Food handler certs and state fairs

adbunting
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points : 0
Food handler certs and state fairs - Thu, 04/27/06 11:49 PM
Can a food handler safety training cert travel? Meaning if I obtain one in Nevada and travel to state fairs with a catering trailer, does it cover me for all of the states I work?

April

prisonchef
  • Total Posts : 296
RE: Food handler certs and state fairs - Fri, 04/28/06 4:09 PM
if you have a professional food safety managers cert from serv safe it will be recognized in florida and as a matter of fact is required here.
a food handlers card wont cut it from what i have been lead to believe

djtomatoe
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Food handler certs and state fairs - Sun, 04/30/06 1:33 PM
i assume you are referring to a food handlers card.
in oregon, the card covers the whole state, but if i go outside of my home state, i would check with the health dept. for the state i was going to

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3219
RE: Food handler certs and state fairs - Sun, 04/30/06 9:53 PM
To my knowledge, a food handler's certification is only valid for the state of issuance. However, some states require the certification for any mobile vendor using a permanent location that's licensed with a commissary/base station. Should that vendor travel out of state for an "event," a temporary restaurant license may be all that's required, along with setting up a mobile base station. Check with the local health department in the state of the event. The event chairperson may require a certificate of insurance for participation and the city may require a peddler's permit as well as a temporary restaurant license. Each municipality is different.

CSD

Born in Chicago
Escaped to Wisconsin
Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish

adbunting
  • Total Posts : 72
RE: Food handler certs and state fairs - Wed, 05/3/06 6:22 PM
Yeah, thanks...

I'm trying to ferret out info on vendors who do State Fair circuits and how they handle the food health requirements for each.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who skirt the issue but I want it to work. I mean, I've seen some vendors in small local venues with only covered shade cloth booths, crock pots, fryers, roasters, fold down tables...what's up with that?

I agree about contacting the site of the event. But what about off-site/home based products? Like for instance, if I wanted to make cupcakes, cookies, candies or tarts for events in my home facility and take them on the road (with proper storage of course)

I'm sure there's a definition between hot food on-site and all the other stuff...like candy apples for instance...

I just don't know where to find it!

Hey, what about the competitions from home bakers and <brrrr> the canning/jam stuff? Do judges have to have rare and unusual insurance? <LOL>

Anyway, thanks for the input...anyone else?

April

chicagostyledog
  • Total Posts : 3219
RE: Food handler certs and state fairs - Wed, 05/3/06 11:55 PM
April, mobile vendors in the state of Wisconsin are only allowed to sell pre-packaged and pre-processed food. Food for vending may only be purchased from a commercial, restaurant quality, wholesale purveyor. I can't purchase food from a retail store and resell it. I can't process food on the cart(cut or slice). Food must be purchased pre-cooked and pre-sliced. All we can do is heat & serve. I can't use a Nesco. I can't cook or bake in my home. The liability of home cooking is a risk with a potential law suit. The cleanest home kitchens can be contaminated by pets and humans. Non-profit, fund raising activities at churches and schools fall under different rules & regulations. While their products are prepared at home and served to the public, there's no strict control, with the exception of a mini helath department course. You'll learn the do's & don'ts when you take a food handler's course. After completing the course, you'll think twice about eating something after careful observation of a handler, along with knowledge of critical temperatures, and proper storage and protection procedures. Being trained gives one a whole new perspective about proper food handling, where hand washing is the most critical component.

CSD

Born in Chicago
Escaped to Wisconsin
Selling Vienna Beef hot dogs & Polish

Dr of BBQ
  • Total Posts : 3716
RE: Food handler certs and state fairs - Thu, 05/25/06 8:40 PM
April Wrote I've seen some vendors in small local venues with only covered shade cloth booths, crock pots, fryers, roasters, fold down tables...what's up with that?

It depends on the local health department. It’s interesting to note that in Illinois you can take the test to become certified in food handling and it’s good everywhere but within the city limits of Chicago. In Chi town you have to take a different class and test every year. Let me tell you concerning events, you’ll need to work almost a year ahead of yourself. At the latest most events allow sign up for a July event in January. So say you want to do an event every other weekend during the summer you’d need about 25 K to get started. Any good-sized event is going to charge $1500.00 to $3000.00 dollars for your contract but that includes water and electric.

April asked about off-site/home based products? Like for instance, if I wanted to make cupcakes, cookies, candies or tarts for events in my home facility and take them on the road.

April I’ve worked events that had local health department inspectors that would fall over dead if anyone even thought of bringing something in that was cooked in a private residence kitchen. No Way No How.
If it requires being cooked you have to have an inspected kitchen. Or you have to cook it on site. I recently did an event at Eastern Illinois University and had been forewarned that the health inspector there was a crazy lady. Well she came the first night during set up and left after raising hell because I had removed my freezer from my trailer and transferred the food to a refrigerator, allowing it to thaw. She said next time she had to see the freezer. So no big deal then she comes in the 1st day of the art fair and writes me up for not having a hand sink. I said wait a minute it’s right there bolted to the wall it’s part of a four-sink combination and it’s designated for hand washing only. She said well you didn’t point it out when I was here yesterday. LMAO If you want to see my mobile kitchen, which by Illinois law is a legal commissary if it’s plugged into electricity go to www.DrofBBQ.com

April asked Do judges have to have rare and unusual insurance?

I don’t think so lol but I do know you’d better have at least one million in liability for events and some require two million

The Doctor of BBQ
www.DrofBBQ.com
Jack@DrofBBQ.com