Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds

Filet Mignon
2003/06/20 19:56:02
I've recently become addicted to chiccarones-----Mexican fried pork rinds. Can't seem to get enough of them. I've been buying them in a Mexican market------tastes a lot different than the ones in the plastic bags. Are these strictly a Mexican specialty or are there other types too?
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/21 19:32:48
Strictly Mexican as far as I know. There are lots of bagged varieties you can buy, but fresh-made ones are done in the fall/winter when it's "hog-killin'" time.
pigface
Cheeseburger
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/21 19:44:13
5 Ounce bag for $2.69
Honey Bee Market
Mexican Town, Detroit
All of the ones we buy are made in Chicago
I don't think them things are Good for Your Health
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/21 20:12:15
Our Walmart has them in bulk and sells them in one of those long paper popcorn bags for 69 cents at the deli...normal or hot and spicy.
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/23 10:59:59
The fried pork skins are our official road trip food. I suppose it is a tradition, but we only have them in the car and on long trips. Driving in the city does not count. Strange but true.

scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/23 11:19:20
You can buy the microwaveable ones !!

Just like popcorn. You put them in the micro for about 4 minutes and out comes a big ole bag of hot, fluffy and tasty chiccarones !!!!

Can't remember the brand name, as the bag is at home and I don't have any with me here at work !
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/24 16:19:40
Is their name just another name for fried pork rinds?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/24 16:21:03
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Yep!
EdSails
Filet Mignon
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/24 18:19:07
If all I had to do was microwave them I'd be in real trouble!
I found another place that makes them in two styles.......besides the regular ones that are skin only they have a style with a little meat on them, thick and really greasy. I had to try them............delicious but really oozed the fat. I'd never seen them before-----maybe they're a regional thing or?
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/06/24 20:30:26
This thread brings up some intersting points.

When I was very young, my grandfather who lived in upper East Tennessee was educated, but lived literally on a farm. Each Thanksgiving, he would kill hogs where the pig was slaughtered, hung, hair was removed, gutted, disected and the rest is history. Hams were quartered, sausage was made, pork chops was canned and you probably know the rest.

The interesting part was where the fat was rendered for lard which was for cooking and what was left was the pork rinds. This was cut up and used in cornbread except for the old timers who would take the pork rinds while they were hot and head to the woods where they would enjoy the tasy pork rinds along with the quality made moonshine or brandy and use the frosty ice from Thankgiving in late November to cool the tasty moonshine.

I suppose my grandfather copied this concoction from the Hispanics.

I tasted this and they were great. I have never tasted them so great since then

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/07/14 02:52:49
Chinese stands by the beach used to sell "Shrimp chips" which were big, artificially colored pink or green sort-of-shrimpy-tasting puffs with the exact same texture and consistency of chicharrones.
Michael Anderson
Junior Burger
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/07/18 22:14:14
Chicharrones...(chee-cha-roh-nay..)..as you all know for sure IS a True Hispanic Word. ...which means/refers to the item we're talking about. IT is also(within the Hispanic vernacular) formed as a contraction, or Slang...as Cheech.., short for "Little Pork Skin". Yes, you may have guessed IT ... just like "CHEECH" as in "CHEECH" and CHONG". HE was really and Truly named THAT by a relative shortly after HE was born. Check IT out all you American sceptics! Most Hispanics know this...and would reply with a strong correction if NOT true...I hope. BUT THEN,...how many Hispanics think of Roadfood like some others do??? ... I dun'O ... but, I DO KNOW ... I LOVE EVERYBODY!!! CARRAMBA>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
WilJones
Junior Burger
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2003/07/18 23:56:08
In the southeast, we call them Cracklins. They are peices of pork skin, with a chunk of fat still attached, and the "friend out"- deep fried until crunchy. Not sure who influenced who- but I imagine as long as there's been a pig there's been a similar snack. The Chicharrones I've seen appear to be much more like cracklins than pork rinds- which are the fried skin w/o the fat. Whatever you call them, and whoever makes them- they're a delicious snack- better than any potato chip!!! Side note>>> cracklins are also the crisp skin/fat from a whole roasted hog- and these are even better than the fried ones!!!
carlton pierre
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2004/10/23 06:11:26
Best ones I have found are made in Clarksdale, MS at a company called Kim's Processing. If you want good crunchy ones, that make pork rinds. If you like the puffy ones they call them "pork skins". They make a fantastic chicken cracklin as well. Believe you have to order by phone, if you can't find them in a store.

carl reitz
whitebf6
Junior Burger
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2005/01/29 08:51:44
hey! I was wondering has anyone of you guys ever heard of KIM'S pork skins, because I've been trying to find them here in st paul, mn but I can't find them here like I could in Mississippi, if anyone of you guys know what I'm talking about can you please give me information on where I kind find them here in Minnesota, Mississippi, or any place else please let me know. Thanks!
ericats
Cheeseburger
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2005/01/29 10:34:32
quote:
Originally posted by Bushie

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<div style="border: 1px #999999 solid; background-color: #DCDCDC; padding: 4px;">Originally posted by Sundancer7

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Yep!

Sorry guys, but there is also "soft" chicharrones. When you live in a heavily latino area you learn very quickly that there are two types of chicharrones: hard and soft.
DawnT
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2008/08/27 11:06:44
In South Fl,there's several brands of chicharrones in every supermarket. It's a very common snack food here.
WarToad
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2008/08/27 11:24:40

I've seen them all over the US in the past few years. I've even found them up here in the sparsely populated flatlands of northern North Dakota.
Mrs.Crunch
Cheeseburger
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2008/08/27 11:49:44
If you check out 'gratefulpalate" they have the microwave pork rinds $2.95 a bag and even sell bacon popcorn by Loveless Cafe at $33.00 a gallon. Fatherscountryhams.com also has mail order pork cracklins that come in flavors like BBQ pork, Jalapeno and Cajun at 1 pound for $5.00.

Rusty246
RE: Chiccarones--Fried Pork Rinds 2008/08/27 11:58:16
A few years ago I tried the micro ones and remember them being quite nasty. Bought some "Howard's" brand in Cocoa, very bad. The taste stays with you literally for hours and hours. Here we have a "Dad's" brand that's pretty good, my boss is addicted and eats them only at work, she's hiding them from her husband. "Wallace" makes a good one too. At one time they were based out of NC, not sure if they still are. I tend to stick with the "regular" flavors, occasionally a Bak-n-et(sp?)hot and spicey though. I've never been brave enough to try the salt and vinegar and think I never shall be.