Slow Smoker BBQ business

ScoMac
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
Slow Smoker BBQ business - Wed, 06/25/03 1:40 AM
Hello all!

I am new to this forums and I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read this topic.

I am pit master down in Texas. I have been planning out my entry in the retail foods world selling my BBQ as well as selling my BBQ services for catering. Now I am not trying to sell anything here nor promote, I am just looking for some honest opinions from strangers.

Seeing as I would be new to the scene and currently only my friends and family know the taste of my cooking. I have been toying with the idea of a 6 month program promotion. Something along the lines of $50-$75 dollars flat fee. What that does would cover you for 6 months worth of BBQ based on preferences. Those preferences would be types of BBQ wanted. The BBQ would be shipped 2 day to your door twice a month for the 6 month period. The meat packages would be 1-2 lbs up to 6 lbs depending prefence selection. Now obviously during this 6 month promotional period I would look to get some feedback via the website or return mailer in the packaging. Depending on the turn out and feedback from the 6 months period then I would start main stream and for all those that signed up for the promotional would get some sort of a reward. Maybe a free shipment of food or special coupons only for those folks.

My question to y'all is would this be a promotional program that would interest you? or am I way off the deep end with the idea. Also if you think it is a good ideal but want to add your thoughts please do so.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this topic,
Scott MacFarland

EliseT
  • Total Posts : 2849
RE: Slow Smoker BBQ business - Wed, 06/25/03 5:02 AM
Personally, committing 50 or more dollars for 6 months of BBQ I've never tried is a little like buying a pig in a poke. My recommendation for the catering side would be to hit all of the "taste of..." benefits and festivals you can and let people get hooked starting with a low commitment on their part. If your BBQ is good, word of mouth will spread and then you can start doing mail-order based on that reputation. If you want to get into mail-order right away you might want to hit the "food shows" to see how other people are doing it and possibly sell directly to retailers.

ScoMac
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: Slow Smoker BBQ business - Wed, 06/25/03 10:45 AM
EliseT-

Good ideas, thank you for your suggestion. I am planning on getting out to many of the festivals and cook-offs around texas the remainder of this year.