Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!!

Author
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
2006/03/17 22:20:58 (permalink)

Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!!

GREAT CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!

With all the trimmings, family style. And all tbe trimming are homemade, right in-house.

LINK:
http://www.zehnders.com/new-site/restaurant/index.htm

19 Replies Related Threads

garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2006/03/19 11:13:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by garryd451

GREAT CHICKEN!!!!!!!!!

With all the trimmings, family style. And all tbe trimming are homemade, right in-house.

Also You get 3 kinds of homemade bread with your meal, it is made int the on-site bakery!!

And a very very good homemade cramberry relish that is made in their kitchen.

LINK:
    http://www.zehnders.com/new-site/restaurant/index.htm
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2006/03/19 12:04:15 (permalink)
    This Destination has divided the state like a UofM / MSU football game
    Two mamouth Chicken Dinner establishment, accross the street from each other
    in a small, touristy town, own by the same family, that's done much for travel in Michigan

Some folks love it, some don't, I tend to agree with the assessment of the cranberry relish
    I have to drive back any time I run out of thier chicken seasoning salt, the orginal with MSG

Some folks tend to get overwhelmed with the size of the place(s) and the food is good,
    the debate over which is your favorite side can be as different as anyone family.
    Cranberries ? Homemade noodles ? I like the Hubbard Squash is the fall & the Chicken pasta salad
    served with the appetizers

Our latest find here was to forgo the family style dinners, order Cranberry relish two other side dishes
    and a plate of chicken wings from the cafeteria in Zehener's basement. Can't (shouldn't) eat as much as I used too
    Still get a carryout bag with the left overs

Link to the Bavarian Inn ... http://www.bavarianinn.com/
    http://www.zehnders.com/

Occasionally, I'll get the chicken seasoning salt, skip Frankenmuth, drive another hour north ...
    Iva's Chicken Dinners ... Sterling, Michigan (Several Smilie Faces ) ... No web site, Google it
    Old Boarding House in a very small town, Family Style or Plate chicken dinners
    Just something a little different
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2006/03/19 12:05:01 (permalink)

We have stopped there several times during the past decade, mainly to visited the Christmas shopping store, but have enjoyed the chicken 3 or 4 times also. Garry's report is accurate in my book. Good dinner! We did the AYCE once and used the menu the other times!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7032
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2006/03/19 17:08:22 (permalink)
    I agree that Zehnder's has GREAT chicken. We would always stop there when visiting my uncle in Port Huron.
    Pigiron
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1384
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2006/03/19 18:46:12 (permalink)
    I disagree.

I've been there twice, both times it was WAYYY out of my way. The food was very, very mediocre. The chicken is the best thing they do, but even that is a little blah. The sides are terrible: veggies out of a can and commercial tasting spuds and gravy.

A fun side trip, but the food is a major disappointment.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2006/03/20 09:28:40 (permalink)
    I, too, had been very disappointed in the supposedly "famous" Frankenmuth, MI Fried Chicken. On the first occasion that we went there, my wife and I tried the fried chicken at the Bavarian Inn, but were very dissappointed in it. On our next trip to Frankenmuth (long drive), we went across the street to Zehnder's and were even more disappointed with their fried chicken. Twice fooled . . . live and learn. But the famous Christmas Store on the outskirts of town was worth the trip!
    pigface
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2006/03/22 02:31:17 (permalink)
    www.bronners.com
    garryd451
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2006/03/22 19:28:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pigface

www.bronners.com

Thanks for the link!!!!!!!

I spent all of Wednesday afternoon at Bonner's last
    Wednesday while my wife was in a Special Education Conference at the Barvarian Inn Conference Center, it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    VicW
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2009/12/11 11:42:49 (permalink)
    You have to approach Frankenmuth with an attitude of celebration, it is a Christmas town all year around. The chicken dinners are like a nice family holiday dinner with many trimmings. It is very good but not gormet in any sense. But you have to do it once. Other wise they do have other items on the menu that are much better and diverse such as pork tenderlion, chicken phylo puffs, seafood and more. Reasonable but you can do better for the price.
    Tumbleweed365
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2009/12/11 12:29:47 (permalink)
    Wow, I haven't been there for years, but it sounds like everything is about the same.
     I have eaten at both restaurants and would be happy with just the appetizer tray, by the time the chicken arrives, I'm stuffed.
    I did like the pool at the Bavarian Inn, it was tiled with Old World looking tiles, and was quite beautiful. I don't know if it's still the same or not.
    Bronner's is a must see, once in your life, try to leave after dark for the full effect.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6396
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2009/12/11 13:10:28 (permalink)
    Frankenmuth is an experience and unique in its own way. I've been there a few times. Interesting restaurants for sure but I don't know if I would describe the food or chicken as great.
    Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2009/12/11 20:58:32 (permalink)
    I ate here this past July.  Over the course of two weeks on the road, it was one of three memorable restaurants that I could recommend to others.  It may not have been worth a 200-mile-out-of-your-way drive to get there, but it was worth 50 miles.  And it was a lot better than many restaurants in America.  Touisty?  Well, so what.  The food was very good, and I didn't leave disappointed.

Lindseyup67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2009/12/12 07:47:33 (permalink)
    Frankmuth itself is awesome, but the chicken dinners IMHO, are HUGELY overppriced!! My advice, skip the hype and find somewhere else in town to eat!!!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2009/12/12 08:21:15 (permalink)
    The sign gets top marks from the part of me that loves retro looking signage.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2009/12/12 11:49:04 (permalink)
    As an alternative to the Chicken House(s) in Frankenmuth, try nearby Tony's Restaurant. It was featured a year or two back on one of those "Massive Food Servings" programs. They brag on a lot but the one thing I recall was the BLT that contained over a pound of crispy Bacon!  Maybe not as genteel as the German-Chicken places, but if you want something to talk about, that BLT would be the one!
    Lindseyup67
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2009/12/13 19:38:59 (permalink)
    Gianetti
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2013/05/03 23:38:28 (permalink)
    mayor al

As an alternative to the Chicken House(s) in Frankenmuth, try nearby Tony's Restaurant. It was featured a year or two back on one of those "Massive Food Servings" programs. They brag on a lot but the one thing I recall was the BLT that contained over a pound of crispy Bacon!  Maybe not as genteel as the German-Chicken places, but if you want something to talk about, that BLT would be the one!

I haven't been to Tony's in years and only went once. Wouldn't recommend it. It always looked busy when I went by it, so against the advice of everyone I know who's ever eaten there, we stopped for lunch. No one in my party had eaten breakfast and we were all famished so the big portions we heard about sounded ideal. The food is huge and that's about all that can be said for it. They definitely opt for quantity over quality. We all just picked at what we got and didn't bother to take the leftovers as we would feel bad even feeding it to our dogs.

Now I do like the Frankenmuth chicken dinners. Zehnders or Bavarian Inn, doesn't matter as the food is pretty much the same. The chicken is juicy with a crisp skin. I'm a big carb lover so I'm into the the unlimited breads, stuffing and buttered noodles. The mashed potatoes are obviously made (at least mostly) from dehydrated potatoes which I don't care for but I eat them just the same. The little garlic toast things with pâté that they serve before dinner are really good and we always head downstairs to the bakery to pick some up to take home. The cranberry relish is divine too and can also be purchased in the bakery. None of it is exactly gourmet but it is yummy and the year round holiday atmosphere makes it all that much better.
    post edited by Gianetti - 2013/05/04 00:17:10
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2013/05/04 10:21:43 (permalink)
    Welcome to The Roadfood forums, Gianetti ! it has been awhile since anyone--including me--- has posted about the Frankenmuth area. I have family in your area that we hope to visit again sometime soon.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    RE: Zehnder's - Frankenmuth Michigan - GREAT CHICKEN!! 2013/05/04 10:25:55 (permalink)
    Definitely would rank there chicken at 99th, out of 100 places I have eaten chicken.  Nothing special, just average, overrated fried chicken.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1