab Shack. And,when it comes to being anywhere near the sea, how is it possible for one to bring himself or herself to such a terrible imitation of good?
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/06/08 23:08:44
I wish ANY of the Florida places were closer than an hour away (1) and most of them are at least 2+ hours from here. I thought I lived in a pretty central location, near to almost anywhere in FL, but not good fried chicken. Unfortunately, the best around here comes from the Publix Deli.
John A
Filet Mignon
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2006/06/09 07:05:12
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

I wish ANY of the Florida places were closer than an hour away (1) and most of them are at least 2+ hours from here. I thought I lived in a pretty central location, near to almost anywhere in FL, but not good fried chicken. Unfortunately, the best around here comes from the Publix Deli.

Yep, had two legs for lunch yesterday that just came out of the fryer.
They’re also a good place for subs but have gotten a little pricey lately.

John
janifer
Hamburger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2007/09/03 18:27:41
If you're in the Moultrie, GA vicinity and are hungry for fried chicken I recommend Dalton's. They relocated from town to the outskirts and I Googled but can't find an address, but it's off the West side of the East Bypass (US 319) a mile or so South of the Tifton turn off, kind of behind the Krystal. Phone number was 229/985-9190; maybe it still is. Sure tasted good at the end of a trip back from Asheville, NC & the Whole Foods Market in Greenville, SC.

Unfortunately, I have to agree that the Publix deli seems best fried chicken in Tallahassee. Since Old South & Shingles closed before I ever got there so I've nothing local to compare it to.
HollyDolly
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2007/09/04 11:37:11
Three of the chicken places are located in my area.
However,would like to point a couple of things out.Earl Abel's in San Antonio is no longer on Broadway.The owner's son decided to close the place after many years. The land was sold for condos.
However,Earl Abel's and the recipes were bought by a gentleman whose name escapes me right now. The place is open again and is located now on Austin highway in the Terrel Hills Shopping plaza.It is located where the old HomeTown Buffet used to be.Ate there at Hometown once,was okay,but not impressed. Earl Abel's may have a website,and many of the old employees still work there.
Po-Po's Family Restaurant is out on I-10.You go out I-10 West and get off at the Welfare Exit533.You follow the road and you will see it on your right hand side.By the way, the area it is located in is called Nelson City.If you see a highway sign for Nelson City,you are in the right spot.You can follow the road to the community of Welfare,which also has a restaurant and then to the town of Waring.
Which has more people than both towns.You might want to go to
www.texasescapes.com to learn more on these places and about Seguin.
The K&G Steakhouse and Saloon is on TxHwy 123 Bypass right near I-10 East to Houston.
You can get off of I-10 East at the Seguin exit and hit US Hwy 90 and take it to Luling to go to City Market there for bbq.If you take Us Hwy 90 Alternate,you go out to Gonzales where the first shot in the Texas Revolution was fired.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2007/09/04 12:44:39
Babe's Chicken Dinner House has amazing chicken in north Texas and they are included on the list from Southern Living
aribo
Junior Burger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2007/09/26 09:41:00
Fran's is pretty good chicken!

quote:
Originally posted by marky

frans chicken in boca raton has a way with fried chicken that is unlike any ive ever had. secret method in biz over 40 years. crunchy on the outside juicy inside only one ive had in this league would be strouds in k.c.
ctfrasier
Cheeseburger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2007/10/09 02:46:55
I'd add two establishments to that list. First, Our Place in Mt. Juliet, TN. They make wonderful skinless fried chicken. Second, Ron's Barn in Sanford, NC. Great chicken, great BBQ, GREAT value!
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2007/12/23 18:49:51
Babe's Chicken Dinner House. YUM! I prefer their Carrollton location (Beltline @ the Stemmons).

www.babeschicken.com

There was a topic on her, too; I'll get it and put it here with an edit.

http://roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20631&SearchTerms=babe's+chicken+dinner+house
beteez
Junior Burger
RE: The South's Best Fried Chicken Restos 2007/12/27 15:58:20
Nicks north of Brunswick, Ga on 17, bestchicken i S Ga. Buffet, veggies are okay but people go for the chicken.