southern fried chicken

Author Message
food10
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/2/2005
  • Location: orlando, FL
southern fried chicken - Thu, 03/23/06 2:40 PM
0
how does southern fried chicken differs from any other fried chicken?

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: Ipswich Ma
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 03/23/06 3:26 PM
0
They cluck with a drawl and generally move a little slower makes them easyier to catch. Chow Jim

ernieson
  • Total Posts : 117
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/28/2005
  • Location: las Vegas, NV
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 03/23/06 4:09 PM
0
I'll take the bait - I think pan frying vs. deep frying is the first step. Second, requires some pig - either lard or bacon grease in pan-

Then, anything goes.

My mother used to salt and pepper chicken pieces, dust them in flour and fry "until done" in a mix of Crisco and old bacon grease she kept in the refrigerator in a coffee pot.

All her recipes say "fry until done" or "bake until done."

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/14/2003
  • Location: West Palm Beach, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 03/23/06 4:57 PM
0
I thought southern fried was chicken marinated in buttermilk, then rolled in flour (w/salt and pepper) then fried..

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 03/23/06 7:47 PM
0
http://textsnippets.com/posts/show/29
This is Paula Deen's recipe for "southern Fried Chicken".
Looks like a normal recipe to me...
I didnt know there was a difference, except the state it was cooked in.

Salustra
  • Total Posts : 510
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 12/17/2004
  • Location: Escondido, CA
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 03/23/06 8:19 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

I thought southern fried was chicken marinated in buttermilk, then rolled in flour (w/salt and pepper) then fried..

That's how my Alabama Grandmother did it! Buttermilk was what made it special. She always said she could teach the Colonel a thing or two about chicken...

trayguy
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/13/2006
  • Location: Fort Worth, TX
RE: southern fried chicken - Sat, 05/13/06 10:03 PM
0
My mother justs puts salt on with flour and then put sit in a skillet . Tastes very good.

Coastal Southern
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/13/2006
  • Location: St. Simons Island , GA
RE: southern fried chicken - Tue, 06/13/06 1:58 PM
0

Originally posted by ernieson

I'll take the bait - I think pan frying vs. deep frying is the first step. Second, requires some pig - either lard or bacon grease in pan-


Ernieson got it right. The thing that separates good southern fired chicken from others is that it is pan fried with lard so that the fat does not cover the entire piece of chicken (coming just only half way up the piece as it cooks).

Whether or not you let it soak in buttermilk or just dredge it in seasoned flour before putting it in your pan varies among cooks.

scbuzz
  • Total Posts : 844
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/7/2003
  • Location: Sumter, SC
RE: southern fried chicken - Tue, 06/13/06 3:15 PM
0
That's the way my grandmother did it too. Always had a little white streak running around the middle lengthwise. She didn't use buttermilk, she saved that for the biscuits. Just flour, salt, pepper and a cast iron skillet with lard.


cathyx
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/2/2006
  • Location: miami, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 06/16/06 6:03 PM
0
I thought fried chicken was chicken with dried bread scratched mixed with egg's yellow then coating the chicken to be fried...

Pat T Hat
  • Total Posts : 968
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/2/2006
  • Location: Butler, KY
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 06/16/06 6:33 PM
0
I agree with flour, salt, pepper, fat(good shortning with some lard prefered) and of course the chicken. Fried in the 'ol iron chicken skillet so you can make the gravy. Around here it's mostly called pan fried. You don't hear southern fried that often. Mama's secret was some added corn starch in the flour for some extra crisp and I concur. Myself I like to soak in buttermilk but mine still isn't as good as hers. She's got the timeing down on covering with the lid of course and cooks it lower and slower than me. I'm a patient man until it comes to fried chicken.

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/20/2003
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 06/16/06 6:40 PM
0
Speaking of fried chicken... does anyone remember the "pulley bone" piece? I haven't seen this cut in well over 30 years. I have always wondered why. My grandmother always had same and THAT piece was reserved for me.

Jennifer_4
  • Total Posts : 1508
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/19/2000
  • Location: Fresno, CA
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 06/16/06 6:59 PM
0
I saw a special on a southern restaurant where the old lady fried up a big batch of onions in the grease before she put in the chicken.. said it added flavor to the chicken... can anyone comment on that?

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/20/2003
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 06/16/06 7:31 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I saw a special on a southern restaurant where the old lady fried up a big batch of onions in the grease before she put in the chicken.. said it added flavor to the chicken... can anyone comment on that?


It probably did add a lot of flavor. However, it doesn't sound like the chicken was actually going to be fried (in batter). More details needed. Also, assuming this was pan fried; what type of "grease" was used?

Pat T Hat
  • Total Posts : 968
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/2/2006
  • Location: Butler, KY
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 06/16/06 7:45 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Speaking of fried chicken... does anyone remember the "pulley bone" piece? I haven't seen this cut in well over 30 years. I have always wondered why. My grandmother always had same and THAT piece was reserved for me.

You only get that at home. It's the back with the two little "chicken mignon" like tenders right? What a swell grandma! That was a piece my big sister would crack me over the knuckles with a fork for! She'd lock me in a closet for first shot at the turkey skin on Thanksgiving. I'm bigger and grumpier now!

Adjudicator
  • Total Posts : 5057
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/20/2003
  • Location: Tallahassee, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 06/16/06 8:03 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Pat T Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Speaking of fried chicken... does anyone remember the "pulley bone" piece? I haven't seen this cut in well over 30 years. I have always wondered why. My grandmother always had same and THAT piece was reserved for me.

You only get that at home. It's the back with the two little "chicken mignon" like tenders right? What a swell grandma! That was a piece my big sister would crack me over the knuckles with a fork for! She'd lock me in a closet for first shot at the turkey skin on Thanksgiving. I'm bigger and grumpier now!


Correct! Chicken Mignon. She (grandmother) would always have at least 2-3 on hand every time she fried chicken. Those were the days when the butcher was actually someone you knew as a friend. She fried a lot of chicken at one time ;). I don't even want to get into what the rest of the "usual" meal was. Not. Fresh creamed corn, white rice with fried chicken gravy, fresh white acre peas, fresh collards and/or turnip greens, fresh tomatoes, fried okra, corn bread, southern iced tea (w/pineapple juice), lemon ice box pie.

No wonder I do not like Southern style foods anymore. All are inferior to what I grew up on.

Pat T Hat
  • Total Posts : 968
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/2/2006
  • Location: Butler, KY
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 06/16/06 8:28 PM
0
Bet money your a friend to Hoppin' John as well. Gram never met a smoked ham hock she didn't like either I bet. The reason those backs taste so good is it's all on the bone. Me and sis were the only ones willing to put in the work and I was the only one willing to take the forkin'.
Thanks for the pineapple juice in the tea memory. I worked in a bar with an older gal that did that. I liked it. She didn't drink and that was her non/alch version of her "famous" "Howarya Hawaiian Island Ice Tea" drink. She used some bar sour and the rest pineapple juice. She may have used coconut rum as well. Anyone who ordered a Long Island Ice Tea was booed loudly by the entire joint.

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/4/2004
  • Location: Fontana, CA
RE: southern fried chicken - Sun, 06/18/06 11:49 AM
0
How does food10 posts differs from any other posts?

It never responds back to the responses it hooks in.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: southern fried chicken - Mon, 06/19/06 7:43 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by enginecapt

How does food10 posts differs from any other posts?

It never responds back to the responses it hooks in.

I thought he was Parses6 because of that.

Art Deco
  • Total Posts : 889
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/12/2002
  • Location: Nashville, TN
RE: southern fried chicken - Wed, 06/21/06 3:21 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Speaking of fried chicken... does anyone remember the "pulley bone" piece? I haven't seen this cut in well over 30 years. I have always wondered why.


Oh, I can answer that -- it's because you aren't buying the whole chicken and cutting it up yourself. We always have a pulley bone when I fry chicken, just because that's how I learned to cut one up!

Coastal Southern
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/13/2006
  • Location: St. Simons Island , GA
RE: southern fried chicken - Wed, 06/21/06 3:26 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:
Originally posted by Pat T Hat

quote:
Originally posted by Adjudicator

Speaking of fried chicken... does anyone remember the "pulley bone" piece? I haven't seen this cut in well over 30 years. I have always wondered why. My grandmother always had same and THAT piece was reserved for me.

You only get that at home. It's the back with the two little "chicken mignon" like tenders right? What a swell grandma! That was a piece my big sister would crack me over the knuckles with a fork for! She'd lock me in a closet for first shot at the turkey skin on Thanksgiving. I'm bigger and grumpier now!


Correct! Chicken Mignon. She (grandmother) would always have at least 2-3 on hand every time she fried chicken. Those were the days when the butcher was actually someone you knew as a friend. She fried a lot of chicken at one time ;). I don't even want to get into what the rest of the "usual" meal was. Not. Fresh creamed corn, white rice with fried chicken gravy, fresh white acre peas, fresh collards and/or turnip greens, fresh tomatoes, fried okra, corn bread, southern iced tea (w/pineapple juice), lemon ice box pie.

No wonder I do not like Southern style foods anymore. All are inferior to what I grew up on.


Adjudicator,
You speak my language. My Family is from Colquitt Ga. just down the road from you and it seems like our Grandmothers swapped recipes. Love it.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/15/2003
  • Location: Newberry, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Wed, 06/21/06 3:34 PM
0
I fried chicken last night, bought a cut up for a change. I usually cut my own up as well. And, it had a PULLEY BONE! It was a Publix cut up bird. I just egg washed mine(have done buttermilk as well, daughter asks me not to do that cause it has a sour taste to her)anyway, then dredge in seasoned flour THEN heated up my cast iron skillet added my Crisco solid when it was about 350 I just fried it in small batches, made pan gravy, mashed taters, and some corn that I have already creamed this season. I've given up pretty much on making "hot" chicken though, nothing seems to have that great of an effect so I sprinkle cayenne on freshly removed pieces. Pretty darn good.

rebeltruce
  • Total Posts : 698
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/8/2006
  • Location: Culpeper, VA
RE: southern fried chicken - Tue, 09/12/06 1:44 PM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer_4

I saw a special on a southern restaurant where the old lady fried up a big batch of onions in the grease before she put in the chicken.. said it added flavor to the chicken... can anyone comment on that?


John T Edge, writes about a similiar restaurant in his book on fried chicken. I thought the place he mentioned was in a NJ beach town .... I'll dig up my copy of the book and post the recipe.

The book is called "Fried Chicken: An American Story".

rebeltruce
  • Total Posts : 698
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 9/8/2006
  • Location: Culpeper, VA
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 09/14/06 8:06 PM
0
From the book: "Fried Chicken: An American Story" by John T Edge

The recipe is called "Onion-Fried Shore Chicken" Inspired by Dot and Lucille who cook at the Chalfonte Hotel in Cape May, NJ

1 Chicken, cut into 8 pieces if less then 3 pounds, 10 pieces if more then 3 pounds

2 Tablespoons salt

2 Tablespoons lemon pepper (the kind without salt)

1 Cup self rising flour

Peanut oil

2 Medium onions, peeled and sliced into 3/4 inch rings

Salt and black pepper for sprinkling

Season chicken with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon of lemon pepper. Mix flour and the remaining salt and lemon pepper in a brown paper bag. Add two pieces of chicken at a time, shake to coat thoroughly, and shake again after removing from the bag to remove excess flour. (save the flour)

Place chicken on wax paper or a parchment lined pan to rest for 10 minutes. Pour enough oil into a skillet to a depth of 1 1/2 inches. Heat to 350', and place half the onion rings into the skillet. After 3 or 4 minutes, when the hiss form the water in the onions quiets, remove the onions and discard. Place remaining onions in a bowl of cold water and set aside.

Slide the dark meat into the oil, skin side down, followed up by the white meat. Keep the oil between 300' and 325' and cook chicken pieces for 12 minutes per side, or until an internal temp of 170' for the dark meat and 160' for the white. Drain chicken on a wire rack.

Keep the oil in the skillet. Remove the remaining onion rings from the water and toss in the flour filled bag, shake to coat thoroughly. Fry the onion rings in the same oil until brown, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss on top of the chicken.




TheHotPepper.com
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 11/24/2004
  • Location: NY, NY
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 09/14/06 8:19 PM
0
Yes, it involes a cast iron skillet and shallow frying.

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/15/2005
  • Location: columbus, oh
RE: southern fried chicken - Fri, 09/15/06 2:24 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by TheHotPepper.com

Yes, it involes a cast iron skillet and shallow frying.

Imagine that.
A skillet to fry chicken.........
What will they think of next?

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 10/27/2005
  • Location: Huntsville, AL
RE: southern fried chicken - Mon, 09/18/06 5:42 PM
0
And yes, they must be kept pregnant and barefooted too.

Xu
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 8/5/2006
  • Location: Portland, OR
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 09/21/06 6:28 AM
0
Does anybody here know the difference between Maryland fried chicken and Kentucky fried chicken? The MD style has less of a coating, I think.

Yes, in a big cast iron skillet,the hard part's supposed to be in the browning, from the little I know about this.


Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 5/11/2005
  • Location: Bergen County, NJ
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 09/21/06 8:33 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Xu

Does anybody here know the difference between Maryland fried chicken and Kentucky fried chicken? The MD style has less of a coating, I think.



It's my understanding that Maryland Fried Chicken has a white gravy on it.

As for "southern" fried chicken compared to "fried chicken", perhaps there once was a distinction, but in my travels, I've seen chicken of every sort (deep fried, skillet fried, oven fried, etc...) referred to as "southern". Whatever meaning it once has is probably lost forever.

BTB
  • Total Posts : 207
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/25/2004
  • Location: St. Petersburg, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 09/21/06 9:08 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Xu:
Does anybody here know the difference between Maryland fried chicken and Kentucky fried chicken? The MD style has less of a coating, I think.


Check out the Maryland Fried Chicken thread at http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12196. I don't think it has anything to do with the amount of coating as opposed to the kind of coating (i.e., flour, breadcrumbs, cracker crumbs, corn meal, etc. & other additives).

doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 6/11/2006
  • Location: Austin, TX...got smoke?
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 09/21/06 10:32 AM
0


I have always tried to figure out what's in the Colonel's secret blend of herbs and spices. I forget the number that they claimed was added, but it seems like they mentioned something over 12. So I use what is in my spice rack and go for it with gusto. Among the ingredients are Old Bay, Bell's seasoning, paprika, thyme, black pepper, cayenne, cornmeal or instant oats, a touch of seasoned salt and more black pepper. Cornstarch helps make it crispy and I double dip the chicken in this mixture.
I figure that if I don't feel that there is enough flavor after cooking, that is when I will add some salt, hot sauce and honey to round out the flavor.
But I can be as lazy as the next person and wonder if there is a store bought mix that people here like to use?

My biggest problem is that I loose the temperature after placing very few pieces in the oil. It seems that I am constantly playing with the heat from my gas stove. I have a digital thermometer that shows that I go from 350 to 250 to 300, which is the temp that I am seeking.,
Due to space considerations, I have avoided a deep fat fryer, but I get pissy when I know that I am actually boiling the chicken in the oil as opposed to frying.

mark

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/15/2003
  • Location: Newberry, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 09/21/06 11:04 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

I fried chicken last night, bought a cut up for a change. I usually cut my own up as well. And, it had a PULLEY BONE! It was a Publix cut up bird. I just egg washed mine(have done buttermilk as well, daughter asks me not to do that cause it has a sour taste to her)anyway, then dredge in seasoned flour THEN heated up my cast iron skillet added my Crisco solid when it was about 350 I just fried it in small batches, made pan gravy, mashed taters, and some corn that I have already creamed this season. I've given up pretty much on making "hot" chicken though, nothing seems to have that great of an effect so I sprinkle cayenne on freshly removed pieces. Pretty darn good.

I'm getting the hang of making hot chicken afterall, sort of. I dropped the egg wash step. I wash the chicken, let drain mostly, then season with cayenne liberally, let sit for about 10 minutes THEN dredge into my seasoned flour that has salt, pepper and additional cayenne and fry. It's comin' around yes sirree!

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 7/15/2003
  • Location: Newberry, FL
RE: southern fried chicken - Thu, 09/21/06 11:05 AM
0
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty246

I fried chicken last night, bought a cut up for a change. I usually cut my own up as well. And, it had a PULLEY BONE! It was a Publix cut up bird. I just egg washed mine(have done buttermilk as well, daughter asks me not to do that cause it has a sour taste to her)anyway, then dredge in seasoned flour THEN heated up my cast iron skillet added my Crisco solid when it was about 350 I just fried it in small batches, made pan gravy, mashed taters, and some corn that I have already creamed this season. I've given up pretty much on making "hot" chicken though, nothing seems to have that great of an effect so I sprinkle cayenne on freshly removed pieces. Pretty darn good.

I'm getting the hang of making hot chicken afterall, sort of. I dropped the egg wash step. I wash the chicken, let drain mostly, then season with cayenne liberally, let sit for about 10 minutes THEN dredge into my seasoned flour that has salt, pepper and additional cayenne and fry. It's comin' around yes sirree!

Oh and gotta make sure some of that cayenne goes UNDER the skin as well!

Relentless
  • Total Posts : 150
  • Reward points : 0
  • Joined: 3/21/2005
  • Location: Kentucky
RE: southern fried chicken - Mon, 11/6/06 11:48 PM
0
Good Southern Fried chicken is just not that difficult. It is of course, pan-fried...and if you have never used one, you will be surprised how much of a difference a good cast iron skillet makes. I can't explain it, but it just doesn't come out the same in anything else.

About twice a month I buy 2-3 chickens, cut them up and fry the breast, legs and wings...rest goes into a pot with an onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf. Will become chicken and dumplings soon.

Sometimes I marinade the chicken for a couple of hours in milk, buttermilk or just water with a little salt in it...sometimes not. Breading is all purpose flour, well seasoned with salt & pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne....sometimes a little marjoram, thyme, oregano, basil etc. Whatever I am in the mood for and have on hand. Just use plenty of it.

The key is to only put 3/4" to 1" of oil in the cast iron skillet. When the pieces are placed in the hot oil, the oil should only come up about halfway on the chicken. Cook bone side down first over medium to medium high heat...not too hot. I give it about 10-12 minutes before turning...should be a nice golden brown. Turn and cook for the same time with the skin side down being careful not to burn the skin. Turn once more and give a few more minutes...should feel firm to the touch when done. Drain on paper bag. You now have 12-18 pieces of great fried chicken...eat what you want for dinner & put the rest in the fridge to enjoy cold over the next few days