Bombay Bazaar in San Francisco

Junior Burger
2003/03/03 21:50:57
This storefront on Valencia serves knock-out ice cream with the most glamorous flavors: rose, fig, saffron, "chiku", etc. My favorite? A scoop of cardamom topped with warm chocolate sauce!
bumper
Hamburger
RE: Bombay Bazaar in San Francisco 2003/03/05 13:00:16
quote:
Originally posted by scenicrec

This storefront on Valencia serves knock-out ice cream with the most glamorous flavors: rose, fig, saffron, "chiku", etc. My favorite? A scoop of cardamom topped with warm chocolate sauce!

What is cardamom and chiku ? Going S. F. later this year anyone know of other ice cream or frozen custard places ?
scenicrec
Junior Burger
RE: Bombay Bazaar in San Francisco 2003/03/09 09:00:42
Chiku is some kind of tropical fruit that I know nothing about except that it's good in ice cream. Cardamom is a warm, pungent spice used in Indian cooking and lots of Swedish baking. I forget to mention that they also serve Indian street food and great plain-old-chocolate ice cream.
jessicazee
Cheeseburger
RE: Bombay Bazaar in San Francisco 2003/03/21 00:58:51
Those flavors sound SO awesome! Maybe I'll try to make the cardamom at home.
redsoxgirl
Junior Burger
RE: Bombay Bazaar in San Francisco 2003/03/21 22:10:15
Custard Beach in New York is pretty good
RE: Bombay Bazaar in San Francisco 2003/06/09 20:45:20
Better late than never?
Best ice creams in San Francisco:
- Mitchell's [on San Jose @ 29th] is incredible - housemade traditional & tropical flavors (my fave is ube [OO-beh], which is a beautiful purple sweet potato popular in the Pac. Rim; their cantalope is also a serious find).
- St. Francis Fountain [24th @ York] is best known for their great variety of traditional fountain treats; they used to make their own candy - now only the ice cream is made here.
- Polly Ann's Ice Cream [3142 Noriega?] may now be serving Mitchell's ice cream, if memory serves, but they're best remembered for their "Wheel of Indecision" that helps you pick a flavor (when nothing else works), AND their special freebie doggie cones for your pooch.
- Double Rainbow used to be an extensive local chain (I think they're down to 1 or 2 locations now), but their ice cream is still sold locally in markets; their "Ultra Chocolate" is darn near perfection!...
Frostily,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: Bombay Bazaar in San Francisco 2003/07/31 19:34:00
quote:
Originally posted by scenicrec

Great stuff--and their food isnt bad either--I loved having to choose from so many flavors i had never even heard of never mind tasted--saffron ice cream is REALLY good!