quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
Originally posted by laststandchili

oops think I'm coming unhinged.
Vayo con Queso

LOL.. sounds like it, but I still prefer mine with SWEET cornbread or over yellow rice with diced onions...

OK. What is the deal with your fetish ( ) about SWEET cornbread???

LMAO
Must be a southern parental upbringing.
At least I dont drink milk with chili....
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/02/08 20:29:22
New England Johnny Cake.

And I make my chili with beans.

Don't tell Lone Star or Bushie!
corabeth
Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/02/19 19:00:01
quote:
Originally posted by creek rat

Corabeth, lived in Terre Haute & Indy for 7 years. How in Gods name can you mention milk with chili? Beer, beer, beer, & again beer. You should once & for all terminate your Hoosier roots by saying you drink milk with your chili! I for one am appalled!

Creek Rat,

Alas, my roots are not Hoosier(although I have lived in Indiana for 30 years). I was born and bred an proud mountaineer from West Virginia.
When I was growing up when I would have been drinking beer, the only beer available in WV was 3.2%. YUCK! So, I never developed the tast for it.
creek rat
Hamburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/02/19 20:34:16
Corabeth, taught in Indy during the middle 60s. Half of my classes were transplants from West Virginia. I guess at that time a lot of the mines closed & people headed north for jobs. My daughter did go to Marshall & as a result turned me into a Herd fan. I don't think 3.2 beer is around anymore. Is it?
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/02/19 21:30:05
Dearfolk,
Which to accompany chili - crackers or cornbread? Lordy! Nothing, unless you're in Tennessee where you can find that wonderful grilled, flat cornbread. When I've found those things together, it's second nature for me to take a thwop of chili and wrap it in the cornbread and eat it togather like some sort of surreal hillbilly burritto. (If I'm not careful, it drips nearly as bad as Salvador Dali's watches melted.)
I mean, even if there is (indeed) a Monterey in East Central Tennessee, it ain't noplace near nothin' named Nuevo Leon.
Chilligothically, Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
P. S. A bowl of chili at The Blind Pig would be the perfect accompaniment for the chilly, rainy night we have outside.
Rick F.
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/02/21 09:06:24
Sweet corn bread. . . . When light of my heart and the love of my life made her first corn bread, back in 1966, I took one taste and almost gagged. She had put sugar in it! When I recovered I asked and it turned out that she had used the recipe in Fannie Farmer's Boston School of Cooking recipe book, a wedding gift from some well-meaning but clueless soul. I explained the error of her ways and we reconciled, and she now has as little use for what we call "Yankee corn bread" as any other right-thinking person.
corabeth
Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/02/21 12:25:47
quote:

Corabeth, taught in Indy during the middle 60s. Half of my classes were transplants from West Virginia. I guess at that time a lot of the mines closed & people headed north for jobs. My daughter did go to Marshall & as a result turned me into a Herd fan. I don't think 3.2 beer is around anymore. Is it?

Creek Rat,

My husband was transferred to Indy in the mid 1970's. Your students were probably from the part of Indy called "Briartown". Not a very complimentary term.

West Virginia now has beer just like everyone else.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/02/27 23:31:18
quote:
I don't think 3.2 beer is around anymore. Is it?

Creek Rat,
It is fast disappearing. West Virginia went from 3.2% to little or no restriction at least ten years ago... maybe more. It was too late, though, to save Huntington's Fesenmeier Brewery (operating in its last years as Little Switzerland): they introduced a new brew named Charge! circa 1972 that was mighty tasty. I only managed one sample of it, and remember it fondly... and wish I had saved the can!
Florida still theoretically sells only 3.2% beer in its five "dry" counties in the panhandle; the other 62 are "wet" and sell everything.
States that still have 3.2% beer include North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and I think there's one more left... Idaho, maybe.
I'm just back from a fine glass of Double Bock at my local Copper Creek Brewing Co., so if my typing isn't perfect, we can blame Matt the brewmaster for debauching my rhetorical abilities. Good man, that one.
Wishing I Was Lighter, Ort. Carlton in Beer-Up-To-14%-Legal Athens, Georgia.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/02/27 23:39:34

Corabeth,
Have you taken up the Hoosier habit (migrated from Cincinnati) of putting some form of Pasta in the bottom of the bowl of Chili in place of any bread/crackers on top?
I still haven't become accustomed to seeing those "worms" in my Chili!!
Fesenswitz
Junior Burger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/05 14:01:00
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
I don't think 3.2 beer is around anymore. Is it?

Creek Rat,
It is fast disappearing. West Virginia went from 3.2% to little or no restriction at least ten years ago... maybe more. It was too late, though, to save Huntington's <b style="color:black;background-color:#ffff66">Fesenmeier</b> Brewery (operating in its last years as Little Switzerland): they introduced a new brew named Charge! circa 1972 that was mighty tasty. I only managed one sample of it, and remember it fondly... and wish I had saved the can!
Florida still theoretically sells only 3.2% beer in its five "dry" counties in the panhandle; the other 62 are "wet" and sell everything.
States that still have 3.2% beer include North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, and I think there's one more left... Idaho, maybe.
I'm just back from a fine glass of Double Bock at my local Copper Creek Brewing Co., so if my typing isn't perfect, we can blame Matt the brewmaster for debauching my rhetorical abilities. Good man, that one.
Wishing I Was Lighter, Ort. Carlton in Beer-Up-To-14%-Legal Athens, Georgia.

Check out www.huntingtonbeercans.com for more information on Charge Beer and others made in Huntington, West Virginia.
corabeth
Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/05 18:24:15
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Corabeth,
Have you taken up the Hoosier habit (migrated from Cincinnati) of putting some form of Pasta in the bottom of the bowl of Chili in place of any bread/crackers on top?
I still haven't become accustomed to seeing those "worms" in my Chili!!

Al-the-Mayor-Bowen,

When I make my own chili, I do not use noodles of any kind. But, one of my favorite winter meals is Chili 3 Ways from Steak and Shake with oyster crackers and parmesan cheese. In fact, on this cold windy snowy day(March is coming in like a lion!), I just had some Chili 3 ways and a Frisco Melt. By the way, did you ever make it over th Ireland, IN for the fried chciken.
Rick F.
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/05 23:07:37
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

And I make my chili with beans.

Don't tell Lone Star or Bushie!
Ditto.
WBBear
Junior Burger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/22 16:57:42
Crackers with "soupy" chili and Cornbread with "the thick stuff".
But a friend of mine many years ago got me eating peanut butter toasties with chili. YUM,YUM!!!!
There is something about the melt-y peanut butter and the hot of the chili that just does it for me.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/22 17:26:04
quote:
Originally posted by WBBear

But a friend of mine many years ago got me eating peanut butter toasties with chili. YUM,YUM!!!!
There is something about the melt-y peanut butter and the hot of the chili that just does it for me.

OK, I'll bite. What are peanut butter toasties?
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/22 17:37:31
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
Originally posted by WBBear

drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/23 13:30:30
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

How about crumbled-up corn chips, not the Doritos bbq?

I have done crumbled up Fritos with my chili at 2 AM several nights.
(ahem)
Also crumbled up Fritos with my tomato soup!

Tara,have you ever tried cilantro with your Tomato soup?
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/25 12:54:03
Ahh, Fritos. One of my grandsone eats his chili w/ Frito Scoops rather than using a spoon, and prefers lemonaide to drink with it. Hey, it's not bad that way.

Ohh, what to drink, my fav is Shiner Bock beer. I guess that is as different as all of the tasts for chili and what to eat it with. It's a true American dish!

My thoughts are...if you can think of it... go for it! Ahh, a new food quote?
Joe
drsmoke02
Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/25 14:41:30
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Ahh, Fritos. One of my grandsone eats his chili w/ Frito Scoops rather than using a spoon, and prefers lemonaide to drink with it. Hey, it's not bad that way.

Ohh, what to drink, my fav is Shiner Bock beer. I guess that is as different as all of the tasts for chili and what to eat it with. It's a true American dish!

My thoughts are...if you can think of it... go for it! Ahh, a new food quote?
Joe

PapaJoe,alot of places serve a Frito pie,for an appetizer,it's a pile of fritos topped with chili, cheese, onion,sour cream,any way you want it.

I make a pie with our homemade potato chips,you right,true american dish!

I'm going to steal your quote and put it on tshirts.It just might apply in a few different arenas!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/25 15:09:52
There is a mini chain that started in Knoxville during the 1982 World's Fair. It is Petro's and is still in operation.

I have tried them many times and they are very good but nothing that you can't duplicate at home. They are real basic as indicated by the attached. It is basically just chips, chili, sour cream and other goodies that you would use with chil.

http://www.petros.com/1.22/html/h_what.htm

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/03/25 21:36:57
quote:
Originally posted by drsmoke02

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

How about crumbled-up corn chips, not the Doritos bbq?

I have done crumbled up Fritos with my chili at 2 AM several nights.
(ahem)
Also crumbled up Fritos with my tomato soup!

Tara,have you ever tried cilantro with your Tomato soup?

BASIL goes in my tomato soup....
WBBear
Junior Burger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/04/16 18:25:29
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Think in terms of a grilled cheese sandwich but with smooth peanut butter in the middle instead of the cheese. (The peanut butter must be Peter Pan.)
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/04/17 08:47:26
Chili (NO BEANS, beans make it soup) with Fritos, shredded cheese and diced onions, maybe some good sourdough or french bread with butter on the side and beer (regular or root).
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/04/17 09:28:29
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.
It is fast disappearing. West Virginia went from 3.2% to little or no restriction at least ten years ago...

WV switched to regular beer around 30 yrs ago(I believe at the same time the drinking age went to 21). Alcohol was still sold through state stores up till around 15 yrs ago.
Back in the early 70s we made regular friday night beer runs to Ohio for the good stuff. There were big warehouse type beer stores along the border.
The really interesting situation was Ohio back then. . . you could go into a bar at 18 and drink 3.2 beer while those over 21 could drink regular stuff.

Chilli with beans, burger and SWEET cornbread!

Blower
Hamburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/04/18 17:44:24
Crackers and beer...although not a cornbread fan I wouldnt turn down some of that cheddar, jalepeno described above.
dews
Junior Burger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/05/18 16:40:43
No beans in the chili but float bisciuts ( the cheap ones in the tube from the grocery store )on top the stem cooks the I call them dumplings but the family calls them chili biscuits
Rusty246
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/05/18 16:57:06
Premium brand crackers, topped a light coating of butter, buttermilk cornbread(no sweet stuff here either)with any kind of beans, or peas, meaning white acre, black eyes, limas, etc. and, BEER!
JBarry713
Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/05/19 11:32:50
I'll take cornbread with chili or nothing at all, unless its Cincinnati style chile, in which case I'll crumble a few crackers on top.
adbunting
Hamburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/05/29 07:11:55
Corn tortillas. Steamed. Tons of cheddar and onions...dollop of sour cream.

A*
Zman
Hamburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/05/29 07:55:15
Warm jalapeno cornbread with a BIG ol' gob of butter just melted into it!

Orgasmic!!
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/06/08 04:40:14
Give me the cornbread any day, but since i'm lazy and usually dont make cornbread, I do the white bread and peanut butter and yes,,,,I drink a big glass of ice cold milk to chase it down.
firefun3
Junior Burger
RE: Crackers or Cornbread? 2006/09/14 20:48:10
I like my cornbread a little moist and with a touch of sweetness...and ya gotta have real Buttah!!!!!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2