soda costs breakdown

bassrocker4u2
  • Total Posts : 534
  • Reward points : 0
soda costs breakdown - Wed, 02/8/06 8:10 AM
have any of you actually sat down and did a break down on cost of a glass of soda? i think it sill alarm you. i did yesterday, and thought it best to post my results for all to see and compare....

5 gallon bib coke cost 50.00 ( this part will vary slightly)
5 gallons = 640ounces = 7.8c/ounce syrup

22 ounce glass of soda(my serving size) contains appr 15 oz liquid.
according to the brix cup.....5/1 ratio means 3 oz syrup, 12 oz co2
so.......... 3 oz syrup = .23c
ice, co2 = .02
lid/cup/straw = .05 ( i broke down each cost)
----
totalcost for glass of soda = .30
(average)add one refill..........23
---
53 divided by 125(price charged)% ==== 42.4% food cost!!!

think twice before allowing employees to have free soda!

ok...now lets break down iced tea........

96 tea bags cost 22.75
.24 per bag
4 bags per batch = .25c( yeilds 2.5 gallon)
10 lb sugar = 4.29(sams)
2 cups = one pound, 4 cups in one batch= .43x2=.86c
+.96
-----
1.82 cost per 2.5 gallon batch

(one glass) tea .08
lid/strw/cup/ice .06
-----
refill .08
------
.24c 19.2% food cost

thats it.....
i hope this helps some of you.....

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 02/8/06 9:53 AM
hmm, my first instinct is to comment on the amount of time you have, but thats why you are a food professional and I am not.

Still as a professional food consumer, I cant help but have visions of restaurant owners looking for ways to save some nickels in the back, while their emplyoees deal with a lot more in terms of time, money, and sanity in the front of the house.

Bottom line, let them have their damn soda if they want. They produce a lot more for you than soda does.

I dont order soda in a restaurant for a number of reasons, not least of which I would prefer to have some booze or wine. Whats the breakdown for you on that one? Not being snide, just curious how the costs breakdown for a mixed drink.

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 02/8/06 10:10 AM
Im hoping those 4 teabags are monster size!

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 02/8/06 10:52 AM
One tea bag per gallon is what I use.

The Travelin Man
  • Total Posts : 3698
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 02/8/06 12:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Slick

I am guessing that with that amount of sugar, one might need stronger tea!

Also, are you using those oversized (family-sized) tea bags? That would seem to make more sense to me, no?

nvb
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 02/8/06 2:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
Originally posted by Slick

I am guessing that with that amount of sugar, one might need stronger tea!

Also, are you using those oversized (family-sized) tea bags? That would seem to make more sense to me, no?

Yes, I use the larger size (1 oz. bag) and when I sweeten the gallon I use two cups of sugar. I hate tea that I can see through and so do my customers.

morningglory
  • Total Posts : 559
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 02/8/06 10:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Im hoping those 4 teabags are monster size!

I should probably refrain from commenting here, because I am not a restaurant professional, HOWEVER, from one who loves her (unsweetened tea) and drinks a lot of it, I can say this: I use those large tea bags (look like 3 in. by 3 in., maybe larger) sold at Costco.

I used to fuss with sun tea, or brew it on the stove. No more. I take one of those bags, throw it in a gallon of water, put it in the fridge, and a few hours later it is clear, and refreshing iced tea, or which I always get many compliments, and questions as to how I "brew" such great tea.

I am a northern gal, from NJ originally, so I may use some artificial sweetener, but not much, but always fresh lemons from my trees, or mint, which are available all year long, out here in CA. YUMMM DELICIOUS and very refreshing, inexpensive, and lots of anti-oxidents.

Needless to say, I rarely buy "soda" in a restaurant. I burns me up to pay so much for really nothing, empty calories, and no food value. And, I would never pay $ 1.75 for iced tea, which I can make for pennies a glass.

Now, a decent glass of wine, from one of our wonderful wine producing areas......well, that is another story!

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 6:27 AM
I look at it this way, you can save a couple of pennies if you can use unwrapped straws and if there is a family dinning maybe they can share it, just a thought. Also you could consider charging extra for ice other people do. Let me know if Lincoln screams. Jim

bassrocker4u2
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 8:17 AM
my point was that a glass of soda, cost more to make than most people realize(including professionals....[the intended readers]).
the tea bag in question is industrial size.....one ounce/one gallon
like slick, i use 4 ounce to make 2.5-3.0 gallon and two cups(one pound) of sugar per gallon. we also offer un-sweet tea, but i refuse to buy lemons at their inflated price. if i only had a tree, like
morningglory....
the point of the thread was intended to those who understand the relationship of food cost variables to the actual profitablilty of the establishment. or... 'the bottom line'
most people dont understand that something as simple as a penny per serving, can mean the difference between taking home a pay check, and borrowing from the bank!
i was hoping that some other professionals would post comparison numbers. one major difference i have learned so far, is the huge price variation charged for the bib. i think some of us are getting gouged pretty bad. a collegue informed me yesterday that they pay 33.95 for the same bib i pay 49.95 for.
that makes a monsterous difference in food cost for soda!
other factors would be the cup lid strw price.
anybody with numbers?

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 9:42 AM
Excellent piece. My profs from Babcock would be pround of your presentation. Wonderful, thank you.

nvb
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 10:37 AM
I just went through my costs on Coke, the brand.
63.80 BIB (went up the first of the year from 57.30)
19.00 Co2
Wrapped Jumbo Straw .02
Slotted lid .01
16 oz styro cup .015

To make myself clear on my earlier predicted cost of .05 per cup; That was before the BIB price went up and that was the tech explaining with a glass of ice in the cup. So, my statement was made with conditions I didn't explain.

nvb
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 10:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by pdxyyz

The joys of working with the soda industry monopoly. Yes you can buy Coke or Pepsi, but you have to buy it from the local bottler at their price. And switching to the other brand can hurt your business.

I can buy mine from Sam's Club or my food supplier at a cheaper price, but they won't service my mixer. If I pay the higher price from Coke they will service it free of charge. A service charge from Coke will krinkle your panties.

dogmeat
  • Total Posts : 113
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 11:24 AM
Nice job bassrocker4u2 (good name also)on breaking out the numbers, I try to do that once a year or so on every menu item. Sonjaab is pointing out the "realized cost" of these products in what their price point actually is going out the door.

After looking at my last coke order ( don't forget the $16 CO2 cylinders to drive the machines with a $75 cylinder deposit,we keep 5) it appears that I am paying about the same as Sam's sells the bib for.
Coke delivers every other week and i think our minimum is $250 or $300. They did install our machines and we get billed monthly for that, but the purchases usually offset the charge and I am not forced into going to Sam's.

We use glassware but most of our customers at lunch take a cup with them. I'm sure that with breakage and "washing" the cost of the glassware is greater than the cup/cover/straw.

We brew tea twice a day and brew Colombian coffee every 20 minutes or so when we are busy.

Renfrew, if you have thirty or so employees a shift, the numbers can grow quickly. For example, if we use the .53 drink figure with thirty employees we have a "conservative" figure of almost $16 cost per night! That figure just wiped out $48 worth of RETAIL business assuming that everything went out portioned and was not returned! I am the person in charge of the business that "employs" these people and knowledge of these figures will ensure their continued employment.

I have an invoice in front of me for produce - 200 count limes were $58 !!! If it gets any worse than this I'll be tying spyderwire around lime wedges and dunking them into drinks, temporarily!

Pennies are what you used to pay for gas.

renfrew
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 11:30 AM
Yes I should have known better than to respond on this topic. It seems cheap to me the consumer. I understand your reasons, I just feel that with the abuse that most servers have to bear, the free soda should be a non-issue. Thats my opinion.

I would be interested in seeing a cost breakdown of alcoholic beverages, such as mixed drinks. Anyone on here ever do that?

dogmeat
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 1:06 PM
What exactly are the abuses these servers endure and who is abusing them?

tmiles
  • Total Posts : 1908
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 3:26 PM
An owner that I know switched to 2L plastic bottles years ago to protest a price increase. He stocks up when they are 59 or 69 Cents each. It has been some time since we talked about it so I don't know if he still does it.

Burgerman1
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 3:52 PM
bassrocker...i've either read your post wrong but those figures don't seem to be correct.

5-gallon yield of sweetned ice tea will cost $1.93 using,

5-gallon tea bag (.82)
Sugar (1.06)
Water (.05)

A 16oz Cup will have .02 tea, .03 cup, .01 straw, .02 lemon for an .08 total cost. With a retail of $1.12 that is a 92.7% markup.

A 32oz Cup wil lhave a total cost of .14 and a retail of $1.69 and a markup of 92.4%

Howard

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/9/06 5:27 PM
Having spent my time at a B school and learned a proper respect for costing and business plans, these are items needed today. I however follow my father's teachings in running a business.

Pay people very well w/ huge incentives on the end, full insurance, great respect on the job, let them make mistakes, and profit sharing. They don't fit in? They're gone faster than the Nova Lox at a buffet. It has made all his and my companies successful.

Price things on the high end but keep their quality in the same place. Never apoligize for your success...flaunt it. No one wants to do business w/ an unsuccessful bussinessman.

When he was still kicking one of the customers made a somewhat joking comment about his car (he had a sign in front of his parking spot "The OWNER parks here, not you") being too nice for a restaurant owner. Dad just looked at him (Dad was 6'4", a ex-Navy Commander, Aviator and decorated WWII vet), smiled and quietly told him he appreciated his business but needed more of it as his Jag needed new tires. The guy just would'nt let it drop. He kept ragging Dad about the Jag. It ended w/ Dad asking the guy to come back the next weekend (the front end was getting packed and this guy was snockered) for a free drink or two. My Mom knew something was wrong when Dad was smiling but NOT laughing. The guy got his revenge but not in the way he hoped. Dad bought a Carolina blue (MB called it something else but it WAS Carolina blue) Mercedes 6.9 the next day. God that car was beautiful and FAST!!!! About 275 hp in a two door Benz.

Next weekend...

"What happened to the Jag?"

"British crap and the ash tray was full, my boy likes German stuff so we gave them a try (I was a busboy at the time)" Wish we hadn't sold that car but everything is for sale around here just not on sale.

Dad could tell you to the penny the variable and fixed costs on each item we sold. He worked w/ the chef to offer the freshest and cheapest items available. We served organ meats and chicken in a white table cloth joint when no one else did so. He charged premium prices no matter how cheap he got the materials. His biggest cut to someone was "He buys his suits off the rack".

Regarding the on going thread about water...my Dad would repeat WC Field's comment about water, even though each diner got a small glass of it, if that was their only beverage choice. Different time and different economy...he's been gone for over thirty years. Not a day goes by I don't miss Himself.

bassrocker4u2
RE: soda costs breakdown - Fri, 02/10/06 8:09 AM
awesome imput from everyone! thanks for the comparisons. burgerman, great price on your tea!
i buy the cups and lids from sams. soda, i buy from us food. they bring it to me for 5 bucks less than sams. co2, $21.50 and i have to travel 10 miles to get it.
i like the idea of someone breaking down mixed drinks.....
as far as lemons.....we should all 86 'em! then all of us plant our own lemon tree in the back..... sad part is the poor farmer gets almost nothing for his lemons...
more soda imput., all my soda equipment is mine, not coke. that free me up to buy whereever whenever i want, but like yousaid about service...well, lets just say i learned how to troubleshoot and repair real fast! one day, soda was spraying everywhere(right in the middle of dinner rush!). without precious knowledge of what to do, i cut off everything! pump, co2, fountain. of course syrup kept spraying until all the lines were empty. i found schematic (on line), and a company that sells parts. ended up that the head valve had a pin hole(common). the moral of the story is... if your soda is spraying everywhere, you dont have to cut off everything.... simply look at the back top of the soda head(fountain type with lever)
there are two flat white plastic pieces. they are the control valves for the co2 and the syrup. shut them off. then you can pop up the pin, and pull the head off. this works great for cleaning, too. if your lever is sticking, wont shut off when you let go, take off the head and run under warm water.
or just call coke...heehee

v960.......love the story!!!

bassrocker4u2
RE: soda costs breakdown - Sat, 02/11/06 7:24 AM
thanks for the vodka breakdown. i always wondered about bar prices.
as for the soda being post or premix? the key is in the formula i used.. when i called syrup a bib. thats short for bag in box. only post mix can do that...
peace..

Burgerman1
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: soda costs breakdown - Sat, 02/11/06 7:54 PM
Bassrocker...you have an error in your soda calculations.

When you say a 5:1 mixture, you have 2.5 ounces per 15 ounces of liquid, not 3. There are 6 parts not 5, therefore 15 divided by 6 = 2.5, or 2.5 ounces of syrup to 12.5 ounces of water.

Therefore your cost for syrup is .195 for a 22 ounce cup.

I also believe that you are far to cheap, a 22oz drink with refills should be at least a $1.59 to $1.79. Check your competition.

HB

bassrocker4u2
RE: soda costs breakdown - Sun, 02/12/06 8:05 AM
thanks, burgerman, for pointing out the error in my math. i must be getting old, to miss such an easy one...
with your new numbers, food cost changed ot 40.0 for soda. better, but still too high. maybe we should all make our own brand....
our price is low, yes. that will be on the next menu change. we recently changed our side dishes, bumped up a quarter. that generated alot of extra soda pop money...lol
sonjaab, thanks, i didnt realize cannisters wre still in use, today. brings back horrific memories....changing them out, pooring the dredges into the next one... getting all sticky....while folks waited impatiently....
if i had it all to do over again, i would sell cans or plastic bottles(most preferred by customers)

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Sun, 02/12/06 8:39 AM
I was joking w/ a guy who owns and runs two VERY small hamburger and hot dog shops in piedmont NC. No tables, one of the places has no counters, and no fountain drinks. This guy runs places that are simplicity in stone.

Cheeseburgers, hot dogs, bagged chips (vendor does the stocking and only profit is to be seen) and a cooler full of sodas. He has bottled water but if you just want water he hands you a cup and points to the water cooler.

Huge assortment (100 plus) of hot sauces for the dogs is his only bow to nice nice. His business formula reduces his worry, increases his profits to awesome levels, he works less (lunch hours only) and has made more money than God.

He puts covered straws, cups, napkins, lighting and basically everything in his fixed cost column. His variables are only in what is physically handed to a customer. A bit strange but w/ his limited offerings it works.

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
RE: soda costs breakdown - Sun, 02/12/06 10:09 AM
My sons ages 13 and 17 drink alot of soda at home and anywhere else they can get it, as long as it is in cans or bottles, they swear that places that sell soda from despensers water it down!

And alot of their friends think this way too, at least in my area, establishments are loosing alot of business by not selling soda in cans or bottles.

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Sun, 02/12/06 11:47 AM
I "cured" my daughters of soda consumption by taking a large iron nail and putting it in the soda bottle. Twelve hours later it was GONE. Phosphoric acid is pretty nasty stuff.

Xfireguy
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: soda costs breakdown - Mon, 02/13/06 8:51 AM
I can't believe you actually said think twice about allowing your employees free soda!! You must be one of those bosses that has a high turnover rate and says "i don't know why my employees are so horrible, I'm a great boss" If you can't afford to take care of your employees by giving them some freebies for their hard work you shouldn't own a business. Just my opinion..take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

dogmeat
RE: soda costs breakdown - Mon, 02/13/06 9:13 AM
Great information everyone, got out a (choke) bill and checked out the juice situation. For a 2.5 Gal cranberry for the guns, $56.00 !!!
Shots are one thing but how about a 16 oz vodka/cranberry/lime? We use minis (5oz) pineapple/apple/grapefruit/ fresh o.j.(Florida o.j. in gallons)and bloody mary mix in 750's.

My current coke 5 gal prices were discounted(?) to $58.43 and the smaller 2.5 gal (rootbeer/lemonade/ginger ale) were $30.06.

On another note it looks like we paid $10.68 per $1000 for liquor liability insurance. Our main general liability insurance was around
$8 per thousand for restaurants that have table service with alcohol sales at less than 30% of volume.

We have our machines turned up for a stronger flavor so we are probably using more syrup but it's what people like.

Great website bassrocker4u2 and what a great stuffed potato!! I'm going to have to give that one a try. Are all of your fries smoked and are you cutting them by hand or a machine? I'm headed to Savanhah in a couple of weeks to see some friends, I'll be headed to Coffee Bluff BBQ! Byron

renfrew
RE: soda costs breakdown - Mon, 02/13/06 3:00 PM
Thanks for the costing of a mixed drink. I imagine squeezing fresh citrus juices increases the price too.

As for beer, a lot of brewerys I have frequented seem to deliberately let the beer spill over. Is there a reason for that?

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: soda costs breakdown - Tue, 02/14/06 7:39 AM
Look you people have to understand that you are in the food SERVICE industry. The coustomer that comes thru that door of yours is your bread and butter! You might want to take a page from V960s father's business savy and consider the overall large picture. I can understand the need to control your food costs but when you start to scumbadee on your product or portions it will end up costing you in the long run. There are items on the menu that bring huge returns on your dollar and others not as much but in the end it all comes out to your overall food cost, thats the bottom line you should be looking at. Chow Jim

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Tue, 02/14/06 8:31 AM
Renfrew,
You spill the beer because it looks good. The customer likes it and wants to come back or order more. Short fill a beer mug and the beer can be half the price the place next door but the guy next door will get the business. The Europeans solved this problem in two ways, the beer is good and they make the glasses w/ line to show a full fill.

Chow Jim,
At least one person got the point. This business requires cost and portion control but if taken too far the quality or more importantly the perception by the customer of the delivered product suffers. A poor experience (food, service, cigarette smoke or even a dirty fork) in a restaurant is long remembered but an extra 20% in cost is forgotten by the next morning.

Today is the WORST day for restaurants. Idiots who eat out a few times a year will stiff the wait staff, complain about short fills, pee on the rest room floor (I guess as a protest, never figured this one out but it happened every 14 Feb) and in general make you have a few after hours.

I will make my wonderful garlic shrimp in a cream sauce over pasta w/ roasted garlic butter bread tonight. I wouldn't even consider bothering my friends who own restaurants tonight. We will hear the stories of the jerks and jerkeets who visited their places for the first time tonight and demanded to be treated like the royal family.

garryd451
  • Total Posts : 699
RE: soda costs breakdown - Tue, 02/14/06 8:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jimeats

Look you people have to understand that you are in the food SERVICE industry. The coustomer that comes thru that door of yours is your bread and butter! You might want to take a page from V960s father's business savy and consider the overall large picture. I can understand the need to control your food costs but when you start to scumbadee on your product or portions it will end up costing you in the long run. There are items on the menu that bring huge returns on your dollar and others not as much but in the end it all comes out to your overall food cost, thats the bottom line you should be looking at. Chow Jim

You are so right!!!! We got a DUMMY in out town who bought a thriving hometown cafr, He start cutting down portions and rasing the prices at the same time. He lost alot of Businees, so what did the idiolt do, He added upscale meals that you would find in a Steak House. That didn't work, so guess what the idiolt is doing now, He bought another same type of thriving place dowtown and He is ruining it the same way. He told people He hopes by having two places He can get his income back up to what his income was at his first place, when he bought it!!
What a DUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Tue, 02/14/06 9:49 AM
Pdxyyzz, (curious handle, is there a story behind it?)

There are many ways to sell food. My family was the low end of white table cloth in minor markets. In effect becoming the high end of that local market. Selling sausage biscuits at breakfast was not our thing.

Our family's concept has always been charge a top price and increase your margins by lowering costs. Quality was always on the top. Someone mentioned small cans of juice. Never in our places. ALL juice was fresh and all citrus was hand cut that day. Added costs? Yes, but also put us over the top in the geogrsphic area for quality.

You need to know a soft drink costs 48 cents out of the tap (not a delivered cost but something to work w/) but what does that mean to the selling price? If it cost 38 cents are you going to charge less? You charge $1.25 or $1.50 or whatever even if it costs you 68 cents.

Your service to the customer is THE most important item in your store. A happy camper will come back even if the sausage biscuit costs an extra 75 cents. Make the biscuits fresh each morning (not frozen crap, it's really cheaper in the long run), have Grandma behind the counter, put up a sign that the sausage came from a local farmer, have mustard and hot sauce out free service (NOT packets!!!), and SMILE.

I'm sitting here blowing time. One of my guys is sitting on the side of I-85 w/ a blown ????. This is turning into a crap day. At least I'm not digging out from under a few feet of snow.

Hey, since I'm wasting time I just remembered a funny incident w/ my Dad. I was put in charge of the bar. I watched the bartender cutting lemons and limes and told him he was cutting them too thin. "your Dad told me to do it this way"

"Am I in charge of the bar or not?? I asked my Dad. "This is my store and I tell them how thin they get cut" was his reply.

I worked at the competitor a few miles away for a week or so until my Dad showed up at my house w/ an apron embroidered w/ "THE BAR BOSS". This whole day is going to be toast. Fried spam w/ cheese on biscuits for breakfast...good thing I run thirty miles a week.

rhg23
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: soda costs breakdown - Tue, 02/14/06 1:19 PM
BEING IN THE RESTAURANT INDUSTRY FOR A LONG TIME, I HAVE SEEN VARIOUS WAYS TO KEEP BEVERAGE COSTS DOWN. THE SERVERS IN MY RESTAURANT USE 4 OUNCE CONE CUPS WHILE THEY ARE IN THE DINING ROOM. A) TO REDUCE CLUTTER IN THE WAIT AREA AND B) TO ENSURE LESS WASTE DUE TO FILLING 3-32 OUNCE TO GO CUPS DURING A FULL SHIFT. AS FOR THE KITCHEN CREW, A 32 OUNCE TO GO CUP IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE KITCHEN, WE HAVE KID TO GO CUPS THAT ARE 12 OUNCE IN SIZE THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE IN THE KITCHEN. AS PER MY D.O. OUR N/A BEVERAGE COST MUST STAY BELOW A 1.0%. IN OTHER KITCHENS I HAVE WORKED IN THE EXECUTIVE CHEF WOULD USE A TEA URN AND BEFORE EACH SHIFT WOULD MAKE KOOL-AID FOR THE ENTIRE STAFF TO ENJOY. JUST SOME SUGGESTIONS.

renfrew
RE: soda costs breakdown - Tue, 02/14/06 1:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by V960

Renfrew,
You spill the beer because it looks good. The customer likes it and wants to come back or order more. Short fill a beer mug and the beer can be half the price the place next door but the guy next door will get the business. The Europeans solved this problem in two ways, the beer is good and they make the glasses w/ line to show a full fill.

I know that trick, but at brewpubs it is seemingly done to get rid of the froth. I see it done not only for pints, also and pitcher and when they fill up the growlers to sell. that seems to go beyond just showing the customer.

Next time, I will have the frame of mind to ask the bartender...

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Tue, 02/14/06 1:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rhg23

IN OTHER KITCHENS I HAVE WORKED IN THE EXECUTIVE CHEF WOULD USE A TEA URN AND BEFORE EACH SHIFT WOULD MAKE KOOL-AID FOR THE ENTIRE STAFF TO ENJOY. JUST SOME SUGGESTIONS.

AHH...bug juice. We had to stop doing this after it got spiked w/ Everclear one night. Great night but it was kind of like the old joke about adverising execs.

Sign went up in the Ad execs wash room. All execs will drink gin martinis and not vodka martinis at lunch in the future so our clients will know you are drunk and not stupid.

bassrocker4u2
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/16/06 8:30 AM
thanks dogmeat, for the great numbers. looking foward to your visit. intro yourself, and i will give the old tour..heehee
thanks to all of you for your insite and opinions. many things to ponder.

The Travelin Man
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/16/06 9:21 AM
quote:

Pdxyyzz, (curious handle, is there a story behind it?)

My guess, without knowing the story, is that it involves the airport codes for both Portland, OR (PDX) and Toronto, ON (YYZ). Perhaps there was a move from one to the other at some point?

The Travelin Man
RE: soda costs breakdown - Thu, 02/16/06 10:47 AM
<--- blows breath on knuckles and gently wipes across shirt!

I am glad that I was right. If I wasn't I would start to think that I spend WAYYYYYY too much time in airports!

Steve
MLB/MCO

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Fri, 02/17/06 10:19 AM
Didn't recognize those codes. I basically stay on the east coast and Japan

Michael
CLT/KIX/GSO(terrible a/p but they have fares 75% less than CLT)

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: soda costs breakdown - Fri, 02/17/06 11:54 AM
Had to use this website to figure out those codes you boys are throwing around!

http://www.world-airport-codes.com/

KL (who stays away from ORD as much as possible)

The Travelin Man
RE: soda costs breakdown - Fri, 02/17/06 12:43 PM
I can admit that KIX gave me some trouble, too. For some reason, when I think of Japan's airports, I only think of NRT.

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Fri, 02/17/06 1:21 PM
Of all the Japanese a/p's listed I've only been to four. NGO, Nagoya (a true CHALLENGE for English only speakers); NRT, Narita, Tokoyo's a/p even though it is a hour away; ITM, Itami, Osaka's old intl a/p and now their domestic one; and KIX, Kansai, Osaka's new intl place. Kix is the man made island in the bay that is a relativelly small a/p but ultra modern. LUX, Luxembourg is the smallest intl a/p I ever went through...six gates? LuxAir is the national airline w/ one 747, two 737's and a few puddle jumpers. Their duty free shops are so cheap that many people fly through just to shop.

They could all learn something from AMS, Amsterdam's Schiphol a/p. A casino, diamond shops, and a super efficient train connection to the city. My favorite a/p anywhere.

trin
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: soda costs breakdown - Tue, 02/28/06 11:03 PM
Hey. I am an employee in a resturant that has decided to make us pay for our own drinks. Using the calculations in this thread, I can see where they are getting their numbers. They charge us $1.00 for our drinks. Our "at cost" cost would be .98 (with one refill). Makes sense to me.

Now, here is the issue I have. It's not about cost, it's about the principal. When these calculations were used, they incorporated food cost. Yeah. Everyone has them. Things go bad, mistakes are made, customers sometimes get free food, etc. I am not sure how all restaurants work, but in ours, we have food costs as well, but we mark things such as "mistakes" differently that the normal food cost. This is a preallotted amount of waste that we can have, and that is already added into the projected food cost. Anyway, I think you guys understand that more than I do.

In our store (during this time of the year) we make about sell about $9000 a week in product (That's only a guess, I don't always get to see the numbers - may be a little over or under, but from what I have seen, it is a pretty good ball park figure). If all the employees in an average day get a drink plus a refill, then that would be about $82.32 a week (at 12 employees a day). That's just under .09% of the sales for the week. What I would like to know (as an employee) is if giving us free pop was going to cost you .09% of your weekly sales, would we be worth it? Forget about how it adds into food costs, and just make it a known loss. Happy employees help make happy customers.

I think one of the most common comments I have heard from my GM and his staff is that "it is only pop." Yes, it is, but I can turn it around to them and say: "Yes, it IS only pop."

As for me and my concern on this issue, please don't think that I go around all day griping about this. It's just one other thing happening in the company lately that has been getting under my skin.

That is all...
trin

bassrocker4u2
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 03/1/06 7:30 AM
trin, is that a corporate rest? the numbers there are really tight. if food cost goes by the wasteside, so does the bonus for the gm and the km. cutting sodas is kinda like a punishment that could be reversed if all numbers were met. there must be alot of waste due to mistakes, improper rotation, employee eating, and over portioning, for a gm to cut free soda from the staff. i think if you all want to get back in the good graces of the gm, show some numbers!
also think about this. the bottom line profit for a big place like that is usually no more than 5-15 percent. so ever nickle and dime matters. thats why they make you scrape out pans with rubber spats, and squeeze out every little drop from sauce bags, e.t.c.
another tip that most palces dont do, is the dish washer. i had instructed my staff not to run single items through the machine, but to only run it when fully loaded. this will save tons of money.

you guys should get together and buy a bunch of 2 liters. stick them in the fridge, and have all the soda you want.... cheap enough..
and the manager will be impressed with your 'onboard attitude'

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2201
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 03/1/06 12:36 PM
quote:

I "cured" my daughters of soda consumption by taking a large iron nail and putting it in the soda bottle. Twelve hours later it was GONE. Phosphoric acid is pretty nasty stuff.

What did the heck did you put in the soda bottle? I assume it wasn't Coca~Cola. pb
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

drsmoke02
  • Total Posts : 250
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 03/1/06 2:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by pdxyyz

quote:
Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

i was hoping that some other professionals would post comparison numbers. one major difference i have learned so far, is the huge price variation charged for the bib. i think some of us are getting gouged pretty bad. a collegue informed me yesterday that they pay 33.95 for the same bib i pay 49.95 for.
that makes a monsterous difference in food cost for soda!
other factors would be the cup lid strw price.
anybody with numbers?

I use coke products,i charge 1.49 16 oz.,free refills,sweet tea 1.79. i don't buy my bibs from coke,i can get them cheaper from one of my local suppliers,no not sysco.

The joys of working with the soda industry monopoly. Yes you can buy Coke or Pepsi, but you have to buy it from the local bottler at their price. And switching to the other brand can hurt your business.

drsmoke02
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 03/1/06 2:18 PM
Somehow i keep screwing up the ""quote" deal,in the above i said, iue coke products,etc.

drsmoke02
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 03/1/06 2:20 PM
make that i use.

V960
RE: soda costs breakdown - Wed, 03/1/06 4:01 PM
Porkbeaks,
Try the nail thing w/ coke. I haven't done it in ten years and haven't had a coke in thirty. Cheerwine about once a month is my soda limit. New meds seem to upset my stomach and a Cheerwine settles it.

Cheerwine is a strange company in that all their products are formulated w/ HFCS EXCEPT the 12 oz bottle which uses cane sugar. We keep those in the frig all the time.