Sides for hot dogs

Cheeseburger
2006/02/04 10:01:26
As I've stated a million times before..."i'm in the research process of opening my own hot dog joint", so my question is what sides would you prefer with your hot dog? I want to keep my menu small so i have to narrow it to a couple of sides. Originally I was against french fries, I worked in kitchens enough to know about the excess heat, burns, slippery floors, greased up exhausts and equipment and the hastle of cleaning the friolators. After much deliberation I feel I would lose alot of business by not offering fries. I feel chips would only satisfy some customers, and fries are the #1 snack food in America. Do you feel I'm making the right decision doing fries instead of chips? Any input would help alot thanks!
Captain Morgan
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 10:20:04
Everybody loves fries. Ever heard anyone say "I hate french fries?"

Good profit margin on em too.
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 10:34:04
If you do, make very good fries.

Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 10:43:50
Instead of traditional fries, why don't you investigate making some home style kettle chips?
RC51Mike
Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 12:42:49
I agree with the fries or home made chips. Excellent fries seem to be one of those things that creates a buzz. And if the patrons aren't into hot dogs, they will likely still go for good fries. I've been to a couple nice restaurants that serve home made chips and they too create a reputation. I always thought you could be successful at a mom/pop small scale place if you just did one or two things that really stand out. Just my uninformed two cents.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 12:43:15
I understand and sympathize with your concerns regarding grease and all its attendant problems. But, if you have the patience and the wherewithal to handle it, this is a no brainer. chicagostyledog, any thoughts?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 13:59:36
When I was growing up the sides I always got with my hotdogs were fried clams, french fries, lobster rolls and clams on the half shell. Oh, and a pineapple drink or birch beer.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 14:37:50
Thin sliced potatoes cook fast, smell good, salt easy and to me appears cheap to make, substitutes for chips chips and fries and are certainly more unusual.

You can dust them with a variety of sppices such as chili powder and other tasty things.

They are like potato chips except slightly thicker.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/04 17:54:43
I think I'm in the minority here. Given the choice of great French Fries or great Potato Salad as sides for my dogs, I'd be hard-put to make a decision.

That said, only second to a better mousetrap, if you cook great French Fries, they'll beat a path to your door. Or, if you cook it, they will come.
The Bear
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 01:59:25
I agree with ScreenBear. Potato Salad or a good Slaw would be preferable for me, but if I had my choice, some good baked beans cant be beat.
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 02:47:18
If you are planning to offer chili and cheese as extra-charge toppings for your dogs, let me toss out a suggestion. Offer a microwave-baked potato. It can be used as a side, and also as a "meal" by using the chili and cheese toppings too. Then offer slaw as a side, and it can be another extra-charge topping for your dogs.

When our Boy Scout troop sells food as a money raiser at Rondezvous, we sell hot dogs, nachos and micro-baked potatoes, offering chili (w/o beans), nacho cheese sauce, and salsa as extra-charge toppings on all three items. Butter (for the potato), chopped onions, jalapeno slices (for the nachos), catsup, mustard and sweet relish (for the dogs) are all free. By using toppings that can apply to all 3 items, we keep our inventory down, while offering a fairly large number of combinations for the customer to pick from. The customers seem to like all the offerings (and yes, some people like salsa dogs).
jeepguy
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 04:57:39
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

When I was growing up the sides I always got with my hotdogs were fried clams, french fries, lobster rolls and clams on the half shell. Oh, and a pineapple drink or birch beer.
Sounds like alot of food- you must be huge.
Fieldthistle
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 08:44:27
Hello All,
I love fries with a hot dog. If I can't have fries, then give me pork and beans with chips.
I have a friend who grew up in Maine, and one of her favorite childhood memories is Saturday
night meals of hot dogs, brown bread and baked beans. I tried the baked beans with hot dogs,
but found the beans were not sweet enough.
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/05 09:29:13
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

quote:

Sounds like alot of food- you must be huge.

Well, I was a growing boy at the time. The usual order was four hotdogs, two lobster rolls, a pint order of fried clams (real ones, not strips), a similar size order of french fries, a half dozen clams on the half shell (always at least seven, sometimes there'd be eight), and one drink. And just so you'll know how long ago that was, I'd get change from a five dollar bill.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/07 18:38:02
Baked beans would be a good side also.. Can be used as a side, or as a topping on the dog.
mugirl2003
Junior Burger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/07 19:29:01
Tater Tots or potato wedges maybe??
AndreaB
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/08 05:21:38
I think it would be a mistake not to have fries. But, why not offer them plain or seasoned with different flavors to choose from like spicy fries, dill fries, curry fries, cumin fries, etc.? I know I would go for the dill fries. Yah, and definitely offer the cole slaw as you'll need it for the dogs as well. Onion rings are a must as well. And how about a side salad or vegetable soup for those who are trying to be "healhy", but are there because the kids want a simple dog and fries?

Andrea
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/08 06:59:51
Try German potato sald and cole slaw both would go well with the barkers. I can understand the fryolator thing if you find it nessesary you can always add it later. Chow Jim
dreamzpainter
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/08 10:58:27
When I stop at a cart I'm not interested in "sides" a couple dogs and a drink, maybe a bag of chips and back on the road I go. Its different if its a vendor at the carnival or festival but I still dont want to try and balance a couple dogs, side of fries and a drink while standing so I'll buy a dog and eat while walking, then hit the next stand for a crabcake or basket of shrimp or whatever. The more you offer the more logistics you have to deal with so when starting K.I.S.S applies 10 fold.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 11:54:48
The problem with anything but fries or chips is that you need silver/plastic-ware to eat. So, it appears that if you want to keep the food "hand"y, you should serve fries or chips. But don't forget the pickles.

That said, if I had my druthers, my hotdog platter would involve potato salad and baked beans.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 12:13:09
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

The problem with anything but fries or chips is that you need silver/plastic-ware to eat. So, it appears that if you want to keep the food "hand"y, you should serve fries or chips. But don't forget the pickles.

That said, if I had my druthers, my hotdog platter would involve potato salad and baked beans.

Heck, all you need to eat sides of fried clams, lobster rolls and raw clams are fingers and a mouth.
porkbeaks
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 12:50:50
quote:

Hoffman, you are one weird old man. pb
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 13:41:31
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

Hoffman, you are one weird old man. pb

Thanks, but what I had with my hot dogs was the same as everyone else had where I lived.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 14:43:24
quote:

quote:

Heck, all you need to eat sides of fried clams, lobster rolls and raw clams are fingers and a mouth.

True. True. But then I never really considered fried clams, lobster rolls or raw clams as side dishes. Case in point, if I had a lobster roll on the same plate as a hotdog, I think I'd consider the hotdog the side item.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 14:48:25
quote:

quote:

quote:

True. True. But then I never really considered fried clams, lobster rolls or raw clams as side dishes. Case in point, if I had a lobster roll on the same plate as a hotdog, I think I'd consider the hotdog the side item.

Ah, but you didn't grow up on the shore of Long Island Sound.
rjb
Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 15:01:48
Sides like slaw, beans & especially potato salad are all subject to highly personal taste (usually equaling what mom made), unlike fries/chips which, despite a measure of variability, are reasonably standard items of generally broad appeal. I've only had really bad FF's once, but am routinely disappointed by the sugary, gloppy concoctions routinely passed off as slaw & potato salad.

FF's would seem to be the better bet for a dog joint unless you want to make one or more distinctive sides as specialized, signature dishes.
porkbeaks
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/09 15:03:21
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not to mention the fact that back when you were stuffing your face with lobster it was still considered a "trash" dish....or aren't you THAT old. pb
Poopy
Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 17:09:25
Onion rings!
Saint Matt
Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 18:06:05
You could serve air-cooked shoe string potatoes. They can be quite good, especially with seasoning salt or covered in chilli. Less messy than a deep fryer. Appealing to customers who don't want a deep-fried side dish.

A place near me serves them and they are just as good as regular fries. You can barely tell the difference.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 18:37:40
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not to mention the fact that back when you were stuffing your face with lobster it was still considered a "trash" dish....or aren't you THAT old. pb

One can only guess at your eating habits if you think anyone stuffs his or her face with lobster. And the guess is most unappetizing.
porkbeaks
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 18:53:32
quote:

One can only guess at your eating habits if you think anyone stuffs his or her face with lobster. And the guess is most unappetizing.

This coming from someone who thinks the proper sides for four hot dogs are two lobster rolls, a pint order of fried clams, a similar size order of french fries, a half dozen clams on the half shell (always at least seven, sometimes there'd be eight), and one drink. I think most folks would refer to this as "stuffing you face". pb
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 19:19:42
quote:

quote:

This coming from someone who thinks the proper sides for four hot dogs are two lobster rolls, a pint order of fried clams, a similar size order of french fries, a half dozen clams on the half shell (always at least seven, sometimes there'd be eight), and one drink. I think most folks would refer to this as "stuffing you face". pb

I would never argue about a statement that most slobs would use such a reference. Most folks, however, would never consider such terminology.
porkbeaks
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 23:12:10
quote:

quote:

quote:

I would never argue about a statement that most slobs would use such a reference. Most folks, however, would never consider such terminology.

Slobs, huh? This coming from someone who thinks the proper sides for four hot dogs are two lobster rolls, a pint order of fried clams, a similar size order of french fries, a half dozen clams on the half shell (always at least seven, sometimes there'd be eight), and one drink.

You've "evolved" from a gluttonous (but genteel) growing boy into a pedantic (and tiresome) curmudgeon of an old man. You are truly a piece of work. pb
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/10 23:58:58
Well, I guess everyone I knew must have been gluttonous because everyone I knew, from kids to grandparents, ate just about the same thing on every visit to Jimmys of Savin Rock. As to curmudgeonly pedant, tiresome or not, I would never refer to you as porkbutt despite the obvious fact that it speaks to where your alleged brains reside.

There is one thing that puzzles me. What is it that causes you to have a life so empty that you spend so much of your time chasing me around Roadfood just to spew your ineffective and uncreative venom. I know that you can't handle the things I post here, but aren't you embarrassed knowing that people are actually reading the things you write?
dreamzpainter
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/11 14:29:46
quote:

Well, I guess everyone I knew must have been gluttonous because everyone I knew, from kids to grandparents, ate just about the same thing on every visit to Jimmys of Savin Rock. As to curmudgeonly pedant, tiresome or not, I would never refer to you as porkbutt despite the obvious fact that it speaks to where your alleged brains reside.

There is one thing that puzzles me. What is it that causes you to have a life so empty that you spend so much of your time chasing me around Roadfood just to spew your ineffective and uncreative venom. I know that you can't handle the things I post here, but aren't you embarrassed knowing that people are actually reading the things you write?
LMAO^5
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/11 15:32:25
quote:

quote:

[|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)][|)]
dreamzpainter
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/12 11:50:18
I'm in the totally opposite camp from porkbeak. I don't understand how a person can eat like a bird and survive. Although my intake has declined as the waist line increased there was a time when lunch was 3 quarter pounders, large fries, a shake and a coke, a large pizza with the works would disappear along with a 2liter of soda, an all you can eat buffet was 3hrs of heaven.. But that was then, now a sackfull of krystals may have a few left after Im finished, a couple of dogs and burgers at a cookout and Im layin back relaxin. It's not gluttony when your well over 6' and 200+.....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/12 12:21:26
Well, when I was a kid I was growing, and when I stopped growing I still had to fuel a 5"10, 195-pound body that was used for football and hockey. These days I don't eat anywhere near as much. Not that I wouldn't like to. Whereas in the past I'd eat a whole sackfull of White Castles, nowadays I get filled up on just six of them. And, where I used to eat a three-pound porterhouse (just as my grandson does now), these days a 16-ounce strip is my limit. Ah, but I remember the breakfasts when I was playing ball, and especially at the training table in college. Half a dozen eggs, half a pound of bacon, a bunch of sausage, potatoes, pancakes, oatmeal, toast and/or biscuits, along with juice, coffee and milk. Those days are gone forever, and so is my 32-inch waistline. And it's only partly because I couldn't afford it today.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/18 01:21:04
You might consider serving Onion Straws.
Onion Straws are like very thin stringy crisp onion ring-strips and are fine for packing with a dog into it's box ... or as a separate side.

Take onions, slice them fairly thin on a (deli) slicer and then manually separate each ring - retain only rings that are approx 2" across or larger for straws ... and then, pull each ring apart as well, so it becomes a strip (manually with your fingers ... not with a knife)
Put the onions in a ventilated tub (lexan etc) and let sit in the walk-in for 2 full days to weep.
On the third day they are ready to use.
Make a well combined egg wash with eggs and milk.

When you have some to sell - or are backing up some to sell very soon ...
Put a handfull (etc) of the onions in the eggwash, then allow to drain for a minute (a chinois works good for letting them drain) then, dump them into a fry basket that is in a tub of (regular) flour; cover with flour and shake basket to sift the flour thru the onions - coating completely. Transfer them from the flour basket to a fry basket that is being used in the fryer ...
Immediately lower into the deep fryer and keep some cooks tongs at hand to turn the straws in the basket as they cook and to keep them separated. They cook in about 3 minutes so you have to watch them closely. Drain briefly, transfer to a hotel pan under the heat lamps and dash with a little salt.

Alternately you can fry the straws in a smaller fry basket - not separating them, and using a second basket as a weight on top, to produce an onion 'brick'.

These would make an awesome addition to dogs.
Fieldthistle
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/02/18 02:11:32
Hello All,
Sonny Funzio, what a refreshing, good idea!
Thank you!
Take Care,
Fieldthistle
dirtdog58
Junior Burger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/09/16 21:43:52
onion ring's
ashd8516
Junior Burger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/09/30 02:50:36
French fries were my first idea but onion rings are also a good choice. Tony Packo's, which is a N.W. ohio favorite offers both macaroni and cheese and a german potato salad as sides. They both go surprisingly well with a chili dog. If you want to offer potato salad or cole slaw, try to make with a really good recipe. I often find most cole slaws and potato salads to be disappointing.
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/09/30 03:03:53
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan

Everybody loves fries. Ever heard anyone say "I hate french fries?"

Good profit margin on em too.

I can't say that I hate fries but I can say that I hate the ubiquity of fries and that they are served with just about everything these days. I'm tired of 'em myself and seldom order them.

To me the only appropriate sides for a dog are:

1. Another dog
2. Chili Pie
3. a bag of Fritos

Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/09/30 08:02:57
I really enjoy the bright green relish that seems to be available only in the Chicago/Milwaukee area.

For some reason, the taste is far better than any relish I have bought. It is not available in the East Tennessee area.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
fabulousoyster
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/09/30 14:08:16
Potato Chips, Macaroni and Cheese.
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/10/04 04:34:29
jalapenos!
doggydaddy
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/10/04 08:05:11

====Originally I was against french fries, I worked in kitchens enough to know about the excess heat, burns, slippery floors, greased up exhausts and equipment and the hastle of cleaning the friolators. After much deliberation I feel I would lose alot of business by not offering fries.====

It seems that some sort of deep fried offerings are essential. The two items being fries and for me, onion rings. I love those rings... How about Tater Tots?? Home fries as an alternative to potato salad? Ketchup is a great topping for those.
One item that hasn't been suggested for this topic, but many times elsewhere is a good chili...

I am currently working at a popular little place with three small fryers along with a charcoal grill. One fryer is fairly constant with fries cooking away and the other two are used for other menu items. But frankly, these fryers are quite small and for me very easy to clean as they are lifted out and strained through a fiber filter. But yes, one should be careful about splashing.

Get solid mats that cover the whole floor and can be hosed off outside. Do not worry about grease on the walls or even the vents as those dogs will create enough of a mess on their own and the most important thing is to maintain a clean appearance. Create and follow a cleaning schedule and the mess won't get ahead of you.

mark
Big Ugly Mich
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/10/23 09:57:56
quote:
Originally posted by Michael HoffmanHeck, all you need to eat sides of fried clams, lobster rolls and raw clams are fingers and a mouth.

Maybe so, but there are places that offer those as the draw. If I've got an appetite for that, I'll go to them and get that without a hot dog. If I don't have to get gussied up to have a snack.
Rustywolf
Cheeseburger
RE: Sides for hot dogs 2006/10/23 13:10:49
Here are two side dishes for a "dog dinner" that we often serve:

1) Hot sweetened red cabbage with caraway and apples. You can usually find this delicacy in the ethnic food aisle of your store. Just heat it up from the jar.

2) Pierogis. These are like the Jewish kreplach, onion-and-sometimes mushroom filled dumplings. These come frozen, but the trick is not to heat them in the oven or microwave, but to steam them over boiling water on the stove until they get soft and heated through.

3) The dogs? ALWAYS Boar's Head beef dogs w/natural casings, grilled on a butter-smeared griddle surface.

4) The muustard? Hebrew National Deli Mustard.

5) The relish? B&G Emerald Green.

- Rusty