Budget minded dogs

myway
  • Total Posts : 308
  • Reward points : 0
Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 3:05 PM
Hi,
The season is fixing to start up here in Indiana. I have been urged by a few concerned Mothers to start carrying a cheaper hot dog to sell. I will still be carrying Kosher beef mind you, but due to the economics of the area, Mothers with a lot of kids cannot afford the Kosher beefs while trying to stay on a budget. Therefore they want a "regular" hot dog so they can please the whole family. Any ideas? I do not eat the regular type of hot dog. I am trying to keep it cheap, but I also want a good taste to keep those customers coming back. My wife has urged this also. Any good mixed meat varities that you know of that I might be able to get here. Trying to keep the dog cost under .15.
Thanks

DLnWPBrown
  • Total Posts : 832
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 3:28 PM
Well I like a red skin dog and would say Brightleaf or Carolina Packers if you were in my neck of the woods. Don't cringe, but how about Oscar Mayer?

Dennis in Cary

ohman
  • Total Posts : 262
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 3:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by myway

Hi,
The season is fixing to start up here in Indiana. I have been urged by a few concerned Mothers to start carrying a cheaper hot dog to sell. I will still be carrying Kosher beef mind you, but due to the economics of the area, Mothers with a lot of kids cannot afford the Kosher beefs while trying to stay on a budget. Therefore they want a "regular" hot dog so they can please the whole family. Any ideas? I do not eat the regular type of hot dog. I am trying to keep it cheap, but I also want a good taste to keep those customers coming back. My wife has urged this also. Any good mixed meat varities that you know of that I might be able to get here. Trying to keep the dog cost under .15.
Thanks
Myway look at my contact info and email me, I think I can help you out.

djtomatoe
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 6:28 PM
what about ballpark franks?
KIDS LOVE THEM, DUE TO THE NAME RECOGNITION.

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15069
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 6:56 PM

OK, I have to ask, and am not trying to create a problem at all... If you mix Kosher Beef Dogs with mixed meat (beef/pork/turkey) Dogs in your steamer/heating unit, will that create a 'Kosher diet problem' for those who observe Kosher rules? How about the utensils used on both types?
I am not familiar with the various rules and restrictions other than a few very basic ones. I also don't know your customer make-up, to know if this matters at all in your situation.

Clarify the picture for me please.

6star
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 10:02 PM
Our local Wal-Mart Super Stores often sell Bar-S hot dogs for 77 cents for a package of 8 regular-size dogs. According to the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council ( http://www.hot-dog.org/facts/TopTenHDBrands.htm ) Bar-S was in 4th place in America's Top Ten Favorite Hot Dog Brands with sales of $89 million in 2000. (Hebrew National was in 6th place with sales of $49.6 million that year.) It looks to me like this would be a cheaper hot dog that your customers might like.

By the way, this is the brand of hot dog that our Boy Scout troop sells at our food booth for Rendezvous Days as a fund raiser, and we have yet to have anyone complain about them. (We sell the basic dog for $1, chili and/or cheese are extra. Figuring in costs of buns, mustard, onions, relish, etc. and serving tray or wrap, we make about 75 cents profit on each one.)

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17848
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 10:18 PM
Al, Kosher hotdogs are not Kosher unless they are served using Kosher pots, pans and utensils under approved conditions. The hotdogs may well be Kosher to start out, but unless everything involved in their preparation is also Kosher the hotdogs are not.I frequently buy Kosher hotdogs at a Kosher market, but because my kitchen is not Kosher the Kosher hotdogs are not actually Kosher when I cook and serve them.

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3219
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 10:40 PM
Myway, I can offer the knowledge needed for success. Kindly e-mail your phone number.

CSD
Born in Chicago
Raised in Chicago
Moved to Wisconsin
Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15069
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sat, 03/25/06 11:01 PM
Thanks Michael,

EddyBees Dogs
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sun, 03/26/06 12:18 AM
Think about turkey dogs. They are usually very cheap, and some health concious people prefer them. If you can get Bakers and Chefs brand from Sams, try those. They are all beef, and they taste better than ones I paid twice for from a wholesale sausage maker. They hold up in water well. and even grill nicely. They come in frozen 10# cases. No one has ever ever complained, but I dont live in Chicago.

myway
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sun, 03/26/06 2:10 PM
Micheal is right. I contacted the local Synogogue. When it comes to Kosher, it has to be Kosher all the way. There are very few Jewish people in our area. However when I advertise Kosher Deli style hot dogs, people know that translates into a great tasting hot dog. I will try all of your suggestions. I really appreciate all of you. Thanks

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17848
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sun, 03/26/06 2:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Thanks Michael,

My pleasure.

cowboy bob 2
  • Total Posts : 101
RE: Budget minded dogs - Sun, 03/26/06 9:22 PM
Wher are you selling these dogs? With prices going up every day, I personally wouldn't bring on a cheeper dog. My lowest priced regular dog is 1.50, cost me a quarter and then they add onions, relish, mustard, ketchup and they want mayo. If I can't make profit, why do it. I get 2.50 for a plain Ft long Hebrew National, even that's cheap. This summer this is going up to $3.00, My philosophy is make money or get out of business.
Today Sunday I went to clean the trailer and sold 75.00 worth of food in 3 hrs. Not bad for never being open on Sunday's. I use hot vinegar mixed with water and wash down from ceiling to floors. then add a light coat of cooking oil, this takes out the streaks. Yesterday I added another roof vent to let out the heat. Am going to add 3 more in the next couple of weeks. It takes about 1 hr to do this.
Any ways I am moving my trailer to a new location in the upcoming weeks. the auction just added 300 more acres. the auction is now 1 mile square of macadam.
Later Cowboy bob in PA

myway
RE: Budget minded dogs - Mon, 03/27/06 3:29 PM
Hi,
Well it's true if you can't make money, get out. I live in a farm community. Most people here are not making a lot of money. Most folks work in factories here. My competition around here sell regular style hot dogs with a sloppy joe/coney sauce on them for $1.25. So in order to stay competitive, I had to come up with a cheaper hot dog. I still sell Bests' Kosher though. I will actually make more money on the cheaper dogs. But I understand the Mothers in the area wanting something cheaper for they're kids. A lot of single Moms out there trying to make ends meet. It can't be easy for them. I sell in a small town. Also do a street carnival every once in a while.

Burgerman1
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Budget minded dogs - Tue, 03/28/06 10:56 AM
Have your regular hotdog and make it good. Then have a kid-pack hotdog w/ fries, for this you may choose a cheaper brand. Great Dogs, Ballparks, Oscar Mayer.

Don't forget there are two kinds of dogs, boilable and grillable. Make sure whatever you choose is being cooked the right way. Farmland franks offers both types, check with your dist.

Kinsman
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Budget minded dogs - Tue, 03/28/06 11:48 AM
I agree with a lot of what Burgerman says.

I have a dog on my menu that is meant for kids; it's an all-beef dog that I grill and put in a grilled bun. I sell 'em for a buck and make money. Not as fast as i do on a $4.00 sandwich but still at the same percent.

I also have a Texas dog and a slaw dog on the menu at a good price but they are not as popular as the dollar dogs.....hm. Never really pictured myself as a hot dog vendor....

UncleVic
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Budget minded dogs - Tue, 03/28/06 11:50 AM
GFS sells a beef/pork skinless for something like 10 bucks for a 10lb box of 10/1's (Actually dont know todays prices, but shouldnt be too far off). That should keep the parents and rugrats happy!

Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Budget minded dogs - Tue, 03/28/06 12:15 PM
People that follow the laws of Kashrut (Kosher) will not set foot in a restaurant that hasn't been certified Kosher by a Mashgiach (someone who is trained to supervise Kosher food production) if that restaurant serves meat of any kind.

An interesting tidbit that I just learned, in the laws of Kashrut, if a small amount of one food is accidentally mixed into a larger amount of a different food, the smaller amount is deemed null and void if the ratio is 60-1 or greater. This is called "Batul".

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3219
RE: Budget minded dogs - Tue, 03/28/06 1:01 PM
I don't care what the competition sells their food for, they know what it's worth.

CSD
Born In Chicago
Raised in Chicago
Moved to Wisconsin
Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish