Chicken & Waffles

atlantis
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Chicken & Waffles - Sat, 03/11/06 11:26 AM

I live in Indiana and was wondering where I can find a place that has good chicken and waffles.

jeepguy
  • Total Posts : 1555
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Sat, 03/11/06 1:51 PM
I read recently some young athlete signed a big contract (can't remember the sport) but said he wants to buy an IHOP because he eats Shrimp and Pancakes-together.Good lord.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Sat, 03/11/06 2:46 PM

Atlantis,
First of all, Welcome to Roadfood . com from another Hoosier!

I believe you are looking for one of the Chicken and Waffle places that have made the Celebrity TV Food Shows recently. Gladus Knight (of R & B's "the Pips" fame) opened one in L A and I saw one, can't remember the Celeb's name, that is a big deal in the Atlanta Area.

I am down here in the Southern end of the Hoosier state and I am not aware of any place that serves the combination of the two foods as a regular menu item. Sorry I can't be of more help.

stevencarry
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Sat, 03/11/06 7:21 PM
Atlantis, call David Letterman,he'l know and if that doesn't work Chicken & Waffles are worth planning a vacation around. There is House of Chicken & Waffles here in Oakland ,Ca and Roscoe's C & W in Los Angeles.

MandalayVA
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Sat, 03/11/06 9:46 PM
Al, I believe the one in Atlanta is also Gladys Knight's, although there may be a few others around. I read about Gladys' on HollyEats.com and tried it when visiting a college friend of mine who lives in the area. It was pretty good, although a touch on the tourist-trap side. The sweet potato cheesecake is AWESOME, though.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15064
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Sat, 03/11/06 9:55 PM

Thanks, I got the name mixed up with Roscoe's in L A. Another one is in Harlem in NYC. I don't remember the food show it was on, but the folks were bragging on Bill Clinton being a regular customer.
At first the combination sounded odd, but after seeing the food and the customers a few times on those programs, it all looked pretty good to me.

stevencarry
  • Total Posts : 359
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Sat, 03/11/06 10:03 PM
Hey everyone, most of you seem to be in the midwest,southeast and such.
I thought C & W came from you guys. These people are of southern origin here that make this great dish. I am surprised it's not all over
back there. I guess what i'm saying is 'where did it come from'?

Gizmolito
  • Total Posts : 312
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Sun, 03/12/06 1:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by stevencarry

Hey everyone, most of you seem to be in the midwest,southeast and such.
I thought C & W came from you guys. These people are of southern origin here that make this great dish. I am surprised it's not all over
back there. I guess what i'm saying is 'where did it come from'?

Well, this is what they claim as the origin on the Gladys Knight website:

"The concept of Chicken and Waffles was born in Harlem, New York in the 1930's. Wells restaurant served many celebrities as they hung out in the late night hours. Many of them could not decide if they wanted breakfast or dinner.
Wells gave them both!"

There are also claims that this combo has been a Pennsylvania Dutch staple for much longer. Proof is here:
http://www.barrypopik.com/article/205/chicken-and-waffles

atlantis
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Thu, 03/16/06 6:57 AM
Thank ya'll for the info. I didn't think there would be one around this area. I was hoping there would at least be one in Chicago. I really didn't want to drive to the opposite side of the country for a meal. I'm orig from Ga so I'm kinda having withdrawls. I guess I'll just have to make my own, till I can get back down there. I've heard about Roscoe's, and would LOVE to visit Ca. I'll definitely have to plan that in my trip if I ever get out that way.

skinsfan.06
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Wed, 05/17/06 6:23 PM
Yeah, they just opened up a Gladys Knight Chicken & Waffles joint here in my home state of Maryland a few months ago. Haven't been to that one yet, but ironically, I've been to the one in ATL. Go figure.

becuta
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Sat, 05/20/06 10:07 AM
Here is a link that is really good to see:

http://support007.com/find.php?value=chicken+and+waffles

NAAMikey
  • Total Posts : 193
RE: Chicken & Waffles - Thu, 07/13/06 5:05 PM
Atlantis...It is definetly worth planning a trip to CA for food. I just got back from L.A. after 20 years and HAD to re-visit Roscoe's. It was exactly the way I remember, right down to the decor. Excellent chicken and waffles. The best I've ever eaten. You must go to the original one on Sunset and Gower. There are others in the LA area. Also if you are planning a trip out there, another place you might want to check out is Phillepe's, home of the French Dip. Downtown,it is a block from Olvera St. and Union Station. Walk off lunch by visiting the old Mexican shops on Olvera st and take a walk to Union station to check out the Art Deco designs. Don't forget breakfast at Joe's in Redondo beach.