Peppermint Balls

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 72
trobichaux
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Peppermint Balls - Fri, 05/5/06 3:37 PM
Years ago, my grandmother had these peppermint balls that dissolved in your mouth.

I can't remember what they were called, but when someone in my office brought some soft "Bob's" peppermints, we all started talking about the old peppermint balls that dissolved in your mouth.

Does anyone know what they were called or where you can find them?

emsmom
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Peppermint Balls - Fri, 05/5/06 4:05 PM
I remember those. They had red and white ones which were peppermint and green and white ones which were spearmint. When we were kids, we tossed them to our dog to see what she would do. They would disspear
real fast in her mouth and she would start barking
quote:
Originally posted by trobichaux

Years ago, my grandmother had these peppermint balls that dissolved in your mouth.

I can't remember what they were called, but when someone in my office brought some soft "Bob's" peppermints, we all started talking about the old peppermint balls that dissolved in your mouth.

Does anyone know what they were called or where you can find them?

aleswench
  • Total Posts : 686
RE: Peppermint Balls - Fri, 05/5/06 4:19 PM
I love those things - last time I got them they were from I think it is called the Vermont Country Store catalog - it's printed on newspaper-paper and all the pictures are drawn, not photographed. They carried them. When I looked on-line, the website does not have them - I may have the name of the catalog wrong though. When I get it again, I'll check...Sue

Diner-Lover
  • Total Posts : 246
RE: Peppermint Balls - Fri, 05/5/06 5:52 PM
Are they called "Peppermint Puffs"? I found them recently in a local farmers' market at a penny candy stand. They aren't soft, but once you bite into them, they melt in your mouth pretty quickly. I remember them coming in spearmint, but the ones I had were red and white peppermint.

Here are a few sites that have Peppermint Puffs:

http://www.groovycandies.com/V2ProdDetail1.asp?Product_ID=415

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/candy-crate/buttertoffee.html

http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/p1649.htm

http://www.candyattic.com/pepu.html

dasl_4
  • Total Posts : 187
RE: Peppermint Balls - Sun, 05/7/06 5:36 PM
Are you talking about bon-bons
they had them in mint orange lemon strawberry lime cherry puffs .. bags were really cheap .. under a buck at K-mart type stores? Almost like a merengue texture .. Like a stale crunchy melt think going on...and had colored stripes to go with their flavor

dasl_4
RE: Peppermint Balls - Sun, 05/7/06 6:16 PM
These are similiar looking .. but they were not individually wrapped
they use to be pale yellow yellow stipes = lemon
pale pink red stripes cherry
pale orange/dk.orange stripes .. pale green/dk.green stripes etc.
they were a different brand and looked prettier though

trobichaux
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 05/8/06 2:56 PM
Those aren't the ones. As I recall, there were two flavors: peppermint (red and white stripe) and spearming (green and white stripe).

I think they had a thin, but crisp, outer shell that once you bit into it, the whole thing began to dissolve.

efuery
  • Total Posts : 630
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 05/8/06 3:19 PM
I remember those! If fact, I think I saw some at The Christmas Tree Shop of all places. I was there over the weekend seeing what this weeks assortment of useless junk was and I remember noticing them and saying to myself - Those look like those dissolving mint candies mom used to buy us. I did not take a closer look however as I had already been in the store about 20 minutes and had to get out or lose my sanity.

pcdiva
  • Total Posts : 591
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 05/8/06 5:19 PM
I remeber them coming in a can rather than a bag. I know I got some as a treat when I had my tonsils out. (in 1969...)

SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: Peppermint Balls - Wed, 05/10/06 4:14 PM
I too have been looking for these type of "puff balls" forever. They were my Mother's favorite, and I did use to buy them at K-Mart. I have searched, and searched the internet but to no avail. I have found the ones that are similiar, but not the same. I don't think they make them any more. If someone finds them, please let me know. It would be very much appreciated as my only niece has been wanting them too.

dasl_4
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 05/11/06 5:32 PM
So embarrassed to shop at K-Mart then .. the bon-bons made it better ;~)

roossy90
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 05/15/06 8:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by efuery

I remember those! If fact, I think I saw some at The Christmas Tree Shop of all places. I was there over the weekend seeing what this weeks assortment of useless junk was and I remember noticing them and saying to myself - Those look like those dissolving mint candies mom used to buy us. I did not take a closer look however as I had already been in the store about 20 minutes and had to get out or lose my sanity.

I love the Christmas Tree Shop's. I also have to get in and get out, otherwise, I will be there forever and buying anything and everything.
That is where I used to get my Portuguese Muffins when I lived in Maine.
I have seen candy there that I hadn't seen in years.

SassyGritsAL
RE: Peppermint Balls - Wed, 05/17/06 12:25 PM
Where is the "Christmas Shop" located and do they mail order?

SWEETS
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 06/28/07 4:26 PM
hi there. i was looking to see if i could find the darn things, when I ran across this site. WHITMAN'S candy made the puffed air peppermint balls, which came in a green can with peppermint balls all over the label, and of course, being the afficianado that I am i have of course called whitman's, only to discover that they discontinued the product. probably the dumbest marketing mistake they ever made, as the candy was truly 'melt in your mouth', and I never found another brand. Sigh...those were the days...

plb
  • Total Posts : 1020
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 06/28/07 8:17 PM
My late mother used to buy something similar that she always called "Moth Balls." She lived in Indiana and someone above mentioned Indiana. Not sure if they are the same thing.

dasl_4
RE: Peppermint Balls - Fri, 06/29/07 12:30 AM
quote:
Spearmint Puffs .. Not like a typical hard candy, these were roughly the size, shape and weight of a pingpong ball and would dissolve INSTANTLY in your mouth. They came in a medium sized clear plastic bag and were also available in butterscotch or cherry. I wish I knew the name. Used to get em at Eckerd Drugs. So, sooo good.

it is on one of those lists of discontinued 70's candies

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1136
RE: Peppermint Balls - Fri, 06/29/07 5:24 PM
Trobichaux, I know exactly what you are talking about. We have a candy company called Elmer's and they made "mint bubbles." They came in a pop top can in mint and I think spearmint. You'd pop the whole thing in your mouth and they'd dissolve on your tongue. The comapny's still around, but I don't think the're around anymore.

tmadden
RE: Peppermint Balls - Sat, 11/17/07 1:45 PM
I remember these also, but I got hooked on the butterscotch ones, that I originally found in Steamboat Springs, CO on a skiing trip with my family around 1970. They came in a bag of about 25-30 baalls. Then I was able to buy them in K-mart or the five & dime. Then they disappeared, and I have been looking for them for a few years now!! I HAVE come across the peppermint ones, but I don't care for mint too much, so I don't even know where I saw them! If anyone comes across the butterscothch ones... feel free to e-mail me!! I would LOVE to have them again!! Thanks! :)~

flameworker
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 11/27/07 11:31 AM
My daughter and I were just talking about these the other day. We would buy a bag and, because they are so light and fluffy, we would think "they can't really be bad for you--they're nothing but air." Until one of us got a stomachache. Good times!

I emailed customer service at Whitman's candy. Sadly, they no longer make Peppermint Puffs and did not know of another company that does.

scurry
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Peppermint Balls - Sat, 12/1/07 10:16 PM
Arnold's Candies makes an unwrapped "party puff" that comes in a variety of flavors, including peppermint and wintergreen.

www.georgehowe.com/store/Products/Party-Puffs__07115.aspx
www.groovycandies.com/V2brand_listALL.asp?mfg_id=53

SassyGritsAL
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 12/3/07 11:37 AM
These "puff" mints were me and my mom's fav. too. I also remember getting them at K-Mart. I just don't think they are made any more. I have searched and searced the internet for them. The sites listed in this topic are mostly the "pillow" shaped one and these were round ball shaped.

efbjunk
RE: Peppermint Balls - Wed, 12/5/07 1:44 PM
AS far as I know they were called "Air Bon" Peppermint balls...and they did come in a green can (carboard can, maybe?) and maybe they were a Russell Stover product? They were not expensive, but were absolutley the best mints I have had to date....If anyone finds them...we want to know! LOL

jvsmom
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 12/10/07 6:46 PM
I was at a doctor's appointment today, and they had a basket of these at the receptionist's desk. I immediately thought of this thread and tried one - tasted similar to a buttermint. I had never tried one before, but now I'm hooked.

For what it's worth, the wrapper says "Bob's Sweet Stripes." I just googled them, and they seem pretty readily available, on line, at least.

SassyGritsAL
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 12/11/07 11:44 AM
jvsmom - I still think that these are not the "puffed" ones we are looking for. I have tried the Bob's version and all though good not the peppermint balls.

Thank you for letting us know though.

dadiva1908
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 12/13/07 5:19 PM
Like you, I've often wondered what happened to those delicious lil balls...I think I used to get them at Woolworth's.

I found them online after a 15 minute search. God bless the internet! :O)

It was King Leo that sold them:

https://ssl2.chi.us.securedata.net/qcandy.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=2

Happy snacking!

dasl_4
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 12/13/07 10:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by dadiva1908

Like you, I've often wondered what happened to those delicious lil balls...I think I used to get them at Woolworth's.

I found them online after a 15 minute search. God bless the internet! :O)

It was King Leo that sold them:

https://ssl2.chi.us.securedata.net/qcandy.com/merchantmanager/index.php?cPath=2

Happy snacking!

That's not them either

SassyGritsAL
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 01/22/08 11:34 AM
These are still not the old peppermint puffs. They were complety round like a small ball and came in wintergreen too. I have searched and searched the internet for them and they are no longer made. The ones call puffs today are not the ones we bought at K-Mart years ago.

jeh7774
RE: Peppermint Balls - Fri, 02/22/08 10:56 AM
Hey I am glad I saw this I was looking on the web to try to find these things and ran across this thread. I know exactly what you are talking about I think they were called air bons or something similar. They came in a can with stripes, they were pepermint and spearmint. I loved them both. My mom and Grandmom used to get them. They were expensive and there was only one drug store in town that had them. I think the high price had to do with the drugstore not the mint. They always called them bon bon's but they were actually air bons or something similar. They were the best, they were about the size of a rubber ball. It had a hard thinlayer on the outside and the inside was like hard dried custard. If you did not keep the top on the can they would get kind of gooey and start to dissolve from the humidity. About 1985 was the last time I recall seeing them. Will keep checking in to see if anything turns up.

BelleReve
  • Total Posts : 1136
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 02/25/08 3:59 PM
There were probably other companies making them, but in the South - my guess is they were Elmer's mint bubblets. The company still makes seasonal easter candy and boxed chocolates but discontinued the mint candies sometime in the 1970's.

debdog42
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 03/6/08 8:11 AM
I think Brach's made some too. I loved the butterscotch ones! This brand might be worth a try:
http://www.piedmontcandy.com/products.html
Check their purchase page to see where to get them. Lots of local stores.

snowkat
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 04/8/08 6:23 PM
Years ago when I lived on Long Island, we used to get this candy that
looked liked sponges, and it would melt in your mouth. It was made
from molasses. Well, as usual it disappeared too. A few years ago
my grandmother got this catalog from The Vermont Country Store and
guess what was inside? YUP, the candy. Well they claim that they
can find anything. They're on the web, check them out, maybe they
can help find the candy. (I remember that candy too, we used to get
it at Walgreens and K-Mart).

pittpanther
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 05/27/08 7:46 PM
My sister and I were just talking about this candy recently... we also used to buy it from Woolworth's, G.C. Murphy's and K-Mart. We thought it was from Brach's - and preferred the non-mint flavors (especially cherry!)

I checked out some of the recommendations in this thread, but I do not believe any are the same :(...

sugarbritches
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 10/28/08 8:12 PM
I'm glad to know I am not the only person who has spent countless hours looking for these old favorites. The closest I've found (most or all of them referenced here) are still too much like a buttermint in texture. The way I've described these are ping-pong ball weight as well as sized/shaped- with a crunchy shell on the outside and an airy center that melts instantly when bitten into. I liken the texture to cotton candy that has been exposed to heat (left in a car) long enough to flatten much of the air out. Like Jeh7774 said, if you left the lid off the canister, they would stick together. We got ours mostly at the local "five and dime" where mint was common but certain times of the year they had the fruit flavors. From time to time, K-Mart would have them but they only carried the mint. MAN, I wish somebody would make these again.

Capybara91
  • Total Posts : 240
RE: Peppermint Balls - Wed, 10/29/08 10:30 AM

mland520
  • Total Posts : 485
RE: Peppermint Balls - Wed, 10/29/08 10:57 AM
Sees Candy in California makes these also....and they are available by mail order.

cin
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 11/4/08 7:29 PM
Today, I just found the wintergreen puff balls. Go to www.HSN.com and type in wintergreen puff candy for the search. You can order on line.

They are goooood!

shybug
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 11/18/08 12:26 AM
I remember these and have been looking for them for a long time. My great Grandmother always kept a can of these next to her chair where she watched tv. I really wish these were still being made or if they are, where to find them. These are totally different from the Bob's or King Leo's brand, these 2 brands do melt in your mouth, but not instantly like the air light puffs so many others are describing and trying to locate. These were so light you could crush them in your hand into powder with no effort.

ellen4641
  • Total Posts : 3531
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 11/18/08 1:30 AM
how about some good sugar free wrapped mints?!? (with a nice natural taste)
Anything good out there?

ellen4641
RE: Peppermint Balls - Wed, 11/19/08 8:42 PM
Well, any good sugar free wrapped mints?
Hurry, as it's getting lonely on this "snacks and candy" forum !!!

Capybara91
RE: Peppermint Balls - Wed, 11/19/08 9:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

Well, any good sugar free wrapped mints?
Hurry, as it's getting lonely on this "snacks and candy" forum !!!

Well, I did find some vodka-filled chocolates from Finland in the Vermont Country Catalog. I didn't check out the sugar content.

Ma'am, you looked like candy in that Halloween jail-bird outfit. That's a compliment, not a come-on.

ellen4641
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 11/20/08 12:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Capybara91[/i
Ma'am, you looked like candy in that Halloween jail-bird outfit. That's a compliment, not a come-on.

Thank you! I'll gladly take that compliment..
(stay tuned for next Halloween when I plan to go as a "naughty Girl Scout"...)
Trick or Treat!!!!

Now back to our regular programming...
that sweet candy talk!

Capybara91
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 11/20/08 5:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ellen4641

quote:
Originally posted by Capybara91[/i

Thank you! I'll gladly take that compliment..
(stay tuned for next Halloween when I plan to go as a "naughty Girl Scout"...)
Trick or Treat!!!!

Now back to our regular programming...
that sweet candy talk!

And, for that, we shall all give thanks. As the Boy Scout motto goes, "On my honor I will do my best, to help the Girl Scouts..." But I digress. Must focus on peppermint balls.

andrewt
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 12/1/08 9:21 PM
If anyone is still reading these. Ive been searching for awhile now. And I think i have to say i found them. Or atleast the closest things that look like them. im ordering them as we speak!

http://www.fortnumandmason.com/Product/Strawberry-Bon-Bons,4987,337.aspx

andrewt
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 12/1/08 9:24 PM
Their not in bags like when they were sold at kmart. but these look the closest out of everything ive searched for. its worth a try.

tmadden
RE: Peppermint Balls - Mon, 12/1/08 9:57 PM
Hey Andrew! Let me know if they really are the puffed sugar balls! It's hard to tell from the pix on the web site! I've been searching for the butterscotch ones!!! :)~

MGWerks
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 12/4/08 12:02 AM
Bought a huge plastic tub of these individually-wrapped at Costco or a very reasonable price. You know, for a container that size, they sure didn't last too long!

Cinnamom
RE: Peppermint Balls - Thu, 12/4/08 11:55 PM
I've been wishing and wishing that I could find Elmer's Fruit Bubblets for AGES! Just ran across this thread after posting a 'wish I could find ...' customer request to Vermont Country Store. The peppermint ones were okay, but my brother & I just loved the fruit ones. I've often thought of them as having the approximate texture of semi-solidified cotton candy in a crunchy shell. I loved the way they just collapsed into a puddle of flavor in the mouth, but I loved to crunch them, too. I would eat so many my tongue would get sore from 'sugar burn'! I'd sure like to find these again. Oooo, butterscotch flavor sounds FABULOUS!!! Elmer;s only made fruit flavored and mint flavored. I'd settle for 'close' if that's all I could find, I guess.

ChicagoIrish
  • Total Posts : 71
Re:Peppermint Balls - Sat, 12/27/08 7:50 AM
I too loved these mints and have been looking for them as well.  Not sure if these are the same, but they do look very similar...

http://www.candywarehouse.com/mintballs.html

nostalgicfoodguy
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Peppermint Balls - Sun, 01/4/09 4:01 PM
I remember these 'Air Bons' type of candy too, and I loved them. I remember them being around in the 1960's and 70's, even occasionally in the 1980's. The last time I ever saw them was at a K-Mart about 1991. They were in cellophane bags hanging on a plastic strip at the front register. The red (peppermint) ones were my least favorite flavor, I liked the green ones (spearmint) much better but my favorites were the caramel colored ones-butterscotch!  (and I don't even like any other kind of butterscotch candy).

It's been nearly 20 years now and I have never seen them since. The 'Bobs Sweet Stripes' and other peppermint balls people have shown on this thread are NOT at all the right kind of candy. "Bob's" style of mints are solid all the way through, these air bons were almost all hollow in the middle with just a few sugary strands that dissolved instantly on the tounge. (It's possible though, one of the peppermint puffs type of candy MIGHT  be the correct one. It's extremely hard to tell since they look almost identical.)

<message edited by nostalgicfoodguy on Sun, 01/4/09 4:03 PM>

Cici318
Re:Peppermint Balls - Fri, 03/6/09 1:02 PM
I have been looking for these too, and can't believe so many people are with me on this! My boyfriend used to tell me the candy was like an imaginary friend that only I could remember! I finally did find an older lady that owns a candy store here in town and she remembers them. Unfortunately, she says they were discontinued because of problems with the elderly and children inhaling the entire ball and choking because they were so light. I was so disappointed, so if any of you find this isn't the case, please let me know.

gotmint
Re:Peppermint Balls - Fri, 03/20/09 2:12 AM
I cant get over how many others are trying to find this candy. I loved the peppermint ones. And yes I've tried the chalky versions made by others but NOTHING compares with the flavor and texture of those sweet and wonderful mint bon bons...at least not for me.
   My graqndma used to by them at the K&B here in the New Orleans area they came in a clear plastic bag, I would save my change to be able to by them myself if I could. Haven't seen them for years..of course K&B is gone too...
  I have searched and googled and pretty much given up hope. I found this site and am hope with so many of us out there searching maybe someone will find a company out there who still makes them....Good Luck everyone.

arianej
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Peppermint Balls - Fri, 03/20/09 3:22 AM
Anyone looking for either the soft peppermint stick version or the soft peppermint ball (King Leo brand, I think it was) of this candy might take a look at their nearby dollar stores.  I've seen this at Dollar Tree and Dollar General in the candy section-- usually around Christmas, but at other times as well.

SassyGritsAL
RE: Peppermint Balls - Tue, 03/24/09 5:18 PM
Sorry guys, but the ones you are seeing (the King Leo brand, the ones at the Dollar Tree, Gen. Dol., etc.) are still not the ones the original poster is talking about. I too, have searched for the puffy-type ball mints countless time and I don't think they make them any more. Though, I wish they did. I remember my Mom was hooked on them and we got them at K-Mart (this was abour 40 years ago!).

Wisher
Re:Peppermint Balls - Mon, 04/13/09 9:16 PM
I know exactly what you mean and have never found them.  They are definitely NOT the individually wrapped "peppermint puffs" or "soft peppermints" by Red Bird a lot of people recommend.  Originally they came in a bag like marshmallows, but eventually switched to a container that looked like a coffee can made of cardboard (more air tight).   They might have been made by the Leaf Candy Company, but I'm not sure.

They were definitely round balls about 1" in diameter.  (The Red Bird peppermints are flat on the top and bottom.)   They dissolved in your mouth exactly as you described.  (They didn't melt.)  They were almost like a crunchy cotton-candy.

I've been looking for a long time too - Vermont Country Store, Candy-Crate, Groovy Candy, etc.  They all sell the Red Bird soft peppermint puffs (that are more like buttermints) but no one seems to sell the peppermint puffs that were like small crunchy peppermint cotton-candy balls - white with red stripes.  The red stripes were not always clearly defined.  They were just kind of sprayed on and were sometimes very faint in color. 

welkom1968
Re:Peppermint Balls - Sat, 06/13/09 8:25 AM
I've found the company that made them -- unfortunately they don't make them anymore. It was Whitman's candies in Philadelphia. The product came in a green tin with a picture of the mints which were white with a thin red stripe. The product was called MINT AIR BONS. I have emailed Whitman's trying to find out if they are still available but have not had a reply as yet.

Bacheller
Re:Peppermint Balls - Wed, 02/3/10 8:14 PM
Yes I just found this thread.

I was born in Maine and my grandmother would buy these candies at the local CVS drug store.  They are mint balls that are filled with air and round.  They came in many flavors and I remember buying them before I left Maine for the Army in 1990.  They were cheap and they came in a bag and they were not wrapped. 

I wish that these things could be found somewhere.

Man they were good.

chikpea2459
RE: Peppermint Balls - Sat, 01/15/11 9:04 PM
The Elmer's company has quit making the Bubblets.They are focused on seasonal items now.Believe me I have sent them e-mails over the years begging to have them back.They say no.I'll keep trying!

Foodbme
  • Total Posts : 9544
RE: Peppermint Balls - Sun, 01/16/11 2:35 AM
In the PXH area, get them at:
Sweeties Candy of Arizona
1050 West Chandler Boulevard,
Chandler, AZ 85224
(480) 899-4245 ‎
Along with a lot of other old time candies!

yve
Re:Peppermint Balls - Mon, 07/11/11 12:16 PM
A gentleman who says he works for Russell Stover/Whitman's, posted that Air Bons were going to return to the market at Russell Stover last week.  I live just a few miles from a Russell Stover so I went there as soon as the shipment came in.  They are indeed called "Air Bons" but they are the same thing as Bob's Sweet Stripes and the many other similar mints out there, unfortunately.  They are NOT the super light, airy, literally melt-in-your-mouth mints that I also recall from the 70s that came in peppermint and spearmint and we, as someone else said, like crispy balls of cotton candy.  I am so sorry to tell you guys this!  But please keep me posted if you do hear about the real thing coming back on the market.  Sooooooo good...

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
Re:Peppermint Balls - Mon, 07/11/11 7:29 PM
My father was a school teacher and while he was principal, one of his students brought him some butter flavored peppermint balls.  They were excellent and they would melt in your mouth.  I have never ever had anything like them.  The lady that made them would not give us the recipe.  I wish I had it.

That was 50 years ago.

Papaw Smith passed on about 22 years ago.  I sincerely miss him.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 60 of 72