Fried Potatoes

jdg68
  • Total Posts : 47
  • Reward points : 0
Fried Potatoes - Tue, 06/10/03 12:42 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I love to make a batch of pan-fried potatoes for breakfast/brunch. I just cut the potatoes in chunks (usually after partially cooking in the microwave first) and fry with a little oil, onions and fresh or dried chiles. Great leftover too. These can also turn into "refrigerator" potatoes too (adding leftovers to the batch-meats etc).

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Fried Potatoes - Tue, 06/10/03 4:06 AM
There's nothing that smells much better than a batch of potatoes frying up with onions and peppers~..mind you, I don't much care for the texture of onions and peppers, but I like the flavor they impart..

Add some garlic to that mix, and you've got a winner!

Bushie
  • Total Posts : 2902
RE: Fried Potatoes - Tue, 06/10/03 8:37 AM
And they work best in a cast-iron skillet!

One time in Silver Dollar City, I had some fried taters that were made with white potatoes AND sweet potatoes, with onions in there, too. They were absolutely incredible.

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Fried Potatoes - Tue, 06/10/03 10:56 AM
If you want the some to the taste an flavor of garlic without chunks of garlic in your potatoes, cut a clove of garlic in half and rub it all over your cold cast iron skillet before heating or adding oi1.

It works!

Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Fried Potatoes - Tue, 06/10/03 10:57 AM
I haver never tried the dried chilies. Sounds like a great idea! It will go into my next batch of "Della taters", which is what we always called fried potatoes as our great-aunt Della was known for her fried potatoes.

vinelady
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: Fried Potatoes - Wed, 06/11/03 2:37 PM
I like adding either fresh green chiles or fresh rosemary to mine fried potatoes.

BigGlenn
  • Total Posts : 461
RE: Fried Potatoes - Wed, 06/11/03 3:33 PM
I make the best fried taters ever. I like to actually fry up three eggs over easy and place two of them right on top of the taters. The other one is on the side for bread dipping. Add A great breakfast meat and Lets don't forget a good skillet of milk gravy and a big pan of biscuits............... MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM DAMN GOOD STUFF!

jdg68
RE: Fried Potatoes - Thu, 06/12/03 10:39 PM
I'll have to try the rosemary. I've got a huge rosemary bush that I planted several years ago (it's about three feet tall and four feet wide).

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Fried Potatoes - Thu, 06/12/03 11:03 PM
jdg

I'm jealous, I had a rosemary like that too, until this past winter, now it only has a couple of branches still alive. I'll have to go easy for a while, but I guess I should be grateful it made it through at all!!

jdg68
RE: Fried Potatoes - Fri, 06/13/03 9:12 AM
ocndreamr,

I have some other herbs (sage and thyme) that don't grow nearly as well. The rosemary is up against the house (concrete/stucco) facing sw; could also be the mild central Va winters too.

vinelady
  • Total Posts : 162
RE: Fried Potatoes - Fri, 06/13/03 1:44 PM
You guys can have a few of my rosemary bushes, the smallest is about 4 high and 5-6 wide. I have 6 of them. I have one that I literally chop off a branch or ten, just to keep it so it doesn't kill everthing around it. I can thank the Pacific Northwet for the prolific production.

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: Fried Potatoes - Fri, 06/13/03 2:37 PM
Here in Maryland we're just on the border of where they will live outside, in fact many of the nurseries will tell you not to leave them out all year. Mine had done beautifully for many years but we had a particularly bad year this year. It spent most of the winter covered in snow & ice. I am grateful it didn't die off completely but I won't have branches solid enough to use as skewers for shrimp on the grill this year.

Richard Brooks Alba
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Fried Potatoes - Fri, 06/13/03 2:49 PM
Favorite 'taters of my youth:
Very simply prepared potato skins! My aunt would peel a whole mess o' 'taters [not russets - I think these were red, in fact] in preparation for making fries for the rest of the family (our standard breakfast potatoes), then after the fries were done, she would fry up the peels just for us. Since we'd stay in the kitchen (for lack of seating for everyone), I got to use her commercial-sized salt & pepper shakers - with no parental interference on how I seasoned my 'taters!
Adding a sack of 'em to my shopping list,
Richard
Berkeley/SF, CA

paul and louise
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Fried Potatoes - Sun, 09/7/03 5:13 PM
lets talk country breakfast
hold the rosemary bout fry me up some garden taters
and lets let's have some bacon from the hogs raised on the farm
[i like to salt and pepper and set out while the taters are cookin',
then let it get in a skillet]
and how about those fresh brown eggs[double yolk if the hen's laid any
now from there you could do grits, or some green maters, or some pork shoulder steak---but you don't need anthing more than those taters and fresh bacon and eggs[store bought aint the same]

JimInKy
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Fried Potatoes - Fri, 12/26/03 9:08 AM

A dish I've been making for years is called Herb Fried Potatoes. Sliced potatoes are fried in butter with celery (especially the leaves and sprigs), onion, salt and sundry herbs. A great dish for the dinner table or one can have it as a single course meal. This is one of those dishes I found in a church ladies' cookbook.

Growing up, our breakfast table usually included fried potatoes, nicely browned in bacon drippings and well seasoned with salt. Potatoes prepared this way in my part of the world were very flavorful but never greasy. They were served this way at the dinner table too.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Fried Potatoes - Mon, 12/29/03 4:09 PM
My favorite is what my dad always used to call Raw-Fried Potatoes - paper thin slices of raw potatoes fried in bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. He added salt and pepper and lots of onion salt or added thinly sliced onions about halfway through the cooking.

Most diners around here feature something called Country Breakfast, which is potatoes fried with onions and sometimes green peppers. Then a couple of eggs are broken onto the potatotes and after a couple of minutes, the whole glob is turned over and cooked for a couple of minutes more. It's usually served with a side of meat and a piece of cherry or apple pie.

Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Fried Potatoes - Mon, 12/29/03 4:11 PM
For a "drunken potatoes" variation, use your favorite added ingredients, like garlic, rosemary or thyme. And while I know garlic oil or rosemary oli is cheating a bit, try it instead of olive oil or lard. Slice the potatoes very thinly and coat them. Salt & pepper, too. Then put them into the largest cast-iron pan you have (or use a baking pan), and splash on half a cup of white wine and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes until crisp around the edges.

Grampy
RE: Fried Potatoes - Mon, 12/29/03 4:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

quote:
Originally posted by Grampy

For a "drunken potatoes" variation, use your favorite added ingredients, like garlic, rosemary or thyme. And while I know garlic oil or rosemary oli is cheating a bit, try it instead of olive oil or lard. Slice the potatoes very thinly and coat them. Salt & pepper, too. Then put them into the largest cast-iron pan you have (or use a baking pan), and splash on half a cup of white wine and bake at 400 for about 30 minutes until crisp around the edges.

and you made fun of drunken chicken?

Do you prefer your chicken shaken or stirred? Woops, wrong thread!

Grampy
RE: Fried Potatoes - Mon, 12/29/03 5:35 PM
Chikitini? Whatever, it's a foul high ball.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13404
RE: Fried Potatoes - Mon, 12/29/03 6:57 PM
I will tell you how the Sundancer does it:

I take Idaho's and put them in the microwave for about 15 minutes, take them out and slice them every which way but loose.

I take at least two onions, preferably sweet, dice one whole bell pepper, dice two jalapenoes and put them in a pan with hot sausage or bacon grease. I salt the mess and add some ground pepper and I cook it on a lower heat. It takes a while but the result is better. If you are not careful, you will burn and if you do not turn frequently, it will not be pretty. I like it brown overall.

The result is a tasty mess that remains good even out of the frige at midnight.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

MissKitty
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: Fried Potatoes - Thu, 01/1/04 12:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by clothier

if you are going to pre-cook those taters, trying baking them instead of the microwave. You'll get a better texture, and better flavor.

Well to my way of thinking, if youre going to go that route you may as well go the whole whole hog and cut em up and roast them along with all the other vegetables and flavourings and goodies yu like in a pan of taters. Maybe Im just too powersaving-minded, but I'd only pre-bake for frying later if I already had a few dishes in the oven and there was space to squeeze a couple of spuds in.

I usually use leftover steamed potatoes and they taste just great.[:P]

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Fried Potatoes - Thu, 01/1/04 1:52 PM
Jeeezzz.. SUNDANCER... I was going to make Spaghetti with homemade sauce today... Just seen your post... Plans have now changed...