Please -- need summer squash recipes

Cheeseburger
2003/06/24 18:50:33
We have 2 zucchini, 1 patty pan and 1 crookneck squash plant. We can't keep up with them. We are drowning in squash. Need new ideas!

Help! " />
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/24 19:46:15
hehehe Cat, As They Say--"Squash Happens" !!
When we reach saturation we set up a table out by the road and put the extra's on it with a coffe can and a sign that says 10 cents each... They usually go pretty quick !! I used to take a bag full to school or to my college classes and let the students take them home to mama, that worked well also.
The best thing I ever did with patti-pan (Golden Sunrise) was work with a neighbor and made bread and butter pickle chunks..They were outstanding.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/25 05:20:22
I will assume you are already making zucchini bread, zucchini fritters, etc. If not, I can send you recipes. I like to BBQ that combo of squashes and then make a "roasted vegetable" quiche.

When I have a surplus of zukes I either get a lot of tomato sauce or make a simple spaghetti sauce and boil the chopped zukes in it...as many as you can cram in. Then I freeze it in freezer bags or those new Ziplock plastic storage thingies. Then year-round I can just toss a frozen block into the pot any time I'm making spaghetti sauce. I also do that with fresh basil and freeze it in the ice cube tray to throw in sauces.
RubyRose
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/25 07:20:19
SUMMER SKILLET SUPPER

1 (1 lb.) fully-cooked ham slice
2 large tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium size green pepper
1 medium size onion
1 medium size yellow squash (about 1/ 2 lb.)
2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb. total)
3 Tbs. olive oil
1/ 2 cup chicken broth or 1 envelope instant chicken broth mixed with 1/ 2 cup water
2 tsp.fresh chopped basil or 1/ 2 tsp. dried basil
1/ 2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp. pepper

Cut ham into 1/ 4 inch strips, about 1-1/ 2 inches long. Cut each tomato into 8 wedges; cut pepper into 1/ 2 inch wide strips and onion into thin lengthwise slivers. Cut squashes into 1/ 4 inch wide slices, halving lengthwise if larger than 1 inch in diameter.

In wok or large skillet over medium high heat, cook ham and all vegetables, except tomatoes, in hot oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes; stir and cook until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add tomato wedges and continue cooking until tomatoes are heated through.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/25 09:55:30
Zucchini Pancakes (an old recipe of my Mother's)

2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, separated
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper (yeah, right, what's the point? Add MORE)
1 small grated onion

Stir everything together except the egg whites. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl, then fold in to the other mixture. Fry these in very shallow oil.

I tried these once on a non-stick pancake maker, and they came out good. Didn't taste the same as "Mom's", though, so I still fry them in oil.
RubyRose
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/25 19:14:33
This makes an interesting hot dog relish but we like it best on warm ham sandwiches on kaiser rolls with a little BBQ sauce smeared on top.

ZUCCHINI RELISH

2 1/ 2 cups finely chopped zucchini
1 medium onion, chopped
1/ 2 cup chopped green pepper
1 1/ 4 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar
1/ 2 cup plus 2 Tbs. vinegar
1 1/ 2 tsp. celery seed
1/ 4 tsp. ground mustard
1/8 tsp. ground tumeric
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 Tbs. water

In a bowl, combine, the zucchini, onion, green pepper and salt; cover and refrigerate overnight. Rinse and drain well; set aside. In a saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed, mustard and tumeric; bring to a boil. Add vegetable mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into saucepan. Simmer 6-8 minutes longer, stirring often. Cool. Store, covered, in refrigerator. Makes about 2 cups.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/26 08:31:12
One word .... NEIGHBORS !!!

Give'em as much as you can bear to part with !!!!!
Lucky Bishop
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/26 18:44:54
An old New Mexico standard: calabacitas!

Cube 2 pounds yellow and/or green summer squash. Dice one large onion and saute in olive oil with 2 cloves garlic, smashed, until limp. Add either 2 large cans of diced tomatoes in juice or two pounds of roughly chopped fresh tomatoes (only if they're properly ripe and in season: supermarket tomatoes are useless), cubed squash, and roasted green chile (fresh, frozen, canned, whatever you have) to taste. Add water or your stock of choice just to cover. Simmer, covered, over medium-low heat until squash is just tender. Add 1 teaspoon cumin and salt and pepper to taste, boil for a couple of minutes and serve on the side of some nice grilled meat or fish.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 05:27:22
When I have zukes, they seem to multiply overnight. I slice them along with onions, bell peppers and other veggies, use some olive oil, salt and pepper and put them on the grill with what ever I happen to be grilling.

I saw the Mayors grill in one of his posted pics. I think I would like one like that.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 18:17:30
My mother takes squash, splits it, puts in brown sugar syrup and bakes it until it turns brown.

I have not seen it like that served anywhere but since I was raised on it, I sorta like it.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 18:31:39
I make a pizza that uses shreaded zucchini as the main part of the crust and then just top it like a normal pizza.
Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 18:51:07
quote:
Originally posted by vinelady

I make a pizza that uses shreaded zucchini as the main part of the crust and then just top it like a normal pizza.

Vinelady, don't tease us like that. What's your recipe??
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 19:02:20
Sorry,

OK I think this is what I do. The end result is a very very think batter, if that thin. Make sure that you press the zucchini to get out as much water was possible (if you don't it is still edible but not crusty).

I will warn you that these number might not be right. I haven't measured in years.

3-4 shredded zucchini, well drained
3/4 c-1c flour (1/4 per zucchini)
2 eggs
1-2 cups shredded parm cheese

Mix together and place in bottom of a large rectangular cake pan. Top with favorite sauces (I prefer Pesto), cheese, and other toppings.

Bake at 350 until cheese is golden and crust is a bit bubblely.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 19:26:10
Sounds good Vinelady, but do you salt and pepper before or after or not at all?

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
vinelady
Cheeseburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 19:37:44
You can, I don't tend to, as I almost never use salt and I think that the parm cheese and pesto add plenty of salt and flavoring.
Eric H.
Junior Burger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 22:58:28
quote:
Originally posted by Catracks

We have 2 zucchini, 1 patty pan and 1 crookneck squash plant. We can't keep up with them. We are drowning in squash. Need new ideas!

Help! " />

The best way to keep up on zucchini is to not let the squash form in the first place. So eat the blossoms!

There are a ton of different ways to do it, but generally we take one (or more) of the following cheeses; ricotta, mozzarella (regular, smoked or fresh), goat or parmesan. Mix in some sauted garlic and/or shallot or onion. Some herbs that seem appropriate, such as parsley, rosemary, etc. Salt & pepper, maybe some bread crumbs. You can also add some sort of seasoning to raise the heat quotient if you like.

You can then either saute them in a pan of butter, carefully turning them to brown on each side or dip them in an egg wash & bread crumb coating beforehand and then fry 'em. Don't sweat it if some of the filling leaks out.

Rather than saying "it tastes like chicken" the usual reply to "what do zucchini flowers taste like?" is that they taste like a mushrooms. Sorta. Javascript:insertsmilie('%5B;)%5D')

Eric
emmymom
Hamburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/06/27 23:25:52
CURRIED YELLOW SQUASH SOUP

Saute a sliced onion and a chopped up clove of garlic, then add about a half teaspoon of curry powder, and saute briefly to release the spice flavors. Then add chicken broth and chunked up yellow squash. Simmer till the squash is tender, then puree in a blender. Add an undiluted can of evaporated milk (or a cup of heavy cream if you MUST) and reheat. Great hot or cold.
Hiram Callahan
Cheeseburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/07/15 18:23:16
Here's a terrific recipe for a starch/vegetable dish, available on the web at http://cheftochef.net/r/7/A07351.shtml:

Ingredients

(6 servings)

1/4 c Onion; Chopped, 1 Sm
2 tb Margarine Or Butter
2 tb Vegetable Oil
3 Zucchini; Md., *
2 c Tomatoes; Chopped, 2 Md
20 oz Hominy; Drained, 1 cn
2 tb Lime Juice
1 tb Chile Powder
1 ts Salt
1 ds Pepper

* Cut the zucchini into 1/2-inch pieces. ------------------ Cook and stir the onion in the margarine and oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.

I personally think it's a little light on the squash myself, so I usually add more, even though I use a 15-oz. can of hominy. This is also great cold the next day.
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/07/15 18:45:30
I put them in the refrigerator, wrapped tightly in a brown paper bag, and discard them two months later.

Eric
EliseT
Filet Mignon
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/07/15 20:28:49
quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

I put them in the refrigerator, wrapped tightly in a brown paper bag, and discard them two months later.

Eric

You stole my recipe! But you forgot to add the celery!
VibrationGuy
Cheeseburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/07/15 21:15:32
Elise:

What's *great* about this recipe is that it can be used for leftovers and takeout cartons! It's really versatile.

Eric, Who Just Completed Putting All The Racks In The Fridge Through The Dishwasher (What A Better Way Than Wiping It Out Like Mom Does)

Bushie
Filet Mignon
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/07/15 21:21:53
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

quote:
Originally posted by VibrationGuy

Eric

You stole my recipe! But you forgot to add the celery!

quote:

What's *great* about this recipe is that it can be used for leftovers and takeout cartons! It's really versatile.

You two crack me up!!
ocdreamr
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/07/16 00:08:43
Here in Md if we can't can't have crab we make belive it is. This is a pretty well liked recipe.

Mock Crab Cakes

2 C peeled, grated & drained zucchini
2 eggs
1 TBSP mayo
1 1/2 tsp Old Bay
1 1/2 c dried bread crumbs
2Tbsp grated onion
pinch of salt

Mix togetgether, make cakes, roll in flour & fry until brown
SkyyeBlue
Junior Burger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 11:51:20
Cattracks, you might enjoy a recipe on the foodtv website... "German Style Apple Sausage Bake"... sounds weird, I stumbled across it looking for a recipe for kielbasa... anyway, it's got apples, kielbasa, potatoes, green peppers, onions, zucchini and cheese in it, basically, but when I make it I have added yellow squash and extra layers of zucchini. The recipe makes a huge casserole plus a 9"x9" square dish too. The trick is to slice the everything except the kielbasa very thin. I like to add a little extra spice, and I've also tried it with sweet potatoes too, it gave it a different flavor. It freezes very well.

Here's a link... enjoy! http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_8792,00.html
Rusty246
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 12:10:16
I've got a great squash casserole recipe(at home)I'll post for you tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if it, or something very similar is posted before then with all the great cooks on this board. It basically involves squash, I use both the zucchini and crookneck, makes for a nice color. Onion, eggs, cheese, flour, italian bread crumbs on top, bake, cool slightly. Slice and serve as a side. It's fantastic. I also make and S.O.B. casserole, which is basically the same, but with Squash, Onion, and Broccoli.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 13:27:19
About the blossoms, my Italian grandfather used to plant squash (preferably pumpkins because the flowers are larger)and let a few flowers produce fruit, but the majority of the flowers were picked and wound up on our table. He picked them early in the AM before the bugs got there and washed them and let them sit in a collander. Then he would stuff them with duxelles laced with gorgonzola, dip them in batter and deep-fry. This was the usual accompaniment to breaded veal cutlets and a green salad. Makes for a tasty end of the summer lunch.
Rusty246
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 13:44:51
May I ask what "duxelles" are?
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 13:55:23
Duxelles is a mushroom mixture: finely chopped shallots and garlic sweated in butter, then finely chopped mushrooms (my grandfather used to go out in the woods and pick wild ones and mix with a few domestic ones) are added and cooked until all liquid evaporates. Then white or red wine or Madeira or sherry is added and again cooked until liquid is gone. At this point you can embellish with cheese, parsley or whatever. It's especially good used to stuff a veal or pork roast. I used to mix cooked sweetbreads and Roquefort in with duxelles and stuff boneless chicken legs/thighs.
Rusty246
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 14:20:48
Wow, that sounds GREAT. Whould this be something you could add a little crab meat to and use the mixture to stuff mushrooms?? Sounds good to me anyway.
Alirush
Hamburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 14:23:56
How my mom used to make a healthy vegetable into something as good for us as fried twinkies (but better tasting):

Saute sliced zucchini in LOTS of butter. Add sour cream, dill, a teaspoon or so of sugar, and lemon juice to taste. Let it simmer for a bit.

The measurements don't matter so much; just taste as you go.

One of those weird food combinations that works...at least in my family!
Lone Star
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 14:32:10
Here is one of my long time favorites

HOPKINS BOARDING HOUSE SQUASH CASSEROLE

3 lbs. yellow squash, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup cracker crumbs or cracker meal
1 tsp. salt

***you don't have to stick with just the yellow squash, sometimes I mix yellow and zucchini.
DIRECTIONS:
Cook squash, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well, and mash. Set aside. Sauté onion in butter until tender. Add onion, eggs, cracker crumbs, salt, and pepper to squash; stir well. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° F. for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Rusty246
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 14:50:46
Yes, I knew it Lone Star, that's very close to mine but I add some sharp cheddar, no cracker crumbs, then put the italian bread crumbs on top before baking. Your're sounds just as delicious.
LizzieR
Hamburger
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/10 22:02:04
I have two great squash recipes. One is for zucchini lasagna, using the zucchini sliced lengthwise instead of lasagna noodles. Make according to your regular lasagna recipe. Delicious!! Paula Dean from the Food Network TV show has a great squash casserole using sauted squash, onion, sour cream, shredded cheese and Ritz cracker crumbs. Go to the Food-TV website and access her recipe or I'll post it later. Just be very sure to squeeze out extra moisture from cooked squash in tea towel before mixing with other ingredients. Otherwise, it will come out too watery. This is one fabulous recipe that everyone loves!
redtressed
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/14 20:11:25
There's never enough squash to satisfy my passion for it......y'all are just plain silly.As for some recipes:

Stone Crab Zucchini(Can substitute yellow of course)
2 large zucchini
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk
Couple dashes of hot sauce of choice
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Accent
1 tsp paprika
2 packages Japanese Breadcrumbs
1 cup melted margarine or butter
2 cups mixed grated fresh hard chesses(parmesean, asiago, romano etc)
OR
1 Cup pre grated hard cheeses(i.e. Kraft in a can)

Cut off top and bottom of squash. Half the squash through it's width. Slice the squash into long , thin, flat strips and set aside. To the cup of flour add salt , pepper, accent, garlic powder and paprika and pour onto a plate for dredging. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk and hot sauce together. Pour Japanese breadcrumbs onto other large plate. Dredge zucchini slices through flour, coat in the egg batter then dredge through the breadcrumbs. Lay flay on large shallow cookie sheets or jellyroll pans. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over slices, reserving half. Pop into a 400 oven and let bake until tops are slightly brown. Remove from oven and flip slices over and drizzle. After 7 mins remove again and sprinkle grated cheeses over and return to oven until cheese is bubbly. Serve hot with a horseradish or ranch dip.