Looking for Crispie's Recipe

Junior Burger
2006/05/12 14:49:41
I grew up in Kansas. They had a pastry that was called a "Crispy". I was able to find it also in other surrounding states: MO, KY It is a thin crust with cinamon and sugar on it. It does not taste like a pie crust baked, and you cannot taste the shortening in it. Does anyone have a recipe for this?
linda7lacy
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for Crispie's Recipe 2007/02/18 18:59:18
I grew up in Iowa and we had this pastry as well. The place I found it in Iowa was at the Hy-Vee grocery store. I now live in Austin, TX and found it at H.E.B. grocery store. I am also interested in the receipe. My husband has tried them too and said "you need to get the recipe."

Let me know if you find one.

Thanks!
6star
Filet Mignon
RE: Looking for Crispie's Recipe 2007/02/20 13:13:49
Could this be a version (or a cousin) of a Pizzelle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzelle
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Looking for Crispie's Recipe 2007/02/20 13:40:31
Crispy as I know of is a 10 or 12 inch flour tortilla cut up into 1/8ths (pizza slice style) then deep fried. It puffs up like a pasty. After draining it for a few seconds, dredge in a sugar/cinnamon mixture.

RecipeLover326
Junior Burger
RE: Looking for Crispie's Recipe 2008/05/01 11:44:40

Danish Crispies

SERVINGS: 24
METHOD: Baked
TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min.

Ingredients:
1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
3 egg yolks
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter

FILLING:
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

TOPPING:
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg yolks and remaining sugar and water; mix well.

Combine the flour, milk powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add to yeast mixture to make a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top; cover and refrigerate overnight.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rest for 10 minutes. Roll into an 18-in. x 10-in. rectangle; spread with softened butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Pinch edges to seal. Cut into 3/4-in. slices.

Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle some on waxed paper. Place slices, cut side down, on cinnamon-sugar; roll each into a 5-in. circle, turning to coat both sides and adding cinnamon-sugar as needed. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle tops with leftover cinnamon-sugar if desired. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.

Yield: about 2 dozen.