Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold?

Post
jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
2006/02/12 19:51:35
No,but her PR team should.By bailing on the Olympics with her "supposed" groin injury she's front page news world-wide.Best thing she's ever done.Pretty obvious.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/12 19:56:42
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

No,but her PR team should.By bailing on the Olympics with her "supposed" groin injury she's front page news world-wide.Best thing she's ever done.Pretty obvious.
I guess I am just not THAT cynical. I think she wanted a last chance at a Gold and pulled out when she realized she was not up to the challenge. There is no shame in that. Andre Agassi pulled out of the Australian Tennis Open and there was no thought of a publicity stunt.
jeepguy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/12 20:13:45
Michelle knows she's sub-par to the much younger solo skaters.I think this whole thing is fabricated.Yes i'm a cynic but watch her on the Letterman,Leno and Orca shows.Maybe even Larry King!Anyway,who cares really.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/12 20:49:29
I think she was talented and injured. Too bad that it occurred. I have watched her over the years. She was very good but obviously you cannot preform at that level with a groin injury.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Poverty Pete
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/12 21:43:50
The people who qualify should go to the Olympics. She didn't qualify.
Just because you're a prima donna doesn't mean you should be able to bump somebody else who otherwise would have qualified.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 00:38:26
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

The people who qualify should go to the Olympics. She didn't qualify.
Just because you're a prima donna doesn't mean you should be able to bump somebody else who otherwise would have qualified.

I agree. She didnt qualify, but yet sidelined one who did. My feelings are she realized (being a good sportsperson) and stepped back. Thus letting the person who earned the position to go forward and give it her best... Just my thoughts...
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 02:30:40
quote:
Poverty Pete Posted - 02/12/2006 : 21:43:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The people who qualify should go to the Olympics. She didn't qualify.
Just because you're a prima donna doesn't mean you should be able to bump somebody else who otherwise would have qualified.


Pete are you crazy?? talking like that about a female figure skater can get your knees cracked with a tire iron............. lets hope Tonya Harding did read this or you'll be in deep do do
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 04:51:06
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

The people who qualify should go to the Olympics. She didn't qualify.
Just because you're a prima donna doesn't mean you should be able to bump somebody else who otherwise would have qualified.


Very true, Michelle bumped a very talented young lady that placed 3rd in the try-outs a few weeks ago. At that time she was recovering from a groin injury. She then had a private tryout before the judges and got placed on this years team. Bumping the girl out of her chance to compete. Now she backs out? Shame on her!

MikeS.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 04:54:17
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
Poverty Pete Posted - 02/12/2006 : 21:43:50
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The people who qualify should go to the Olympics. She didn't qualify.
Just because you're a prima donna doesn't mean you should be able to bump somebody else who otherwise would have qualified.


Pete are you crazy?? talking like that about a female figure skater can get your knees cracked with a tire iron............. lets hope Tonya Harding did read this or you'll be in deep do do


Funny about this one is that Michelle got bumped by Nancy Kerigan the year that Nancy got tire ironed...

I met and had to deal with Nancy at an event several years ago, she really thinks that her fecal matter doesn't smell.

MikeS.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 10:34:08
I have to disagree with the sentiments that Michelle Kwan didn't qualify for the olympics.
She's been a world champion 5 times and, barring injury, is the best skater in the US. She is not the first person to get a medical relief into the olympics.

She has always wanted a gold. She didn't go to Torino for anything less. As the injury re-emerged, she realized a gold wan't likely, she met with officials and backed out. Emily ughes was named first alternate following Nationals, and should be ready to perform at her highest level since, as an alternate, she should have been training at her facility at home, as though she may skate.

This was no publicity stunt. And, in fact, the US Olympic Commitee was equally as sad that she had to pull out. The US Olympic Committee wanted her there.

As Americans, we should be feel bad for her for the fact that we are now not sending our best three skaters to compete. Hopefully, as we show our support for Emily Hughes she will rise to occasion and compete for a medal, and maybe follow her sister's footsteps and upset the competition by winning a gold.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 11:25:52
quote:
Originally posted by jeepguy

Orca shows.

what are the Orca Shows? I'll avoid the Keiko jokes.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 11:27:47
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I have to disagree with the sentiments that Michelle Kwan didn't qualify for the olympics.
She's been a world champion 5 times and, barring injury, is the best skater in the US. She is not the first person to get a medical relief into the olympics.


Dude...don't buy into another one of jeepguy's bizarre conspiracy theories:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10047
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7608

And, the now deleted, but truly twisted take on Elizabeth Vargas.

The guy sounds like he needs hours and hours of therapy.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 12:46:31
Shaun Alexander pulled the same crap in the Pro Bowl. Instead of stepping aside for another player, Alexander said he was a "game time" decision. He began hinting towards an injury earlier in the week He put the load on the other two NFC running backs to play in a game that nobody wants to play in.

But he did get to go to Hawaii and start talking to other players and teams in his free agent year.
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 16:03:56
Come on guys. Give the poor girl a break. She dedicated her life to winning that Gold.

As for those of you who are making the Oprah cracks, that's not very nice. Oprah is a great person and has helped many, many people over the years.

Play nice.
1bbqboy
Filet Mignon
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 17:53:08
I could see Oprah and Rachel Ray being best buds. Michelle too. Call it View 2.
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 18:00:48
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I have to disagree with the sentiments that Michelle Kwan didn't qualify for the olympics.
She's been a world champion 5 times and, barring injury, is the best skater in the US. She is not the first person to get a medical relief into the olympics.


Dude...don't buy into another one of jeepguy's bizarre conspiracy theories:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10047
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7608

And, the now deleted, but truly twisted take on Elizabeth Vargas.

The guy sounds like he needs hours and hours of therapy.



Steve--Thank you for posting that. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who remembered the various crack-pot theories that have been posted by this person. While his latest posting is not one of his conspiracy theories or one of his baseless accusations of criminal activity, it is certainly off-base.
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Did Michelle Kwan win a Gold? 2006/02/13 18:09:48
quote:
Originally posted by HotDogHead

Come on guys. Give the poor girl a break. She dedicated her life to winning that Gold.

As for those of you who are making the Oprah cracks, that's not very nice. Oprah is a great person and has helped many, many people over the years.

Play nice.


Oprah helps to her economic benefit. It's all part of the show. People like to make her out as a great humanitatian, and I suppose she is, although it's humanitarianism driven by the pursuit of profit.

The incidental is that people are helped through Oprah attaining her primary goals of power and financial reward. Nothing less.