Pizza in Old Forge, PA

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
  • Reward points : 0
Pizza in Old Forge, PA - Mon, 06/16/03 1:06 PM
I heard that pizza rules in Old Forge, Pa and as we will be staying in the area this weekend, I would love to hear from anyone on their favorite places to eat pizza in Old Forge........also any other good Italian!

stanpnepa
  • Total Posts : 574
RE: Pizza in Old Forge, PA - Mon, 06/16/03 1:47 PM
I live five miles from Old Forge and can help you out with this one!

Revello's, Main Street in Old Forge. The BEST Old Forge Style, right on Main Street. Open at 5pm. Closed on Monday, possibly Sundays. Get the red (square), try one with meatballs, and if you'd like you can get a salad with "pizza cheese"!!

Across the street and to the right is Arcaro and Genell's. They are known for their white pizza (though you should try both). I usually order pasta (very good!).

Across the street and just to the left of Revello's is Ghigarelli's. Get the Red.

Salerno's, go North on Main and make a Right at the light at Moosic Road. Outstanding Red.

Anthony's on Main Street serves very good Italian meals, though I haven't been their since management has changed a few years back.

Other outstanding pizzas...
Arcaro's (on Main Ave--same street above, where Taylor meets Scranton)---outstanding cheesy pie. Related to Arcaro and Gennell's...I prefer the pizza here.

Victory Pig, Rt. 11 Wyoming (about 15 minutes away)---greasy Polish pizza that should be tried.
(Only open W, Fr and Sat 5p-11pm).

Dough Company or Angelo's in Wilkes-Barre...great sweet sauce round pie...get extra sauce and onions! Yum!

My favorite NEPA Italian restaurant is the Lincoln Inn (Lincoln St. in Dupont). Their ravioli (cheese) rivals grandmas---the sauce is that good! The Lincoln Inn can be mistaken for just a house. It's a couple of blocks from Rt. 315.

Keep in mind that nearly all of these places are small and family run, so they have limited hours (mostly dinner only except the Dough Company).

If you need any other info, let me know!

Have a great Roadfood weekend!

chezkatie
  • Total Posts : 1329
RE: Pizza in Old Forge, PA - Mon, 06/16/03 5:28 PM
Hi there stanpnepa,

Thank you so much for all the great information. We are having sort of a family get together........Wilkes Barre-Scranton area being a good spot for us to meet for a nice weekend. Your suggestions all sound wonderful and it is going to be fun for us to "pizza" and "red sauce" ourselves out this weekend! Baltimore does NOT have what I would call good pizza!

shoemakerb
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Pizza in Old Forge, PA - Mon, 06/30/03 12:46 AM
This is slightly off-topic, but what the hey....

Since I moved back to NE PA, I have yet to find a really bad pizza (unlike when I lived down south). Must be the New York influence.

Anyway, I live in Bloomsburg and tried a pizza on a lunch buffet in nearby Danville (at a place called Unida Pizza) the other day about which you could say "only in Pennsylvania."

I swear to god, it was a pierogi pizza. Crust,thin layer of mashed potatoes, cheese (maybe onion too) on top. It was weird but good!

Another neat little thing they had - a Philly Cheese Steak stromboli. Filled with chopped cooked minute steak, onions, and cheese.

It was for things like these that the phrase "Don't knock it until you've tried it" was invented.

shoemakerb
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: Pizza in Old Forge, PA - Tue, 07/1/03 8:10 PM
I live in Bloomsburg, about 40 miles away from Wilkes Barre. I just noticed a local place offering "Old Forge Style Pizza." Other than this thread, I've never heard that description before.

Exactly what is Old Forge style pizza and how does it differ from pizza elsewhere?

AmeriKenArtist
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Pizza in Old Forge, PA - Wed, 07/2/03 7:09 AM
Sizzle Pie in Kingston! Great little pizza shop! My wife introduced me to it a few years ago. Now we live in Boston, but stop by when traveling back to visit family.

CheeseWit
  • Total Posts : 1393
RE: Pizza in Old Forge, PA - Wed, 07/2/03 7:27 AM
Steak strombolis are fairly commonplace in the mom and pop pizza shops in the Philly area. There are also steak calzones. The difference between the two is that a stromboli has sauce inside while a calzone does not and it is offered with sauce on the side to pour over or dip into.
quote:
Originally posted by shoemakerb

This is slightly off-topic, but what the hey....

Since I moved back to NE PA, I have yet to find a really bad pizza (unlike when I lived down south). Must be the New York influence.

Anyway, I live in Bloomsburg and tried a pizza on a lunch buffet in nearby Danville (at a place called Unida Pizza) the other day about which you could say "only in Pennsylvania."

I swear to god, it was a pierogi pizza. Crust,thin layer of mashed potatoes, cheese (maybe onion too) on top. It was weird but good!

Another neat little thing they had - a Philly Cheese Steak stromboli. Filled with chopped cooked minute steak, onions, and cheese.

It was for things like these that the phrase "Don't knock it until you've tried it" was invented.