bourbon

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Cheeseburger
2003/06/19 17:57:51
does anybody out there like a little bourbon whiskey?
what is your fav?
get you a little woodford reserve, and sip it slow
how do you like it served?
on ice?
a little water?
i figure if they worked that hard to create a flavor profile, then why
put anything in it?
it's like putting ketchup on french food
-it just isn't done
hawkeyejohn
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/19 18:05:37
Single barrel Jack Daniels with 1 or 2 ice cubes.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/19 18:15:41
quote:
Originally posted by hawkeyejohn

Single barrel Jack Daniels with 1 or 2 ice cubes.

I do not believe Jack Daniels is a bourbon. I think it is a sour mash. Kentucky folks might get upset with the finest whiskey in the world being called a bourbon.

We had 35 Japanese pharmaceutical guys visit us in Knoxville a few years ago. The only word of English they knew was Jack Daniels and Dolly Parton.

If you ever get a chance, visit Lynchburg TN. The distillery is as ancient as they advertise it. I do not things have changed in the last 100 years. Smells good too

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/19 18:16:07
Maker's Mark is choice one... then Evan Walker.
chilled, but no ice in the glass.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/19 18:28:03
My local liquor store sells some pretty expensive bourbons. I bought one because it was recommended by a friend. I paid close to $100. Perhaps I ain't that good of a taster. I agree with the Mayor, Makers mark is pretty good stuff.

Jack Daniels is a little sweet for me.

I generally stay with Canadian Club.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/19 19:11:28
Paul,
Bardstown KY holds a tour of several of the local distilleries once a year. I don't know the cost, but you use a charter bus to go from Distillery to distillery a total of 7 to 9 on the tour. At each you watch the operation and get a sample or two of different types of Bourbon. It is my understanding that at the end of the tour a designated driver is required for each participant.
BTW there ar 21 Bourbon distilleries within an hour of Bardstown.
and (one More)
A couple of years back a tanker truck was stolen out of a parking area near Louisville while the driver was out to lunch or something...the trailer tanker was filled with 12,000 gallons of Gin, heading for the Seagram's bottling facility in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. They recovered the truck and trailer the next day in rural Indiana...but it was empty. I have always wondered how someone could drain 12,000 gallons of gin in a day...What a hell of a martini!!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/19 19:46:10
quote:
Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Paul,
Bardstown KY holds a tour of several of the local distilleries once a year. I don't know the cost, but you use a charter bus to go from Distillery to distillery a total of 7 to 9 on the tour. At each you watch the operation and get a sample or two of different types of Bourbon. It is my understanding that at the end of the tour a designated driver is required for each participant.
BTW there ar 21 Bourbon distilleries within an hour of Bardstown.
and (one More)
A couple of years back a tanker truck was stolen out of a parking area near Louisville while the driver was out to lunch or something...the trailer tanker was filled with 12,000 gallons of Gin, heading for the Seagram's bottling facility in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. They recovered the truck and trailer the next day in rural Indiana...but it was empty. I have always wondered how someone could drain 12,000 gallons of gin in a day...What a hell of a martini!!

Either that or that had one hellova straw

I wonder what they did with it

I would like to do the tour you described. If you ever get the opportunity, go to Lynchburg. The tour is very good and they allow you to stick your nose over the fermentation vat. Please be aware, it ain't nothing fancy The CO2 will knock your socks off when you stick your nose over the fermentation tanks.

Downtown Lynchburg is your kind of place. Great antiques and real downhome restaurants.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2003/06/19 21:35:27
Technically, Jack Daniels is a "Tennessee" whiskey. George Dickel and Jack Daniels are the only two whiskeys (last I knew, anyway), that can carry the designation of Tennessee, due to the unique charcoal filtering process both distilleries use. I know Jack Daniels also calls itself a "sour mash"; I don't remember if George Dickel does or not.

However, in my experience, when you are thoroughly enjoying your favorite adult beverage, you don't give a d**m what it is "technically".

For me, it's Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey 101.

I also agree with Sundance that anyone should take the tour in Lynchburg. It's a cool town, and the distillery tour is really interesting.

I also ate at a diner downtown on the square of some small town not far from there; I read about it in one of the Stern's books. Can't remember the restaurant or the town, but I'll look for it and edit my post if I find it.
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/19 23:16:46
quote:

I'm thinking pool with a couple of dozen limes sliced up in it & me on one of those floating chaises with a big straw.
Michael Stern
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 04:41:53
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

...I also ate at a diner downtown on the square of some small town not far from there; I read about it in one of the Stern's books. Can't remember the restaurant or the town, but I'll look for it and edit my post if I find it.

Maybe it was Pope's Cafe in Shelbyville? Great for meat-and-threes and pies, as I recall:

... and to answer Paul and Louise's original post, NO. I don't like a little bourbon. I like a lot. [|)][|)]
RubyRose
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 07:11:03
About 30 years ago, I won a trip to the Kentucky Derby and one of the highlights of the trip was a tour of the Maker's Mark distillery in a little town named Loretto. I have been a fan ever since.
Cosmos
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 07:48:20
Haven't had it in a while but when I do, Maker's Mark, or Jim Beam, straight-up, sippin'.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 07:58:47
Sorry ... single malt scotch man here !!

However I'll drink Bourbon if you are paying !!!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 08:02:30
Talk about a dilemma- We bought three of the Special "Secretariat" Bottles of Maker's Mark, with the all black glass and gold lettering...done to honor the 30th aniversary of the Triple Crown performance... The thought was to have something special for a Derby Party next year, or later.. Well we took the bottles out to Keeneland Race Course on the day of the BlueGrass Stakes this Spring to have them autographed (in gold ink) by by the owner of the horse, the jockey who rode him in the big races, the President of Makers Mark, and the President of Keeneland Race Track ( it was a charitable special event with the signing part of a special day's program there). To make a long story short, the day turned out to be a 6 hour wait in line for the autographs...after which we we too worn down to enjoy the day of racing, so we went home. Now I have the three bottles ($40 each) but with them all signed I see them on Ebay at $100 or more apiece. My Dilemma-- Do I drink this stuff and throw away the collector's value? Or save them, and drink the Red Seal Bottles available to all? Here is one of the bottles in it's 'presigning stage'.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 08:05:31
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

Maybe it was Pope's Cafe in Shelbyville? Great for meat-and-threes and pies, as I recall:

That's the place, Michael! Thanks!
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 08:07:57
quote:

Talk about a dilemma- We bought three of the Special "Secretariat" Bottles of Maker's Mark, with the all black glass and gold lettering...done to honor the 30th aniversary of the Triple Crown performance... The thought was to have something special for a Derby Party next year, or later.. Well we took the bottles out to Keeneland Race Course on the day of the BlueGrass Stakes this Spring to have them autographed (in gold ink) by by the owner of the horse, the jockey who rode him in the big races, the President of Makers Mark, and the President of Keeneland Race Track ( it was a charitable special event with the signing part of a special day's program there). To make a long story short, the day turned out to be a 6 hour wait in line for the autographs...after which we we too worn down to enjoy the day of racing, so we went home. Now I have the three bottles ($40 each) but with them all signed I see them on Ebay at $100 or more apiece. My Dilemma-- Do I drink this stuff and throw away the collector's value? Or save them, and drink the Red Seal Bottles available to all?

Sell those suckers on ebay, Mr. Mayor, then use the proceeds to buy a whole case of the "red seal"!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 08:17:48
Mr. Mayor: To hell with EBay, drink them now and regret tomorrow

Besides its the week end and Ebay is too much work

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Willly
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/20 09:55:04
I'm with the Mayor. Maker's Mark, but I do like a few cubes of clear ice.
CCJPO
Double Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/23 18:38:44
Maker's Mark - Drink the 1st one, if you don't like it sell the 2nd one, keep the third just case you want to re-evaluate your first decision, or have friends over and let them enjoy.
BBQ Barney
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/23 21:12:53
I thought Woodford Reserve was nirvana until I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace last month at the distillery in Frankfort, KY. Both are great sipping whiskeys!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/23 21:26:26
BBQ I got a bottle of Woodford Reserve as a gift last year (political bribe) It is really goodstuff...but the price I see it selling for is a bit out of my normal range!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2003/06/23 22:01:10
Dearfolk,
I'm not usually a Bourbon drinker, but I realllllly loved the late, lamented Maker's Mark 101, which was produced a while back. One ounce neat with a side of ice water would make me purr for hours, akin to my response from a slice of Mrs. Bonner's Sweet Tater Pie.
Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.
P. S. I found my Maker's Mark 101 in a teeny liquor store in downtown Nashville. There may still be some old stock out there someplace, especially in places like Franklin and Columbia, Tennessee....
BBQ Barney
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/24 21:03:47
Mayor----interesting that the only way I obtained a bottle of Woodford Reserve was from a big winner at the 2000 Ky Derby. I don't really know what they cost! The $20 I paid for the Buffalo Trace was OK, but not a weekly expenditure. These two bourbons, not available in DM IA, plus Churchill are two reasons I'm better off to live in Iowa.
pigface
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/24 23:03:49
Woodfords Reserve & Marker's Mark for Kentucky Bourbon
Marker's Mark uses Winter Wheat in the Mash, replacing Rye
that grain substition takes the "bite" out of thier end product.
Makes an excellent Manhantan
If you don't know what I mean by "Bite" buy a small pt of Rye Whiskey, That's BITE
George Dickel for Tennessee Whiskey, far smoother than Jack's
Dickel's Old #8 from Tullahoma, maybe 20 miles from Daniel's Old #7 in Lynchburg
I've yet to try Knob Creek, but it's on the list ...
All Neat, straight up
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2003/06/25 00:27:24
Tullahoma TN is also the home of Grannie's Catfish Restaurant. A worthy place to go for fresh ( out of the pond on the property) whiskerfish.

We take visitors to the Jim Beam Distillery for a 'place to go' ...good AV tour of the place, nice gift shop, and just across the road from the Bernhiem Forest and Nature Preserve, one of Kentucky best flora display areas.
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/25 08:33:27
Are you sure it wasn't Mary Bobo's, which is right in Lynchburg?
quote:

quote:

Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2003/06/25 09:37:35
quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

No, I didn't eat in Lynchburg. It was a cold, drizzly day, and taking that tour and then not being able to buy a "sample" anywhere made me head back toward Nashville.

Next time I'm back, though, I'll be happy to try Mary Bobo's, if you recommend it.
jpatweb
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/06/25 09:51:31
Sure, by all means check it out if you pass through that way again. It's Southern boarding house style, lunch only I think. I believe JD shows up as a backdrop in one or two of the dishes. Check out the early 90s edition of Roadfood for a write-up.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by jpatweb

No, I didn't eat in Lynchburg. It was a cold, drizzly day, and taking that tour and then not being able to buy a "sample" anywhere made me head back toward Nashville.

Next time I'm back, though, I'll be happy to try Mary Bobo's, if you recommend it.
paul and louise
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/11/02 14:41:37
have any of you bourbon sippers tried "W. L. Weller" 19 yr. old?
we got a bottle for my in-laws for thier anniversary, but they are 600 miles away....and we wonder if it is as good as they say?
they seem pleased.....it had difficulty getting there from here because we found it was unlawful to ship booze in many states
[ours included] i wonder how the internet shops get around this regulation?
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2003/11/02 15:47:30
Makers Mark---neat---or occasioanally in a Sazjarac. But im really fan of good single malt IRISH,thought scotch is fine too! and KEEP the Secratariot ,Al and enjoy! Have friend with one bottle wjo wishes hed gotten more.
Poverty Pete
RE: bourbon 2003/11/02 16:03:26
quote:

quote:

Pope's is great. I stop in for lunch every couple of weeks. I usually go for the chicken livers, but the country ham is also a winner.
Rick F.
RE: bourbon 2003/11/02 17:33:05
In descending order of preference: Knob Creek; Wild Turkey 101; Maker's Mark. And believe it or not, 10-year-old Old Grandad isn't bad! Always with ice and a bit of water. Occasionally club soda.

Scotch: Lagavulin; Laphroaig; any island whisky; Johnny Walker black.

As they add water at the factory, I add little to any except the low-end ones, the ones where you wake up and ask yourself, "Why is Gene Krupa nesting in ny head?"
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/11/02 21:04:31

The Lexington Herald-Leader
Lexington, Kentucky

Business Section, page 1
Saturday, November 1, 2003

"Brown-Forman is changing the name of its historic distillery in Versailles. The Labrot & Graham Distillery will become the Woodford Reserve Distillery, to acknowledge the bourbon made there. At the same time, the distillery will begin offering more public attractions: a new picnic veranda, bourbon to sample, three tours, rotating exhibits and a new archive building. Tours are $5 each, beginning Wednesday. For information, call (859) 879-1934. The renovated distillery was reopened in 1997."

Rick F.
RE: bourbon 2003/11/02 23:54:11
quote:
Originally posted by paul and louise

have any of you bourbon sippers tried "W. L. Weller" 19 yr. old?
Don't know if it was the 19-year-old: probably not, as it struck me as being somewhat harsher than Knob Creek. Incidentally, I think a lot of interstate commerce in booze has to do with transfers from one federally licensed dealer in one state to the same in another. State & local regulations get involved, too: for a while when I lived in TN I had to cross the state line & make an illegal purchase or else drive 45 min. to get communion wine.
topferment
Hamburger
RE: bourbon 2003/11/03 00:12:17
Here's another vote for Maker's Mark. Served neat except for during the summer when I like it on the rocks. It also makes a great Old Fasioned.

If I've had a particularly trying day a good shot of Wild Turkey 101 with a beer chaser does wonders!!!
Poverty Pete
RE: bourbon 2003/11/03 05:19:32
When I go camping, I like to take along a pint of Jim Beam Black. Good product for a reasonable price. Living just a couple of miles from Dickel, I'm also partial to George Dickel No. 12, although I'm not sure why they ship it to Indiana for bottling.
dendan
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2003/11/04 12:02:52
By FAR the best is Woodfor Reserve. Nice place to visit as well!
Tristan Indiana
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2004/02/14 17:02:50
Beam for mixing, Makers mark neat. BTW I never heard the pharse meat and 3 until I started reading Roadfood.com. My guess is that its a meat entree with 3 veg. sides. Is that right?
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2004/02/14 17:16:02
Yep Tristan,thats a meat and three, and i rarely drink bourbon but if i do its usually Makers Mark. Actually i prefer a single malt Irish but they arent always around so i usually have single malt scotch or Brandy.
Rick F.
RE: bourbon 2004/02/14 22:41:59
quote:
Originally posted by tiki

Yep Tristan,thats a meat and three, and i rarely drink bourbon but if i do its usually Makers Mark. Actually i prefer a single malt Irish but they arent always around so i usually have single malt scotch or Brandy.
I didn't like Irish--thought it tasted like incomplete scotch--until I ran into Black Bush. Is that a single malt?
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 00:07:51
Bourbon is my favorite drink. Neat.
Here are my current favorites:

>$30 George T. Stagg, Van Winkle 12 YO "Lot B", Wathen's Single Barrel

>$20 Evan Williams Single Barrel, Woodford Reserve

>$10 Jim Beam Black, Elijah Craig, Buffalo Trace
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 06:05:59
quote:
Originally posted by Rick F.

quote:

I didn't like Irish--thought it tasted like incomplete scotch--until I ran into Black Bush. Is that a single malt?

I think so Rick but even if i'm wrong,its good! Since its --Bushmills that is,--the oldest extant distillery in the world would expect them to be able to make a decent product.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 07:15:58
Rick--just check notes and Black IS a blend---you might try Redbreat 12yr old.Bushmills Artist Reserve,Cooley--i like that one alot, Or Greenmore--all nice, Ans Cobbamara makes a single malt peated Irish thats very nice but i cant tell it from a scotch
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 10:28:56
In northwoods Wisconsin, Kesslers is the whiskey of choice. Although it's advertised as "smooth as silk," it's akin to swallowing razor blades. Kesslers mixed with Mountain Dew exterminates unwanted critters; the sweetness attracts them and the alcohol does them in.
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 10:41:33
I like Jack Daniels "on the rocks" once in a while. But I'm really a cognac person at heart.
barrydc
Junior Burger
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 12:35:05
Elijah Craig... 18 year.

Yum.
Grampy
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 12:41:07
When I reach for amber these days, it is single malt -- with a stress on the sin. The house bourbon here is Makers Mark. Does anyone still drink Rebel Yell? It used to be a favorite of the Stones for a while way back.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 13:54:48
Chicago Doggie,
You've restored my faith in drinking-age-America. In the Louisville area, We refer to the drink made with Mountain Dew and One of the 'less-well-known' brands of Bourbon ( Bartons- Old Bardstown- J W Dant- among others) as theRedneck Whiskey Sour.It is usually served in a 44 oz.Big Gulp Cup with NASCAR logo's on the cup.
There are a number of less well known brand names that may not pass the "Yup Smoothness Test" but they do get the job done quite well at times.
One of the perks to being a part of the Maker's Mark Marketing Club is that you can have your name blazed onto a barrel of the stuff when it is distilled and set aside...Then when the barrel comes of age for bottling they will invite you to a tasting as the product is being bottled. It is a fun time, and makes me feel a part of the local bourbon coulture here. At last report you could buy "your barrel" for a mere $4000 if you wanted to keep it a real Private Reserve".
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 14:16:55
Al--exactly how much bourbon is in that $4000 barrel?
Grampy
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 15:07:17
quote:

Al--exactly how much bourbon is in that $4000 barrel?

Not nearly enough.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 18:42:37
The sundancer does not dilute his favorite libation with anything except ice cubes.

I have enjoyed Makers Mark several times with friends on my dock but still my favorite is rye. Good old Canadian rye. Unless health conditions prevail, I will still enjoy it daily. Good Cheers to all who enjoy.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 19:16:22
Tiki,
I don't know the quantity of the whiskey in a barrel, but I believe it is a standard measure that must be recorded somewhere...Anyone have an idea of the amount in question????
Grampy
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 19:38:22
I may be wrong , but aren't they 50 gallon? Hey, my beverage of preference is shaken, not stirred.
Poverty Pete
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 19:47:42
A barrel of beer is 31 gallons. I'm not sure, but I think a barrel of whiskey is 52, of which about 25-30% would be lost to evaporation, which would then yield about 38 gallons. If my estimate is right, by buying a barrel, one would end up with about 15 cases of .75 liter bottles.
What do I get if I win?
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 20:10:55
quote:
Originally posted by Poverty Pete

What do I get if I win?

One incredible hangover...
lamertz
Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 20:15:35
Miss Mary Bobo's is delightful. Isn't Lynchburg in a dry county?
Makers Mark for me.I love a perfect Manhatten. If there is no MM,then I'll have Gearge Dickel.
Poverty Pete
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 20:23:14
Lynchburg is indeed in a dry county, but it's a very small county. Go ten miles in any direction from Lynchburg, and you're out of the dry county. Also, JD has a special dispensation from the county, and is allowed to sell bottles to the public, although one cannot sample the product at the tour.
Dickel is just outside Tullahoma, in a place called Cascade Hollow. The distillery shut down operations for several years, due to an overabundance of product. I think they started up again last year.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 20:27:36
Though it's technically not a bourbon, I think Dickel #12 is a fine whisky. I prefer it to Jack Daniels by a large margin.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
RE: bourbon 2004/02/15 21:14:57
quote:
Originally posted by pogophiles

Though it's technically not a bourbon, I think Dickel #12 is a fine whisky. I prefer it to Jack Daniels by a large margin.

Pogophiles,
I would have to concur, given the choice is between those two. A construction company owner in Nashville told me that Dickel had fewer impurities because it isn't "rushed" like Jack Daniels seems to him to be.
I still say I prefer Maker's Mark, and would really love to have some more of their no-longer-produced 101 version. Gracious, that stuff could turn me into a bona-fide Bourbon drinker....
Daydreamingly, Ort. Carlton in Wet-For-Whisky-Since-1967-And-I-Worked-In-That-Election Athens, Georgia.
Roll Tide
Junior Burger
RE: bourbon 2004/02/16 03:27:35
I am a Jack Daniels man for many years, but I agree it is not bourbon. I have spent 20 years drinking Jack and preaching its superiority over Kentucky bourbon. And then I found Bookers. Bookers is Jim Beam's uncut-unfiltered whiskey. Straight from barrel to bottle. About 127 proof but smooth and warm. It appears most of the postings favor Maker's. I suggest at your next opportunity you have some Bookers. It has a bit of a kick but will warm you from head to toe. And I think all whiskey should be drank either neat or over ice.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2