Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
  • Reward points : 0
Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Thu, 06/12/03 6:55 PM
I have been playing around with baked potatos for a while. I have seen them baked many different ways. Some restaurants stick nails in them, some just bake them and some screw them up.

I have been experimenting with ways to kick them up a notch (plagarizing Emeril). I have tried covereing them in oil, covering them with a pretty heavy layer of salt, covering that with dried onions, fresh onions, bell peppers, hot peppers and soul food seasoning and cooking them at 425 for about a hour.

I have been sorta pleased, but I would like to continue to improve and perhaps I could have some help on this delicous matter.

Thanks
Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Maynerd
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Thu, 06/12/03 11:08 PM
Sundancer7, I use Red or New potatos.I like the taste and texture better. You might want to experement with different varieties.
I cook mine in a 400 degree toaster oven ( don't want to heat up the whole house in the summer!) for about an hour using a metal rod in the center of the spud. I put a little olive oil on the skin. No foil. This makes the thinner skin of the red potato, which I eat, a little crunchy, just how I like it.
After an hour I squeeze the tater to be sure it's done. When done, I split it and add a healthy dose of fresh cracked pepper and olive oil. Add a few chives, some salt, and a little butter, and I'm in tater heaven. I sop up any butter/olive oil left over with the skin

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Fri, 06/13/03 7:07 AM
While I can't speak for the outside, I do have an award winning recipe for the inside of any potatoes you care to make..i've made them both with red and russets.. since I never measure, I'm guessing at the quantities...

Twice Baked Potato Poppers

8 medium baking potatoes, baked and split, with the insides scooped out, leaving a thin shell

1 package cream cheese
1 jar pimentos, drained
1 small can diced jalapenos,drained
6 TBSP or more of green Tabasco
2 cups pepper jack cheese
1/2 cup butter
Garlic, salt and pepper to taste

Mix ingredients together with potato pulp, pile back into shells and bake till golden and bubbly.

Julia I
  • Total Posts : 157
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Sat, 06/14/03 1:05 AM
I second Jennifer 4's vote for twice baked potatoes. While a perfectly-baked potato, unenhanced by anything other than butter, pepper, and sour cream (ok, and maybe salsa) is one of my all-time favorite foods, twice-baked potatoes are one example of gilding the lily that I heartily endorse. There are endless ways to spruce up the potato innards. The main trick is not to mix the ingredients together with the pulp too enthusiastically. You want a fluffy mixture to fill the empty potato shells, not a gluey one. Also, I have found that if I place the emptied out shells in the oven for a little while before filling them, they brown and crisp just a bit inside, making it easier to load in the filling and giving the shell of the final product a satisfying crunch.

Sundancer7
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Sat, 06/14/03 5:23 AM
Great hint Julia regarding putting the shells back in the over. I will do that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

carlton pierre
  • Total Posts : 2500
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Sun, 02/27/05 6:48 PM
I like some of the Q joints that serve Q on top of a baked tater. It's actually quite good that way.

GordonW
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Sun, 02/27/05 7:04 PM
My thing now is take russets, stab them all over with a fork so they can breath, oil and salt them, then bake unwrapped until the skin is crispy -- about an hour or so, at 400. Take good olive oil and a goodly amount of chopped garlic; while the potatos are cooking, put the oil and garlic in the microwave for about three minutes, just until the garlic starts to turn brown. Smash the cooked potatos -- a rough chop sort of thing -- then douse with the oil and garlic. Pepper and salt as necessary, a handful of chopped parsley. The crisp skin in a tasty contrast with the baked potato innards.

Pancho
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Sun, 02/27/05 7:44 PM
Here's a different, delicious twist for baked potatoes.

1 lb. box salt cod (bacalau)
Heavy Cream
2 sticks butter
1 chopped onion
4 Idaho potatoes
Cod must be soaked in fresh water for 24 hours.
Flush and change water periodically.
Cut cod in 1" chunks, saute in the butter with
chopped onion.
Add enough cream to make a gravy like consistency.
Simmer covered low heat for an hour or so. Cod will
break down into flakes.
Serve over a freshly baked and split Idaho potato.
Top with a little Old Bay, and I dare you to eat only one!
P.S. Do not add salt, as the cod is obviously very salty. Black pepper is fine.

nvb
  • Total Posts : 468
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Sun, 02/27/05 7:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by carlton pierre

I like some of the Q joints that serve Q on top of a baked tater. It's actually quite good that way.

Carlton, I serve them that way and it amazes me at some of the toppings people put on them. I guess the strangest was a guy that used sour cream, relish, dill pickle slices and BBQ sauce. Glad he sat in the back dining room.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17810
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Sun, 02/27/05 8:06 PM
My two favorite ways to bake potatoes involve campfires. One way is to wrap potatoes in foil and toss them into the coals. The other way is to not wrap them and toss them into the coals. With the foil you get to keep them in the coals longer. Without the foil you have to take them out when the skin is charred. Either way, the flavor is fantastic .

tkitna
  • Total Posts : 620
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 3:39 AM
I like to take a banana pepper out of the garden and cut it in half (long ways) and then make a slice in the potato, apply the pepper slice with onion and then wrap the potato and let it bake. Fantastic flavor and its not hot enough to bother really. just flavorable.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 6:59 AM
I do spuds the way my Mammy from Alabammy used to. I paint the Idahos with bacon grease then bake them.

RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2187
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 7:42 AM
Somtimes I scrub Idaho potatoes and run a skewer lengthwise through them about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. Then I make vertical cuts from the top of the potato to the skewer about every 1/4". Remove the skewer and fan them out a little bit, sprinkle with salt, pepper, some granulated garlic or whatever you want, then drizzle with melted butter or olive oil, put in a pan and bake.

dctourist
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 8:14 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho

Here's a different, delicious twist for baked potatoes.

1 lb. box salt cod (bacalau)
Heavy Cream
2 sticks butter
1 chopped onion
4 Idaho potatoes
Cod must be soaked in fresh water for 24 hours.
Flush and change water periodically.
Cut cod in 1" chunks, saute in the butter with
chopped onion.
Add enough cream to make a gravy like consistency.
Simmer covered low heat for an hour or so. Cod will
break down into flakes.
Serve over a freshly baked and split Idaho potato.
Top with a little Old Bay, and I dare you to eat only one!
P.S. Do not add salt, as the cod is obviously very salty. Black pepper is fine.

Pancho, you've described brandade de morue!
http://www.almanac.com/recipes/search/onerecipe.php?number=2506
Well, almost... that classic French recipe mashes the baked potato pulp with the cod and milk/cream, adds good, strong olive oil, and it's eaten with the leftover skins (and slices of bread to supplement)

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 9:59 AM
Paul,can you make a mini-pit in your back yard? If so,get some 'boulders'(Maine localism for huge baking potato's),put in bottom of pit,cover with charcoal,wood or whatever you have,let fire burn down(approx.3hrs),remove spuds(they should look completely black) and serve. this is how we did potato's when we skied at night. Butter is OK but I preferred just S+P..........best potato's I ever ate!!

garykg6
  • Total Posts : 358
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 10:01 AM
OOOPS,I just read Michaels post and it is identical,but please,no foil

Sundancer7
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 10:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

Paul,can you make a mini-pit in your back yard? If so,get some 'boulders'(Maine localism for huge baking potato's),put in bottom of pit,cover with charcoal,wood or whatever you have,let fire burn down(approx.3hrs),remove spuds(they should look completely black) and serve. this is how we did potato's when we skied at night. Butter is OK but I preferred just S+P..........best potato's I ever ate!!

That sounds really good. Sorta like a BBQ my friends use to do with a small pig. They dug a whole in the ground, added rocks, started a huge fire and let it burn and did the whole hog thing. They covered it with sauce, wrapped it, covered it and let it got for about 24 hours. On the holiday, they uncovered it, unwrapped it and enjoyed.

No reason why boulders or potato's cannot be enjoyed the same way.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17810
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 10:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by garykg6

OOOPS,I just read Michaels post and it is identical,but please,no foil

I prefer them without the foil, but some people didn't care for the black crust. By the way, my father called the Mickeys, and I do, too.

kland01s
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: Baked Potato Kicked up a Notch - Mon, 02/28/05 11:42 AM
I had dinner with my teenage nephews on Saturday, they cooked the steaks and one even made the birthday cake for their Oma (not me, my MIL) They make their baked potatoes (sweet and white) by wraping them in plastic wrap and putting them in the microwave for 10 minutes. They then eat them with salsa and cinnamon butter.