1800 degree oven

Mark28110
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
1800 degree oven - Thu, 06/19/03 3:01 PM
Does anyone know what brand/kind of oven Ruth Chris Steakhouse uses to cook their steaks? I know they advertise 1800 degree ovens, but I've never heard of an 1800 degree oven. Who makes it and what type of heating source do they use(gas or electric)?

VibrationGuy
  • Total Posts : 229
RE: 1800 degree oven - Thu, 06/19/03 3:31 PM
I suspect it's an IR broiler/salamander with a ceramic element that gas and air are blown through, and combustion occurs without a visible flame. Such elements were introduced by Corning Glassworks at the World's Fair in NYC where Restaurant Associates had a fine-dining restaurant (I can't place the year, I'm sorry). Such elements are currently used by DCS (Dynamic Cooking Systems) in their ovens and BBQs, and I just saw a review in Consumer Reports and Cooks Illustrated of a BBQ that uses these elements exclusively. The BBQ did quite well in CR, but at the bottom of the pack in CI, and I have to say that the critcisms CI leveled at it weren't on the mark, as far as I could see; for someone who wants a BBQ that can sear and crust meat beautifully, this particular model seemed to do a great job. I suspect it makes a crappy oven replacement for roasting a turkey; that's what smokers are for, anyway.

Eric

ocdreamr
  • Total Posts : 1109
RE: 1800 degree oven - Thu, 06/19/03 3:33 PM
The only kind of ovens I've heard of that go that high are ceramic kilns. They can be anything from wood fire through gas to electric. Can't imagine what you'd cook at that high a temperture. It can take 24hours for a kiln to cool down!!

billmann
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: 1800 degree oven - Wed, 07/30/03 1:22 PM
Yes, and no. I knew Ruth for quite a long time before she died. Had a few drinks in New Orleans with her as a matter of fact. What kind of oven? She had it designed custom. You can't buy one, and I don't think you want to spend the money to build it. So, yes, I know how they got it, but no, I don't know the secret. However, any Ruth's Chris will tell you, and show you!

Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Mark28110

Does anyone know what brand/kind of oven Ruth Chris Steakhouse uses to cook their steaks? I know they advertise 1800 degree ovens, but I've never heard of an 1800 degree oven. Who makes it and what type of heating source do they use(gas or electric)?

wesza
  • Total Posts : 54
RE: 1800 degree oven - Tue, 08/5/03 10:26 PM
The "Broilers" used at Ruth Chris,and many other Steakhouses are underfired, Ceramic "Infra Red" South Bend Broilers.

They come in Single, Double, Counter Top, and with Top Warming Oven as well as a "Salamander". There are other brands on the Market, But the South Bend is the most popular, and is used at "Ruth Chris Steakhouse". They utilize a Internal Fan to maintain and contol the high heat. It was not designed Custom , is standard and was used many years before Ruth Chris opened for business. It's most popular on the East Coast.

wesza
RE: 1800 degree oven - Tue, 08/5/03 10:29 PM
WHOOPS, Sorry the heat source is Natural or Propans Gas, on all major Infra Red Radient Heat Underfired Broilers on the market. Most can cook a 1 inch New York Stip in 4 minutes or less.

wesza
RE: 1800 degree oven - Tue, 08/5/03 10:42 PM
VibrationGuy: the year was "1964/65", and the Broilers were introduced at the New York Worlds Fair for Exibition Cooking at the Gas Pavillion, one of the Restaurant Associates Restaurants most popular at the fair. They had been on the market about 4/5 years previously, but not showcased to the public. The first used for demonstration cooking was at "La Fonda Del Sol" another Restaurant Associates operation at the Time Life Building adjacent to Rockerfeller Center in Manhatten. I was there, part of the team setting up the Kitchens and Menus. One Restaurant "Top of the Fair" had 3 Double Broilers and was Capable of Serving 1000 steaks to order for Banquets.

oakleyld
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: 1800 degree oven - Sat, 04/17/04 8:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mark28110