Great Shapiro's experience

danimal15
  • Total Posts : 1092
  • Reward points : 0
Great Shapiro's experience - Thu, 03/16/06 4:49 PM
I just went to Shapiro's in Indianapolis for the first time in years, and it's as good as ever. This time I took my dad - a native New Yorker and a tough critic of corned beef - to see what he thought. He agreed with me that the corned beef was better than any he'd had in the Midwest - even better than Manny's in Chicago. He also praised the rye bread, which was thick with nice crunchy edges. Definitely a million times better than the packaged stuff now used at even some NY delis. The chicken soup was excellent, as was the potato pancake and strawberry rhubarb pie. I wish it wasn't four hours away! Or maybe it's better that way -I'd weigh 300 pounds if it was here.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15062
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Thu, 03/16/06 5:11 PM

We used to "do" lunch there back in the 80's whenever we gathered at Ivy Tech's Central Office in Indianapolis. The quality was always very high. I am no expert on Deli sandwiches, but the lunches we enjoyed at Shapiro's were good enough to hold a memory cell or two in my old mind.I am pleased to hear that apparently the quality is holding up over the years.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13387
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Thu, 03/16/06 5:16 PM
I have not been to the one downtown since the reopened but I have been to the one on the North side of Indy. It is located in a very upsacle shopping center.

The selection was enormous and the bakery was super. I had the corned beef. Although it was not stacked high, it was very tasty and the veggies were very good also.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

signman
  • Total Posts : 1743
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Thu, 03/16/06 8:34 PM
Glad to hear you had a good meal. It's been at least 2 years since I've been there. In addition to the very good corned beef and fresh baked rye I think Shapiro's has excellent potato salad, one of the best I've ever had. And I always leave with a little bag of rugelach.

Davydd
  • Total Posts : 6222
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Thu, 03/16/06 8:35 PM
I frequented Shapiro's for breakfast every time I visted my mother when she lived up the road from the one on 86th Street. That Shapiro's has since closed and moved further north. I ate dinner at the new location but couldn't adapt to the change. Maybe it just didn't click as a place to go to dinner being a cafeteria. It was great for breakfast and lunch at the 86th Street location.

dug
  • Total Posts : 213
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Thu, 03/16/06 10:32 PM
one of my favs,i'll be in indy this weekend[from chicago]and plan on a visit to the downtown location!

Hillbilly
  • Total Posts : 992
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Sat, 03/18/06 11:27 AM
Just another of the great places I would have missed except for the old "Roadfood" book write-up. And it was still good the last time I was there in 2004.

AaronM
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Wed, 08/20/08 11:14 AM
I absolutely love Shapiro's. I’ve lived in Indy about 5 years, and love to take visitors there. The sandwiches are pricey, but worth every penny. The dinners are a better deal.

Love the pies and they serve some of the best potato salad I have never had.

My favorite sandwich it the Ruben, but the rare Roast beef is also very good. Good bagels too!

buffetbuster
  • Total Posts : 9785
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Wed, 08/20/08 11:28 AM
I have only been to Shapiro's twice and both times it was for breakfast. I am feeling I have missed out by never having had lunch or dinner there. A reuben, chicken soup and the potato salad next time, for sure!

AaronM
  • Total Posts : 196
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Wed, 08/20/08 12:15 PM
Trust me...you won't regret it.

firecommander3565
  • Total Posts : 505
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Wed, 08/20/08 12:23 PM
Having eaten at both Manny's (in Chicago) and Shapiro's, I much prefered Manny's. Shaprio's slices their corn beef much thicker.
Both are great places, but Mannys is better quality (in my opinion) and a better selection. The prices are lower at Shapiro's.

hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1070
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Wed, 08/20/08 1:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by firecommander3565

Having eaten at both Manny's (in Chicago) and Shapiro's, I much prefered Manny's. Shaprio's slices their corn beef much thicker.
Both are great places, but Mannys is better quality (in my opinion) and a better selection. The prices are lower at Shapiro's.

That's funnny because I like Shapiro's better for that reason. I like it a little thick. I have not been to a New York Deli so I have never known how they do it but I always imagined that it was sliced thicker like Shapiro's.

Earl of Sandwich
  • Total Posts : 600
RE: Great Shapiro's experience - Sat, 08/23/08 2:47 PM
Shapiro's one of my all-time favorites. The food is really good and there is so much of it to choose from.