LockedCincinnati Chili

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Junior Burger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/12 15:08:39
Because skyline is a franchise it differs from store to store.  Try the original price hill location, you won't be disappointed.  In particular, their coneys are the best in the city.
BD
Junior Burger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/12 15:10:40
wanderingjew

PapaJoe8

How about Old Bay seasoning? I have heard the mention around here somewhere. Could some places use it. ???
Joe

Seriously, are you just saying this to be annoying? 

Old bay season is probably more absurd than celery salt...

Cardamon on the other hand would not surprise me.

I know several parlors that do include a bay leaf or two, maybe that's what you're thinking of.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/12 15:12:21
PapaJoe8

Wanderer, I am not sure where but someone here did mention Old Bay as possibly one of the "secret" ingredients in Cinci chili. I had no idea that me saying that would annoy anyone. I kinda thought someone might say " I don't think so" or "Hmm, maybe so?" or "I'm the one that said that" or...???

The search for, and speculation about, the "secret" Cinci Chili seasonings is sposed to be fun yall. :~)

Hey, we can never no for sure. These recipes ARE closely guarded secrets. Not even the folks who work there know what's in, or is not in, what they serve.
Joe

I don't know Joe, I think you are the only one that said that.

I guess I'm not used to "talking" but "doing". There are many ingredients that are speculative of being included in Cincinnati Chili including Cinammon, Cloves, Chocolate etc. Even cardamon sounds reasonable. Celery salt and old bay just don't make any sense.

CajunKing
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/12 15:21:29
BD

ALL Skyline chili comes from the Skyline commisary, even if the place is franchised.  The chili is delivered to the store in frozen block form.

Franchisees are not allowed to "doctor" the chili in anyway

There is a difference in the spaghetti from store to store.  They are supposed to mix a part chili with the water they cook the spaghetti in so the flavor soaks into the spaghetti, some places do this others do not.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/12 17:45:47
PapaJoe8but someone here did mention Old Bay as possibly one of the "secret" ingredients in Cinci chili

Yeah, it was you -- and it is not lost on me that a primary ingredient in Old Bay is celery.  Keep beating that horse.  Beat it some more.  Make sure it's good and beaten, 'kay?

Just for the record, I hereby mention old discarded radial tires, passenger pigeon beaks, comet dust,  and marshmellow fluff as additional "possible ingredients" so that you can later bring up that 'someone' mentioned these as possible ingredients. 

PapaJoe8Not even the folks who work there know what's in, or is not in, what they serve.

I trust that you understand that the folks who cook it (or barring that, the ones who put together the seasoning premix packs) HAVE to know what is being put in the cooking pots, because, well....they're putting the ingredients in the pots (or the packs).  I don't just mean this as it applies to chili, but to any "secret recipe".

If this isn't crystal clear, let me know, and I will strive to clarify it further for you.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/13 06:08:47
CajunKing explained somewhere here at Roadfood about the process of keeping the "secret" recipe secret. I love what you can learn here! I remember something about things being done in three different places. That way no one knows who has done what. I wish I could find that post and quote it. And I wish I could find where someone, besides me, mentioned Old bay.

There is a cute KFC commercial where the guy asks "do you have the secret recipe" or something like that. The anser was "YES". The first guy said "how much will it cost". The answer was 99c... Then the first guy pulled up to the drive through window and got his "secret recipe" chicken sandwich. :~)
Joe

Davydd
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/13 09:33:49
There is no secret. There have been several recipes posted here on Roadfood.com and the internet and many of them hit the taste right on the head. My wife made a Cincinnati chili recently that tasted like a dead ringer to me. No two restaurants are identical serving Cincinnati chili so obviously there are different recipes. The balance of ingredients and source of ingredients are probably what makes the most difference between them.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/13 14:41:39
TJ... you are right! Someone must know the secret recipe for each Cincinnati Chili location. If no one knew... then it would be a mystery. :~)

By "no one" CK and I meant... know one but the ones who know. :~))

Davy, neat! What your wife did is kinda the same thing I did with Benny Binion's great chili recipe. I did as much research as possible and then just kept making it until someone, besides myself, who knows what it is supposed to taste like... thought it was right. And yes... there are maybe thousands of recipes on the net. Most of them are way wrong and have all kinds of weird stuff in them. There are even hundreds of recipes (I stopped counting at 200) that even have... chopped onions. Every one knows that those are served on the side and not cooked in the chili.

Porker, please hang around here at Roadfood!!!

Does anyone serve Cincinnati Chili in Texas? No, don't say Steak n Shake. It's over pasta but it's not Cinci Chili.
Joe

I also stopped counting at 200 for recipes on the net that use.... other things.
post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2009/03/13 15:00:54
BD
Junior Burger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/03/14 15:35:21
CajunKing

BD

ALL Skyline chili comes from the Skyline commisary, even if the place is franchised.  The chili is delivered to the store in frozen block form.

Franchisees are not allowed to "doctor" the chili in anyway

There is a difference in the spaghetti from store to store.  They are supposed to mix a part chili with the water they cook the spaghetti in so the flavor soaks into the spaghetti, some places do this others do not.

I did get in with a GM of a particular branch who once said that individual restaurants do "tweak" but I always took it for a grain of salt.  It's hard to know what to believe.

But there are things I do know for certain, like how the chili is prepared in-store makes a big difference.  The water content in the chili makes a big difference as well, so how much they allow it to cook down will effect it greatly.  For instance, if you get the sauce in a can deal and pour it out in a sauce pan, it's almost as thin as water.  you have to let it cook down for nearly an hour to get the right consistency.

But more than that, fresh noodles, quick service, all of these tings make a huge impact on the overall chili experience.  THat's all I was saying.
soozycue520
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/04/15 14:39:45
Article in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/04/14/ST2009041401212.html?sid=ST2009041401212

Nice article, but it compares Cincy chili to a number of Greek dishes, including pastisto, without correctly comparing it to stifado.
PapaJoe8
Sirloin
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/04/15 16:16:50
Soozy, thanks for that link! I learned that one chef has a vault where he combines his secret blends.
Joe
jimcor
Cheeseburger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/06/24 22:39:03
Went up to Cincinnati today for lunch with my Mom at Camp Washington Chili. She had a three way and I went full tilt with a five way. The food was excellent, portion size was above average and the price was darn right reasonable, service was excellent. Years ago while attending UC I worked near the original location of Camp Washington me and the guys at the job ate coneys darn near everyday. I was worried that I would suffer from "not as good as I rememberitis"...I am very pleased to announce that today's lunch was even better than I remember.

Camp Washington Chili, great stuff! The double decker sandwiches many patrons were ordering looked humongous and very appealing, maybe next time, then again maybe not, that five way was good!

dave1f
Junior Burger
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/08/31 17:04:23
I'm kinda late for this thread, but here goes:

The following recipe is the one that I worked out in the early 80's, when Skyline wasn't cutting corners by diluting their recipe. I can't stand to eat there anymore. All my friends have ever told me was that it was "Dead On" (I went for a few months comparing Skyline and mine). I kept it secret but now other's should know the wonders of this flavor combination.

Skyline (Cincinnati or Greek) Chili

Add 2 lb. Ground Beef to 1/2 qt. water and cook, at medium temp, till fine. (2-3 hrs. or more)
Drain well.

Mix well in blender:

2 onions (chopped)
4 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
5 whole allspice
5 whole cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 1/2 - 3 tbs. chili power
2 Tbs. tarragon vinegar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 oz. chocolate melted in 2 tbs. water
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 beef bouillon cubes
3 drops tobasco sauce
2 cans tomato sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Add to beef and cook a long time (4-5 hrs.)
You can serve at anytime, but BEST to refrigerate over night and reheat.

Serve with :
oysterettes crackers
graded sharp cheddar cheese
kidney beans
chopped onions
Speghetti

Put on episodes of WKRP in Cincinnati and enjoy.

post edited by Tony Bad - 2009/09/08 10:38:08
jimcor
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 02:42:31
Dunno if I saw it here or somewhere else, but Worthmore Cincinnati Style canned chili is supposed to be very good. Was able to source some here in Lexington, KY also found Dixie Chili in cans too,  along with  Skyline and Goldstar...A canned Cincity chili comparison should be comin' up soon.  Stay tuned.
post edited by jimcor - 2009/09/08 02:44:35
boyardee65
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 04:18:33

Regarding the topic at hand, I have had some wonderful Cincy style chili in.... (drum roll please,) Wickenburg, AZ. The Gold Nugget Restaurant is owned by a Greek who got his recipe from his Dad and Grandad. It is great on a dog, spaghetti, or even in a bowl by itself. Located right on the strip, Wickenburg Way ( if you can call a two stop light road a strip,) the Nugget serves other good food besides. I can't vouch for the food since I quit cooking there a few years ago but it used to be very good.

David O.
post edited by Tony Bad - 2009/09/08 10:50:32
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 08:39:58
jimcor

Dunno if I saw it here or somewhere else, but Worthmore Cincinnati Style canned chili is supposed to be very good. Was able to source some here in Lexington, KY also found Dixie Chili in cans too,  along with  Skyline and Goldstar...A canned Cincity chili comparison should be comin' up soon.  Stay tuned.

I   mentioned it somewhere here recently - also of note is that its price is considerably less than the big 2 - generally between 50 cents to a dollar less - and its ingredients are healthier also - no MSG.  Their mock turtle soup is also superb. I have not tried Dixie chili in cans.

Here is some info on Worthmore:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_turtle_soup
http://home.fuse.net/worthmore/

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/09/08 09:04:35
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 12:17:47
I had a large Skyline four-way with onions, and three coneys (sans cheese) for dinner last night. I love that stuff, but I still can't figure out why TJ calls it that Greek meat sauce chili.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/09/08 12:18:51
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 12:37:04
You have a fine appetite.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 13:02:29
I was most uncomfortable after eating last night. Sometimes, when my eyes get bigger than my stomach, my stomach wins and I suffer as a result.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 13:41:35
Michael Hoffman
I still can't figure out why TJ calls it that Greek meat sauce chili.

I call Chili........chili

I call curmudgeons......curmudgeons

I call Columbus.......City of the second best college football team in Ohio
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 14:05:30
Michael Hoffman

I was most uncomfortable after eating last night. Sometimes, when my eyes get bigger than my stomach, my stomach wins and I suffer as a result.
I know the feeling only too well.  As I grow older I do that less and less, but sometimes you  just cannot help yourself.  It happens most with good pizza (Troni's or Dewey's) and bbq pork ribs (mine mainly).

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 15:26:12
TJ Jackson

Michael Hoffman
I still can't figure out why TJ calls it that Greek meat sauce chili.

I call Chili........chili

I call curmudgeons......curmudgeons

I call Columbus.......City of the second best college football team in Ohio

Well, one out of three is about par for the course for someone from Cincinnati. I am a curmudgeon.

By the way, there are two guys from Gahanna on that Bearcat football team, and one of them had a few tackles and a solo sack.
zumguteetz
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 17:04:26
I have had them all. Camp Washington stands up to the test as I order my chili in a bowl with cheese on the side. NO OTHER Cincinnati Chili can be eaten this way..all the the others need something under it (spaghetti) to make it a meal. Once you've tried it plain then you KNOW its worth its weight as a three-way or more. Tell John Johnson or his daughter Maria that Joel Miller sent you!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/08 17:54:39
zumguteetz

I have had them all. Camp Washington stands up to the test as I order my chili in a bowl with cheese on the side. NO OTHER Cincinnati Chili can be eaten this way..all the the others need something under it (spaghetti) to make it a meal. Once you've tried it plain then you KNOW its worth its weight as a three-way or more. Tell John Johnson or his daughter Maria that Joel Miller sent you!

It is too bad they do not can it and offer it in the supermarkets.
jimcor
Cheeseburger
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/14 15:09:04
I tried  Price Hill Chili for the first time in my life last week. Big deal, you say. Well, the restaurant at Prout's Corner was only about a mile or two from my parent's house. But if you walk past the original location of Skyline Chili every  high school day for four years and many of your friends work there, there is no need to go anywhere else. Alas, that location of Skyline is gone and so is the spirit of the product.

But back to Price Hill Chili. Thumbs down. The chili is good they just don't put any of it on their 3 ways or Coneys. The spaghetti is too thick and only gets a meager dollop of chili sauce, the Coneys receive a smear. Very disappointing. Prices are relatively high also. Shame.

post edited by jimcor - 2009/09/14 15:11:35
Russ Jackson
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/14 15:26:58
NYPIzzaNut

zumguteetz

Dixie Chili in a can is excellent...Russ
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/14 19:21:55
Russ Jackson

NYPIzzaNut

zumguteetz

Dixie Chili in a can is excellent...Russ

Where is it sold?
Russ Jackson
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/15 12:35:27
You can get it right at the restaurant, Juncle Jims, or online @ http://www.dixiechili.com/. I am not sure but I think Kroger carries it also. If you called Dixie they will know...Russ
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/15 17:01:10
I agree about Price Hill Chili. It was one of the stops on the Cincinnati Chili RF tour back in May, and I found their chili to be rather uninspired. IMO, only Delhi Chili ranked lower than Price Hill out of the six places that we visited.
wallyford
Junior Burger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 13:47:47
I am a newbie here, but I love this thread.  It is about as entertaining as any.

Unfortunately, it should be called Cincinnati "chili" because whatever you wanna call it, that stuff they serve is not what most people think of as chili.  Now, I am not really a chili snob, in fact, I am sure that there is some of that stuff that may not be that bad, but my experience has told me otherwise.  I must say I recall a program on the Food Network where they showed someone from a famous Cincinnati establishment making that stuff.  Once they BOILED THE MEAT I couldn't watch it anymore. 

I have eaten the "chili" in Cincinnati and it reminded me of what the Henry Hill character says near the end of Goodfellas (I'll paraphrase so interpret the quotes loosely) "I ordered spaghetti with marinara and I got egg noodles and ketchup."  I think that sums it up

Finally, for anyone who thinks that stuff is "chili" I cannot picture you objecting to someone adding celery or anything else to it.  That's rather like the guy who painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa complaining when someone added a beard!

Cheers,
Wally
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 14:02:57
Russ Jackson

You can get it right at the restaurant, Juncle Jims, or online @ http://www.dixiechili.com/. I am not sure but I think Kroger carries it also. If you called Dixie they will know...Russ

I finally found it at the Meijer's and Kroger's at Eastgate...I just had it with a Sabrett's  hotdog on a toasted bun with sharp shredded  cheddar and fried onion..it was wonderful ..their chili is much better than Skyline or Gold Star.  Gonna have it over thin spaghetti tonight again with sharp shredded  cheddar and fried onions.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 14:17:28
wallyford
I am a newbie here, but I love this thread.  It is about as entertaining as any.

Unfortunately, it should be called Cincinnati "chili" because whatever you wanna call it, that stuff they serve is not what most people think of as chili.  Now, I am not really a chili snob, in fact, I am sure that there is some of that stuff that may not be that bad, but my experience has told me otherwise.  I must say I recall a program on the Food Network where they showed someone from a famous Cincinnati establishment making that stuff.  Once they BOILED THE MEAT I couldn't watch it anymore. 

I have eaten the "chili" in Cincinnati and it reminded me of what the Henry Hill character says near the end of Goodfellas (I'll paraphrase so interpret the quotes loosely) "I ordered spaghetti with marinara and I got egg noodles and ketchup."  I think that sums it up

Finally, for anyone who thinks that stuff is "chili" I cannot picture you objecting to someone adding celery or anything else to it.  That's rather like the guy who painted a mustache on the Mona Lisa complaining when someone added a beard!

Cheers,
Wally

Well, its interesting to see that in one of your very first posts (I see you have two so far as I write this) you choose to express intolerance for a regional food on this, a website dedicated to celebrating regional foods.  You're off to a great start.

As far as who calls this chili?  let's start with the entire population of Cincinnati and the surrounding areas.  I dont have numbers, but would guess in the low single digit millions.    Then we'll add the Sterns and the roadfood team, ok?   If you dont know who they are - and this would not surprise anyone given your post - may I suggest you read the following?  http://www.roadfood.com/FAQ/WhatIsRoadfood.aspx
http://www.roadfood.com/F...oadfoodTeam.aspx 

You dont like the chili - no problem.  Not every regional cuisine suits everyone's tastes. 

You think we should change it and add celery?  Nah.  Sory.  You might as well suggest that all Chicago hotdogs should get catsup in place of the neon green relish.   It simply isn't the way the dish is done.  Not that I would expect you to even try to understand

My favorite line from your post is
wallyford
I am not really a chili snob

given that your post defines you as just exactly that.

So - given your intolerance for a regional food, can you tell me why you are even here, participating in a website that is all about celebrating regional foods? 
Russ Jackson
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 14:32:54
wallyford

Cheers,
Wally

I aggree with you to a point. Skyline and Gold Star just don't do it for me. In a can even worse. But please remember these are regional things that people grew up on. I have grown to love Camp Washington, Dixie Chili, and Blue Ash. I also love Goetta a Cincy thing as well. Personally I can't stand Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs or that stuff they call chili. I mean I cannot stand there Chili! Not big on a Dirty Water Dog. And when it comes to Texas Red Sauce some is wonderful while others are plain horrible. Give it a fair try at the right places and you may change your mind. I on occasion love a good three way. Cincy Chili is a true regional thing I have never found it in any other state...Russ
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Dixie Chili 2009/09/23 19:06:36
NYPIzzaNut

Russ Jackson

I finally found it at the Meijer's and Kroger's at Eastgate...I just had it with a Sabrett's  hotdog on a toasted bun with sharp shredded  cheddar and fried onion..it was wonderful ..their chili is much better than Skyline or Gold Star.  Gonna have it over thin spaghetti tonight again with sharp shredded  cheddar and fried onions.
We just finished our supper - Dixie Chili is a superb product and we will be using it regularly when when we haven't made our home-made chili.  What a fantastic flavor.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 19:20:05
Oh, come on. Intolerance for regional food my left foot. No matter how many times you insist, TJ, it's not chili. It's a misnomer applied to a sauce in order not to scare the locals away because it was something foregin to the good burghers of Porkopolis.

Get over it. It's a Greek meat sauce.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 19:33:45
Sorry Mr Hoffman.

I disagree with you.

The Sterns disagree with you

Millions of happy chili fans disagree with you

It is a regional variation not dissimilar to all the variations of barbeque and pizza.

You are simply wrong. 

Period.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 19:40:28
TJ Jackson

Period.

Golly. I'm sorry. Have you tried Midol?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 19:41:17
Michael Hoffman

Oh, come on. Intolerance for regional food my left foot. No matter how many times you insist, TJ, it's not chili. It's a misnomer applied to a sauce in order not to scare the locals away because it was something foregin to the good burghers of Porkopolis.

You need red wine for Greek meat sauce.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 19:45:11
NYPIzzaNut

Michael Hoffman

You need red wine for Greek meat sauce.

I see. Have you ever mentioned this to the Greeks? I'm sure they'd find it fascinating.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 19:47:06
They know about it.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 19:54:29
The red wine should be dry, preferably.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 21:01:06
Wine in Greek meat sauce?  I never have made any Greek meat sauce and  put wine in it.  Two great Greek ladies from New Hampshire taught me how to make it.   Thinking that they might be "oddballs"  I took my Greek cookbook off  the shelf  and find  5 Greek meat sauce recices in it.  Not one  lists wine as an ingredient.

Heck, they do not even list  Ouzo as an ingedient!
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 21:49:43
It's OK, Greymo, some folks dont let little things like facts get in the way of stating their opinion
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/23 23:27:49
Greymo

Wine in Greek meat sauce?  I never have made any Greek meat sauce and  put wine in it.  Two great Greek ladies from New Hampshire taught me how to make it.   Thinking that they might be "oddballs"  I took my Greek cookbook off  the shelf  and find  5 Greek meat sauce recices in it.  Not one  lists wine as an ingredient.

Heck, they do not even list  Ouzo as an ingedient!

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Saltsa%20kima%20(greek%20meat%20sauce)

http://www.recipezaar.com/Greek-Meat-Sauce-Kima-175478
smokestack lightning
Cheeseburger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 03:39:40
Michael Hoffman

Actually that is absurd nonsense. Whether you like it or not is not the issue. Since milllions of people call it chili it is chili of course.  Its you who needs to get over it. Now you can write a nasty reply.  Go for it. What nonsense.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 10:50:09
smokestack lightning

Michael Hoffman

Actually that is absurd nonsense. Whether you like it or not is not the issue. Since milllions of people call it chili it is chili of course.  Its you who needs to get over it. Now you can write a nasty reply.  Go for it. What nonsense.

Ah, the smokestacker attacker again. As a matter of fact I do like it. I went out and got some for dinner a couple of nights ago. But it still isn't chili. Millions of people call a particular sauce made with cream Alfredo sauce, but it isn't Alfredo sauce at all because that sauce doesn't contain any cream.

Your turn.
dahl
Junior Burger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 12:51:39
smokestack lightning
Actually that is absurd nonsense. Whether you like it or not is not the issue. Since milllions of people call it chili it is chili of course.... 

Always answer a question with a question. Since millions of people call root beer by the name root beer, does that make it beer? 

Or, would calling root beer a kind of beer be the absurd nonsense?

dahl

ncmike1
Junior Burger
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 14:40:19
It's still a misnomer.  Just as Root Beer is a misnomer.  Of course it's not beer!  Therefore logic dictates the same with Cincinnati Chili...it's not chili.
The problem lies with whoever started calling it chili in the first place.  They were wrong, and the error lives on.
A coconut is not a nut but a seed, so many things have been misnamed over the years.  Cincinnati Chili is another one.
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 15:08:17
forget all the other terms

focus on this one

regional

do any of you alleged roadfooders understand this particular term?

based on what I am reading here, I have rather strong doubts, despite the simplicity of the term and the fact that it lies at the heart of what this website is about
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/09/24 15:10:42
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 15:32:35
TJ Jackson

focus on this one

regional

based on what I am reading here, I have rather strong doubts, despite the simplicity of the term and the fact that it lies at the heart of what this website is about

Testy, testy, testy.
jmckee
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 17:59:27
Michael Hoffman

Nonsense Michael. If Jane Stern, Michael Stern, and Calvin Trillin are OK with calling it chili, then it's chili.

I really think what's happening here is that some people are jealous that we have a well-regarded regional specialty in Cincinnati.
jmckee
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 18:03:13
TJ Jackson

focus on this one

regional

I'd have to agree. By this anti-Cincinnati-chili argument, then Cheesesteaks are not cheesesteaks at all, but Cheesehackedbeef."German" potato salad isn't potato salad at all, but a hot dish of potatoes with a non-mayo dressing, and everybody knows potato salad is cold and made with mayo and sometimes mustard. Fish tacos aren't tacos at all, because everybody knows real tacos are made with beef or pork. Cajun barbecued shrimp is actually Cajun sauted and broiled with butter and seasonings shrimp.

And Alabama barbecue isn't barbecue because good god, it's made with mayo. Maybe it's potato-saladed meat.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 19:22:01
jmckee

Michael Hoffman

Nonsense Michael. If Jane Stern, Michael Stern, and Calvin Trillin are OK with calling it chili, then it's chili.

I really think what's happening here is that some people are jealous that we have a well-regarded regional specialty in Cincinnati.

First of all, I call it Cincinnati chili. That said, I know it is not chili. It is just the name given it by the Greeks, who began selling their meat sauce at Coney Island in Cincinnati, because they figured -- probably correctly -- that the people of Porkopolis would accept that name because it was, No. 1, not threatening and, 2, familiar.

And then there's No. 3. No 3 probably is that they figured locals were dumb enough -- at that time -- to just accept it.

Of course up here in Columbus we have a well-regarded regional specialty, too. Perhaps you've heard of Johnny Marzetti.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/09/24 19:25:40
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 20:35:24
Michael Hoffman
First of all, I call it Cincinnati chili.

Really?

Let's examine the evidence

Michael Hoffman
No matter how many times you insist, TJ, it's not chili.

Michael Hoffman
It's a Greek meat sauce.

okie dokie, I think that's cleared up

I think you need to make up your mind.  Is it chili, or isn't it -- and if you decide it isn't, a second decision......do you need to repeatedly share your insistence on this issue in writing in these forums, knowing that it will inevitably lead to a "discussion" much like the one going on now. 
Greymo
Filet Mignon
RE: Cincinnati Chili 2009/09/24 20:42:10
    "Yawn"
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5