Clam Box or Woodman's?

katieoaks
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 0
Clam Box or Woodman's? - Sun, 05/7/06 2:43 PM
As a local I am anxious to hear the reviews of the Roadtour diners... It is native debate as to who has the best fried clams!

dreamzpainter
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Sun, 05/7/06 4:29 PM
Did I miss something?? A native of where? Here in NE Fl Woodsman is a BBQ chain.... and I Just realized the difference in spelling... slinking off quietly

Michael Stern
  • Total Posts : 1021
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Sun, 05/7/06 4:39 PM
In my opinion -- and the opinion of just about everyone on the Roadfood Tour this weekend -- there are no clams better than those served at The Clam Box: elegant, crisp, ocean-sweet, addictive.

owalston
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Sun, 05/7/06 5:41 PM
As a humble Brit (albeit with an American wife and American children) will I be offending the natives unduly if I say that I have found fried oysters and fried clams invariably have too much flour and fried stuff attached and not enough clam or oyster?

In theory these should be wonderful but, alas, they are all too often deep-fried chinks of something.

Please tell me (a) if I am wrong and (b) where I should go to correct this misapprehension.

katieoaks
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Sun, 05/7/06 9:27 PM
Wow! I knew he was good! The tour's food at the Clam Box was cooked by Dale, who has been there for 30 years!They have a geat crew there!

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17848
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Sun, 05/7/06 10:02 PM
Michael, it is unfair of you to torture those of us who live in Ohio with a photo such as the one you posted of those amazingly beautiful fried clams.

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4086
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Mon, 05/8/06 11:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by dreamzpainter

Did I miss something?? A native of where? Here in NE Fl Woodsman is a BBQ chain.... and I Just realized the difference in spelling... slinking off quietly
Slink not dreamz, this is a fair question. Woodman's is also a well known grocery store chain in south central and southeast Wisconsin. It could have easily been encountered by the participants of the Cheesehead in Beer Town Tour last weekend. Of course fried clams are not really a specialty of that region, so perhaps we can slink together.

Buddy

acornlover
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Mon, 05/8/06 8:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Stern

In my opinion -- and the opinion of just about everyone on the Roadfood Tour this weekend -- there are no clams better than those served at The Clam Box: elegant, crisp, ocean-sweet, addictive.

WOW What a great picture, I have not been to the Clam box in many years ...too crowded, but oh I may try it again!
Cheers
KB

Holly Moore
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Mon, 05/8/06 10:08 PM
Where is the rule that it has to be either/or? Especially road food and especially when the Clam Box and Woodman's are only a few miles away. And especial when, if nothing else, history is with Woodman's where legend has it, their legend at least, that Woodman's invented the fried clam. Just like Pat's in Philadelphia. There may be better cheesesteaks in the city, but you've got to try Pat's at least once because they are the first.

My first visit to Woodman's ten or fifteen years ag - the clams were fantastic. I think they're still very good though nowadays probably not as consistant as the Clam Box. And not as good a value.

You owe it to yourself to try both. Then drive down to Johnny Ads in Old Sudburry CT which to my taste has the best fried clams below the Maine state line.

peabodypride
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Tue, 05/9/06 12:51 AM
Neither, try White Cap restaurant on High St.

Home run.

acornlover
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Tue, 05/9/06 6:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by peabodypride

Neither, try White Cap restaurant on High St.

Home run.

Peabody, where is the White Cap?

katieoaks
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Tue, 05/9/06 7:16 AM
The White Cap closed three years ago. It is now an American-Italian restaurant which I wouldn't recommend

RC51Mike
  • Total Posts : 443
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Tue, 05/9/06 8:13 AM
I agree with Holly (who I think stole my Pat's analogy from a different thread about Central Grocery ) When it comes to food, "best" is tough to pin down. Life it too short to not go to both. I happen to like the Clambox due to its programmatic architecture.

peabodypride
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Wed, 05/10/06 12:58 AM
Sorry to see the passing of White Cap. I confirmed that it is gone for about 3 years. Go to Dube's in Salem or Kings RB in Salem, both very respectable.

Akavar
  • Total Posts : 361
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Wed, 05/10/06 7:45 AM
I am not sure where this thread is heading, but FWIW, having been on the Saturday tour, I liked Clam Box more.

Akavar

lleechef
  • Total Posts : 6253
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Wed, 05/10/06 5:46 PM
Oh my, those clams look lovely. I'd pick the Clam Box in Ipswich over Woodman's in Essex. Glad you all had a good tour. I have eaten at all the places listed. Sorry I couldn't make it.

jvsmom
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Wed, 05/10/06 6:03 PM
What about Farnham's? They haven't gone out of business, have they? I always thought they could hold their own up against Woodman's. I don't think either place's clams were necessarily better or worse, just slightly different.

I do prefer the Clam Box, though. And after seeing these pictures, I am soooo going there this weekend.

katieoaks
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Thu, 05/11/06 7:05 AM
JVSMom, Nope, Farnham's is still there. Mr Stern gave then a terrible review, but in all fairness, anyone can have a bad day. It is interesting you mention their clams are "different". I had a talk with the Clam Box cook regarding the Fried Clam recipe, claimed to be from there, which posted elsewhere in this site and he says it is definately not the Clam Box recipe and he thinks it's Farnham's. This recipe contains cinnamon, which would attribute to a "diffent" flavor. The recipe is buried in the Seafood/Fried Clam pages. Essex Seafood is good too. For other types of Seafood, try The Causeway on Rt 133 in Gloucester; great food, ample portions at good prices!

jvsmom
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Thu, 05/11/06 7:48 PM
Thanks, Katie. Where is the terrible review? I checked the review on this site and it's excellent. Has he reviewed it again since 2001? If that's so, it's a shame. Since we discovered both places a few years ago (thanks to roadfood.com) we've kind of made it a tradition to go to either Woodman's or Farnham's for Mother's Day, and the other one for Father's Day. I can't say I prefer one or the other, but my kids prefer Woodman's onion rings, I think because they are covered in more of a batter, whereas Farnham's seems to be more of a breading.

The only drawback I can think of to Farnham's is that the last time we were there, they didn't serve clam cakes. We were told that that was because they hadn't found a recipe they felt was good enough to add to their menu. That may have changed by now. But, the clam plates (any seafood plate, for that matter) are so big and filling that you really don't miss them. I just like to have a clam cake now and then for old time's sake.

Michael Hoffman
  • Total Posts : 17848
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Thu, 05/11/06 9:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Holly Moore

You owe it to yourself to try both. Then drive down to Johnny Ads in Old Sudburry CT which to my taste has the best fried clams below the Maine state line.

That's Old Saybrook.

Holly Moore
  • Total Posts : 313
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Thu, 05/11/06 11:15 PM
Yup. Oops.

Jimeats
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Fri, 05/12/06 6:00 AM
The Causeway Rest. is a must stop if in the Gloucester area. You get a lot of bang for your buck there. Not only is the seafood outstanding but the Italian fare is also worth the trip. Also never mentioned here is the Choate Bridge Pub in Ipswich I have never been dissapointed with their Fried Clams or anything else for that matter, good honest food at a fair price. Chow Jim

katieoaks
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Sat, 05/13/06 9:49 AM
Chow Jim! We couldn't agree more! Going to the Causeway tonight for dinner!Maybe I'll bring my camera and submit my first roadffod reveiw, now that word is out on this place!Never had a bad meal at "The Pub" either.We usually get pizza, burgers or grilled tips at "the Pub".

dale8783
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Wed, 05/17/06 7:57 PM
Bubbling Brook in Westwood MA has the best whole fried clams. www.bubblingbrook.net.

katieoaks
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Thu, 05/18/06 8:50 AM
Thanks for the tip Dale! Sounds like a road trip in in order!Do they do baked haddock too?

renfrew
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Thu, 05/18/06 9:40 AM
In addition to Farnham's, another one to try is Essex Seafood. Often a sleeper contestant. Also on 133.

Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Thu, 05/18/06 10:05 AM
Dale, Katie (or anyone else). Bubbling Brook sounds interesting, sounds mostly like an ice-cream stand (which can sometimes mean good clams). Has anyone tried Red Wing on Route 1 near Gillette Stadium? Some people swear by them. Tried them once and thought they were pretty good (and we rarely eat fried shellfish West of the Orleans Rotary). Wonder if you can compare Red Wing clams to Bubbling Brook.

FYI - for atmosphere Red Wing is an old expanded diner with a happy barroom in the original diner section. Bar pies look and smell pretty good, too.

Mew_Blackberri
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Mon, 04/30/07 12:26 AM
XP Clam Box rocks the boat. I can't wait to go back up north to visit relatives and old friends once more. I love the clam box, not for the clams but for the scallops. I never really liked clams but most other seafood is good for me. Where exactly is the Woodsman's place located?

mollydingle
  • Total Posts : 221
RE: Clam Box or Woodman's? - Fri, 05/4/07 9:33 PM
Not a big fan of Woodman's. Haven't been to the Clambox yet, but will this summer. We usually head to Brown's in NH.
I also have heard the Red Wing is very good.