Potato Salad

Post
2006/02/10 09:08:32



Does any on know where I can get good Potatoe Sala and
not the packaged kind. I'm in the Detroit area, but will
travel to eat great potatoe salad. Joe
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/10 11:35:15
Are you looking for potato salad or the Dan Quail version called potatoe salad... Sorry I couldn't help myself.
BearHit
Hamburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/10 11:39:13
First of all - it must be GERMAN po-sal if it has to be GOOD!

It's all about the VINEGAR...

Howard Baratz
Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/10 16:30:54
quote:
Originally posted by dgschroeder

Are you looking for potato salad or the Dan Quail version called potatoe salad... Sorry I couldn't help myself.


dg,

I couldn't help myself either. You misspelled Quayle, unless you were looking for a small game bird instead of an ex-Vice President.
NebGuy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/10 16:46:04
quote:
Originally posted by Howard Baratz

quote:
Originally posted by dgschroeder

Are you looking for potato salad or the Dan Quail version called potatoe salad... Sorry I couldn't help myself.


dg,

I couldn't help myself either. You misspelled Quayle, unless you were looking for a small game bird instead of an ex-Vice President.


Your'e sharp Howard. Actually I spelled it that way because I wasn't making fun of the poster just having some fun. Anyways you caught me.
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/10 17:18:45


LOL,Sure.....DG
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/10 23:18:08
quote:
Originally posted by wolverine




Does any on know where I can get good Potatoe Salad and
not the packaged kind. I'm in the Detroit area, but will
travel to eat great potatoe salad. Joe

Maybe you might want to post this under the Regional-Where do I eat thread?
Tara
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/11 03:16:24
Of course, we must have a discussion to discern just what exactly constitutes good potato salad. I for one don't care for any mustard in mine.

In fact I am a strict constructionist when it comes to potato salad, Don't like any affectations. Just the basics, prepared with due diligence.

In its simplicity, the properly prepared potato salad is sublime.
The Bear
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/11 12:07:33
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Of course, we must have a discussion to discern just what exactly constitutes good potato salad. I for one don't care for any mustard in mine.

In fact I am a strict constructionist when it comes to potato salad, Don't like any affectations. Just the basics, prepared with due diligence.

In its simplicity, the properly prepared potato salad is sublime.
The Bear

Thats the way I feel about chicken salad, but the one thing I ALWAYS use in my potato salad are Yukon Gold potato's.
LegalLady
Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/11 12:39:43
At My House!
The Lady
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/11 14:20:32
bacon, bacon drippings, sweated onions and blucheese, makes for a potato salad few can resist...
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/11 17:48:20
Roosy,
Talk about great chicken salad. If you are ever near Middlebury, Vermont, go to Noonie's Deli in The Marbleworks (802-388-0014). I don't know her hours.

First thing I do after putting my stuff in the cabin whenever I get to Vermont, if I'm close by, is to go to Noonie's. She (Karen) makes great basic chicken salad. Get it on their good, thick bread...sourdough, rye, and, I think, honey wheat. I like the rye.
The Bear
roossy90
Sirloin
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/11 19:25:20
quote:
Originally posted by ScreenBear

Roosy,
Talk about great chicken salad. If you are ever near Middlebury, Vermont, go to Noonie's Deli in The Marbleworks (802-388-0014). I don't know her hours.

First thing I do after putting my stuff in the cabin whenever I get to Vermont, if I'm close by, is to go to Noonie's. She (Karen) makes great basic chicken salad. Get it on their good, thick bread...sourdough, rye, and, I think, honey wheat. I like the rye.
The Bear


I will see where it is, I have a couple days off before I move.
Tara
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/18 20:42:40
quote:
Originally posted by roossy90

Thats the way I feel about chicken salad, but the one thing I ALWAYS use in my potato salad are Yukon Gold potato's.


If I'm doing a nice job I use a baby potato cut in half, such as a baby yukon gold.

Really potato salad is so simple it's silly to buy the store bought version.

Just mayo, vinegar (white or cider) and sugar (or other sweetner) ... some like to put some yellow mustard in ... some add some hard boiled egg. Other ingedients added to taste are things like relish, chopped onion, various herbs, peas, capers, the list goes on and on ... lots of perfectly palatable possibilities.

Then, on the other hand, there is German potato salad (which was the main potato salad at my house when growing up) ... a whole different subject.
unalaskawoman
Hamburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/19 04:55:34
Dreamzpainter: I am revealing that I am still, while not a youngster, a novice cook in many respects, by asking: What are sweated onions? I'm imagining that it means sauteing them until they are just barely cooked? Am I even close?
dreamzpainter
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Potato Salad 2006/02/19 13:41:00
quote:
Originally posted by unalaskawoman

Dreamzpainter: I am revealing that I am still, while not a youngster, a novice cook in many respects, by asking: What are sweated onions? I'm imagining that it means sauteing them until they are just barely cooked? Am I even close?
A novice myself I used a term from some food show... Yes I take it to mean barely cooked, just to the point they wilt and the sweetness comes out. I've some times cooked the onions till just brown for this salad and it adds a totally different (but good) taste.